Car Talk 4: The Poverty Jalopy 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 pm

MrH42 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm
18 year old Honda life. True baller status.
He could have one if he didn't turn all his money into fat vape clouds

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm

Image
Image
Image

Why is the steering wheel bigger on top?

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21844
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 pm

:popcorn: as expected....

One more week and we get to see it in full "glory"

User avatar
CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6159
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:35 pm
Drives: nothing
Location: Somewhere else

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm
Image
Image
Image

Why is the steering wheel bigger on top?
Such KITT, so 80's.

There is no emoji as ugly as that, or that relays how much disgust that evokes.

:lolol:

That design was leaked almost a year ago with that console.. :puke:
I'm on my last bag of peas.

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2678
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 pm

:gag:

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21844
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Lets take a look at the partbin mess....
Samsung Ipad knock off glued to dash
Signal stalk - Camero
Headrests - Camero
Pedals - Camero
That flat bottom wheel is straight up, its just flat for the of being flat. THe MoRe SqUaRe tHe MoRe PeRfoRmAnCe :gag:

User avatar
Gberg2119
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 2678
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm
Drives: Misfiring Egg
Location: Philly

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:06 pm

max225 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm
Lets take a look at the partbin mess....
Samsung Ipad knock off glued to dash
Signal stalk - Camero
Headrests - Camero
Pedals - Camero
That flat bottom wheel is straight up, its just flat for the of being flat. THe MoRe SqUaRe tHe MoRe PeRfoRmAnCe :gag:
2 spoke steering wheels just look weird. I always see a smiley face when the gauges are on. Newer Mercedes for example.

User avatar
CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6159
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:35 pm
Drives: nothing
Location: Somewhere else

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Gberg2119 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:06 pm
max225 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:01 pm
Lets take a look at the partbin mess....
Samsung Ipad knock off glued to dash
Signal stalk - Camero
Headrests - Camero
Pedals - Camero
That flat bottom wheel is straight up, its just flat for the of being flat. THe MoRe SqUaRe tHe MoRe PeRfoRmAnCe :gag:
2 spoke steering wheels just look weird. I always see a smiley face when the gauges are on. Newer Mercedes for example.
10 minutes with a hacksaw:


Image

4th gen Camaro:

Image
I'm on my last bag of peas.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21844
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 pm

So retro much wow

User avatar
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 5115
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:42 am
Drives: Ford Party ST
Location: Columbus, IN

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

:burnout: :woodplow: :aintcare:
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am

Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30127
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:59 am

Yea, I'm not going to pass judgement before seeing the entire thing.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
Huckleberry
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am
Drives: 2004 GTO
Location: Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Detroit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:02 pm
MrH42 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:08 pm
Sports car just = $$$ to some people.

People act like I'm :fancy: rolling up in an 18 year old S2000.
This is an outstanding point. Having a second vehicle in general is quite a luxury to most.
I have four. Most people don't understand that three of which were purchased as undrivable specimens.

User avatar
Huckleberry
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Posts: 447
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am
Drives: 2004 GTO
Location: Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:23 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
It has flappy paddles, mayne. Totally the same experience.

User avatar
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 30127
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 am
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
No idea. I know both were being engineered/considered not too long ago.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

User avatar
MrH42
Spinbait
Spinbait
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:13 pm
Drives: '01 S2000, '18 Accord 2.0t

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:29 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
Big D?
:disgust:

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21844
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:47 pm

MrH42 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:29 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
Big D?
:disgust:
:dedong:

User avatar
CaleDeRoo
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 pm
Drives: C5
Location: Western NY

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:53 pm

MrH42 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:29 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
Big D?
:disgust:
That's what I'm calling Detroit since he's tall.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32328
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

That center stack borrows design cues from a Jersey barrier :notbad:

User avatar
CorvetteWaxer
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Posts: 6159
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:35 pm
Drives: nothing
Location: Somewhere else

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
From R&T (and everywhere else):
It Might Be Dual-Clutch Only
While GM has filed a patent for a clutch-by-wire system that replaces the traditional hydraulic master- and slave-cylinder mechanism with an electronic actuator, many signs point to the C8 being a dual-clutch only affair.

Back in 2016, our colleagues at Car and Driver reported that the C8 would use a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox sourced from Tremec. Of its seven speeds, the top three are overdrives, and Tremec says it can handle 9000 rpm input speed and 664 lb-ft of torque.

Car and Driver argues that Chevy will only offer this Corvette with one gearbox to reduce cost and complexity, but a world without a manual-transmission 'Vette is hard to imagine. Still, a dual-clutch would be a big improvement over the current Corvette's eight-speed auto.
But Corvette Engineering and the Lead Engineer said the 8 speed is "just as fast" and "in some cases faster than the PDK" ! ? !

Latest word is that they may use the exact same ZF transmission that is in the 2020 992 Porsche 911.

I would hope sometime after the launch they have a manual option available to order.
I'm on my last bag of peas.

User avatar
max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 21844
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 am
Drives: Kamry XSE

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:24 pm

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:41 am
Yo big D is the C8 going to be DCT only?
From R&T (and everywhere else):
It Might Be Dual-Clutch Only
While GM has filed a patent for a clutch-by-wire system that replaces the traditional hydraulic master- and slave-cylinder mechanism with an electronic actuator, many signs point to the C8 being a dual-clutch only affair.

Back in 2016, our colleagues at Car and Driver reported that the C8 would use a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox sourced from Tremec. Of its seven speeds, the top three are overdrives, and Tremec says it can handle 9000 rpm input speed and 664 lb-ft of torque.

Car and Driver argues that Chevy will only offer this Corvette with one gearbox to reduce cost and complexity, but a world without a manual-transmission 'Vette is hard to imagine. Still, a dual-clutch would be a big improvement over the current Corvette's eight-speed auto.
But Corvette Engineering and the Lead Engineer said the 8 speed is "just as fast" and "in some cases faster than the PDK" ! ? !

Latest word is that they may use the exact same ZF transmission that is in the 2020 992 Porsche 911.

I would hope sometime after the launch they have a manual option available to order.
Manual take rate on rarries was what 2-5%?

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32328
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:47 pm

max225 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:24 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm


From R&T (and everywhere else):


But Corvette Engineering and the Lead Engineer said the 8 speed is "just as fast" and "in some cases faster than the PDK" ! ? !

Latest word is that they may use the exact same ZF transmission that is in the 2020 992 Porsche 911.

I would hope sometime after the launch they have a manual option available to order.
Manual take rate on rarries was what 2-5%?
Cardi B can’t be bothered with a clutch.

User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32328
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:06 pm


User avatar
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Posts: 32328
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 am
Drives: Burble
Location: Blowin' fat stacks in Philly

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Why is it squoval?

User avatar
troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Posts: 13711
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:15 am
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln
Location: Hoth

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Why is it squoval?
Do you even racecar, bro?

Image

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests