Forza Motorsports (the racetrack one for racing and wheels and stuff)

Gamers gonna game, game, game, game.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Who here has experience with iRacing? I played it 4 years ago in a very expensive setup.

With FH4 being useless for a steering wheel and my desire to get some form of seat time since I own a POS miata. I thought that iRacing may be a good alternative. Ive already got a gaming PC. All I would need is a better wheel/setup and the game.

Who likes it? Is the game worth the time and money that will be required for entry? Would a Logitech g920 suffice for a wheel?
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

i have never played. g920 should be good beginner setup. Why is FH4 giving you fits on the steering?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:wrong:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 am:wrong:
I found this post super informative.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The game requires a decent time commitment to really get anything out of it IMO. You can't pick it up for an hour a week. That's what has kept me away, not enough free time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 am The game requires a decent time commitment to really get anything out of it IMO. You can't pick it up for an hour a week. That's what has kept me away, not enough free time.
yea, if its anything like project cars, which i think it is.

Like i'm decent at forza. After years of casual playing, with all the assists off & set on simulation, i can bang out some pretty good laps (say, top 30% of users) in just about any car on a familiar track.

I looked like I had never turn a wheel in anger with project cars2. I eventually went back to forza; the learning curve is too high at this point. I play to enjoy it.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 am:wrong:
I found this post super informative.
:fullretard:

there are better platforms for less.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:30 am The game requires a decent time commitment to really get anything out of it IMO. You can't pick it up for an hour a week. That's what has kept me away, not enough free time.
yea, if its anything like project cars, which i think it is.

Like i'm decent at forza. After years of casual playing, with all the assists off & set on simulation, i can bang out some pretty good laps (say, top 30% of users) in just about any car on a familiar track.

I looked like I had never turn a wheel in anger with project cars2. I eventually went back to forza; the learning curve is too high at this point. I play to enjoy it.
This is why I like FH4. I can pick it up for an hour here and there and have fun. No stress or anything, just kill an hour or so with some videogame :stig:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I played it for a couple years when it first launched. I've been a fan of the developers games for a long time (Grand Prix Legends anyone? anyone?).

As Troy said, it's not really something you can pick up and play particularly as you graduate to the higher racing tiers and it's ultimately why I stopped - I was organizing days around making sure I was available at my scheduled race time.

Cost adds up with tracks and cars + monthly subscription

That said, it is a very immersive and accurate sim. The audience is generally mature, so you don't get a bunch of 13 year olds straight-lining the last chicane to take you out because you kicked their ass for the last hour. The penalty system keeps things in check - IE if you drive like a dick you're going to get held back or put in time-out.

I often consider building a rig just for the game from time-to-time, but as I said in my first point - it's not a game that's easy to pick up and race.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote:i have never played. g920 should be good beginner setup. Why is FH4 giving you fits on the steering?
I’m currently using the cheap Ferrari wheel and it’s terrible. The first instance of oversteer is impossible to correct. No matter what setting I change for either the wheel of the game it’s impossible. I started looking into other wheels and began reading a few forums and reddit threads about how FH4 is not wheel friendly and that it requires major changes to setting from car to car.

It’s pretty much turned me off from the game because I want to use a wheel. A controller is fine for small usage. But I’m trying to get more involved and increase my skill level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote:i have never played. g920 should be good beginner setup. Why is FH4 giving you fits on the steering?
I’m currently using the cheap Ferrari wheel and it’s terrible. The first instance of oversteer is impossible to correct. No matter what setting I change for either the wheel of the game it’s impossible. I started looking into other wheels and began reading a few forums and reddit threads about how FH4 is not wheel friendly and that it requires major changes to setting from car to car.

It’s pretty much turned me off from the game because I want to use a wheel. A controller is fine for small usage. But I’m trying to get more involved and increase my skill level.

FH4 is the open-world arcade-y version of Forza. It has amazing scenery, cars, races, etc. but it's more controller friendly because physics Forza Motorsport they are not. Still, it is a helluva lot of fun.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I used a previous iteration of the 920 when I played and it was excellent. You can go :fullretard: on wheels, but I'd start at the 920 and go from there.

Edit: it was a G27 https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-941-000 ... B001NT9TK4
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

I use a T300RS and a Rift for my iRacing setup. I enjoy it, I'll go at it for a couple months at a time and then stop for a while until I see the renewal charge show up on my account :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Get forza motorsport. Its fuckin real nice with the wheel, esp if you get the g920. Its what i have.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

razr390 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 am

FH4 is the open-world arcade-y version of Forza. It has amazing scenery, cars, races, etc. but it's more controller friendly because physics Forza Motorsport they are not. Still, it is a helluva lot of fun.
Well no shit. But it shouldnt be impossible to use a wheel in this game.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Forza motorsport interests me, but I has no xBone.
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am Forza motorsport interests me, but I has no xBone.
I prefer FH over motorsports for the scenery. But for true racing motorsports is a much better game.

A used xbone is much cheaper. You should look into one if you want to race more.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:41 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am Forza motorsport interests me, but I has no xBone.
An xBone is cheaper than an RS. :doit:
:dat: :math:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:notwrong:

but everyone else play FH.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm

:notwrong:

but everyone else play FH.
eh, i still fire up motorsport from time to time. But not in a minute :doe: Other irons in the fire besides paling a game. I also never played online. THe most online shit id did was the challenges I got up to like 13th globally on the nascar one!

inb4 airboatnation jokes
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

I may get FM7 so that I can use the wheel. Id rather play that with a wheel than FH4 with a controller.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm I may get FM7 so that I can use the wheel. Id rather play that with a wheel than FH4 with a controller.
do it man, its a 40 dollar question at gamestop
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:47 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm I may get FM7 so that I can use the wheel. Id rather play that with a wheel than FH4 with a controller.
do it man, its a 40 dollar question at gamestop
Youre not wrong. Its even cheaper on ebay or amazon.