PC Masterrace

Gamers gonna game, game, game, game.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Purpc5z wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:18 pm

PC parts seem to have gone through the roof. 2600 was 180+ last I checked.
I bought my 2600 for 125 on sale. the 3600 is going fro about $180. :notbad:
$160 on Amazon right now.

Was $99 in store pickup at Microcenter before the Rona
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

So I've been gaming on my old 2012 iMac, running boot camp. I basically play one PC game: Overwatch. That's it.

Considered building a gaming PC though. For a really nice monitor + good gaming PC, I'm looking at $2,000 for the PC and $500-$1000 for the monitor.

You can get a 75" 4K HDR TV for $700 and the PS5 is rumored to be $500...

I don't know if the market is just small enough they can get away with it, but I don't understand the pricing of the PC gaming world at all.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:55 pm So I've been gaming on my old 2012 iMac, running boot camp. I basically play one PC game: Overwatch. That's it.

Considered building a gaming PC though. For a really nice monitor + good gaming PC, I'm looking at $2,000 for the PC and $500-$1000 for the monitor.

I don't know if the market is just small enough they can get away with it, but I don't understand the pricing of the PC gaming world at all.
The short answer is that you absolutely do not need to spend anywhere near that much on the PC, lower end parts are where the value lies. Displays are a separate animal. The ones for computers tend to have better refresh rates and color accuracy plus you sit much closer to them so there's no reason for them to be huge.

Like I'm still running stuff just fine on an ancient i5-6600 and a GTX 1060 and 23" 1080p monitor. The monitor is 16" from my face so why bother with a bigger one?
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm
MrH42 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:55 pm So I've been gaming on my old 2012 iMac, running boot camp. I basically play one PC game: Overwatch. That's it.

The short answer is that you absolutely do not need to spend anywhere near that much on the PC, lower end parts are where the value lies. Displays are a separate animal. The ones for computers tend to have better refresh rates and color accuracy plus you sit much closer to them so there's no reason for them to be huge.

Like I'm still running stuff just fine on an ancient i5-6600 and a GTX 1060 and 23" 1080p monitor. The monitor is 16" from my face so why bother with a bigger one?
I've been playing Overwatch on a 60 hz iMac, so if I'm going to jump in, I want to go at least 120 hz. But this is also my WFH setup, so I want big screen real estate. I was considering one of those 49" super ultra wide, but you apparently need a 2080 ti to even run 5120 x 1440 at 120+ hz. That's a $1200 video card needed.

Just seems crazy we'll be getting similar performance out of console systems for $500 total in the fall.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm not familiar with the console performance, but can PS5 really do that much? If it can, then that's a yuuuge leap in technology and will be coming to the desktop market soon too, making everything on the market now completely obsolete and worthless. :iono:

That's a lot of pixels.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:10 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm

I've been playing Overwatch on a 60 hz iMac, so if I'm going to jump in, I want to go at least 120 hz. But this is also my WFH setup, so I want big screen real estate. I was considering one of those 49" super ultra wide, but you apparently need a 2080 ti to even run 5120 x 1440 at 120+ hz. That's a $1200 video card needed.

Just seems crazy we'll be getting similar performance out of console systems for $500 total in the fall.

Newly released consoles are always a killer performance gain for the money, but give it 6-12 months and the PC world will usually out perform that when technology makes the leaps. I'm on a budget gaming rig that I built in 2012, and it's still running solid. I spent about $1,300 I think. The only thing I've upgraded is the video card when my last one fried, and I've added a larger side SSD specifically for games that I play. I have a 1tb disc that I put a bunch of other shit that I don't care about the speed with.
Also, with monitors, you can go nuts with it, but a lot of professional gamers stick with a 24" monitor with a high refresh rate. Going big is ok if it's what you're into, but if you do a lot of gaming it kind of messes with your attention because now you've got to observe all of that real estate to process what's going on. Whereas the 24" is the sweet spot for not too big and not too small.

I just dug in my email, And it's still good. It's kind of getting to where it's at about the bottom of the list for requirements for newer games, but I'm still running them pretty good. You don't need to break the bank to get a good solid gaming rig. I think my first one back around 2008 was about $800 and I ran that bitch into the ground for about 5 years before even considering replacing it.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I think the PS5 is going to do 4k, 120 hz with HDR.

I guess it's just a combination of tech progress and massive scale. I think the PS5 and new Xbox will all be using tech that's not even out for PC yet. Just crazy how fast it moves and how cheap they can push consoles out.

This has been effectively my home office setup now for 8 years.

It's a 27" iMac, with 24" monitors on both sides. I'd like to keep my home office still on MacOS, but then maybe run a gaming PC on the side, and just switch inputs? That's what I'm thinking. So I was considering replacing it all with a 49" ultrawide, but I want to also game on it. Trying to bridge that productivity and gaming world is where the cost really comes into play. Means having two computers (Mac & PC since Bootcamp is dying on MacOS), and monitors that are both high resolution but also great refresh rates.
Acid666

Also, most consoles lose money on sales, and they make that up with a high profit margin on accessories, games, and subscriptions.
Think about it, $500 for a console where as I just spent $400 on a new up to date video card on my PC. They buy in massive bulk so they do get a huge discount, but their profits aren't huge for the consoles themselves. Once you've got one, you're likely to buy the online subscription, multiple games, and accessories. That $60 controller is mainly plastic with a couple of quality parts like joysticks and shit... It takes a few years of sales to break even and to start getting out of the red, but ultimately it's proven to be profitable over the life of that console (Usually 5-8 years or so)
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Really want to see the new Nvidia cards before jumping on the PS5 this fall.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 pm Really want to see the new Nvidia cards before jumping on the PS5 this fall.
Why have you abandoned OT, :bruh: ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:29 pm Really want to see the new Nvidia cards before jumping on the PS5 this fall.
I was just reading it. Not much to add tbh. Strange times
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 pm

:(
I always enjoyed your input.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks. It's not a conscious decision, just posting about what I'm doing these days. I've been stuck at home since March 13th. Sim racing/PC/F1 has been my obsession since.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:47 am
wap wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:47 pm

Thanks. It's not a conscious decision, just posting about what I'm doing these days. I've been stuck at home since March 13th. Sim racing/PC/F1 has been my obsession since.
I get it.

But no reason you can't stop by and join in the yelling at each other in OT every once in a while...
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

wap wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:11 pm

I get it.

But no reason you can't stop by and join in the yelling at each other in OT every once in a while...
WHO'S YELLING?!
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm

I get it.

WHO'S YELLING?!
How is your friends son doing? The one with the neck injury. I think about him from time to time when I think things are bad.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I get it.

I'm going to think of something interesting and post it. Soon as it happens. :)
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:58 pm

WHO'S YELLING?!
How is your friends son doing? The one with the neck injury. I think about him from time to time when I think things are bad.
Thanks for asking. His spirits have been up as he's able to do quite a bit with technology that's available these days but sadly he is totally paralyzed waist down and has very limited movement with his hands. This fall he was supposed to go back to Duke (where the freak accident happened) and finish school. It really is a heartbreaker but this kid has strong will.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Thedude wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for asking. His spirits have been up as he's able to do quite a bit with technology that's available these days but sadly he is totally paralyzed waist down and has very limited movement with his hands. This fall he was supposed to go back to Duke (where the freak accident happened) and finish school. It really is a heartbreaker but this kid has strong will.
Strange what sticks with you but for some reason that story stuck with me. Probably the way it happened. I try to be easier on my son because of it. My first thought is to tell him "no" all the time.
wap

I get it.

WHO'S YELLING?!
:mindblown:
wap

I get it.

I'm going to think of something interesting and post it. Soon as it happens. :)
:fuckyeah:
:popcorn:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

I got tired of the stuttering in COD:MW/Warzone and Flight Sim 2020 that I went to price out a new rig, signed into the cart and hit paypal only to I guess remember I had one-click setup and it brought me to the "Heres your order page" Right about then is when all of the reviews I wasn't able to find popped up and said avoid the R7 3800XT at all costs....and then woke up the next morning and Newegg canceled my order, so I guess it was a mix of meant to be and my address not being correct.

Took the opportunity to switch it up back to Intel...I figure since I'm using a 3rd gen i5 still then it'd only make sense to go back with them.

i7-10700K
Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming
32GB DDR4-3600 ram
2tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 drive
Corsair 750 80+Gold modular PSU
NZXT H210 ITX case in matte black
All coolers/fans are going to be Noctua chromax.black fans, hoping for a silent build.

Due to GPU costs I'll be recycling my 980Ti into this build for the time being, I don't feel it'd be much of a bottleneck just yet but I want to wait and see what the RTX cards will drop down into.

Will post a pic once it's together.
Acid666

3rdgenfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:03 pm I got tired of the stuttering in COD:MW/Warzone and Flight Sim 2020 that I went to price out a new rig, signed into the cart and hit paypal only to I guess remember I had one-click setup and it brought me to the "Heres your order page" Right about then is when all of the reviews I wasn't able to find popped up and said avoid the R7 3800XT at all costs....and then woke up the next morning and Newegg canceled my order, so I guess it was a mix of meant to be and my address not being correct.

Took the opportunity to switch it up back to Intel...I figure since I'm using a 3rd gen i5 still then it'd only make sense to go back with them.

i7-10700K
Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming
32GB DDR4-3600 ram
All coolers/fans are going to be Noctua chromax.black fans, hoping for a silent build.

Due to GPU costs I'll be recycling my 980Ti into this build for the time being, I don't feel it'd be much of a bottleneck just yet but I want to wait and see what the RTX cards will drop down into.

My wife was having studdering issues on her machine, so we upgraded her video card to the GTX 1660 Ti. Best budget card I could find in the $300 range.
On my machine, I was having issues with Warzone as well, so I bought some new ram to bump that up. I also had a friend look at it and he realized a few things that were eating into my frame rate. 1) I was still running Windows7. 2) I need to be running in fullscreen mode, not fullscreen windowed mode.
In order for me to even get fullscreen mode, I had to upgrade to Windows10 because I needed DirectX12, and Windows7 only supported up to DirectX11. So that alone was hindering me. So just by going to Win10 and upping my ram, I was able to take more advantage of my i5 3.4ghz by letting Windows10 make it run more efficiently and it completely changed how Warzone plays. I was getting 10 second freezups, and now I only occasionally get them and they're only for 1s.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:16 pm
3rdgenfan wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:03 pm I got tired of the stuttering in COD:MW/Warzone and Flight Sim 2020 that I went to price out a new rig, signed into the cart and hit paypal only to I guess remember I had one-click setup and it brought me to the "Heres your order page" Right about then is when all of the reviews I wasn't able to find popped up and said avoid the R7 3800XT at all costs....and then woke up the next morning and Newegg canceled my order, so I guess it was a mix of meant to be and my address not being correct.

i7-10700K
Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming
32GB DDR4-3600 ram

My wife was having studdering issues on her machine, so we upgraded her video card to the GTX 1660 Ti. Best budget card I could find in the $300 range.
On my machine, I was having issues with Warzone as well, so I bought some new ram to bump that up. I also had a friend look at it and he realized a few things that were eating into my frame rate. 1) I was still running Windows7. 2) I need to be running in fullscreen mode, not fullscreen windowed mode.
In order for me to even get fullscreen mode, I had to upgrade to Windows10 because I needed DirectX12, and Windows7 only supported up to DirectX11. So that alone was hindering me. So just by going to Win10 and upping my ram, I was able to take more advantage of my i5 3.4ghz by letting Windows10 make it run more efficiently and it completely changed how Warzone plays. I was getting 10 second freezups, and now I only occasionally get them and they're only for 1s.
It pains me to see a AAA title game be that unoptimized. I upgraded to W10 a year or two ago, trying to find one of my W7 Pro keys so I can get the new rig installed with W10.

I had to make a batch file that someone posted the lines to on reddit that would launch the game, make a copy of the EXE files, and then it would go into the task manager and set the CPU priority to Normal otherwise it would be pegged at 100% the entire time, I can get a few rounds out of it that way now but it's still at 95-100% in the middle of a game. I can't have any program running in the background such as Discord, so if friends and I want to chat we either need to do it in game or I'll have to fire up Discord on the laptop.

FS would freeze for about 15-20 seconds when it would go to load the next chunk of terrain data.

My little i5-3550 has been overclocked to 4Ghz since day one and it's done the best it can but these two purchases have set me over the edge and made me say it's time to upgrade. :lol:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

3080 looks pretty nice.