DFD Couch Racer Chat: Forza and stuff

Gamers gonna game, game, game, game.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm You'll have more money to buy racecar shit too if you stop spending it on food.
:fax:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:49 am
I bought one during that deal. Now I have to figure out how to build a cockpit. Off the shelf things are stupid expensive. I want to make something out of wood like Troy, but that can somehow easily dismantle for storage.

Thoughts?
Just do a playseat. You can spare a few gold coins from your coinpurse.
I can't pay $300 for a folding chair. Just can't do it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:40 pm You'll have more money to buy racecar shit too if you stop spending it on food.
I have no interest in spending money on racecar shit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Just do a playseat. You can spare a few gold coins from your coinpurse.
I can't pay $300 for a folding chair. Just can't do it.
I feel you on that honestly.

do you know what 80/20 extruded aluminum shit is? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80/20_(framing_system)

its like big kid erector set. might be able to do what you want cleanly, but honestly it will be just as much as the f00king playseat.

edit: its not as bad as i thought.
~40 bucks for 4 feet. Might be cheaper if you go direct through 80/20

dont be cheap and use 1010. NOMENCLATURE NOTE: 1010= 1" x1", 1515 = 1.5" x 1.5' 1530 = 1.5" x 3", etc

i think you need the 1.5" min for the stiffness. might be able to go with 1515 lite to save on material cost/weight. use 1530 or 3030 where you need lots of stiffness.
Last edited by goIftdibrad on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

so :fatty: it is! :fuckyeah: :jesus:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Also note for detroit:

I was honestly disappointed in the stiffness of my playseat's pedal box. Sure it was prob designed for non-load cell brake pedals (not sure if mine is load cell but its pretty fucking accurate brake feel IMHO) but for a thing that 600 shipped new..... id expect better. I'm not salty about it as a used purchase, but if id have ponied up full clap I'd have been pissed.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am I can't pay $300 for a folding chair. Just can't do it.
I feel you on that honestly.

do you know what 80/20 extruded aluminum shit is? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80/20_(framing_system)

its like big kid erector set. might be able to do what you want cleanly, but honestly it will be just as much as the f00king playseat.

edit: its not as bad as i thought.
~40 bucks for 4 feet. Might be cheaper if you go direct through 80/20

dont be cheap and use 1010. NOMENCLATURE NOTE: 1010= 1" x1", 1515 = 1.5" x 1.5' 1530 = 1.5" x 3", etc

i think you need the 1.5" min for the stiffness. might be able to go with 1515 lite to save on material cost/weight. use 1530 or 3030 where you need lots of stiffness.
Yep, I've thought about this and found the plans...but I don't see how it's better than 2x4's.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:05 am
so :fatty: it is! :fuckyeah: :jesus:
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am Also note for detroit:

I was honestly disappointed in the stiffness of my playseat's pedal box. Sure it was prob designed for non-load cell brake pedals (not sure if mine is load cell but its pretty fucking accurate brake feel IMHO) but for a thing that 600 shipped new..... id expect better. I'm not salty about it as a used purchase, but if id have ponied up full clap I'd have been pissed.
Not surprised. And that's what REALLY concerns me about buying the Challenge. $300 for a folding chair is insane...and I can't see how it would be anywhere near rigid enough...especially living dat :fatty: lyfe.

I really don't understand the prices of these things. Even shitty Chinese cockpits are $250+ and talk about horrible structure.

The biggest challenge for me is space limitation. I was going to make a gameroom in one of our spare rooms, but I we use the xBox in the basement too much. Plus, surround sound and 70" TV would be way more fun for racing. But I only have a 3'x4' nook to store the cockpit in down there, so I need something that can fold up or easily disassemble.

I need to start playing around with some scrap wood and see what I can come up with.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am

Not surprised. And that's what REALLY concerns me about buying the Challenge. $300 for a folding chair is insane...and I can't see how it would be anywhere near rigid enough...especially living dat :fatty: lyfe.

I really don't understand the prices of these things. Even shitty Chinese cockpits are $250+ and talk about horrible structure.

The biggest challenge for me is space limitation. I was going to make a gameroom in one of our spare rooms, but I we use the xBox in the basement too much. Plus, surround sound and 70" TV would be way more fun for racing. But I only have a 3'x4' nook to store the cockpit in down there, so I need something that can fold up or easily disassemble.

I need to start playing around with some scrap wood and see what I can come up with.
the only disadvantage i see with wood is honestly that its heavy.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am

Yep, totally. I may try to work in casters so it's easier to move. I've got some ideas, I just need the time to try them out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am

Yep, totally. I may try to work in casters so it's easier to move. I've got some ideas, I just need the time to try them out.
that's always the thing with these DIY projects....how much is my time worth and / or wouldn't i rather be playing the game?
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

What is the cost to effectiveness of those $100 seats?

Could they possibly be safer/as safe as my 1999 miata seats? Also whats the chance they would fit in the car?

The fabric of my seats is done and I wouldnt be against something new. Recovering is fucking expensive.
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am
that's always the thing with these DIY projects....how much is my time worth and / or wouldn't i rather be playing the game?
I think you also need to look from the perspective of the accomplisment when completing one of these large tasks. You take your time, make it way more complex than it needs to be, tone it back down, and then get to work.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am What is the cost to effectiveness of those $100 seats?

Could they possibly be safer/as safe as my 1999 miata seats? Also whats the chance they would fit in the car?

The fabric of my seats is done and I wouldnt be against something new. Recovering is fucking expensive.
no they are def not as safe
prob dont fit

just recover your shit.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am

I think you also need to look from the perspective of the accomplisment when completing one of these large tasks. You take your time, make it way more complex than it needs to be, tone it back down, and then get to work.
:sass:
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:47 am What is the cost to effectiveness of those $100 seats?

no they are def not as safe
prob dont fit

just recover your shit.
Wasnt sure how much they would compare to 18 year old seats.

I guess ill keep shopping around for prices. Or look for something on the forums/ facespace
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:

3x4 footprint with how much height available?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Not surprised. And that's what REALLY concerns me about buying the Challenge. $300 for a folding chair is insane...and I can't see how it would be anywhere near rigid enough...especially living dat :fatty: lyfe.

3x4 footprint with how much height available?
6 feet.
ChrisoftheNorth

But even to your point, you need to start at $600+ to get anything decent. FUCK THAT.

I'd rather tinker around on a cold Sunday afternoon building something out of wood for $0. But I enjoy this kind of shit.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm 3x4 footprint with how much height available?
6 feet.
Easy, then...

My setup at its biggest points, ignoring the monitor since you're putting it in front of a TV, is 25" W x 66" L x 39" H. I could add a vertical support at either end (the pedal end would be less annoying most likely) so that it could be stored on end and be 25"x39" footprint and 66" high.

If I were to re-design it to have minimal dimensions (namely chopping off the back since I made the thing too long) it would be 25"W x 56"L x 37"H in "ready to be stored" form with the seat back folded forward. There'd even be space to put beefy casters on the end of the vertical storage support, so you'd wheel it into place and then plop it down NFG with no assembly/disassembly required.

You can do this whole thing for $25 in crap (plus whatever seat you like) and a few hours of dicking around.
troyguitar

Chop back off to minimum length, delete monitor, extend upper "frame rails" out front to match the lower ones, add vertical pieces at front to tie the frame rails together, add casters out front, done. Image
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:00 pm

But even to your point, you need to start at $600+ to get anything decent. FUCK THAT.

I'd rather tinker around on a cold Sunday afternoon building something out of wood for $0. But I enjoy this kind of shit.
I totally get it. You guys also have different seasons too, lots of time on your hands in the winter
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Troy coming through with the win!!! Solid advices.
troyguitar

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussio ... riday-2017

$299 for the CSL Elite kit is :fuckyeah: pricing.

They have a load cell kit for the Elite pedals too for $130 so you can have a full :stig: setup for $430. I'm tempted to buy it and sell my thrustmaster stuff so I can have a full fanatec setup (I already have their shifter). Hopefully my TX with 3 pedals is worth $200 or so.