Forced Savings

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:29 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

I don't know but I don't want to bail the poors out and the social programs are out of control. So forcing people to save is a good idea IMO.
how do you think stealing more peoples money and applying it to the .gov fixes the mistakes of previous .gov money grab???

.gov+.gov=MORE .gov. Its like burning the available cash candle at both ends for the average person. The candle will burn out and the money will still be gone.

Force savings that individuals can control, like the botched healthcare debacle. Let me opt out if I pass the "not totally fucked" financial metric. We'd all be light years ahead. But just like the shitty healthcare mandate, they need to steal from others and marginalize the results for everyone...
It is a larger debate, but what do we do with those that don't save. Most of this country has no retirement savings so we either march them into a pigfarm for food or support them. I am not sure what the right answer is here.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I think the whole problem, Max, is that the investment option isn't like an IRA or a 401k with a privately held account you can control, but instead a government-held and managed fund. It could be raided and used for other purposes just like the Social Security fund was and people's savings could just up and vanish. Of course the state would still be accountable for those funds, but seems to me they could artificially report lower returns, up the fees, and perform all kinds of fuckery to fill their own coffers.

I'm 100% on board with auto-enrolling people in retirement savings programs, but people need to have control of their own money. Auto-enroll people in a target date fund for their 65th birthday, and if they want to change it from that let them. But don't give corrupt politicians yet another slush fund of money they can get their hands on.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

They could entice people by making the retirement funds tax free.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:25 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 pm

And the .gov is better? :notsure:
:dat:

Making savings optional for all.
:wrong: :ayfkm: Yes the .gov is better than buying Jet Skis and Trans Ams, big screen televisions, above ground pools, meth and Little Caesars, which is what most stupid Muricans would be "depositing into Savings"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm

if only we didn't give it to every swinging dick that gets 'disabled', squander the trust fund, raise retirement age with reasonable extension of life expectancy, etc, etc.
The current SS age is like what 69? That's essentially life expectancy in the states. :disgust: 67 for full benefits. 62 for discounted.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:23 pm

:wrong: :ayfkm: Yes the .gov is better than buying Jet Skis and Trans Ams, big screen televisions, above ground pools, meth and Little Caesars, which is what most stupid Muricans would be "depositing into Savings"
People in this country generally do a horrible job of saving for retirement / end of life. This forum is an outlier when you consider the rest of the population's spending habits.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Little Caesars has a solid ROI. Dem calories per dollar are off the charts.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

not my fuckin problem breh

let the plebs eat the pizza of Ceasars.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:59 pm

People in this country generally do a horrible job of saving for retirement / end of life. This forum is an outlier when you consider the rest of the population's spending habits.
sadly you are :notwrong:

im more like :mahtroy: reaction when I have to engage the general populous. insta :rage:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:25 pm

It IS YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM BREH. The streets cannot be filled with penniless 65 year olds just because Eric the Great Libertarian of East Baton Rouge Parish demands absolute freedumbs for himself and others.
The current system is set up so if you work for 40 years and don't save shit you are guaranteed rent on your double wide in some shithole eating Banquet Fried Chicken with freezer burn. This is preferable to having to defend yourself against them with your 2700 AK parts.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 pm

It IS YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM BREH. The streets cannot be filled with penniless 65 year olds just because Eric the Great Libertarian of East Baton Rouge Parish demands absolute freedumbs for himself and others.
The current system is set up so if you work for 40 years and don't save shit you are guaranteed rent on your double wide in some shithole eating Banquet Fried Chicken with freezer burn. This is preferable to having to defend yourself against them with your 2700 AK parts.
Thank you, Dirk.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Yea but SSN is broken and will fail. I mean, I agree at this point we cant just not have some time of social welfare, but SSN aint going to work forever.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Yea but SSN is broken and will fail. I mean, I agree at this point we cant just not have some time of social welfare, but SSN aint going to work forever.
I absolutely agree with you, particularly as a guy who has been paying into SS for 32 years, that it needs to be a priority for politicians instead of all of the grandstanding bullshit they are wasting their time on.
Goddam what a useless bunch.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:52 pm

I absolutely agree with you, particularly as a guy who has been paying into SS for 32 years, that it needs to be a priority for politicians instead of all of the grandstanding bullshit they are wasting their time on.
reported for failing to use :notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Simply eliminating the cap on the SS deduction will go a LONG way toward making it solvent waaaay into the future. But with (roughly) half of congress in the back pocket of the "doner class" it ain't gonna happen.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Simply eliminating the cap on the SS deduction will go a LONG way toward making it solvent waaaay into the future. But with (roughly) half of congress in the back pocket of the "doner class" it ain't gonna happen.
You mean make all income subject to SS tax?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:dat: we still won't let them starve on the streets like they do in Russia or the likes, we will give them Food Stamps, subsidized housing and bunch of other shit that WE are now paying for not a FORCED savings account they should have been paying into for the last 30 years.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm
wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:39 pm
:yesth:
Maybe deduction was the wrong word. Payroll tax.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Yeah I can't agree with you there. It has to end somewhere when your monthly payout is also capped.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 pm
wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Yeah I can't agree with you there. It has to end somewhere when your monthly payout is also capped.
No reason it should be capped at just $132k :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm okay discussing an increase.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:ohslap:

So what your are saying is I should be able to opt out.

:trollface:

Come on down to the great south. I'll :nuke: you a banquet friend chicken and feed you a home brew.

And the only AK parts I have left are the mags. :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:59 pm

:ohslap:

So what your are saying is I should be able to opt out.

:trollface:

Come on down to the great south. I'll :nuke: you a banquet friend chicken and feed you a home brew.

And the only AK parts I have left are the mags. :yikes:
You guys have the fried chicken scene sewn up down there, dat's fo sho.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm
wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm

I'm okay discussing an increase.
Needs to be a yuuge one.