Forced Savings

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:56 pm

I'm okay discussing an increase.
Needs to be a yuuge one.
Nah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Needs to be a yuuge one.
:cringe:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:59 pm

It IS YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM BREH. The streets cannot be filled with penniless 65 year olds just because Eric the Great Libertarian of East Baton Rouge Parish demands absolute freedumbs for himself and others.
The current system is set up so if you work for 40 years and don't save shit you are guaranteed rent on your double wide in some shithole eating Banquet Fried Chicken with freezer burn. This is preferable to having to defend yourself against them with your 2700 AK parts.
Thank you, Dirk.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Why would you want to increase the ability for more wasteful spending of a social security tax? Of course its a good idea in theory. Its a well intentioned feel good social welfare program. Sadly, its a far cry from what it started out as. There are WAY too many people living on the SS teet that have never paid into the system.

got an ADHD kid? Heres $400/mo. :wtf:

Someone is going to have to be the bad guy and scale back the program to its original role. Not a new version on welfare state.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 am Why would you want to increase the ability for more wasteful spending of a social security tax? Of course its a good idea in theory. Its a well intentioned feel good social welfare program. Sadly, its a far cry from what it started out as. There are WAY too many people living on the SS teet that have never paid into the system.

Someone is going to have to be the bad guy and scale back the program to its original role. Not a new version on welfare state.
:howdareu:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:05 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 am Why would you want to increase the ability for more wasteful spending of a social security tax? Of course its a good idea in theory. Its a well intentioned feel good social welfare program. Sadly, its a far cry from what it started out as. There are WAY too many people living on the SS teet that have never paid into the system.

:aintcare: because in 12 years time youre gonna see some crazy shit when it becomes insolvent.

they even say so on their website...

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/TRSUM/index.html

:thisisfine:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Needs to be a yuuge one.
:nope:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 am
4zilch wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:05 am

:aintcare: because in 12 years time youre gonna see some crazy shit when it becomes insolvent.

Oh, you wanted a cereal discussion? :nevermind:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 am
dubshow wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 am

:lolol: :sad:

Honey nut Cheerios :doe:

Tied with frosted mini wheats
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 am

I'll throw in a box of apple cinnamon cheerios every now and then. :megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:19 am

I'll throw in a box of apple cinnamon cheerios every now and then. :megusta:
:megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Way back when I represented a guy in a criminal case, who, as far as I could tell, received SSI benefits because he was an asshole....."couldn't get along with others in the workplace" type deal.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Fun Fact: I used to eat FMW every day when I was still protecting the world from Salmonella at BigK....
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Except you're assuming money is finite, the .gov can print as much as it wants. :hubba:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Way back when I represented a guy in a criminal case, who, as far as I could tell, received SSI benefits because he was an asshole....."couldn't get along with others in the workplace" type deal.
So...can you collect SSI benefits if you've never paid into the system? I thought that was a requirement and a factor in how much benefit you end up receiving?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 am

1. So...can you collect SSI benefits if you've never paid into the system?
2.I thought that was a requirement and a factor in how much benefit you end up receiving?
1. Yes, lol

2. Unsure, maybe, but prob. not.

ITS A TAX, ITS NOT SAVINGS, ITS NOT YOUR MONEY.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So...can you collect SSI benefits if you've never paid into the system? I thought that was a requirement and a factor in how much benefit you end up receiving?
of course you can... what do you think "disability" is?

2. as far as amount, yes their are tiers. Someone making $40k/yr pays in under the SS tax max/limit. Someone making $128k (yearly) pays the maximum each year (6.2% from employee and 6.2%paid by employer). They will have a slightly higher "pay out" in retirement age. The current max pay out is like $3200.
Last edited by dubshow on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am
1. So...can you collect SSI benefits if you've never paid into the system?
2.I thought that was a requirement and a factor in how much benefit you end up receiving?
1. Yes, lol

No, I get it's all a scam. I'm with you on that....but I was under the impression that you had to pay into the system to get anything back out. Or if you're on "disability" or whatever, you don't have to pay into it?

It'll all going to come to :nuke: soon anyway. We'll see what happens then. :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:59 am
of course you can... what do you think "disability" is?
I honestly don't know.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am

1. Yes, lol

No, I get it's all a scam. I'm with you on that....but I was under the impression that you had to pay into the system to get anything back out. Or if you're on "disability" or whatever, you don't have to pay into it?

It'll all going to come to :nuke: soon anyway. We'll see what happens then. :popcorn:
you can not work a day in your life and get SS/ disability
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:01 am

Yes and no. You can definitely get disability, but if under some hypothetical scenario you were unemployed with $0 of earnings your entire life, I don't believe you're entitled to retirement benefits under SS. What I do know is that the more you pay in, the more you're entitled to. SS is based on the highest 35 years of earnings over a person's life, so if you didn't pay in for at least 35 years the math will average in zeros and the benefit payout will reduce.

The math is still fucked, though, obviously. Right now there are only ~3 people paying in for every person receiving benefits. When the fund was first started the ratio was something like 30:1. People just didn't live as long, mostly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Interesting.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:06 am

Yes and no. You can definitely get disability, but if under some hypothetical scenario you were unemployed with $0 of earnings your entire life, I don't believe you're entitled to retirement benefits under SS. What I do know is that the more you pay in, the more you're entitled to. SS is based on the highest 35 years of earnings over a person's life, so if you didn't pay in for at least 35 years the math will average in zeros and the benefit payout will reduce.

The math is still fucked, though, obviously. Right now there are only ~3 people paying in for every person receiving benefits. When the fund was first started the ratio was something like 30:1. People just didn't live as long, mostly.
So there were no people over 62 when the program started? And everyone worked ? :notsure:
3:1 ratio seems completely fine.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Right and if you didn't work 35 years you can collect based on your spouse's career You can take up to 50%, In my case 50% of what my wife made outstrips what I made for most of my life...... so I will likely opt for this if I can....

I didn't pay myself on the books for the 5 years I owned the restaurant. I was a stay at home Dad for 4 years ..... and I haven't Paid myself from the business for going on 3 years. Even when I do begin to pay myself, I am going to let the business pay for my vehicles and some of my living expenses (dat home office doe). So my Salary will be reduced in order to save on taxes.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Right and if you didn't work 35 years you can collect based on your spouse's career You can take up to 50%, In my case 50% of what my wife made outstrips what I made for most of my life...... so I will likely opt for this if I can....

I didn't pay myself on the books for the 5 years I owned the restaurant. I was a stay at home Dad for 4 years ..... and I haven't Paid myself from the business for going on 3 years. Even when I do begin to pay myself, I am going to let the business pay for my vehicles and some of my living expenses (dat home office doe). So my Salary will be reduced in order to save on taxes.
#taxgames #badtaxlaws
brain go brrrrrr