Global Warming - Discussion-Rant

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

You’re a towel.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:17 am
wap wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:42 pm

expected response was expected.

How can you take what this clown says as :fax: if he's a proven yuuuuge liar?
I've gone through the exercise of fact checking some of his older data, and it checks out, so I'm more inclined to take newer stuff on a little more faith.
:yeahok:

Just so we're clear, this is the :fullretard: we're talking about.

So which of his " :fax: " have you checked out? The one where he says he's a member of the House of Lords?
Despite the passing of the 1999 House Of Lords Act (which stripped hereditary peers of instant admission to the House Of Lords) Christopher Monckton has claimed that he is "a member of the Upper House of the United Kingdom legislature"[18]. More recently he has claimed that he is a member "without the right to sit or vote"[19]. The House Of Lords themselves state that "Christopher Monckton is not and has never been a Member of the House of Lords. There is no such thing as a 'non-voting' or 'honorary' member."[20] When Monckton persisted with the lie, the House of Lords took the unprecedented step of publishing an open letter to him, demanding that he cease and desist
Or the one where he claimed to be a Nobel Laureate?
Christopher Monckton claims on the website of the Science and Public Policy Institute that:

His contribution to the IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report in 2007 - the correction of a table inserted by IPCC bureaucrats that had overstated tenfold the observed contribution of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets to sea-level rise - earned him the status of Nobel Peace Laureate. His Nobel prize pin, made of gold recovered from a physics experiment, was presented to him by the Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of Rochester, New York, USA -SPPInstitute website[21]

When Christopher Monckton visited Australia in early 2010 he conceeded that it was "it was a joke, a joke" and "never meant to be taken seriously". The Sydney Morning Herald noted that despite this, he had made the same claim with a "straight face" on the Alan Jones show one day prior, and the claim remained on the SPPInstitute website[22] where it could still be found six months later.
Or the one where claimed to have one a £50,000 defamation lawsuit?
In 2007 a paragraph appeared on Monckton's Wikipedia page claiming he had won £50,000 as a result of an article George Monbiot allegedly wrote. As this was clearly untrue, George Monbiot wrote to Monckton asking why somebody claiming "who identifies himself as [Monckton]" was adding fictitious details to the page. A typically evasive Monckton refused to answer directly, and eventually wrote to Monbiot's editors demanding Monbiot cease emailing him pertinent questions.
Or the one where he claimed to have been advising PM Thatcher on climate policy?
Christopher Monckton has been quoted as saying "I gave her advice on science as well as other policy from 1982-1986, two years before the IPCC Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was founded", that he was "the only one who knew any science" and that "it was I who – on the prime minister's behalf – kept a weather eye on the official science advisers to the government, from the chief scientific adviser downward".

Bob Ward in the Guardian invesitgated these claims and found them to be false, noting "that this novel and important innovation by Viscount Monckton [bringing a computer to Downing Street and calculating that global warming was, in fact, happening] was not recognised by the current minister for science and universities, David Willetts, who was also a member of the prime minister's policy unit between 1984 and 1986. In 1986, "Two Brains" wrote a prize-winning essay on the role of the unit, but mysteriously omitted to mention Monckton's historic contribution."

Some more :impressive: stuff about this clown:
In early 2012 Christopher Monckton penned rebuttals to journalist Peter Hadfield's YouTube eviscerations of his work for Watts Up With That. Anthony Watts agreed to publish Hadfield's rebuttals on his website and a debate broke out. After a couple of posts, in which Hadfield made numerous references to the sources that Monckton was misquoting and demonstrated why he believed Monckton to be wrong, Monckton mysteriously pulled out, claiming he was "too busy" to take part in a debate of "inconsequentialities"- an intriguing claim as he doesn't have a real job and the "inconsequentialities" in question concerned climate sensitivity, the main thrust of Monckton's argument. Peter Hadfield responded with an "Open Letter To Christopher Monckton" urging him to return to the debate[39]. No response was received. Monckton has found the time to pen numerous piece for Watts Up With That and travel the world questioning President Obama's birth certificate (see "birtherism"), but still refuses to engage Hadfield
Lastly: http://ossfoundation.us/projects/enviro ... r-monckton
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

:micdrop:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:27 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:13 pm

so, nukes or bust. got it.
Maybe/probably - kill all subsidies - or at minimum show real costs and long term costs - let the market sort it out.

Not everyone is an engineer but the public is smarter than people give them credit for when accurate information is provided.
This is the crux of the problem. Who knows what's accurate or not? There's a (sometimes not so) hidden agenda behind all of the "data" released. The market can't accurately sort it out because it's all turned into a giant food fight.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Whelp, time to establish a Global Governance system
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:27 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:13 pm

so, nukes or bust. got it.
Maybe/probably - kill all subsidies - or at minimum show real costs and long term costs - let the market sort it out.

Not everyone is an engineer but the public is smarter than people give them credit for when accurate information is provided.

ok, for all the shitting y'all doing on what I'm saying...let's just go to the Google maps

let's zoom

oh, it's just a 2 unit combined cycle Natural gas fired power plant, just like the man in the video said. you build a solar farm, you build a NG power plant too.
:fax: brought to you by Google Earth.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:03 pm Whelp, time to establish a Global Governance system
:triggered:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:30 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:22 pm

ok, for all the shitting y'all doing on what I'm saying...let's just go to the Google maps

let's zoom

oh, it's just a 2 unit combined cycle Natural gas fired power plant, just like the man in the video said. you build a solar farm, you build a NG power plant too.
This had absolutely zero to do with that I'm saying.
I guess we are disconnected on what you are trying to say then
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:15 pm You’re a towel.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:30 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:22 pm

let's zoom

This had absolutely zero to do with that I'm saying.
Or that that Monckton jag doesn't bear listening to.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:06 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm

It's very simple.

1) real scientists all agree climate change is real
2) denying it is real is a political not a scientific position.
3) that political position is a Corporatists position
4) Ergo climate change deniers are all Corporatists and don't care about real libertarian values
5) real libertarian values have KNOWLEDGE at the top of the heap of a a functional free market economy
6) denial of knowledge is a Corporatist position
7) denial of climate change is a Corporatist position and is antithetical to any other political and economic philosophy
:bravo:
Plus, re 4), they also don't give a shit about the climate.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm

It's very simple.

4) Ergo climate change deniers are all Corporatists and don't care about real libertarian values
5) real libertarian values have KNOWLEDGE at the top of the heap of a a functional free market economy
7) denial of climate change is a Corporatist position and is antithetical to any other political and economic philosophy
we disagree.

and to be clear I'm not denying that the climate is changing, I'm QUESTIONING the anthropogenic component, if it exists, and how strong it is. it has been both very much warmer and very much colder in recorded history on this planet.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:05 pm

It's very simple.

we disagree.

and to be clear I'm not denying that the climate is changing, I'm QUESTIONING the anthropogenic component, if it exists, and how strong it is. it has been both very much warmer and very much colder in recorded history on this planet.
Climate is cyclical. :aintcare:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:05 pm

It's very simple.

we disagree.

Some days DFD feels like an abusive partner. You get yelled at when asking the :wrong: question.

I too would like to see how much modern industrialization impacts the climate vs the earth's orbital path or the cyclical strength of the sun.

Does carbon increase naturally when the sun is hotter? Are there core samples that can show us higher and lower carbon levels long before industrialization? There are plenty of real scientists that disagree with Al Gore and can actually plot out hypothetical propaganda used in Gores models and those pushing the Paris Accord vs actual increases since that movie came out to mindfuck us into Carbon Taxes two decades later.

Would love for people to stay calm and actually look into these things instead of losing their minds whenever the topic is analyzed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:38 pm I don't disagree we don't know the cause BUT...

If your house is on fire do you try and put it out or do a full investigation into what started the fire first?

No, you do everything in your power to save your house.

Besides money, what's the harm in trying? Only Corporatists don't want to act.
Don't fool yourself into thinking that Corporatists are also behind the alarmist reports pushing people to react emotionally. Different interests, same greed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The risks are pretty big too. People will be checking off viable sources of energy and productivity in the name of saving the planet and at a time where economic missteps can have a major impact on the wellness of many people on all levels.

A strategic alternative to polluting culprits should be presented and accurately assessed prior to the pitch fork and flaming torches coming out, at least for the sake of the wellness of modern society.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:59 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:48 pm The risks are pretty big too. People will be checking off viable sources of energy and productivity in the name of saving the planet and at a time where economic missteps can have a major impact on the wellness of many people on all levels.

A strategic alternative to polluting culprits should be presented and accurately assessed prior to the pitch fork and flaming torches coming out, at least for the sake of the wellness of modern society.
Nuclear /bread
Scary doe.

Wifeys dad is a nuke engineer who worked at different generating stations.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:48 pm The risks are pretty big too. People will be checking off viable sources of energy and productivity in the name of saving the planet and at a time where economic missteps can have a major impact on the wellness of many people on all levels.

Nuclear /bread
Extraction and disposal doe. How many plants will be required to run everything that moves on electricity?

Would love to see a viable plan for sure. If the numbers support it then count me in!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:38 pm I don't disagree we don't know the cause BUT...

If your house is on fire do you try and put it out or do a full investigation into what started the fire first?

No, you do everything in your power to save your house.

Besides money, what's the harm in trying? Only Corporatists don't want to act.
look, I'm a big nuclear power advocate, and there is no other viable way to power the planet without it and keeping a low carbon emmision.

that's my big gripe on all this alarmism. We ain't doing shit by making some solar panels and wind turbines
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:09 pm

Nuclear /bread
Extraction and disposal doe. How many plants will be required to run everything that moves on electricity?

Would love to see a viable plan for sure. If the numbers support it then count me in!
3rd and 4th gen plants use the waste from current plants as fuel.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:29 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:50 am

3rd and 4th gen plants use the waste from current plants as fuel.
to quote the Simpsons "and when the winter comes, all the gorillas will freeze to death!"
?

edit

:okboomer:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:38 am

?

edit

:okboomer:
:triggered: :sass: :pftch: :lolol:
I really didn't get the reference :doe:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Just so we're clear: It's pronounced nyoo-KYUH-ler
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:05 am
I really didn't get the reference :doe:
https://comb.io/lthy2e
:nice:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:16 am Just so we're clear: It's pronounced nyoo-KYUH-ler
Well, duh.