OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Same.
That's why it's :fullretard: for someone to blindly follow what a doctor tells you to do. I have a similar "anecdotal" story about SSRIs. Ask questions, be skeptical, use your own best judgment when pharma or politicians tell you what to do with your body IMO. There's nothing :caspian: about it.
I get so frustrated with medicine as in my experience, the medical professionals regular people have access to don't have/make time to discuss ailments with patients, don't seem to care all that much, and really offer very little info. It's extremely frustrating when something so critical and expensive is so hard to understand. I'm left feeling as though I know less than before I came after most doctor/dental/whatever visits I've had.

I would like to get a new primary care doctor and even that seems near impossible here.
I went to...6 primary care doctors before I found one I liked...and I used the exact reasons you mentioned. Most DGAF about me and I was just a payday or whatever. But there are good doctors out there that legit want to explain things to you to make you more knowledgeable about your own health.

I think the other problem is people in general are pretty :aintcare: about health. Not sick = fine. That's not the right approach at all, but doctors are used to either only seeing people when they're sick and simply treating that sickness, or getting :aintcare: glazed over looks when they try to explain things, so they stop trying.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm

It's :caspian: when you weigh opinions from crackpots (or yourself in most cases, we generally don't know enough about any of these things) equally against those of actual experts.
There's usually a grey area between black and white. Seeking out information is a sign of intelligence, not :caspian: . I say this with a great deal of respect for you, because I think that you're really smart and I often take your information as a learning opportunity. I think living in absolute right/wrong mindset has it's disadvantages. I personally like to think that I also don't know enough, but my opinion sways with more information, and I don't make decisions quickly (as you know, I have the same car I bought four years ago only because my other (MK6 TDI) was bought back for emissions violations. I'd still have the MK6 now and probably be very happy with it. I'm like that with my vaccination as well, I know that it reduces my likelihood of serious injury from Covid; however, there is no way that injecting that concoction into my arm is risk free, or has some health effect. So I wait, sani in car, medical masks everywhere, and social distancing like a champ. I hold my breath when walking through a crowd and mask on, it's cool with me. When I see how people fair fully vaccinated over a few years then I'll decide where my risks lie, and I may get vacced sooner if the spread rate becomes alarming to me locally, but until then I'm okay with laying low. Why is that such a problem for absolute thinkers? How did I become to blame for the spread of covid? I've never had it, and I don't think I'm unhealthy enough to get hospitalized if I do get it... So does that make me a dumb Trump supporter??? I don't even like the guy... The only thing he did that I like is keep the economy open, and go four years without starting a war (which in my opinion is miraculous with a mouth like his :wrong: )
See, it's all personal choice and I respect that. There's no reason to try to convince you one way or another.

But the key difference here is you're taking the virus seriously. That's the crux of the :rage: IMO. So many people not only :caspian: the vaccine, but also :caspian: the entire threat of the virus. The two combined ends up in :nuke: , and it's really stupid. If you want to :aintcare: the virus, then get the jab and :aintcare: away. If you don't want the jab, then take a lot of extra precautions to prevent contracting and transmitting the virus.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:32 pm

I get so frustrated with medicine as in my experience, the medical professionals regular people have access to don't have/make time to discuss ailments with patients, don't seem to care all that much, and really offer very little info. It's extremely frustrating when something so critical and expensive is so hard to understand. I'm left feeling as though I know less than before I came after most doctor/dental/whatever visits I've had.

I would like to get a new primary care doctor and even that seems near impossible here.
I went to...6 primary care doctors before I found one I liked...and I used the exact reasons you mentioned. Most DGAF about me and I was just a payday or whatever. But there are good doctors out there that legit want to explain things to you to make you more knowledgeable about your own health.

I think the other problem is people in general are pretty :aintcare: about health. Not sick = fine. That's not the right approach at all, but doctors are used to either only seeing people when they're sick and simply treating that sickness, or getting :aintcare: glazed over looks when they try to explain things, so they stop trying.
:notwrong:

It's challenging now as it seems like none are taking new patients, so I'm sort of stuck. I found a guy I liked, but he went remote only... seems pointless to me. Sure, if I'm sick, I could get on a call and describe symptoms and get medication, but to discuss stuff like back pain, tests like bloodwork, etc. it just seems better in person. The only other guy I went to who I was cool with was up in Cornelius by my wife's old place, which is 45 minutes away. We're likely in this area for a pretty long haul, so it would be nice to just find someone here I could visit every year or two.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:32 pm

:notwrong:

It's challenging now as it seems like none are taking new patients, so I'm sort of stuck. I found a guy I liked, but he went remote only... seems pointless to me. Sure, if I'm sick, I could get on a call and describe symptoms and get medication, but to discuss stuff like back pain, tests like bloodwork, etc. it just seems better in person. The only other guy I went to who I was cool with was up in Cornelius by my wife's old place, which is 45 minutes away. We're likely in this area for a pretty long haul, so it would be nice to just find someone here I could visit every year or two.
I need to find a new primary care doc where I live and haven't tired. Not looking forward to it.

I may just keep going to my old guy 4 hours south. I can just plan it around visiting friends or something.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:37 pm

There's usually a grey area between black and white. Seeking out information is a sign of intelligence, not :caspian: . I say this with a great deal of respect for you, because I think that you're really smart and I often take your information as a learning opportunity. I think living in absolute right/wrong mindset has it's disadvantages. I personally like to think that I also don't know enough, but my opinion sways with more information, and I don't make decisions quickly (as you know, I have the same car I bought four years ago only because my other (MK6 TDI) was bought back for emissions violations. I'd still have the MK6 now and probably be very happy with it. I'm like that with my vaccination as well, I know that it reduces my likelihood of serious injury from Covid; however, there is no way that injecting that concoction into my arm is risk free, or has some health effect. So I wait, sani in car, medical masks everywhere, and social distancing like a champ. I hold my breath when walking through a crowd and mask on, it's cool with me. When I see how people fair fully vaccinated over a few years then I'll decide where my risks lie, and I may get vacced sooner if the spread rate becomes alarming to me locally, but until then I'm okay with laying low. Why is that such a problem for absolute thinkers? How did I become to blame for the spread of covid? I've never had it, and I don't think I'm unhealthy enough to get hospitalized if I do get it... So does that make me a dumb Trump supporter??? I don't even like the guy... The only thing he did that I like is keep the economy open, and go four years without starting a war (which in my opinion is miraculous with a mouth like his :wrong: )
See, it's all personal choice and I respect that. There's no reason to try to convince you one way or another.

But the key difference here is you're taking the virus seriously. That's the crux of the :rage: IMO. So many people not only :caspian: the vaccine, but also :caspian: the entire threat of the virus. The two combined ends up in :nuke: , and it's really stupid. If you want to :aintcare: the virus, then get the jab and :aintcare: away. If you don't want the jab, then take a lot of extra precautions to prevent contracting and transmitting the virus.
:dat:

I always harken back to my FIL and in-law's in general with this, but they refuse the vaccine because it's a 'government hoax', they go to AA meetings with dozens of other people in a tiny building who mostly have similar 'views' and are all smoking indoors, go to a small, crowded church with a pastor promoting these 'views', and it's just a matter of time before they all get the VID and die.

Or my SIL who did die a few weeks ago... she worked as a manager at a store around people all day and couldn't afford medical attention when she did get COVID. In her case, clearly the vaccine risk (if any) was significantly lower than COVID risks.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer people get it, but at the same time, freedom is a thing. Companies also have the freedom to mandate it for employees, mandate masks for customers, etc.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm

It's :caspian: when you weigh opinions from crackpots (or yourself in most cases, we generally don't know enough about any of these things) equally against those of actual experts.
The :caspian: part is when you don't believe the information available to you. I'm 100% with you on :thankstrump: for not starting more wars. The guy seems to really have been against war and I do give him credit for that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Same.
That's why it's :fullretard: for someone to blindly follow what a doctor tells you to do. I have a similar "anecdotal" story about SSRIs. Ask questions, be skeptical, use your own best judgment when pharma or politicians tell you what to do with your body IMO. There's nothing :caspian: about it.

I can appreciate that sentiment, and agree with you about their lack of effort to effectively communicate I believe that doctors are trained to follow the same protocol for specific symptoms without trying to understand root cause and eliminate that first, pair that with them thinking that they are better then everyone else and you're in for a :wtf: experience.

In my wife's case, SSRIs were administered to help her tackle years of post-partum depression. Instead of helping, it caused us incredible shit storms in the household, and the follow up solution was always a different type of SSRI, or a higher dosage. It did so much more harm to her health, she ate a lot more and continued to put on pounds, all the while we danced around her moods to avoid a flair up over just about anything you could imagine. Finally, she took her health into her own hands and stopped taking everything. A month or two of detox and she started regaining herself. Still not great, but better. She booked appointments with various naturopaths, and after a few failed attempts with various treatments she finally met an Osteopath, who insisted that she go back to her doctor and ask for a blood test, specifically to determine vitamin D levels among a couple of other things. She did just that, and her Doctor laughed at the proposition, but agreed to write the requisition. Thankfully she did, Nicole's D levels were very low, and the doctor recommended she take 4000 i-units to catch up. Her Osteo told her to hit 8000, so that's what she did. We bought quality emulsified D3 and all target 1-2 drops daily, and bump it up a bit whenever we feel run down. My wife feels like her old self again, is in control of her stresses and ours, and it finally feels like we're a team again. We've been good for about a year.

Long story short, how am I supposed to unequivocally respect this profession? They are trained to do as they are told, and medicine appears to be a piece of a much larger pie. That thinking pattern isn't troubleshooting, it's memorization of what's being fed to them by an industry that's constantly being tweaked to make a lot of money.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My primary doc doesn't take insurance. :thisisfine: because I'm never going to hit by deductible seeing this guy for apointments and his cash rates are very fair. He also responds to text (I only use in emergency) and will schedule an appointment after 5. Health insurance is for visits to the hospital, which I strive to avoid.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:54 pm

The :caspian: part is when you don't believe the information available to you. I'm 100% with you on :thankstrump: for not starting more wars. The guy seems to really have been against war and I do give him credit for that.
Yes correct, I agree with you. Re vaccines: 9/10 hospitalizations right now are of people unvaccinated (at least that's how I understand it). Vaccines do reduce the severe cases by a good margin. It does fall short on efficacy by a good margin :doe: , so taking it to reduce spread can be painted both ways. I don't know if the risks are being documented and shared as they could be, and that's probably for the "greater good" mindset. Lose a few to save many.... And of course there's money to be made with this pandemic. I'm not going to go down any wormholes, talk about other countries' stats, etc., but I think it's information that's worth following. Some places in the world implemented different strategies, and seeing how those differences played out is an interesting read, if nothing else.

Trump is probably smarter then he lets on, to me he's an actor first and willing to take on the Vince McMahon persona, basic bitch rednecks love that shit. Smart or not, he's inherently a bad person at heart and it emanates from his entire existence. Fuck that guy, he's not good enough to run a country, especially the USA.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

It doesn't help that nobody can still tell us definitively if we're talking death from COVID, or death with COVID. Data seems to indicate that we've been reporting death with COVID this entire time. If that's the case, that actual mortality of this virus is totally different

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ng/620062/

Excess mortality and insurance actuary data will ultimately tell the tale.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:10 pm Anyone here into hot sauces? Found a brand called Small Axe Peppers that makes some great sauces.
I'm more of a flavor than a heat guy.

Cholula Chili Garlic, Goya Salsita, and Tabasco Chipotle are some of my staples. But I enjoy trying stuff.
Grab a bottle of Valentina's when you get a chance. I make breakfast sometimes just to put that shit on it.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Valentines is good. I’m a Cholula fan, Tapatio to a lesser extent. My favorite is a locally made pineapple habanero sauce. That shit is so good.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 am Valentines is good. I’m a Cholula fan, Tapatio to a lesser extent. My favorite is a locally made pineapple habanero sauce. That shit is so good.
Cholula>Tapatio 5/7 times.

Valentina is my go-to :doe: I really like the flavor.
troyguitar

I can't say that I've tried many hot :sawce: bottles, I normally just order stuff that's spicy already from peppers or whatever is in the dish. I did have a bottle of Cholula in NY though and it tasted good. In my cooking I use crushed red pepper most of the time to add spice.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:16 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:03 pm

I'm more of a flavor than a heat guy.

Cholula Chili Garlic, Goya Salsita, and Tabasco Chipotle are some of my staples. But I enjoy trying stuff.
Grab a bottle of Valentina's when you get a chance. I make breakfast sometimes just to put that shit on it.
Yep, I love it on an egg/veggie scramble! It is also a huge bottle for like $3 which is :nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 pm My primary doc doesn't take insurance. :thisisfine: because I'm never going to hit by deductible seeing this guy for apointments and his cash rates are very fair. He also responds to text (I only use in emergency) and will schedule an appointment after 5. Health insurance is for visits to the hospital, which I strive to avoid.
I feel like this is a better way to do it. My insurance does cover physicals/preventative but that is the only thing it's paying for since the deductible is high and it's 100% out of pocket up to that point. The company does give $900/year in HSA which I don't use much of, so :aintcare:

I feel like taking the insurance co. out of it makes them a bit more incentivized to actually give a shit.

My current process is: go to insurance, try to find an in-network primary care physician so I can get free preventative. I get to the list and there are literally zero people within 20 miles in any direction willing to take me. This is in a major and very affluent city :wtf:

:ohwell: , I guess I will continue just not going.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

It has never ceased to amaze me how I can still get a hint of a culture shock once i'm back in the US.

Also my rental I got is the " :waxer: " version of the Mitsubishi mirage, aka the outlander. But power folding mirrors and heated seats, apple car play. Big 4wd button that has 3 modes (fwd, auto awd -works in rain- and 4wd lock) :notbad: when you compare a basic tiguan, rogue and the like. But otherwise a pile. I may stop by the rental office too next week and see if I can switch to an elantra or similar (as long as its better than the mitsu). But I don't have a daily commute rn so :aintcare:

Onto the culture shock, I drove through a town center and it was pretty much quiet. Since stop signs are rare in Greece and Turkey, I unintentionally blew a stop sign, but thank god no one was around. I remembered just a few seconds after. Then I went to Arlington (walking distance into DC) to go for a powerwalk (i just can't do it in my hood lol), I was crossing the street as I was doing my run, waiting for a work van to pass me and lets me cross. He was confused that I waited. In Turkey, cars always get the right of way, and they literally expect you to stop or sometimes even expects to pick up the pace. When I first rented the vw polo in april 2020 in Turkey, I let a :wap: to cross the crosswalk (no lights) and got honked for that.

Also Im used to wear my mask outside because istanbul is a crowded city, it felt weird walking maskless in Arlington, cause social distancing is just so damn easy here. Always wear it when im in stores. But still I felt some illusion of freedom. If I walk in ny, crowded parts of dc and the like. Mask up it is.

Anyway, I have some errands to settle in. Sign up for a gym next week. Do some work tings. Sell my old mk7 gti parts (those want my cold air bro intake, lmk, I give bes prdice -in my :amir: voice- for you folks)

Also still suffering with jetlag. But that always happens, although this is the worst one I had.

Have a good day fellas
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 am I can't say that I've tried many hot :sawce: bottles, I normally just order stuff that's spicy already from peppers or whatever is in the dish. I did have a bottle of Cholula in NY though and it tasted good. In my cooking I use crushed red pepper most of the time to add spice.
Smoked paprika is another fun spice to add heat. Unique flavor from crushed red pepper (which I'm a huge fan of as well).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We use a lot of cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes as well. I do love sauce regardless :doe: as I love to eat bowls and such and sauce really adds to the experience, IMO. Dry bowls can :gtfo: even if the taste is great.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:07 pm My primary doc doesn't take insurance. :thisisfine: because I'm never going to hit by deductible seeing this guy for apointments and his cash rates are very fair. He also responds to text (I only use in emergency) and will schedule an appointment after 5. Health insurance is for visits to the hospital, which I strive to avoid.
I feel like this is a better way to do it. My insurance does cover physicals/preventative but that is the only thing it's paying for since the deductible is high and it's 100% out of pocket up to that point. The company does give $900/year in HSA which I don't use much of, so :aintcare:

I feel like taking the insurance co. out of it makes them a bit more incentivized to actually give a shit.

My current process is: go to insurance, try to find an in-network primary care physician so I can get free preventative. I get to the list and there are literally zero people within 20 miles in any direction willing to take me. This is in a major and very affluent city :wtf:

About to sound like an old man here, but keep an eye on your HSA. Many don't know this, but you can invest that money so it grows, and then you can spend it tax free on medical stuff. Since medical costs are a large portion of retirement spending, building up a robust HSA starting when you're young can be a great retirement tool. Then when you actually need it, you're not tapping into your normal income or spending money to pay medical expenses.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 pm We use a lot of cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes as well. I do love sauce regardless :doe: as I love to eat bowls and such and sauce really adds to the experience, IMO. Dry bowls can :gtfo: even if the taste is great.
Dry bowls :gag:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:07 pm

About to sound like an old man here, but keep an eye on your HSA. Many don't know this, but you can invest that money so it grows, and then you can spend it tax free on medical stuff. Since medical costs are a large portion of retirement spending, building up a robust HSA starting when you're young can be a great retirement tool. Then when you actually need it, you're not tapping into your normal income or spending money to pay medical expenses.

If you plan to work forever like most people, you might as well max the HSA and treat it like another retirement account that's not to be touched short of an emergency. I didn't know about that until recently so ours has not been funded much.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:43 pm

If you plan to work forever like most people, you might as well max the HSA and treat it like another retirement account that's not to be touched short of an emergency. I didn't know about that until recently so ours has not been funded much.
When I started at FCA a few years ago, a benefits onboarding person clued me into the benefits of the HSA. After doing more research into it, I've been maxing out the HSA for a few years now. Company contribution/match makes that pretty easy and since it's pre-tax and you can spend money tax-free, it's a win/win. Not taking advantage of an HSA when you have one available is a big missed opportunity IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:word: thanks y'all. I'm familiar with this concept but I've never really looked into it. Kind of cool to have an additional tax sheltered retirement fund, and we are not that great at saving money once it's already hit the checking account TBH. I am putting in the max allowed 401K contribution and :tits: is close to it, but that probably still isn't enough :disappoint:

I haven't even logged into my HSA in years... no clue how much is in there. We did wipe out a good bit on :tits: arm breaks last year.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:56 pm :word: thanks y'all. I'm familiar with this concept but I've never really looked into it. Kind of cool to have an additional tax sheltered retirement fund, and we are not that great at saving money once it's already hit the checking account TBH. I am putting in the max allowed 401K contribution and :tits: is close to it, but that probably still isn't enough :disappoint:

I haven't even logged into my HSA in years... no clue how much is in there. We did wipe out a good bit on :tits: arm breaks last year.
Forced savings by contributing to a 401k and HSA is smart, especially if you don't want to take a lot of effort saving take home. We don't save a ton of take home either, but 401k and HSA is maxed, so at least savings is still happening.