OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:I actually think zoned HVAC in a small house makes more sense because it should be easier to retrofit, and it really maximizes efficiency. I'd love to figure it out on our 1,500 sq ft house, personally.
The main cost is not in adding zones, that part is cheap, a few hundred bucks per zone. The cost is in changing to a multi-stage compressor and multi-speed fan. Otherwise the only way to use zones is to effectively dump some conditioned air to outside in order to control distribution.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:45 pm
Detroit wrote:I actually think zoned HVAC in a small house makes more sense because it should be easier to retrofit, and it really maximizes efficiency. I'd love to figure it out on our 1,500 sq ft house, personally.
The main cost is not in adding zones, that part is cheap, a few hundred bucks per zone. The cost is in changing to a multi-stage compressor and multi-speed fan. Otherwise the only way to use zones is to effectively dump some conditioned air to outside in order to control distribution.
Depending on cost/efficiency, would that be so bad?

I'm going to run a duct for the water heater to vent outside in the winter when I don't want the lower level cooled.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:45 pm The main cost is not in adding zones, that part is cheap, a few hundred bucks per zone. The cost is in changing to a multi-stage compressor and multi-speed fan. Otherwise the only way to use zones is to effectively dump some conditioned air to outside in order to control distribution.
Depending on cost/efficiency, would that be so bad?

I'm going to run a duct for the water heater to vent outside in the winter when I don't want the lower level cooled.
For your location/use it might be fine, I can't imagine it would be worthwhile down here :doe:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:16 pm
max225 wrote:
So you'll have multi zone AC in a sub 1k sq foot house ? Image
Yes, Max, I'm a fucking dumbass loser who has trouble sleeping in heat yet married a woman who can't work in cold and we're so stupid we can't even afford a mansion. Guess we should suck it up and be uncomfortable to make you happy?
You were uncomfortable in NY and now bitching about florida. I think the issue is quite clear. And getting multi zone temps in a tiny house is bizarre to me yep.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:34 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Because it costs a shit ton of money ? And once you open the door to a 350sq foot room you basically let all the heat/cool out.
It doesn't work that way. Even open doorways don't let as much heat transfer as you'd think. We ran into that issue at our last house. We :scrooge: on the mini splits and didn't put one in one room thinking we'd leave the door open all the time and the other room units would compensate. Wrong, that room was always hotter or colder than the others.
We must perceive temperatures differently. My body heats up my office from 65-75F during the morning's and it's :disgust: but all I need to do is pop the door open for 10 min and it goes back to 70. Yes I'd love every room to be a different temp also and have variable AC crap or whatever but it seems like it's something meant for the rich and the famous. And not those with mortgages.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Fortunately my office naturally gets warmer (small room with open curtains and me + computer/network gear and stuff running). I prefer it to be warm when I'm just sitting all day. If I get too hot, I just use a box fan like a poor to avoid cooling down the whole house for just my 8'x8' office. My power bill is always sub $80 12 months per year. I can see where zones would be :neat: :doe: , definitely frustrates me to turn on the heat/AC during the day just for me sitting in my tiny room.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 am I don't have enough gas to make it to work because every station within my range is sold out

Time for $10/gal
Lyft/Uber? I haven't been able to find gas period. :ohwell:

Looks like we will be cancelling our trip to Raleigh to visit my friend this weekend.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:27 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 am I don't have enough gas to make it to work because every station within my range is sold out

Time for $10/gal

Looks like we will be cancelling our trip to Raleigh to visit my friend this weekend.
Are people selling gas on craigslist yet?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Time for $10/gal

I had to borrow my friends e250. I got to work about five and a half hours late, and then also had to tell my boss that I accepted a new job offer
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 pm

I had to borrow my friends e250. I got to work about five and a half hours late, and then also had to tell my boss that I accepted a new job offer
Ugh man, rough freakin' day... at least it's all up hill from here I guess?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:38 pm

I'm sure... bunch of shit bags filled up milk cartons and stuff the past two days while "shit was hitting the fan" and I'm convinced that's the only reason everywhere ran out. If people just left well enough alone, those who needed gas would still have plenty to buy. I didn't fill up our cars because a. fuck waiting in line to pay 1.5X prices and b. leave it for those who need it like Cale. I don't have to go to work, my wife does but it's six miles from here.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:48 pm

I mean. I would LOVE to be able to use my own fucking car 😂

My boss was actually very cool about it, and said he was expecting me to find a different job since the beginning. He told me I can work two weeks or just finish the current job etc.

Where's Desertbreh? My brother just took a job at Edwards AF base in CA and I have no idea if that area is a shit hole or not.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:16 pm Yes, Max, I'm a fucking dumbass loser who has trouble sleeping in heat yet married a woman who can't work in cold and we're so stupid we can't even afford a mansion. Guess we should suck it up and be uncomfortable to make you happy?
You were uncomfortable in NY and now bitching about florida. I think the issue is quite clear. And getting multi zone temps in a tiny house is bizarre to me yep.
We had a 3 zone programmable heating system in 1100 sq ft in NY, plus effectively a 4th zone using a space heater.

In KY we had 2 or 3 programmable heat/ac zones set up too in 1700 sq ft.

We're sensitive delicate flowers.

This is 21st century America and we're not poor. We can't afford kids or pets or vacations or new cars or a giant house like you, but we can damn well spend an extra $100 a month on being comfortable in our own fucking home. We have enough beans for that.

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:22 pm

My boss was actually very cool about it, and said he was expecting me to find a different job since the beginning. He told me I can work two weeks or just finish the current job etc.

Where's Desertbreh? My brother just took a job at Edwards AF base in CA and I have no idea if that area is a shit hole or not.
Yea that area is no bueno...
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:23 pm
max225 wrote:
We had a 3 zone programmable heating system in 1100 sq ft in NY, plus effectively a 4th zone using a space heater.

This is 21st century America and we're not poor. We can't afford kids or pets or vacations or new cars or a giant house like you, but we can damn well spend an extra $100 a month on being comfortable in our own fucking home. We have enough beans for that.
Heat is pretty easy with space heaters :doe: my dysons make things quite simple. And there are great options for $50-150 that are quite nice.
Cooling individual rooms seems far more complicated.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:51 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:38 pm

I'm sure... bunch of shit bags filled up milk cartons and stuff the past two days while "shit was hitting the fan" and I'm convinced that's the only reason everywhere ran out. If people just left well enough alone, those who needed gas would still have plenty to buy. I didn't fill up our cars because a. fuck waiting in line to pay 1.5X prices and b. leave it for those who need it like Cale. I don't have to go to work, my wife does but it's six miles from here.
Damn... the last 18 months are just nuts. What’s going to be the next fucking shortage
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:23 pm We had a 3 zone programmable heating system in 1100 sq ft in NY, plus effectively a 4th zone using a space heater.

Heat is pretty easy with space heaters :doe: my dysons make things quite simple. And there are great options for $50-150 that are quite nice.
It doesn't have to be, but to do it right certainly can be more complicated.

It might not have been clear, but we're not doing anything short term until we decide whether we're down with staying in this house long term. At that point, it becomes worthwhile to invest in a more efficient AC system even if it's single zone - and (only) then it becomes worthwhile to make it multi-zone. The additional cost "while you're in there" is pretty much negligible.

Without real world numbers, it's around a 10 year break even point. Adding solar into the equation complicates it even further :doe: because in a way there's more benefit to solar if you use more electricity... So :iono: what is the most cost effective long term combo, I need to do the :math: on all of it.

I do know, though, that going with all of the :fancy: AC and solar stuff is the most comfortable and efficient long term solution as far as energy use goes - so we might :doit: anyway even if it costs slightly more than the cheapest option. Good ole libtard treehugger logic.
troyguitar

Also, I had to fight the rusty screws and they dropped a pile of :salt: on the ground as they came out but we are officially DONE with the shithole of NY. Goodbye Empire, hello Republic (and no more front plate). :fuckyeah:

max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:44 pm
max225 wrote:
It doesn't have to be, but to do it right certainly can be more complicated.

It might not have been clear, but we're not doing anything short term until we decide whether we're down with staying in this house long term. At that point, it becomes worthwhile to invest in a more efficient AC system even if it's single zone - and (only) then it becomes worthwhile to make it multi-zone. The additional cost "while you're in there" is pretty much negligible.

Without real world numbers, it's around a 10 year break even point. Adding solar into the equation complicates it even further :doe: because in a way there's more benefit to solar if you use more electricity... So :iono: what is the most cost effective long term combo, I need to do the :math: on all of it.

I do know, though, that going with all of the :fancy: AC and solar stuff is the most comfortable and efficient long term solution as far as energy use goes - so we might :doit: anyway even if it costs slightly more than the cheapest option. Good ole libtard treehugger logic.
I did major :math: with Solar out here..
What are your actual "all in" electricity costs per KWH? Even at 30 cents per kWh in off peak and 50 cents peak it is only viable for us if we got an electric car to offset some of the gasoline expenses also. We really gotta use about 20-30kwh per day to make things viable.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:44 pm It doesn't have to be, but to do it right certainly can be more complicated.

I did major :math: with Solar out here..
What are your actual "all in" electricity costs per KWH? Even at 30 cents per kWh in off peak and 50 cents peak it is only viable for us if we got an electric car to offset some of the gasoline expenses also. We really gotta use about 20-30kwh per day to make things viable.
Yeah that's one of the many things I don't know yet, we have only had one partial month electric bill so far which makes it look like our per kWh costs are high but it doesn't reflect reality. The constantly changing local/state/federal incentives for solar stuff also make it a complicated problem. It's likely that our cheapest option will be to do nothing :doe: because the house is small.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:31 pm

Yea that area is no bueno...
$80-90k/yr should be enough to live though?

Not a great area but I hope he can stick it out a bit in the Chair force for the gubint bennies
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Watch the movie "The Right Stuff." Max seems to fascinated by the high desert............and it's interesting enough but living there is a NO unless your job is to fly Mach 2 every day.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Watch the movie "The Right Stuff." Max seems to fascinated by the high desert............and it's interesting enough but living there is a NO unless your job is to fly Mach 2 every day.
He's being brought on as an engineer for some bomber program. It's his first internship/job offer ever so he took it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:41 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:37 pm

He's being brought on as an engineer for some bomber program. It's his first internship/job offer ever so he took it.
He's single?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:43 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:41 pm

He's single?
Yes. He's a recent ERAU Aerospace Engineering grad.