OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Multi-Stage Compressors are spendy items. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of places in Northern Michigan to have something like that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Can someone explain to me how a house sub 2k sq feet requires any sort of “zones”?That seems like a huge waste of money to me
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 am Just to add to the absolute :fullretard: the housing market is right now, the in-laws got an offer of $425k on their house before even putting it on the market. This house doesn't even have central air.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 1762-53961
It was the shopping cart full of beer cans that did it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:23 pm Can someone explain to me how a house sub 2k sq feet requires any sort of “zones”?That seems like a huge waste of money to me
+1. These are same kinds of complaints about driving with halogen headlights. Instant seppuku.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:55 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 am

The area has exploded. Had they maintained and updated the property over the last 30 years, they could have easily fetched $600k+ right now. However, this house is a dump, and the last comparable property was in the same range. That property actually had 8 offers on it, but 7 of them were pulled when everyone realized that the house was incorrectly marked as having central air.

Their saving grace is that the house got roped into a very desirable school district. Otherwise, it is just another trash house on the side of a very busy road.
So, it's probably $10k to add minisplit AC/heatpumps to that house and it's more efficient and works just as well as central air. Incredible how uneducated people are STILL in this housing market. People will offer $25k+ over ask but pass on a house that requires a $10k upgrade. :impressive: :fullretard:

Even in this "seller's market" it's incredible how picky buyers can be. It wasn't easy selling our house last fall, yet everyone was :triggered: by the ZOMG SELLER'S MARKET :yeahok: Bitches were whining that the stairs to the basement hadn't been painted. FFS
:really: :ayfkm:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:30 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:23 pm Can someone explain to me how a house sub 2k sq feet requires any sort of “zones”?That seems like a huge waste of money to me
+1. These are same kinds of complaints about driving with halogen headlights. Instant seppuku.
You have a 4-6k house you need zones. Because it actually makes a difference by floor or area etc. 2k sq feet or less you’re breathing each other’s farts anyways. Zones don’t make sense. Just like in a c5 corvette. What’s that “zone” really going to do when you can punch the person next to you in the face
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

wap wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:29 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 am Just to add to the absolute :fullretard: the housing market is right now, the in-laws got an offer of $425k on their house before even putting it on the market. This house doesn't even have central air.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 1762-53961
We filled four 30 yard dumpsters clearing shit off that property.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:39 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:29 pm

We filled four 30 yard dumpsters clearing shit off that property.
:amaze:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:33 pm

You have a 4-6k house you need zones. Because it actually makes a difference by floor or area etc. 2k sq feet or less you’re breathing each other’s farts anyways. Zones don’t make sense. Just like in a c5 corvette. What’s that “zone” really going to do when you can punch the person next to you in the face
To be fair though some houses WITHOUT central air will get massively effed up by adding ducting, so the result is mini split, which means dem zones.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

My house is 1800 sqft and is a raised ranch. It would benefit from the floors being split into zones because the finished basement area is always 5+ degrees cooler than the upstairs where the thermostat resides.

The fix right now is to just watch TV with a blanket or say RIP to my electric bill and turn on a baseboard heater.
Last edited by Huckleberry on Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Zoning is the ultimate efficiency, only cooling the rooms you’re in. Even in a small house depending on the layout it can make a big difference.

In the case of Troy’s house being mostly concrete block, there’s likely some rooms that might be underserved. Why cool the entire house down if it’s only one room that needs the extra help?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm
My house is 1800 sqft and is a raised ranch. It would benefit from the floors being split into zones because the finished basement area is always 5+ degrees cooler than the upstairs where the thermostat resides.
This is the issue with my house too. It was originally zoned top and bottom, but it no longer works and will likely take more for me to figure out than just leaving it one zone.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm
This is the issue with my house too. It was originally zoned top and bottom, but it no longer works and will likely take more for me to figure out than just leaving it one zone.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:12 pm Multi-Stage Compressors are spendy items. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of places in Northern Michigan to have something like that.
No idea, I haven’t tried to look yet. We’ll see how bad the energy bills are when the AC is running. Even then, we only “need” AC for a few months at most, so :aintcare:

I will be replacing the water heater with a hybrid setup that uses a heat pump to heat the water. The result is cooling in the room, so the lower level should be pretty good.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Do the rooms in your house not have doors?

I can't sleep if it's over 70F, that presently means cooling the entire house to sub-70F every night and waking up to a super cold house every morning. With programmable thermostats and multiple zones the bedroom alone can be cooled in the evening and automatically be warmed back up by the time we get up in the morning, all while leaving the rest of the house at whatever temps are desired.

Similarly the wife can set her office to sauna temps during the day while the rest of the house can be air conditioned.

Additionally the garage can be air conditioned when work is to be done there and left in sauna mode the rest of the time.

Why the fuck would you not want different spaces to be independently adjustable?
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:57 pm Zoning is the ultimate efficiency, only cooling the rooms you’re in. Even in a small house depending on the layout it can make a big difference.

In the case of Troy’s house being mostly concrete block, there’s likely some rooms that might be underserved. Why cool the entire house down if it’s only one room that needs the extra help?
Yeah we also have multiple rooms with entirely different insulation/sunlight/ducting setups such that setting the house to one temperature doesn't keep everything even close to the same. The front "office" is the original front porch of the house that's been enclosed, with 3 giant South-facing windows and a small AC vent. The rear "office" was the original breezeway between the house and the (originally detached) garage that's also been enclosed with no insulation to speak of, it's probably 5 degrees warmer than the thermostat reads generally. Then the garage is hot AF after about 10AM because it's got no insulation or roof vents let alone AC...

This is 2021. We have the technology to control our climates. That's the only thing that separates us from the apes. Let's use it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Air conditioned garage... :amazing:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:12 pm Multi-Stage Compressors are spendy items. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of places in Northern Michigan to have something like that.
No idea, I haven’t tried to look yet. We’ll see how bad the energy bills are when the AC is running. Even then, we only “need” AC for a few months at most, so :aintcare:

I will be replacing the water heater with a hybrid setup that uses a heat pump to heat the water. The result is cooling in the room, so the lower level should be pretty good.
Air Conditioning was optional in MX. A lot of people don't do it because cooling ocean breeze. But there are days in July and August when it's 90+ and no A/C is never an option for me. That said we just went with a 5 ton Lennox single stage (Same kind of poverty air compressor I've been using for 50 years) instead of two stage, and at the top end variable stage compressors. Seemed too complicated for the 2 months ish use we would get out of it. One of the big allegations about multi stage compressors is that by staying on longer but at lower power use, they keep your house drier. I just couldn't make the leap. When I'm hot, I turn on the A/C.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:Air conditioned garage... :amazing:
As of right now it looks like there will never be a car in there, might as well make it a semi-conditioned work/storage space. Just trying to hang dry laundry in a room with 99% humidity is... challenging.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm

I can't sleep if it's over 70F, that presently means cooling the entire house to sub-70F every night and waking up to a super cold house every morning. With programmable thermostats and multiple zones the bedroom alone can be cooled in the evening and automatically be warmed back up by the time we get up in the morning, all while leaving the rest of the house at whatever temps are desired.

Similarly the wife can set her office to sauna temps during the day while the rest of the house can be air conditioned.

Additionally the garage can be air conditioned when work is to be done there and left in sauna mode the rest of the time.

Why the fuck would you not want different spaces to be independently adjustable?
Because it costs a shit ton of money ? And once you open the door to a 350sq foot room you basically let all the heat/cool out.
troyguitar

When you're not a millionaire taking trips all over hell every week, it matters more to make home more comfortable assuming you're middle class enough to do so. I don't even understand how y'all have the free time to be on vacation constantly, but that's another conversation entirely.

Our bedroom is also only 100 square feet because, again, we're not millionaires...
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:35 pm When you're not a millionaire taking trips all over hell every week, it matters more to make home more comfortable assuming you're middle class enough to do so. I don't even understand how y'all have the free time to be on vacation constantly, but that's another conversation entirely.

Our bedroom is also only 100 square feet because, again, we're not millionaires...
So you'll have multi zone AC in a sub 1k sq foot house ? :lol:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:35 pm When you're not a millionaire taking trips all over hell every week, it matters more to make home more comfortable assuming you're middle class enough to do so. I don't even understand how y'all have the free time to be on vacation constantly, but that's another conversation entirely.

So you'll have multi zone AC in a sub 1k sq foot house ? Image
Yes, Max, I'm a fucking dumbass loser who has trouble sleeping in heat yet married a woman who can't work in cold and we're so stupid we can't even afford a mansion. Guess we should suck it up and be uncomfortable to make you happy?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:29 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Because it costs a shit ton of money ? And once you open the door to a 350sq foot room you basically let all the heat/cool out.
It doesn't work that way. Even open doorways don't let as much heat transfer as you'd think. We ran into that issue at our last house. We :scrooge: on the mini splits and didn't put one in one room thinking we'd leave the door open all the time and the other room units would compensate. Wrong, that room was always hotter or colder than the others.
ChrisoftheNorth

I actually think zoned HVAC in a small house makes more sense because it should be easier to retrofit, and it really maximizes efficiency. I'd love to figure it out on our 1,500 sq ft house, personally.