Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:17 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 am
:impressive:
Something about how light fish is, or maybe it has to do with it being uncooked and that makes it easier to digest (?) :iono: but my body just absorbs that shit so fast. I legitimately didn't feel like I had eaten anything at all after all the fish and rice was gone.

Next time we do a homemade sushi night I'll make sure to have something more healthy on hand to add to the meal so I don't order a pizza again :lol: maybe do some surf and turf and cook up a steak :drool:
I find I really don't get full unless I have a dece amount of carbs, meat doesn't fill me up at all. I think everyone's body digests stuff differently.

I would probably do some edamame with sushi night, it's healthy and good, we buy the steam bags you can just throw in the microwave sometimes and they're :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:02 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:58 am

Meanwhile, in Charlotte, the high is 70F today. I just went for a very pleasant AM bike ride, started off around 52. It's unseasonably warm and I'm loving it.

The leaves are still coming down hard here, I've been clearing 1-2X/week and the yard is covered. I have to say, I love my 40V electric blower and mower. I now can mulch up/bag a lot of leaves with the mower, and not dicking with maintenance/smelling like gas, etc. is great. They're also quiet enough to listen to podcasts or audio books during which makes it far more enjoyable. Environmental beneshits are a nice bonus as well.
We still have leaves coming off the oak trees here. It's crazy how late they are, quite a bit of my snowblowing is blowing leaves. :impressive: multi-use tool.

I REALLY like the electric tools too. I should probably buy the electric 2 stage snowblower instead of my buddy's gas, but the cost is a tough one to accept for such a thing.
Yep, my next door neighbor has a big ass oak and I am watching that thing just rain leaves on my lawn from my desk right now. Those are the main perpetrators still dropping stuff, but there are a lot of them around here. They also have the skinny leaves which are a lot more of a pain to collect. :ohwell:

I likely wouldn't drop $1200 either when you can get free.99. Especially since you have the electric, I imagine that will still do the trick for a lot of the snows? Just save the gasser for when it's needed due to depth? I really have zero clue about snow blowing :doe: , never done it, probably never will.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:03 am Oh man, ate so much food last night.

We started out with some homemade sushi. Went to the fish market right when they opened yesterday morning and grabbed some FOB tuna and salmon. 1.5lbs total and a thing of nori for like $45 :notbad: Cooked up 4 cups of sushi rice, complete with the sugar and rice wine vinegar, then shredded some carrots and cucumbers to put in the rolls too. Only thing I wish I'd remembered to grab for the salmon rolls was some avocado. Ate 2 big ass rolls, then had a bunch of sashimi and nigiri. Probably had 2.5 cups of rice and close to 1lb of fish myself with Michelle eating the rest. About 20 minutes after finishing I was still hungry so ordered a large stuffed crust pizza, cheese sticks, and chicken poppers from Papa Johns. Ate half the pizza, a little over half the cheese sticks, and almost all of the chicken. :fatty: Made sure to get a little walk in after the pizza and stuff so I actually felt fine going to bed and woke up hungry.
I went a bit :fatty: last night as well.

We went to this new Cuban restaurant in our neighborhood with our neighbors we're friends with . After living in Miami for five years, I love Cuban food/culture. This place was very authentic - live Cuban music, all of the waitstaff were Cuban. Their English wasn't optimal, decent, but with the semi-loud music it was a little tough.

Wife and I split an entrée of Cuban pork, rice, black beans, and plantains. We also ordered a couple of empanadas to try as an app. Well, they kept bringing us the :wrong: empanadas (neighbors had the same thing happen) I think due to the language barrier or just miscommunication with the kitchen due to being a new restaurant. I wound up eating like three free extra empanadas due to all of the mishaps we received. They were 5/7 and it ended up being a quite delicious/ :fatty: meal.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 am
Something about how light fish is, or maybe it has to do with it being uncooked and that makes it easier to digest (?) :iono: but my body just absorbs that shit so fast. I legitimately didn't feel like I had eaten anything at all after all the fish and rice was gone.

Next time we do a homemade sushi night I'll make sure to have something more healthy on hand to add to the meal so I don't order a pizza again :lol: maybe do some surf and turf and cook up a steak :drool:
It's hard for me to get full on sushi too. I can eat it until I feel like I'm going to burst and be hungry an hour later.

Surf and turf with sushi is a 5/7 idea.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:02 am
We still have leaves coming off the oak trees here. It's crazy how late they are, quite a bit of my snowblowing is blowing leaves. :impressive: multi-use tool.

I REALLY like the electric tools too. I should probably buy the electric 2 stage snowblower instead of my buddy's gas, but the cost is a tough one to accept for such a thing.
Yep, my next door neighbor has a big ass oak and I am watching that thing just rain leaves on my lawn from my desk right now. Those are the main perpetrators still dropping stuff, but there are a lot of them around here. They also have the skinny leaves which are a lot more of a pain to collect. :ohwell:

I likely wouldn't drop $1200 either when you can get free.99. Especially since you have the electric, I imagine that will still do the trick for a lot of the snows? Just save the gasser for when it's needed due to depth? I really have zero clue about snow blowing :doe: , never done it, probably never will.
Yep, that's exactly the plan. The little electric one will handle most storms with under 6" of accumulation. But when it's heavy and/or deep, the big boy will do work. The big ones don't really work well for light accumulation anyway.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 am

We started out with some homemade sushi. Went to the fish market right when they opened yesterday morning and grabbed some FOB tuna and salmon. 1.5lbs total and a thing of nori for like $45 :notbad: Cooked up 4 cups of sushi rice, complete with the sugar and rice wine vinegar, then shredded some carrots and cucumbers to put in the rolls too. Only thing I wish I'd remembered to grab for the salmon rolls was some avocado. Ate 2 big ass rolls, then had a bunch of sashimi and nigiri. Probably had 2.5 cups of rice and close to 1lb of fish myself with Michelle eating the rest. About 20 minutes after finishing I was still hungry so ordered a large stuffed crust pizza, cheese sticks, and chicken poppers from Papa Johns. Ate half the pizza, a little over half the cheese sticks, and almost all of the chicken. :fatty: Made sure to get a little walk in after the pizza and stuff so I actually felt fine going to bed and woke up hungry.

We went to this new Cuban restaurant in our neighborhood with our neighbors we're friends with . After living in Miami for five years, I love Cuban food/culture. This place was very authentic - live Cuban music, all of the waitstaff were Cuban. Their English wasn't optimal, decent, but with the semi-loud music it was a little tough.

Wife and I split an entrée of Cuban pork, rice, black beans, and plantains. We also ordered a couple of empanadas to try as an app. Well, they kept bringing us the :wrong: empanadas (neighbors had the same thing happen) I think due to the language barrier or just miscommunication with the kitchen due to being a new restaurant. I wound up eating like three free extra empanadas due to all of the mishaps we received. They were 5/7 and it ended up being a quite delicious/ :fatty: meal.
:jelly:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:mindblown:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:58 am

:jelly:
Charlotte has seriously lacked in Cuban for years, I'm stoked that we finally got something and the fact that it is walking distance to our house is a :mindblown: bonus.
wap

Got my 2 stage gas snow blower ready for winter yesterday. I barely used it last year and the oil was still clear and it fired up on the first pull so I didn't bother changing the oil or the spark plug :aintcare: . Put air in the tars and oiled the chute aiming mechanism and that was about it. We only got a light trace of snow so far this year so :iono: when I'll actually need to use the thing. This beast is over 15 years old now so when it dies I'll probably switch to a battery one. Hopefully they'll be a bit cheaper by then.
wap

Man, I like Cuban food, but there are no places around me. There was a Cuban sandwich shop a couple miles away from me a few years ago that made great sandwiches, but it closed after only a short while. :( Although, a Columbian place moved in to the same spot recently and it's been doing pretty well. It even bought the place next to it earlier this year and now it's a full sit down restaurant instead of just a take out counter. The food is dynamite, too, so that's nice. :megusta:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

You can always get a panini … if Cuban food isn’t around
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:16 pm You can always get a panini … if Cuban food isn’t around
A real Cuban sammy is tough to find :doe: ... :iono: CLT is interesting as far as food goes. We have a ton of fine dining and steakhouses, good but not really my bag. We have dynamite Mexican/Tex Mex, Vietnamese, Greek, Mediterranean, burgers, southrn/home cooking, BBQ. We have OK Indian, Thai, Chinese, sushi/Japanese. The sandwich and pizza game here is sort of meh. I don't even think I could find a panini better than Panera around here off the top of my head.

I was sort of spoiled traveling the US with a company card for so many years. Once you get nice sushi in Seattle, San Fran the stuff here isn't all that. When you get awesome Indian in Niagara Falls, Houston (one of the only good things about Houston), and other places, the stuff around here isn't exciting. Sandwich shops and pizza places in the NE trump most.

That is one thing this new Cuban place didn't really offer though, a Cuban sandwich. It seems a bit nicer/dinner oriented rather than like a cafe/lunch type :dill:
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:16 pm You can always get a panini … if Cuban food isn’t around
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:21 pm
A real Cuban sammy is tough to find :doe: ... :iono: CLT is interesting as far as food goes. We have a ton of fine dining and steakhouses, good but not really my bag. We have dynamite Mexican/Tex Mex, Vietnamese, Greek, Mediterranean, burgers, southrn/home cooking, BBQ. We have OK Indian, Thai, Chinese, sushi/Japanese. The sandwich and pizza game here is sort of meh. I don't even think I could find a panini better than Panera around here off the top of my head.

I was sort of spoiled traveling the US with a company card for so many years. Once you get nice sushi in Seattle, San Fran the stuff here isn't all that. When you get awesome Indian in Niagara Falls, Houston (one of the only good things about Houston), and other places, the stuff around here isn't exciting. Sandwich shops and pizza places in the NE trump most.

That is one thing this new Cuban place didn't really offer though, a Cuban sandwich. It seems a bit nicer/dinner oriented rather than like a cafe/lunch type :dill:
:dat:

A panini is a poor substitute for a real Cuban sandwich.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 am

I find I really don't get full unless I have a dece amount of carbs, meat doesn't fill me up at all. I think everyone's body digests stuff differently.

I would probably do some edamame with sushi night, it's healthy and good, we buy the steam bags you can just throw in the microwave sometimes and they're :notbad:
I actually have some of those in my freezer and meant to throw a bag in the microwave, but totally forgot about it until after eating the pizza and shit.
SAWCE

That sounds awesome. I've never had authentic Cuban food, but I think I'd enjoy it. I loved grabbing empanadas in Costa Rica.. An empanada spot opened up out here down the street from my last place, but they were :flaccid: :(
SAWCE

Anyone get into anything cool this weekend? We hit a little Christmas tree farm to get a tree for the house, decorated that, then just ran some errands like grocery shopping on Saturday. Gym, and lots of eating yesterday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 pm Anyone get into anything cool this weekend? We hit a little Christmas tree farm to get a tree for the house, decorated that, then just ran some errands like grocery shopping on Saturday. Gym, and lots of eating yesterday.
Friday night had a few friends over and played Monopoly.

Saturday I blew some leaves and did yard shit, then I did a metric century (100 km) bike ride with my buddy Maxx. We took our vintage bikes and hit some breweries/beer gardens around some of the suburban towns outside of Charlotte, which was a lot of fun. I was beat when I got home from that and just chilled and ate a bunch of food.

Yesterday was pretty relaxing, cleaned the house a bit with the wife, cleaned the interior of the Beep Beep, walked the :doge: with the wife, went to the Cuban place with the neighbor friends.

All-in-all, it was a :nice: weekend, great weather considering it's December.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 pm Anyone get into anything cool this weekend? We hit a little Christmas tree farm to get a tree for the house, decorated that, then just ran some errands like grocery shopping on Saturday. Gym, and lots of eating yesterday.
in4treepics.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:34 pm

Saturday I blew some leaves and did yard shit, then I did a metric century (100 km) bike ride with my buddy Maxx. We took our vintage bikes and hit some breweries/beer gardens around some of the suburban towns outside of Charlotte, which was a lot of fun. I was beat when I got home from that and just chilled and ate a bunch of food.

Yesterday was pretty relaxing, cleaned the house a bit with the wife, cleaned the interior of the Beep Beep, walked the :doge: with the wife, went to the Cuban place with the neighbor friends.

Sounds nice. Long chill rides like that seem cool.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:35 pm
in4treepics.
I'll snap one tonight!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:34 pm

Yeah, I love just riding around a new city (or even my own city), stopping to explore, take pics, get food/drink, whatever. It's funny, a lot of the road cyclists I ride with are 100% serious all the time, every ride needs to be training in some way, shooting for speed/PRs/top ten finishes and shit. Sometimes it's great to just have fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:35 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Yeah, I love just riding around a new city (or even my own city), stopping to explore, take pics, get food/drink, whatever. It's funny, a lot of the road cyclists I ride with are 100% serious all the time, every ride needs to be training in some way, shooting for speed/PRs/top ten finishes and shit. Sometimes it's great to just have fun.
A lot of people can't just have fun. Which is why I have a hard time making friends with activity ties.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

He are a few pics from the ride and my Charleston touring ride last weekend:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What kind of bike is that? Looks vintage ! Super cool pics
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:13 pm What kind of bike is that? Looks vintage ! Super cool pics
Thanks man! It is, it's a 1984 Raleigh Grand Prix road bike. Raleigh has been around forever, they started in England like 100 years ago. They built bikes in England for many years, but this particular one was interestingly designed in the USA. My mom bought it for my dad when they got engaged, so it's been in the family since new, but I recently did pretty much a full build and replaced most of the components.

I use this bike for commuting, fun/beer city rides, greenways, etc. I have a modern carbon road bike and a mountain bike for other types of riding.