OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:04 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 pm But you needed hundreds of thousands of dollars in bigger houses, :poorvette: :truk: :truk: :truk: :jeep: :truk: boat etc ?

It is not about need, it's about joining the 21st century for relatively no investment.
:iono: when sitting on one all day is a requirement of your job, it's not all that exciting. I have a MBP I sort of inherited from my wife/her employer and never use the thing. I'm just already on my work one so it's easier to use that.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Though, I can admit that using the work one for personal stuff was challenging with some IT restrictions. It's also probably not the best idea.

Also, I use turbo tax to do my taxes, and it's way cheaper to buy the software from Costco and install it on a PC than it is to use the online system.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote:Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Maybe I'll keep this thing...
Deets on the laptop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:19 am
Detroit wrote:Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Maybe I'll keep this thing...
Deets on the laptop

I bought what was in stock at Costco, this $800:
https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideapad-5 ... 45160.html

I may return it for this since it's onsale for $500, only online :doe: ...
https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideapad-3 ... 67806.html

The $500 one is obviously worse in a number of ways, but I'm not sure it's worse enough that I'd even notice. The extra $300 back would be nice because :scrooge: .

I don't know much about computers anymore and don't really care. Obviously, because it's been a decade since I bought anything so anything is fast.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:19 am Deets on the laptop

The $500 one is obviously worse in a number of ways, but I'm not sure it's worse enough that I'd even notice. The extra $300 back would be nice because :scrooge: .

I don't know much about computers anymore and don't really care. Obviously, because it's been a decade since I bought anything so anything is fast.
That $500 one is pretty nice. :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: I bought what was in stock at Costco, this $800:

That $500 one is pretty nice. :doit:
Right? I don't see the value in the $800 over the $500 one, especially for what I do. DFD, pRon, etc.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:37 am That $500 one is pretty nice. :doit:
Right? I don't see the value in the $800 over the $500 one, especially for what I do. DFD, pRon, etc.
There's none. Everything's the same except for the CPU, and the cheaper one is still a plenty good 6 core Ryzen chip. Better than what I'm using today.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Right? I don't see the value in the $800 over the $500 one, especially for what I do. DFD, pRon, etc.
There's none. Everything's the same except for the CPU, and the cheaper one is still a plenty good 6 core Ryzen chip. Better than what I'm using today.
That's what I thought. I think there's some subtle differences between the quality of components, but IDGAF
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:05 am
max225 wrote:
Cell phone use is a $600 4 point ticket ?

What about going 80 in a 50?
In my state, jail. License suspension? You're lucky

I approved your new account, also emailed you to the EM on file to make sure it is current...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:15 am Sup fellas.

I need help that requires admins. Mostly for passport issues.

I got a little problem with my DFD usability. Also I forgot my password probably 1 year ago. I don't typically have wide range of passports for pretty much anything, and tried anything I could think of, but none worked. So I did what any joe would do and press forgot password, never received an email for the amount of attempts god knows how many times I've tried from time to time within the past 6-8 months.

Now I can only access to Dfd via tapatalk off my phone and on my laptop (automatically remembers my ps.). I recently got an ipad so I don't use my laptop as much anymore. But I somehow can't upload pics off tp anymore for whatever reason. Also being a tapatalk, long ago I changed notification settings to off cause I kept getting endless notifications for things that aren't directed to me. Now I tried to register myself as a new member and still got nothing, including a secondary email where it lets me know im activated.

Just emailed you a new PW, let me know if you are able to get in.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Speaking of laptops, :tits: started her own small crafts business and was using my 2019 MacBook Pro 95% of the time. She paid me a few hundo for it because she needs it for her business and already has all of her stuff on it. So I used that money and got the base entry level MacBook Air for $900. It has Apple’s proprietary M1 chip and it is fucking insane. The $900 air is faster and more efficient than the Intel Chip MBP I got for $1,800 two years earlier.

MBP has better components for more professional use and also has more ports available which she needs to connect to her printers and cutting machines and stuff so it’s a win-win.

She already sticker-bombed the laptop with pink shit. :disgust:

Pretty happy with the purchase. I am an Apple retard though. But now that I have modern gear across the board the seamless integration for using everything is :mindblown:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

testing
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pmtesting
Tested
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pmtesting
Tested
:sad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It worked griff, but I can't reply to you for some reason. But i'm in now :fuckyeah:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It worked griff, but I can't reply to you for some reason. But i'm in now :fuckyeah:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Oh how I miss accidental double posting :hue:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:30 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:19 am
Deets on the laptop

Pretty much the same for me too :lol: any new macbook will be a "this is it" laptop for me. I'm now rocking a 2014 Macbook Pro. Last time I got a brand spanking new laptop was in 2009 :lolol:

I'm sure that extra $300 might be worth it, but depends on the purpose you're using it for.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm Speaking of laptops, :tits: started her own small crafts business and was using my 2019 MacBook Pro 95% of the time. She paid me a few hundo for it because she needs it for her business and already has all of her stuff on it. So I used that money and got the base entry level MacBook Air for $900. It has Apple’s proprietary M1 chip and it is fucking insane. The $900 air is faster and more efficient than the Intel Chip MBP I got for $1,800 two years earlier.

MBP has better components for more professional use and also has more ports available which she needs to connect to her printers and cutting machines and stuff so it’s a win-win.

Pretty happy with the purchase. I am an Apple retard though. But now that I have modern gear across the board the seamless integration for using everything is :mindblown:
I looked at Apples because my MBP is 10 years old and still works great, it's the software that won't support it anymore. Clearly it had excellent hardware and design, but for something I barely use, it's hard to justify the price premium. Hell, pretty certain I'm going to return this laptop and buy the cheaper one I posted.

:scrooge:
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:30 am

Pretty much the same for me too :lol: any new macbook will be a "this is it" laptop for me. I'm now rocking a 2014 Macbook Pro. Last time I got a brand spanking new laptop was in 2009 :lolol:

I'm sure that extra $300 might be worth it, but depends on the purpose you're using it for.
Purpose is virtual interviews, DFD, pRon, maybe watching some YouTube. I don't need anything fancy.

I like Lenovo products, always good durability from the IBM days and reasonably priced. I could get a cheaper HP, but my last 2 work laptops we're HPs and they had shit build quality. My last one was missing two keys and I never abused it really.

Apple is the best quality, but just can't justify the cost.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm Speaking of laptops, :tits: started her own small crafts business and was using my 2019 MacBook Pro 95% of the time. She paid me a few hundo for it because she needs it for her business and already has all of her stuff on it. So I used that money and got the base entry level MacBook Air for $900. It has Apple’s proprietary M1 chip and it is fucking insane. The $900 air is faster and more efficient than the Intel Chip MBP I got for $1,800 two years earlier.

IN your defense, I have really loved the Apple laptops I've had (I've owned the OG MacBook and 2 Pros, one from work, one the aforementioned one I got on the way cheap from my wife's employer)... I have had three different Dells from three different companies and they are absolute dogshit comparatively in basically every way. They run clunkier, they break more, they just look/feel cheap, the track pads are fucking heinous, built in audio is shit, etc.

Now, the Apple phones are more of a 3/7 to me, my iTrude 8 is starting to be shitty just because Apple wants it to be shitty, IMO. They are :nice: but I think I like Pixels better and they're not $1200.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm

Purpose is virtual interviews, DFD, pRon, maybe watching some YouTube. I don't need anything fancy.

I like Lenovo products, always good durability from the IBM days and reasonably priced. I could get a cheaper HP, but my last 2 work laptops we're HPs and they had shit build quality. My last one was missing two keys and I never abused it really.

The LenovBro would probably be a sweet spot for me as well. I just don't do anything that makes a four figure purchase make sense.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:53 pm

IN your defense, I have really loved the Apple laptops I've had (I've owned the OG MacBook and 2 Pros, one from work, one the aforementioned one I got on the way cheap from my wife's employer)... I have had three different Dells from three different companies and they are absolute dogshit comparatively in basically every way. They run clunkier, they break more, they just look/feel cheap, the track pads are fucking heinous, built in audio is shit, etc.

Now, the Apple phones are more of a 3/7 to me, my iTrude 8 is starting to be shitty just because Apple wants it to be shitty, IMO. They are :nice: but I think I like Pixels better and they're not $1200.
Most flagship phones are all at $1k or so +/- $200

I have a work iPhone SE (new model, looks like an 8 design wise) and it’s working fine.

The MacBook Air was on sale, for $900 it’s one of the best “deals” given that it has that M1 chip.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:50 pm

At that point, I'd go with the :scrooge: one
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am There's none. Everything's the same except for the CPU, and the cheaper one is still a plenty good 6 core Ryzen chip. Better than what I'm using today.
That's what I thought. I think there's some subtle differences between the quality of components, but IDGAF
Screen quality is the thing that is often the big difference between otherwise similar models, but the two you posted are both the same decent IPS LCD and they have good hard drives and RAM so you'd 100% be good with the cheaper one. If I hadn't spent $5000 recently on bikes and music shit I would almost get someone with a membershit to buy me one...

but my now ~4 year old HP is still trucking along fine and only showing its limitations in how slowly it renders video files after making edits. I guess I'll keep :waiting: until it has a problem or I end up doing a lot more video work.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea specs don't really matter for anyone not gaming anymore. Especially for most work. The screen resolution certainly does. I had a 720p in my last laptop and wanted to blow my god damn brains out. It was unusable. However, 1080p is the bare minimum IMO. Anything less makes it a paperweight good for watching movies.