OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 pm Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Maybe I'll keep this thing...
And the crazy part is your laptop is probably already outdated in terms of bleeding edge tech shit.
Oh, I know. I bought on price point, I don't care about having the best, I just want something that isn't a POS
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:06 pm
Brother from another mother...I'm in the exact same boat.

I've found that I have zero interest in promotions, but I'm motivated by new challenges. I'm more motivated being unemployed and interviewing than I have been in a while. Not that you need to :nuke: your current company, but maybe try to move laterally? Not every move needs to be a promotion, especially if more money is :aintcare: There's a very high personal cost for more income, and I just don't see it worth it to me.

I also have few hobbies, but I'm going to start volunteering. I think I've had life too easy in the grand scheme and feel a hole in me that could be filled by giving back in some way. I'm thinking about being a big brother to a kid who's had a rough go. Maybe I can change his life a bit by providing a positive/educated influence that could steer him in the right direction. I'm incredibly motivated by that idea.
You could be like a counselor for a camping group or Boy Scouts or whatever.
I didn't have kids because I don't like children younger than 10ish. And there's a lot of kids between 10ish and 18 that got dealt a really shitty hand in life and I'd really love to give them a leg up if possible. Boy scouts ain't it, but if a kid wanted to, I'd help him figure that stuff out.

I want to step in where others failed. Turning around a life is more appealing to me than making one that's set from day one. I think that's my "purpose" for humanity. :gaydance:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:06 pm
Brother from another mother...I'm in the exact same boat.

I've found that I have zero interest in promotions, but I'm motivated by new challenges. I'm more motivated being unemployed and interviewing than I have been in a while. Not that you need to :nuke: your current company, but maybe try to move laterally? Not every move needs to be a promotion, especially if more money is :aintcare: There's a very high personal cost for more income, and I just don't see it worth it to me.

I also have few hobbies, but I'm going to start volunteering. I think I've had life too easy in the grand scheme and feel a hole in me that could be filled by giving back in some way. I'm thinking about being a big brother to a kid who's had a rough go. Maybe I can change his life a bit by providing a positive/educated influence that could steer him in the right direction. I'm incredibly motivated by that idea.
You could be like a counselor for a camping group or Boy Scouts or whatever.
Eagle scout checking in. Nfw would i want to babysit the misfits again. The cool outdoorsy kids sure, but thats like 30% compared to the 70% that the parents stick in because its the closest thing they could find to military rules and any sort of discipline for their little monster.

Most the kids had no intention or desire to be there.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:
razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:19 pm You could be like a counselor for a camping group or Boy Scouts or whatever.
I didn't have kids because I don't like children younger than 10ish. And there's a lot of kids between 10ish and 18 that got dealt a really shitty hand in life and I'd really love to give them a leg up if possible. Boy scouts ain't it, but if a kid wanted to, I'd help him figure that stuff out.

I want to step in where others failed. Turning around a life is more appealing to me than making one that's set from day one. I think that's my "purpose" for humanity. :gaydance:
Idk what your background is but around here we got a lot of code for kids/stem/robotics type stuff, and its also a good network with the other leaders. Ive done some workshops but want to do more when this mythical thing we call "time" exists.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

rockchops wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 pm
Detroit wrote: I didn't have kids because I don't like children younger than 10ish. And there's a lot of kids between 10ish and 18 that got dealt a really shitty hand in life and I'd really love to give them a leg up if possible. Boy scouts ain't it, but if a kid wanted to, I'd help him figure that stuff out.

Idk what your background is but around here we got a lot of code for kids/stem/robotics type stuff, and its also a good network with the other leaders. Ive done some workshops but want to do more when this mythical thing we call "time" exists.
His background is powerpoints.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm My mortgage is currently fucked from a judgment 11 years ago. I fucking hate being me; this is what a failure looks like, Dplac.
That's not failing, that's just shit luck.

Did I never mention losing a house a day before closing after being moved out of the old one and being forced to live with my dad for 2 months before we found a new one?
Been homeless/in-laws for over 2 months now and just now losing the house. I’m going to try to call in every favor I have and then some.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:08 pm
rockchops wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:59 pm Idk what your background is but around here we got a lot of code for kids/stem/robotics type stuff, and its also a good network with the other leaders. Ive done some workshops but want to do more when this mythical thing we call "time" exists.
His background is powerpoints.
Yea, worthless. I can help with life skills, that's about it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:07 pm
That's not failing, that's just shit luck.

Did I never mention losing a house a day before closing after being moved out of the old one and being forced to live with my dad for 2 months before we found a new one?
Been homeless/in-laws for over 2 months now and just now losing the house. I’m going to try to call in every favor I have and then some.
I know man. It's a fucking raw deal and you just got screwed. It's a terrible feeling and I'm sorry to hear that it went this way for you. House deals never go smoothly, but this is extra bullshit you didn't need to deal with.

I still don't quite understand the entire situation, but maybe there's a chance of a hail Mary?
ChrisoftheNorth

I just think about the lonely kids. The kids that might not have a strong male influence, or feel lost. Probably not drawn to anything in particular, just floating and alone. I'd love to help them if I can. I feel like that's my thing somehow.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:14 pm :dat:

Not having a real computer is for dumbasses who spend their free time on tiktok and tinder.
I haven't really needed one :doe:
But you needed hundreds of thousands of dollars in bigger houses, :poorvette: :truk: :truk: :truk: :jeep: :truk: boat etc ?

It is not about need, it's about joining the 21st century for relatively no investment.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 pm I just think about the lonely kids. The kids that might not have a strong male influence, or feel lost. Probably not drawn to anything in particular, just floating and alone. I'd love to help them if I can. I feel like that's my thing somehow.
I’ve thought about doing this too. Would definitely be rewarding. But the days of me not having my own kid(s) are coming to an end here in the next few years, so that’ll be something I have to do after I’m done raising my own.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Man, I just finally finished watching the last Jeopardy episodes with Trebek. It's really weird seeing the show without him.

RIP to the man with all the answers. :sadface:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:Man, I just finally finished watching the last Jeopardy episodes with Trebek. It's really weird seeing the show without him.

I cant get into the new presenters. It just isnt the same.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:21 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm
Assplain
I think I'll be most successful in a smaller organization where I can have more input that's actually valued by leadership. I want a flat org with minimal bureaucracy and management layers to work though. I want to be given a problem to solve (not a stupid impossible corporate metric) and given the autonomy and resources to solve it quickly and effectively without a bunch of micromanagement :bs: and layers of "management" idiots to tell me how I'm going to solve it. I'm a critical thinker with a brain that never shuts off requiring constant exercise. You'd think that would be valued to employers, but it's not at big corps from my experience.

I don't fit in well with big corps. I crashed and burned badly at FCA, I left GM because of crippling bureaucracy, and while the new gig I'm likely going to be offered is different and flatter, I'm still not entirely sure it's the right move.

I'm in final rounds with another company that's in post-startup growth mode, recently acquired by a larger corp that's leaving them alone. I've interacted with the corp in other jobs, and it's actually a good one from my past experience. Not only is the culture what I like, but it would shift my focus from physical products to digital, which is exactly what I want for future career growth AND it would be a promotion with a pay increase. Everyone I've interviewed with so far has been awesome, and it's a place where I feel like I could really thrive. I've never wanted a job this bad.

BUT, no offers yet, still final rounds to go, so anything is possible.

If GM came in before the other one, I'd be in a tough spot because I really don't have much interest in that big corp life anymore. Would I risk extended unemployment and turn down the GM gig in hopes of the other one coming through? And then if that didn't come through, I'm starting back at square one? I've got the financial means to last a while without employment, but at the same time, turning down lucrative job opps being picky for an ideal org is not something I can see myself doing, although it would probably be the right thing.

The shitty part is I really just want a break from it all. I want time to reset my brain and not think about anything career/work related for a while. Take some time to figure out what's next while I detox both chemically and emotionally. Timing just isn't on my side in that way.
:word:
After working for very large and small companies, small is definitely where it's at for someone like you (and me). You really MATTER in a small company. I'm a one-person department interfacing with Operations/Production, Shipping, Receiving, Sales, Purchasing, and Accounting, and I report directly to the president of the company, a whip-smart guy who often seeks my input, readily acknowledges that I know more about the business than him (he's only been with us for a few years vs my 29), and sometimes actually takes my advice. :lol:
I think you'd absolutely thrive in a small, successful company.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 pm Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Maybe I'll keep this thing...
Yeah I've been following this laptop thing.......you're a grown ass man and this is 2021. Have a computer that isn't provided by a corporate overlord....
:dat:
Keep it.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 pm Man, I just finally finished watching the last Jeopardy episodes with Trebek. It's really weird seeing the show without him.

:pouroneout:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:21 pm I think I'll be most successful in a smaller organization where I can have more input that's actually valued by leadership. I want a flat org with minimal bureaucracy and management layers to work though. I want to be given a problem to solve (not a stupid impossible corporate metric) and given the autonomy and resources to solve it quickly and effectively without a bunch of micromanagement :bs: and layers of "management" idiots to tell me how I'm going to solve it. I'm a critical thinker with a brain that never shuts off requiring constant exercise. You'd think that would be valued to employers, but it's not at big corps from my experience.

I don't fit in well with big corps. I crashed and burned badly at FCA, I left GM because of crippling bureaucracy, and while the new gig I'm likely going to be offered is different and flatter, I'm still not entirely sure it's the right move.

I'm in final rounds with another company that's in post-startup growth mode, recently acquired by a larger corp that's leaving them alone. I've interacted with the corp in other jobs, and it's actually a good one from my past experience. Not only is the culture what I like, but it would shift my focus from physical products to digital, which is exactly what I want for future career growth AND it would be a promotion with a pay increase. Everyone I've interviewed with so far has been awesome, and it's a place where I feel like I could really thrive. I've never wanted a job this bad.

If GM came in before the other one, I'd be in a tough spot because I really don't have much interest in that big corp life anymore. Would I risk extended unemployment and turn down the GM gig in hopes of the other one coming through? And then if that didn't come through, I'm starting back at square one? I've got the financial means to last a while without employment, but at the same time, turning down lucrative job opps being picky for an ideal org is not something I can see myself doing, although it would probably be the right thing.

The shitty part is I really just want a break from it all. I want time to reset my brain and not think about anything career/work related for a while. Take some time to figure out what's next while I detox both chemically and emotionally. Timing just isn't on my side in that way.
After working for very large and small companies, small is definitely where it's at for someone like you (and me). You really MATTER in a small company. I'm a one-person department interfacing with Operations/Production, Shipping, Receiving, Sales, Purchasing, and Accounting, and I report directly to the president of the company, a whip-smart guy who often seeks my input, readily acknowledges that I know more about the business than him (he's only been with us for a few years vs my 29), and sometimes actually takes my advice. Image
So much this.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:21 pm
I think I'll be most successful in a smaller organization where I can have more input that's actually valued by leadership. I want a flat org with minimal bureaucracy and management layers to work though. I want to be given a problem to solve (not a stupid impossible corporate metric) and given the autonomy and resources to solve it quickly and effectively without a bunch of micromanagement :bs: and layers of "management" idiots to tell me how I'm going to solve it. I'm a critical thinker with a brain that never shuts off requiring constant exercise. You'd think that would be valued to employers, but it's not at big corps from my experience.

After working for very large and small companies, small is definitely where it's at for someone like you (and me). You really MATTER in a small company. I'm a one-person department interfacing with Operations/Production, Shipping, Receiving, Sales, Purchasing, and Accounting, and I report directly to the president of the company, a whip-smart guy who often seeks my input, readily acknowledges that I know more about the business than him (he's only been with us for a few years vs my 29), and sometimes actually takes my advice. :lol:
Yep, agreed 100%. It'll just be tough to turn down a lucrative offer from GM (who has incredible benefits) in favor of holding out for a more ideal organization.

And this is where I'm torn.

I've set life up so far that I could realistically be done working in 15-20 years. How much does it really matter where I land with that timeframe? I know GM would be "good enough" and give me the eventual financial freedom I want.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 pm
Detroit wrote: I haven't really needed one :doe:
But you needed hundreds of thousands of dollars in bigger houses, :poorvette: :truk: :truk: :truk: :jeep: :truk: boat etc ?

It is not about need, it's about joining the 21st century for relatively no investment.
I guess this time around I'll use my work computer exclusively for work and spend more time on the personal one.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 pm I just think about the lonely kids. The kids that might not have a strong male influence, or feel lost. Probably not drawn to anything in particular, just floating and alone. I'd love to help them if I can. I feel like that's my thing somehow.
I’ve thought about doing this too. Would definitely be rewarding. But the days of me not having my own kid(s) are coming to an end here in the next few years, so that’ll be something I have to do after I’m done raising my own.
Having your own is a completely different responsibility. You'll be plenty busy with that.

That life isn't for me, so I'll try to focus on kids that have been mostly forgotten. The world doesn't need more mes, but it could use some help with the unfortunate ones that people have ignored. Thinking about those kids makes me :rage:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 am
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:07 pm

Yep, agreed 100%. It'll just be tough to turn down a lucrative offer from GM (who has incredible benefits) in favor of holding out for a more ideal organization.

I've set life up so far that I could realistically be done working in 15-20 years. How much does it really matter where I land with that timeframe? I know GM would be "good enough" and give me the eventual financial freedom I want.
Would the GM gig allow you to drop that “retirement” timeframe down to say 10 years? Could be worth it in that lens… you’ve really set yourself up well to be free.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:41 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 am

Would the GM gig allow you to drop that “retirement” timeframe down to say 10 years? Could be worth it in that lens… you’ve really set yourself up well to be free.
Yes, perhaps. It's a lateral move with lateral pay for now, but the benefits are outstanding for both retirement savings and health. I don't have much interest in being promoted because all that takes is playing politics that I suck at, so I'd be at a similar income for most of those 10 years. Aggressive savings might get me there.

It's all hypothetical because I don't have an offer to weigh yet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 pm
Detroit wrote: I haven't really needed one :doe:

:iono: when sitting on one all day is a requirement of your job, it's not all that exciting. I have a MBP I sort of inherited from my wife/her employer and never use the thing. I'm just already on my work one so it's easier to use that.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:11 pm Hand held device while operating a vehicle. I was at the lights, checking on some douche-bro to respond to me about our pick up arrangement for gym equipment that I drove 45 min to pick up. When I finally got to his neck of the woods I was trying to set my GPS before the lights changed, and behind me sat a po-po in an unmarked black pickup truck. Lights turned, I tucked in my phone, and started to drive. The dude had no qualms about throwing a $600/four point ticket my way. I think it'll really mess with my insurance rates/coverage. I'm trying to figure out what options I have between now and the court date.
Cell phone use is a $600 4 point ticket ?

What about going 80 in a 50?
In my state, jail. License suspension? You're lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Sup fellas.

I need help that requires admins. Mostly for passport issues.

I got a little problem with my DFD usability. Also I forgot my password probably 1 year ago. I don't typically have wide range of passports for pretty much anything, and tried anything I could think of, but none worked. So I did what any joe would do and press forgot password, never received an email for the amount of attempts god knows how many times I've tried from time to time within the past 6-8 months.

Now I can only access to Dfd via tapatalk off my phone and on my laptop (automatically remembers my ps.). I recently got an ipad so I don't use my laptop as much anymore. But I somehow can't upload pics off tp anymore for whatever reason. Also being a tapatalk, long ago I changed notification settings to off cause I kept getting endless notifications for things that aren't directed to me. Now I tried to register myself as a new member and still got nothing, including a secondary email where it lets me know im activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.