OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:39 pm Had to buy a windows laptop today for interviews on Microsoft Teams. Last computer I bought was a $180 chromebook a few years ago. Works great for internet browsing, though small. Before that was 10 years ago, my MBP that still works fine, but has been abandoned by both Apple and Microsoft due to age making it a paperweight.

Got a Lenovo Ideapad 5 from Costco. $800 and it's got 12GB of ram (which is :mindblown: to me, my MBP has 4 and that was insane at the time), 500gb SSD, big ass screen, overall ok. I've never been so uninterested in a purchase. BUT, if I attempt an interview and the chromebook shits out on me, seems like an instant pass. "Sorry, I'm too cheap to buy a windows laptop and my $180 chromebook can't handle teams".

I may return it after I get a job :doe:
I thought you were almost back at GM?
This is for final round interviews at GM.

I don't think I want to go back to GM :doe: I'd much rather get into a smaller org.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:56 pm

I guess I sort of take that for granted, I do them all on my company provided PC :lolol:

You can do Teams on iPhone, if you put it on a stand or something, it would probably work fine.
Yea, I'd never use a work computer for other company job interviews. But I don't have a work computer now anyway.

I need to make a presentation from a case study and present it on Thursday using Teams. I couldn't figure out how to do it reliably with something other than a decent windows machine.

I used my Chromebook for a zoom interview last week, and the camera looked like ass and I think I was hard to hear. Since all interviews are remote, I probably should have a solid computer to facilitate.

Costco has a 90 day return policy on computers, so I'll probably return it once I sign an offer. This is the first time I've needed a computer.
:word:

That makes sense.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 pm
max225 wrote:
:yeahok: every gov is doing the same. Humans didn’t get better at running over the last 40 years … something else did …
Humans did get better at diet and training, which is making them faster.
I'd love to see an Olympic sub-set where people can use PEDs.. Let's see what the human body is actually capable of :megusta:
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:55 pm My give a fuck is BUUUUSSSTED.
Same dude. Everything on the contract I'm working on is waiting for funding to come through so we can actually authorize the contractor to do this additional work, so I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs. Did some online trainings to try to keep productive, but I can only click through so many slides every day before I nod off.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 pm Humans did get better at diet and training, which is making them faster.
I'd love to see an Olympic sub-set where people can use PEDs.. Let's see what the human body is actually capable of :megusta:
Everyone is doing it. You just have to stop a few days/weeks before the test.
max225

Yea dude had a talk with my woman about this yesterday. I’m nearly completely checked out.

Doing all I need to do to stay employed but that’s it… is this a covid burn out ?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm

Everyone is doing it. You just have to stop a few days/weeks before the test.
Depends on the drug and the delivery method..
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:00 pm
I thought you were almost back at GM?

I don't think I want to go back to GM :doe: I'd much rather get into a smaller org.
Hope it all works out the way you want it to, :mahman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:25 pm
Yea dude had a talk with my woman about this yesterday. I’m nearly completely checked out.

Doing all I need to do to stay employed but that’s it… is this a covid burn out ?
I think it depends. Certainly an element of burnout, but companies give zero fucks about employees and it's hard to stay motivated when it's that obvious and you're physically disconnected. Not that being in the office all the time is better, it's just easier to commiserate with coworkers to keep going.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 pm

It will eventually, I'm sure. I just need to be patient and picky this go round. I'm working up to the possibility that I may have to pass on a job offer due to cultural concerns.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:42 pm

It will eventually, I'm sure. I just need to be patient and picky this go round. I'm working up to the possibility that I may have to pass on a job offer due to cultural concerns.
Assplain
Apex
Drives: Abominable

My mortgage is currently fucked from a judgment 11 years ago. I fucking hate being me; this is what a failure looks like, Dplac.
wap

:wat: happened now?? :(
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:iono: it always goes in phases for me. I think I'm realizing since I've been going back to the office that I just stopped caring a while back and have been going through the motions. We are measured on our sales numbers of course, and also our productivity. I crushed it enough with building up a nice customer base in like 2019 that the sales mostly come in without herculean efforts and it is easy enough to make the productivity high by just calling a bunch of people I know won't answer or are just cool to shoot the shit with. That said, eventually it will catch up with me as they expect sales to continually see double digit growth year over year.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:57 pm

:iono: it always goes in phases for me. I think I'm realizing since I've been going back to the office that I just stopped caring a while back and have been going through the motions. We are measured on our sales numbers of course, and also our productivity. I crushed it enough with building up a nice customer base in like 2019 that the sales mostly come in without herculean efforts and it is easy enough to make the productivity high by just calling a bunch of people I know won't answer or are just cool to shoot the shit with. That said, eventually it will catch up with me as they expect sales to continually see double digit growth year over year.
I burn out after about 3/4 years at the same role. Which is exactly what I am at. I know this is different for everyone. I am not sure if a GAF enough to continue to grow my career. That sort of shit is incredibly stressful and at the end of the day. I am :notsure: I want to sell my soul and any free time I have for more money...
That's the sort of thing I am struggling with at the moment...

Yes paycheck + medical is great... but what's next... ?! I have been working pretty much for 20 years now... longer than I have been not working. :yikes:
The problem is I am still not sure what I would occupy my time with at the moment... Not many hobbies to speak of.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:43 pm

I think it depends. Certainly an element of burnout, but companies give zero fucks about employees and it's hard to stay motivated when it's that obvious and you're physically disconnected. Not that being in the office all the time is better, it's just easier to commiserate with coworkers to keep going.
Yea I haven't seen a co worker face to face for 18 months now... which is frankly :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:57 pm

I burn out after about 3/4 years at the same role. Which is exactly what I am at. I know this is different for everyone. I am not sure if a GAF enough to continue to grow my career. That sort of shit is incredibly stressful and at the end of the day. I am :notsure: I want to sell my soul and any free time I have for more money...

Yes paycheck + medical is great... but what's next... ?! I have been working pretty much for 20 years now... longer than I have been not working. :yikes:
The problem is I am still not sure what I would occupy my time with at the moment... Not many hobbies to speak of.
Brother from another mother...I'm in the exact same boat.

I've found that I have zero interest in promotions, but I'm motivated by new challenges. I'm more motivated being unemployed and interviewing than I have been in a while. Not that you need to :nuke: your current company, but maybe try to move laterally? Not every move needs to be a promotion, especially if more money is :aintcare: There's a very high personal cost for more income, and I just don't see it worth it to me.

I also have few hobbies, but I'm going to start volunteering. I think I've had life too easy in the grand scheme and feel a hole in me that could be filled by giving back in some way. I'm thinking about being a big brother to a kid who's had a rough go. Maybe I can change his life a bit by providing a positive/educated influence that could steer him in the right direction. I'm incredibly motivated by that idea.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm My mortgage is currently fucked from a judgment 11 years ago. I fucking hate being me; this is what a failure looks like, Dplac.
That's not failing, that's just shit luck.

Did I never mention losing a house a day before closing after being moved out of the old one and being forced to live with my dad for 2 months before we found a new one?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:44 pm
Assplain
I think I'll be most successful in a smaller organization where I can have more input that's actually valued by leadership. I want a flat org with minimal bureaucracy and management layers to work though. I want to be given a problem to solve (not a stupid impossible corporate metric) and given the autonomy and resources to solve it quickly and effectively without a bunch of micromanagement :bs: and layers of "management" idiots to tell me how I'm going to solve it. I'm a critical thinker with a brain that never shuts off requiring constant exercise. You'd think that would be valued to employers, but it's not at big corps from my experience.

I don't fit in well with big corps. I crashed and burned badly at FCA, I left GM because of crippling bureaucracy, and while the new gig I'm likely going to be offered is different and flatter, I'm still not entirely sure it's the right move.

I'm in final rounds with another company that's in post-startup growth mode, recently acquired by a larger corp that's leaving them alone. I've interacted with the corp in other jobs, and it's actually a good one from my past experience. Not only is the culture what I like, but it would shift my focus from physical products to digital, which is exactly what I want for future career growth AND it would be a promotion with a pay increase. Everyone I've interviewed with so far has been awesome, and it's a place where I feel like I could really thrive. I've never wanted a job this bad.

BUT, no offers yet, still final rounds to go, so anything is possible.

If GM came in before the other one, I'd be in a tough spot because I really don't have much interest in that big corp life anymore. Would I risk extended unemployment and turn down the GM gig in hopes of the other one coming through? And then if that didn't come through, I'm starting back at square one? I've got the financial means to last a while without employment, but at the same time, turning down lucrative job opps being picky for an ideal org is not something I can see myself doing, although it would probably be the right thing.

The shitty part is I really just want a break from it all. I want time to reset my brain and not think about anything career/work related for a while. Take some time to figure out what's next while I detox both chemically and emotionally. Timing just isn't on my side in that way.
ChrisoftheNorth

Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Maybe I'll keep this thing...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 pm Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Yeah I've been following this laptop thing.......you're a grown ass man and this is 2021. Have a computer that isn't provided by a corporate overlord....
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:23 pm Damn, this laptop is fast AF. I didn't realize tech could work this well, I just assumed everything was slow/shitty since my work computers have all been horrible.

Yeah I've been following this laptop thing.......you're a grown ass man and this is 2021. Have a computer that isn't provided by a corporate overlord....
:dat:

Not having a real computer is for dumbasses who spend their free time on tiktok and tinder.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:52 pm

Brother from another mother...I'm in the exact same boat.

I've found that I have zero interest in promotions, but I'm motivated by new challenges. I'm more motivated being unemployed and interviewing than I have been in a while. Not that you need to :nuke: your current company, but maybe try to move laterally? Not every move needs to be a promotion, especially if more money is :aintcare: There's a very high personal cost for more income, and I just don't see it worth it to me.

I also have few hobbies, but I'm going to start volunteering. I think I've had life too easy in the grand scheme and feel a hole in me that could be filled by giving back in some way. I'm thinking about being a big brother to a kid who's had a rough go. Maybe I can change his life a bit by providing a positive/educated influence that could steer him in the right direction. I'm incredibly motivated by that idea.
You could be like a counselor for a camping group or Boy Scouts or whatever.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

And the crazy part is your laptop is probably already outdated in terms of bleeding edge tech shit.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
:dat:

Not having a real computer is for dumbasses who spend their free time on tiktok and tinder.
I haven't really needed one :doe: