OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm The Olympics weren't cancelled this year?
They were pushed back from last year. No fans allowed, they got locked down and basically only allowing athletes and coaches this year.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm The Olympics weren't cancelled this year?
They were pushed back from last year. No fans allowed, they got locked down and basically only allowing athletes and coaches this year.
Interesting...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

They cancelled 2020 then moved them into 2021 when vast majority of Japanese aren't vaxxed. So no reason for the move other than politics... Also russia was canned for political reasons and yet their athletes are still competing.

Just overall :disgust: thing.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 pm People drive that fast here too but there are unpredictable speed traps all over, both on the interstate and surface streets. If you drive the speed of traffic here, you will eventually get tickets. It's fucking stupid.
Lame. It seems like it was a free for all (I never got ticketed, nor my friends) when I was there, but that was a different part of the state and it's been almost 10 years since I left.
East coast of Florida is still a free for all.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:13 pm Great news, it's only three demerit points and $615, :carlton: , :rolleyes:

Oh. And possibly three day license suspension. That one is a little hat tip to the insurance agencies. Cheers.
Dude :wtf: that's insane. The laws over there are incredibly strict. That's like almost DUI status here for fucking checking directions on the phone.
It's bad man. Legit puts me in a predicament, and not warranted IMO
max225

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Dude :wtf: that's insane. The laws over there are incredibly strict. That's like almost DUI status here for fucking checking directions on the phone.
I agree. Fuck on insurance and $$$ for such a minor violation. Can you LIAR up?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:18 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:17 pm

I don’t see a valid argument, there are only two exceptions from what i read, calling emergency services (911), and when pulled over safely off the road and in park. Stop lights don't count. They are on a rampage with this movement and people are getting crimped.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:18 pm

I don’t see a valid argument, there are only two exceptions from what i read, calling emergency services (911), and when pulled over safely off the road and in park. Stop lights don't count. They are on a rampage with this movement and people are getting crimped.
How does the traffic court system work there? Can you go represent yourself and just explain the situation? I think they’d appreciate a guy coming in and just honestly admitting a mistake if you have the ability to versus hiring a lawyer where they might just increase the fees because they think you’re being stubborn
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So I've had an Annoyatron for years here in my office. Used it a few places I've worked. Pull it out with a fresh battery every few years when a new wave of people come in that don't suspect anything. I think it was about $15, and all it is is a a little chip board with a speaker and a magnet. Turn it on and it'll beep once every 2 - 10 minutes, completely random so you can't pin it down and anticipate the beep to figure it out. The magnet helps you hide stick it in unsuspecting places. It's got 3 settings, Beep, chirp, and both. Beep is a loud beep, chirp is like a cricket BZZZZZZZZT that's REALLY loud.

Yesterday, I placed it in the conference room under one of the chairs where one of our interns is working.
I've gotten these Microsoft Teams messages from the only other senior guy that I've told.

At previous places I've worked, I had one head engineer roid raging and calling IT raising hell. He turned off everything in his office and unplugged every single thing... Waited, it beeped and we could hear him pounding his desk *BOOM BOOM BOOM* in fury as he picked up the phone to call the innocent little asian dude Lam Tran to come to his office to help him figure it out.
Last edited by Acid666 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:28 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:21 pm

:nevermind:

We've been glued to it since the opening ceremonies. We love it, winter and summer. We've even visited a few past Olympic Villages/sites:

Munich
Montreal
Lake Placid
Salt Lake
Athens
Lillehammer
Barcelona

And the Olympic Museum in Lausanne is :amaze:
I have heard similar to what Max said, that it is very politics filled :notsure:

I have been to the Montreal site, creepy as hell :lolol:
:iono: I just like watching athletes from all over the world compete together.

And yea, the Montreal site is a bit...forlorn, but what they did with the velodrome is pretty :neat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Biodome
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:32 pm
There are now a limited number of spectators allowed in now, but still very few.
wap

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm
They cancelled 2020 then moved them into 2021 when vast majority of Japanese aren't vaxxed. So no reason for the move other than politics... Also russia was canned for political reasons and yet their athletes are still competing.

:really:
It was because they were caught doping at Sochi. Gov. sanctioned too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:28 pm

I have heard similar to what Max said, that it is very politics filled :notsure:

I have been to the Montreal site, creepy as hell :lolol:

:word: It is indeed a neat concept, I guess when the rubber meets the road, my :aintcare: for sports/sportsball comes out and I just don't really get into it.
wap

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:44 pm So I've had an Annoyatron for years here in my office. Used it a few places I've worked. Pull it out with a fresh battery every few years when a new wave of people come in that don't suspect anything. I think it was about $15, and all it is is a a little chip board with a speaker and a magnet. Turn it on and it'll beep once every 2 - 10 minutes, completely random so you can't pin it down and anticipate the beep to figure it out. The magnet helps you hide stick it in unsuspecting places. It's got 3 settings, Beep, chirp, and both. Beep is a loud beep, chirp is like a cricket BZZZZZZZZT that's REALLY loud.

Yesterday, I placed it in the conference room under one of the chairs where one of our interns is working.
I've gotten these Microsoft Teams messages from the only other senior guy that I've told.

At previous places I've worked, I had one head engineer roid raging and calling IT raising hell. He turned off everything in his office and unplugged every single thing... Waited, it beeped and we could hear him pounding his desk *BOOM BOOM BOOM* in fury as he picked up the whole to call the innocent little asian dude Lam Tran to come to his office to help him figure it out.
:amaze: :lolol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:44 pm So I've had an Annoyatron for years here in my office. Used it a few places I've worked. Pull it out with a fresh battery every few years when a new wave of people come in that don't suspect anything. I think it was about $15, and all it is is a a little chip board with a speaker and a magnet. Turn it on and it'll beep once every 2 - 10 minutes, completely random so you can't pin it down and anticipate the beep to figure it out. The magnet helps you hide stick it in unsuspecting places. It's got 3 settings, Beep, chirp, and both. Beep is a loud beep, chirp is like a cricket BZZZZZZZZT that's REALLY loud.

At previous places I've worked, I had one head engineer roid raging and calling IT raising hell. He turned off everything in his office and unplugged every single thing... Waited, it beeped and we could hear him pounding his desk *BOOM BOOM BOOM* in fury as he picked up the whole to call the innocent little asian dude Lam Tran to come to his office to help him figure it out.
:amazing:
wap

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:51 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 pm

:word: It is indeed a neat concept, I guess when the rubber meets the road, my :aintcare: for sports/sportsball comes out and I just don't really get into it.
Yeah, I get that.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm

:really:
:yeahok: every gov is doing the same. Humans didn’t get better at running over the last 40 years … something else did …
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
wap wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:50 pm :really:
:yeahok: every gov is doing the same. Humans didn’t get better at running over the last 40 years … something else did …
Humans did get better at diet and training, which is making them faster.
ChrisoftheNorth

Had to buy a windows laptop today for interviews on Microsoft Teams. Last computer I bought was a $180 chromebook a few years ago. Works great for internet browsing, though small. Before that was 10 years ago, my MBP that still works fine, but has been abandoned by both Apple and Microsoft due to age making it a paperweight.

Got a Lenovo Ideapad 5 from Costco. $800 and it's got 12GB of ram (which is :mindblown: to me, my MBP has 4 and that was insane at the time), 500gb SSD, big ass screen, overall ok. I've never been so uninterested in a purchase. BUT, if I attempt an interview and the chromebook shits out on me, seems like an instant pass. "Sorry, I'm too cheap to buy a windows laptop and my $180 chromebook can't handle teams".

I may return it after I get a job :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 pm
max225 wrote:
:dat: New food technology and progression in training, plus probably some evolution have all made athletes better than ever. Sure, there are those using drugs, but even those who aren't are still at a higher level than decades ago.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My give a fuck is BUUUUSSSTED.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:39 pm Had to buy a windows laptop today for interviews on Microsoft Teams. Last computer I bought was a $180 chromebook a few years ago. Works great for internet browsing, though small. Before that was 10 years ago, my MBP that still works fine, but has been abandoned by both Apple and Microsoft due to age making it a paperweight.

Got a Lenovo Ideapad 5 from Costco. $800 and it's got 12GB of ram (which is :mindblown: to me, my MBP has 4 and that was insane at the time), 500gb SSD, big ass screen, overall ok. I've never been so uninterested in a purchase. BUT, if I attempt an interview and the chromebook shits out on me, seems like an instant pass. "Sorry, I'm too cheap to buy a windows laptop and my $180 chromebook can't handle teams".

I guess I sort of take that for granted, I do them all on my company provided PC :lolol:

You can do Teams on iPhone, if you put it on a stand or something, it would probably work fine.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 pm
max225 wrote:
:dat:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:39 pm Had to buy a windows laptop today for interviews on Microsoft Teams. Last computer I bought was a $180 chromebook a few years ago. Works great for internet browsing, though small. Before that was 10 years ago, my MBP that still works fine, but has been abandoned by both Apple and Microsoft due to age making it a paperweight.

I thought you were almost back at GM?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:56 pm

I guess I sort of take that for granted, I do them all on my company provided PC :lolol:

You can do Teams on iPhone, if you put it on a stand or something, it would probably work fine.
Yea, I'd never use a work computer for other company job interviews. But I don't have a work computer now anyway.

I need to make a presentation from a case study and present it on Thursday using Teams. I couldn't figure out how to do it reliably with something other than a decent windows machine.

I used my Chromebook for a zoom interview last week, and the camera looked like ass and I think I was hard to hear. Since all interviews are remote, I probably should have a solid computer to facilitate.

Costco has a 90 day return policy on computers, so I'll probably return it once I sign an offer. This is the first time I've needed a computer.