OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:52 am

I'm not either, but so many people are, it is certainly innate in many humans.

I'm over here wanting to give back my stupid raise and give up managing two people at work :lolol:
I've said this here before, but for me, being a very good Indian is more important, and a better fit for me, than being a Chief. We have more than enough chiefs here anyway.
I don't even want to be an Indian. I want to be a nomad, left alone to float around and do my own thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:09 am

I've said this here before, but for me, being a very good Indian is more important, and a better fit for me, than being a Chief. We have more than enough chiefs here anyway.
I don't even want to be an Indian. I want to be a nomad, left alone to float around and do my own thing.
GypsyPlac. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:11 am
GypsyPlac. :lol:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Hi guise
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:51 am

It's really just the human competitive nature. It's like anything... there's always just one more step you can take to get that slight competitive edge. With each passing competition, everyone seeks out that next "hit" of the new edge they can get, and it snowballs into "too much". Look at auto racing, it basically comes down to who has the most money and who has the most creative ways to "cheat" without getting caught or bend the rules just so.

If you created a "sustainable" version of body building, people would simply keep adding a tiny bit more and more to what is accepted until it was back to the drugs and whatnot.

I don't really get the body building thing personally but I find :sawce: 's dedication and physique truly amazing and respect it. We all love things that are dangerous whether it's drinking booze, over eating, racing cars/motorcycles, mountain biking or other adventure sports, body building, you name it. It's just how we're made.
Yea, this is all true. But this is why I've never really gotten into competing at all. For me, this level of dedication reduces the fun, and if something isn't fun, I don't want to do it.
Yeah man, I'm with you. I think I was honestly getting to bent about the numbers in cycling. It is definitely a lot of fun to take a top 10 or number one finish on a segment and I still try for it when I can, but I don't think I'll be adding a power meter or anything like that. It's just great to get out and enjoy
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Same. I had that gig and gave it up :disappoint:

Sales is the closest you can get to that while working for the man. Managing other nomads is... not fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 am
Yea, this is all true. But this is why I've never really gotten into competing at all. For me, this level of dedication reduces the fun, and if something isn't fun, I don't want to do it.
Yeah man, I'm with you. I think I was honestly getting to bent about the numbers in cycling. It is definitely a lot of fun to take a top 10 or number one finish on a segment and I still try for it when I can, but I don't think I'll be adding a power meter or anything like that. It's just great to get out and enjoy
I only turn on Strava to keep track of miles. I don't care about the rest.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:20 am Hi guise
:howdy:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:38 am
Same. I had that gig and gave it up :disappoint:

Sales is the closest you can get to that while working for the man. Managing other nomads is... not fun.
I have no interest in managing people, I just want to manage things, which I can do anywhere. That's my goal.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:59 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:45 am

Me too dude. The iPhone selfie camera doesn’t even capture it quite all the way. It’s pretty gnarly looking in person.
No offense, but I find it pretty crazy what you have to put yourself through to be competitive in these shows. If it's not sustainable or especially not healthy, what's the point overall? I'd be more interested in watching sustainably healthy people compete, instead this almost just becomes a battle of wills.

I find it fascinating because of all incredibly hard work you put in for years building up the physique, then forcing yourself gaunt to be competitive just seems silly. I know that's the game, but the game just seems a bit :notsure: That sucks big time because you absolutely deserve accolades for all the hard work you put in, not your ability to starve yourself. Maybe that's the point? How bad you want it?

Just be healthy, man.
I get where you’re coming from for sure. What I meant by not sustainable is this very very lean look for the show. I could sit a just a few % body fat higher and that would be easily sustainable, and blow 99% of the population out of the water in looks.

The extreme look for the shows is only held for a few days to minimize the health impacts, and it’s needed to really show what your actual shape and muscularity level is. Even a small layer of fat makes it hard to compare two physiques accurately on stage. How far you’re willing to suffer is also part of what you’re judged on.

We do things in a way to minimize muscle loss while we’re dieting for the shows, so it’s not necessarily undoing all the hard work we put in to build the muscles.

I agreed with Michelle, since she isn’t a fan of it, that if I don’t win this show it will be my last one. If I do win, I’ll qualify to compete at the national level, and she agreed that she’d be okay with me doing that just to see how I do in a larger competition.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:51 am
No offense, but I find it pretty crazy what you have to put yourself through to be competitive in these shows. If it's not sustainable or especially not healthy, what's the point overall? I'd be more interested in watching sustainably healthy people compete, instead this almost just becomes a battle of wills.

I find it fascinating because of all incredibly hard work you put in for years building up the physique, then forcing yourself gaunt to be competitive just seems silly. I know that's the game, but the game just seems a bit :notsure: That sucks big time because you absolutely deserve accolades for all the hard work you put in, not your ability to starve yourself. Maybe that's the point? How bad you want it?

Just be healthy, man.
It's really just the human competitive nature. It's like anything... there's always just one more step you can take to get that slight competitive edge. With each passing competition, everyone seeks out that next "hit" of the new edge they can get, and it snowballs into "too much". Look at auto racing, it basically comes down to who has the most money and who has the most creative ways to "cheat" without getting caught or bend the rules just so.

If you created a "sustainable" version of body building, people would simply keep adding a tiny bit more and more to what is accepted until it was back to the drugs and whatnot.

I don't really get the body building thing personally but I find :sawce: 's dedication and physique truly amazing and respect it. We all love things that are dangerous whether it's drinking booze, over eating, racing cars/motorcycles, mountain biking or other adventure sports, body building, you name it. It's just how we're made.
:wub:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 am

Just be healthy, man.
I get where you’re coming from for sure. What I meant by not sustainable is this very very lean look for the show. I could sit a just a few % body fat higher and that would be easily sustainable, and blow 99% of the population out of the water in looks.

The extreme look for the shows is only held for a few days to minimize the health impacts, and it’s needed to really show what your actual shape and muscularity level is. Even a small layer of fat makes it hard to compare two physiques accurately on stage. How far you’re willing to suffer is also part of what you’re judged on.

We do things in a way to minimize muscle loss while we’re dieting for the shows, so it’s not necessarily undoing all the hard work we put in to build the muscles.

I agreed with Michelle, since she isn’t a fan of it, that if I don’t win this show it will be my last one. If I do win, I’ll qualify to compete at the national level, and she agreed that she’d be okay with me doing that just to see how I do in a larger competition.
Right, so dropping fat helps accentuate the hard work you did with physique. I get that, just an interesting competitive thing I guess...you're weakening yourself (overall health) to appear stronger. I'm more fascinated than critical, I never really thought about any of this.

I hope you do well, you deserve it dude.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:20 am Hi guise
Hows Freeedomm?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:47 am

Right, so dropping fat helps accentuate the hard work you did with physique. I get that, just an interesting competitive thing I guess...you're weakening yourself (overall health) to appear stronger. I'm more fascinated than critical, I never really thought about any of this.

I hope you do well, you deserve it dude.
Thanks dude!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 am

Hows Freeedomm?
US is pretty much back to 2019 spec but everything costs 50% more if you're lucky enough to get it.

I'm leaving for Hawaii tomorrow, pretty stoked to dump work for a week and a half.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Hows Freeedomm?
US is pretty much back to 2019 spec but everything costs 50% more if you're lucky enough to get it.

I'm leaving for Hawaii tomorrow, pretty stoked to dump work for a week and a half.
Don't know if you answered my Qs... What are you doing out there? DEETS PLZ. :hibachi:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm

Don't know if you answered my Qs... What are you doing out there? DEETS PLZ. :hibachi:
I answered the car questions earlier. We're going to Oahu and Kauai, basically just hiking, beaching, exploring, etc. I'll post pics.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:28 pm

I answered the car questions earlier. We're going to Oahu and Kauai, basically just hiking, beaching, exploring, etc. I'll post pics.
:nice: I need to :derp: less and go back and find the answers.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:08 pm

Did you have issues getting car rentals? Which island ?

I was surprised how full of tourists hawaii was at the end of feb (when we went). Now that everyone is "vaxxed and ready to party" it will get even more interesting...
I mean, if by "trouble" you mean it was a ton of money, then yeah. We are going to Oahu for a couple of days and then five days on Kauai. Kauai the rentals were like base price of $1500 for five days in a Mirage. I managed to find a Prius on Turo for $600, which was the cheapest car on the island by more than half. I've never actually driven a Prius so I'm sort of pumped weirdly, it'll be interesting to see what they're about. I picked up an FR-S for Oahu for a reasonable amount, like ~$75/day.

We previously visited the Big Island and Maui, so it should be :neat: to experience these two, but I assume it will be crowded. Everyone is all in on travel right now, us included.
Totally missed this. This is pretty cool. Kauai just recently opened up. Do you still need to show them Negative covid tests before boarding etc? FR-S is pretty fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm

I mean, if by "trouble" you mean it was a ton of money, then yeah. We are going to Oahu for a couple of days and then five days on Kauai. Kauai the rentals were like base price of $1500 for five days in a Mirage. I managed to find a Prius on Turo for $600, which was the cheapest car on the island by more than half. I've never actually driven a Prius so I'm sort of pumped weirdly, it'll be interesting to see what they're about. I picked up an FR-S for Oahu for a reasonable amount, like ~$75/day.

We previously visited the Big Island and Maui, so it should be :neat: to experience these two, but I assume it will be crowded. Everyone is all in on travel right now, us included.
Totally missed this. This is pretty cool. Kauai just recently opened up. Do you still need to show them Negative covid tests before boarding etc? FR-S is pretty fun.
Yessir, got my test last night. I think we need to get another one to go from Oahu to Kauai which is meh.

Have you been to Kauai? You seem to be the resident HI expert around here.

Our last trip we went to the Big Island and Maui, both were awesome. We always debate over returning somewhere we know is great but typically land on a new experience, hence two of the other islands this time.
SAWCE

max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:29 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Yessir, got my test last night. I think we need to get another one to go from Oahu to Kauai which is meh.

Our last trip we went to the Big Island and Maui, both were awesome. We always debate over returning somewhere we know is great but typically land on a new experience, hence two of the other islands this time.
I haven't gone to Kauai, it is the only island missing from my list. My fav is still Maui but they are all great with their own unique flavors depending on what you want to do.

I am really curious what Oahu is like, it is the biggest hit and miss for me when it comes to the Islands.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm

I haven't gone to Kauai, it is the only island missing from my list. My fav is still Maui but they are all great with their own unique flavors depending on what you want to do.

I am really curious what Oahu is like, it is the biggest hit and miss for me when it comes to the Islands.
Yeah, I've only been to the airport, so we'll see... We are only spending a couple of days there, it seems there is a ton to see so it should be fun, but I assume quite crowded.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Clan Funsponge is down with meatups for Scotch on the Rocks, but otherwise leave us the fuck alone.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm

Have you been to Lanai?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.