OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

rockchops wrote:Pretty sure most indoor things will survive humidity for a couple days. I lived without AC for 20 years and we had plenty of heat waves and constant summer humidity. It doesnt have a reputation for it (because periodic) but around here we get tons of high temp high humid periods in the summer. You will be uncomfortable but ffs your house and belongings are not going to be ruined with 2-3 days of humidity lol
No one ever said that, but I'm glad that you've got such a huge dick, bro. Good for you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 pm My neighbor is in his 50s and hits our local mtb park at least 3x a week. Dude is pretty badass, no idea how he rides or whatever but he has a nice canondale.
There are a lot of old timers that are pretty dang good riders in both mountain and road disciplines around here. I've done 80+ mile rides with men and women in their 60s. I've also seen guys hit trails for 25+ miles in a morning, which is a lot on trails.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm
troyguitar wrote:Try running AC in FL summer.
Yeah it sucks. I guess it is worth whatever price tag you put on whole house comfort. Our generator has saved our basement a couple times and kept our phones (and a nintendo switch) charged in 90+ degree, 95+% humidity a couple times. Swapped for the freezer plug here and there and all good, saved the food. 48hrs later power comes back on and its like nothing ever happened. I bet it could power a window AC unit, which is prob like 8-10 amps? easily. Is constant luxury worth a 10k gen unit that gets used once every 2 years? Not to me.
Yeah I am with you on this one... Hell, I have had the AC off multiple times this year already on 90F days. Get some fans sucking in cool air over night and then close windows/curtains during the day.

Sure, AC is :nice: but living a few days without it is NBD to me.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:24 pm
rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm Yeah it sucks. I guess it is worth whatever price tag you put on whole house comfort. Our generator has saved our basement a couple times and kept our phones (and a nintendo switch) charged in 90+ degree, 95+% humidity a couple times. Swapped for the freezer plug here and there and all good, saved the food. 48hrs later power comes back on and its like nothing ever happened. I bet it could power a window AC unit, which is prob like 8-10 amps? easily. Is constant luxury worth a 10k gen unit that gets used once every 2 years? Not to me.
Yeah I am with you on this one... Hell, I have had the AC off multiple times this year already on 90F days. Get some fans sucking in cool air over night and then close windows/curtains during the day.

Kind of how we do it here. But after a while the house doesn't cool off over night. The temp differential really needs to be there and nights need to be sub 65, otherwise the house turns into a swamp the next day from 5-10pm
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:24 pm

Kind of how we do it here. But after a while the house doesn't cool off over night. The temp differential really needs to be there and nights need to be sub 65, otherwise the house turns into a swamp the next day from 5-10pm
:notwrong: it is much swampier here than where you live and even swampier in FL... that said, I still can't see dropping $10K to be cool and comfy an extra five days every five years.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 pm Yeah it sucks. I guess it is worth whatever price tag you put on whole house comfort. Our generator has saved our basement a couple times and kept our phones (and a nintendo switch) charged in 90+ degree, 95+% humidity a couple times. Swapped for the freezer plug here and there and all good, saved the food. 48hrs later power comes back on and its like nothing ever happened. I bet it could power a window AC unit, which is prob like 8-10 amps? easily. Is constant luxury worth a 10k gen unit that gets used once every 2 years? Not to me.

Different story in the storm season here. It doesn't get cool over night. High 90, low 80 is typical. We already have lows in the high 70s now.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:32 pm
D Griff wrote:

Different story in the storm season here. It doesn't get cool over night. High 90, low 80 is typical. We already have lows in the high 70s now.
Yea that's AC 24/7 life. Is your power expensive?
I really hate sleeping above 75F+
troyguitar

(I'm not complaining, the fact that our mornings and nights are warm and I can sit outside is one of my favorite things about living here. It's awesome.)
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:32 pm Different story in the storm season here. It doesn't get cool over night. High 90, low 80 is typical. We already have lows in the high 70s now.
I don't know the rates here TBH, haven't looked into it at all yet. I also can't sleep in heat, we crank it down to 66-70 at night.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:41 pm
max225 wrote:
I don't know the rates here TBH, haven't looked into it at all yet. I also can't sleep in heat, we crank it down to 66-70 at night.
Sub 70F is lux.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:41 pm
max225 wrote:
:troywax:

And I thought I was :waxer: sleeping at 72. :lol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

There's a Taco Bell .3mi from work. I can't wait to treat myself tomorrow.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

We only have the downstairs zone on for AC. At night the circulation fan for the upstairs is enough for now. Our electric bill was less than $100 for April which to me is mind blowing because back in NY with two window units running only at night was between $200-300/mo. We'll see how May is soon I'm sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm We only have the downstairs zone on for AC. At night the circulation fan for the upstairs is enough for now. Our electric bill was less than $100 for April which to me is mind blowing because back in NY with two window units running only at night was between $200-300/mo. We'll see how May is soon I'm sure.
Yeah my shit is like $50-90/month year round, highest in summer. It's interesting because Duke always says I am at a fraction of everyone else's cost, I think most people are just full on :derp: about it, like turning on heat in the AM in the summer because they're cold, then switching to AC at 10 AM :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:17 pm
rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 pm My neighbor is in his 50s and hits our local mtb park at least 3x a week. Dude is pretty badass, no idea how he rides or whatever but he has a nice canondale.
There are a lot of old timers that are pretty dang good riders in both mountain and road disciplines around here. I've done 80+ mile rides with men and women in their 60s. I've also seen guys hit trails for 25+ miles in a morning, which is a lot on trails.
My dad is 68, and MTBs like a beast, all over the country and goes balls out. He hasn't hurt himself too bad so far, worst was a broken ankle 5ish years ago. Didn't slow him down at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:41 pm I don't know the rates here TBH, haven't looked into it at all yet. I also can't sleep in heat, we crank it down to 66-70 at night.
:troywax:

And I thought I was :waxer: sleeping at 72. Image
I already don't sleep well. When it's that hot I don't sleep at all. I've never had a good night's sleep.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:
rockchops wrote:Pretty sure most indoor things will survive humidity for a couple days. I lived without AC for 20 years and we had plenty of heat waves and constant summer humidity. It doesnt have a reputation for it (because periodic) but around here we get tons of high temp high humid periods in the summer. You will be uncomfortable but ffs your house and belongings are not going to be ruined with 2-3 days of humidity lol
No one ever said that, but I'm glad that you've got such a huge dick, bro. Good for you.

It wasn't a flex. I wouldnt want to live in FL without full time AC either. But a generator in the off occasion that you lose power for the AC unit? You do you...cant tell you how to spend money but seems like a waste to me. A couple sweaty hours or worst case scenario days seems like lot to drop thousands on.

But if you got the money, why not? I am :scrooge: with shit like that. My little 1500W is great in emergencies if that is the concern. Might need to use it today with the storms brewing.

max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:06 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm We only have the downstairs zone on for AC. At night the circulation fan for the upstairs is enough for now. Our electric bill was less than $100 for April which to me is mind blowing because back in NY with two window units running only at night was between $200-300/mo. We'll see how May is soon I'm sure.
Yeah my shit is like $50-90/month year round, highest in summer. It's interesting because Duke always says I am at a fraction of everyone else's cost, I think most people are just full on :derp: about it, like turning on heat in the AM in the summer because they're cold, then switching to AC at 10 AM :iono:
Yea I don’t think the actual $ value of an e bill matters because of the regional and local variances. The KW is far more fascinating.

My buddy who is at 68 at night and 72 during the day year around in his 800sq foot house. Because reasons…

His usage is 800-1200kwh per month. Highest in winter because he heats with dysons.

We’re at 275-330 a month for 8 months and for when we get to 100 in the summer months it raises to 400-450. Also our house is 1900sq feet, and we’ve been home 24/7 since the beginning of the plandemic. Which obviously drives usage up. 2x the house size … same # of people and 1/2 the usage.

:mindblown:
troyguitar

I just looked up our usage last year in NY.

We used 900-1200 kWh/month for June through September in an 1100 sq ft townhouse with only a window AC unit upstairs and a dehumidifier downstairs.

The rest of the year was 300ish with gas heat running.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Yea I don’t think the actual $ value of an e bill matters because of the regional and local variances. The KW is far more fascinating.

My buddy who is at 68 at night and 72 during the day year around in his 800sq foot house. Because reasons…

His usage is 800-1200kwh per month. Highest in winter because he heats with dysons.

We’re at 275-330 a month for 8 months and for when we get to 100 in the summer months it raises to 400-450. Also our house is 1900sq feet, and we’ve been home 24/7 since the beginning of the plandemic. Which obviously drives usage up. 2x the house size … same # of people and 1/2 the usage.

:mindblown:
Wow, I just looked at mine out of curiosity. Yours seems quite efficient, I really try to not waste, but ours is quite a bit higher in an 1100 sq. ft. house:

Usage Details
Bill Date
Billing Days
Billed Usage
Avg. Billed Usage
05/20/2021
382 kWh
13.17 kWh/Day
04/21/2021
442 kWh
13.00 kWh/Day
03/19/2021
682 kWh
23.00 kWh/Day
02/17/2021
991 kWh
35.00 kWh/Day
01/20/2021
716 kWh
21.00 kWh/Day
12/17/2020
725 kWh
24.00 kWh/Day
11/17/2020
440 kWh
14.00 kWh/Day
10/16/2020
368 kWh
13.00 kWh/Day
09/17/2020
586 kWh
20.00 kWh/Day
08/18/2020
709 kWh
22.00 kWh/Day
07/17/2020
571 kWh
18.00 kWh/Day
06/16/2020
539 kWh
17.00 kWh/Day
05/18/2020
409 kWh
14.00 kWh/Day
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Ours appears to be worst in the winter... this house is 100% electric so this includes heat/cooling/hot water/cooking... It appears hot water is our biggest usage in many of the months, maybe our heater is :poop:
troyguitar

rockchops wrote:
troyguitar wrote:No one ever said that, but I'm glad that you've got such a huge dick, bro. Good for you.

It wasn't a flex. I wouldnt want to live in FL without full time AC either. But a generator in the off occasion that you lose power for the AC unit? You do you...cant tell you how to spend money but seems like a waste to me. A couple sweaty hours or worst case scenario days seems like lot to drop thousands on.

But if you got the money, why not? I am :scrooge: with shit like that. My little 1500W is great in emergencies if that is the concern. Might need to use it today with the storms brewing.
I ideally don't want a generator at all. We don't have gas at the house (yet) anyway.

We need a roof soon-ish and we in theory want solar with a battery backup option at that time. In part for convenience during storms, in part for :derp: treehugger good feelings, in part for clean consistent power. I don't know if we will do any of it, I have no idea what anything costs yet nor what our usage looks like nor how frequent/long service interruptions are... I want to fucking do the homework. Why is that such a dumb thing?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:
rockchops wrote:

I ideally don't want a generator at all. We don't have gas at the house (yet) anyway.

We need a roof soon-ish and we in theory want solar with a battery backup option at that time. In part for convenience during storms, in part for :derp: treehugger good feelings, in part for clean consistent power. I don't know if we will do any of it, I have no idea what anything costs yet nor what our usage looks like nor how frequent/long service interruptions are... I want to fucking do the homework. Why is that such a dumb thing?
Not sure why so defensive. Do your homework, thats a good thing. If I say im thinking of trading my jeep for a unimog or soemthing I expect people to tell me that is a silly idea.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

rockchops wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:25 pm
troyguitar wrote:I ideally don't want a generator at all. We don't have gas at the house (yet) anyway.

Not sure why so defensive. Do your homework, thats a good thing. If I say im thinking of trading my jeep for a unimog or soemthing I expect people to tell me that is a silly idea.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Happy Friday; ya filthy animals!