OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:24 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Rudy is the only one who is somewhat "young" still but that is fading every day.
Funny you mention that. I don’t even “use” Instagram or most social media nowadays as a user. I just repost interesting things or share to my stories. But I don’t use it as a creator. I used to be heavy into it like 2013-16 but dropped using it heavily after. A bunch of my friends have talked about how much we actually don’t use social media much anymore.
:wap:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Melon wrote:I've had a lot of feels the past few month too. All inside my head. From feeling like a failure to no one wanting me around.

I thought it was seasonal as well, started taking vitamin D, but my ass hurts so much now.

Exercise, and positive thinking has been doing me well.
Taking the D definitely requires some practice.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: The problem with the internet (life in general, but it's more in your face online) is that people rarely broadcast problems, just successes. So all you see are other people killing it and you assume that everyone is killing it 100% of the time except for you. Which isn't even remotely the case ever, but it's how our brains interpret what they're presented with.
I do wonder how much of my supposed "extreme" negativity is due to me actually being that negative vs my simply sharing my experiences without trying to paint a rosy picture of my life on the interwebs...

I have times when I feel like I'm the best and I've got life solved and times when I feel like I'm a total loser. I share things when I feel strongly, not when I think it will best promote my brand.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Honestly, having been in AA has really helped me realize when I'm feeling down/bad things need to change, course correction needs to be made.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:30 pm
Melon wrote:I've had a lot of feels the past few month too. All inside my head. From feeling like a failure to no one wanting me around.

I thought it was seasonal as well, started taking vitamin D, but my ass hurts so much now.

Exercise, and positive thinking has been doing me well.
Taking the D definitely requires some practice.
:hubba:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm
Detroit wrote: The problem with the internet (life in general, but it's more in your face online) is that people rarely broadcast problems, just successes. So all you see are other people killing it and you assume that everyone is killing it 100% of the time except for you. Which isn't even remotely the case ever, but it's how our brains interpret what they're presented with.
I do wonder how much of my supposed "extreme" negativity is due to me actually being that negative vs my simply sharing my experiences without trying to paint a rosy picture of my life on the interwebs...

I have times when I feel like I'm the best and I've got life solved and times when I feel like I'm a total loser. I share things when I feel strongly, not when I think it will best promote my brand.
You should post more of that.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm I do wonder how much of my supposed "extreme" negativity is due to me actually being that negative vs my simply sharing my experiences without trying to paint a rosy picture of my life on the interwebs...

You should post more of that.
I have been more often recently. I'm playing my first paid guitar gig this weekend and live here now:

(but I don't make millions or act like it's perfect, so maybe I'm doing it wrong?) ImageImage
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

:jeep: dropped off for repairs. Will be interesting seeing what they come up with for an estimate vs the $486 that her insurance company had based on the pics I submitted.

Gave them the part number for the steel bumper I want to throw on, so curios what that cost differential will be for that vs the normal Willy’s bumper.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hells ya :mahtroy:
That looks like a lovely ride.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm I have times when I feel like I'm the best and I've got life solved
When I feel the nut I can't see threading onto the bolt.
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm times when I feel like I'm a total loser.
When I drop the socket wrench on my face trying to tighten said nut.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:42 pm :jeep: dropped off for repairs. Will be interesting seeing what they come up with for an estimate vs the $486 that her insurance company had based on the pics I submitted.

Gave them the part number for the steel bumper I want to throw on, so curios what that cost differential will be for that vs the normal Willy’s bumper.
Fingers crossed!
SAWCE

Melon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm I have times when I feel like I'm the best and I've got life solved
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:34 pm times when I feel like I'm a total loser.
:lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:09 pm
wap wrote: You should post more of that.
I have been more often recently. I'm playing my first paid guitar gig this weekend and live here now:

(but I don't make millions or act like it's perfect, so maybe I'm doing it wrong?) ImageImage
:fuckyeah: , you look like a million bucks :doe:

Congrats on all fronts!
SAWCE

2021 Sentra. Seems nice.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm Howdy Hosers! Hope all is well, fam. I'm still in my funk so I'm not posting much until I'm normal in the head again. The sunny weather is helping, and we've got the pool open which is 5/7! Battled with algae (bastard, that little plant is), but I think I won.... hopefully.

How's everyone doing? What's new in the land of the free, home of the brave?
Wow.... guess you have a heater?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Irish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm Howdy Hosers! Hope all is well, fam. I'm still in my funk so I'm not posting much until I'm normal in the head again. The sunny weather is helping, and we've got the pool open which is 5/7! Battled with algae (bastard, that little plant is), but I think I won.... hopefully.

How's everyone doing? What's new in the land of the free, home of the brave?
Wow.... guess you have a heater?
Yeah, the previous owner replaced his solar blanket thingy for a gas heater with a digital temp/settings control interface. Open the gas valve, press ON, and set desired temp. It's a 5/7 heater and has no trouble getting the water to whatever temp in 2 or 3 days.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:09 pm
wap wrote: You should post more of that.

I saw the posts. :megusta:
They are definitely more :fuckyeah: than your.....usual ones. Let's hope they become your new normal. :like:
wap

Melon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm
:lolol:
Well done.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:47 pm 2021 Sentra. Seems nice.
:idbu:
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
OMG been there so many times.

Gotta love it when you get a load of rust in your eyes from an impact above your face... :thisisfine:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I didn't need my eyes, and I love grit in my mouth, it's the best.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:17 pm Just gave my old gas POS Bolens lawnmower to some dude from FB marketplace. He was probably 25ish and said he was :scrooge: /handy and just wanted the free thing, evidently lawnmower flipping is now a big thing now so he was having trouble scooping anything up for cheap. It was cool that he was stoked on it and going to keep it going for another season or more.

I am glad to have it gone and love the electric life so far.
:nice:

I too have a FB Marketplace lawnmower story..... just a short one....

So at the end of last summer my 11 year old TroyBilt riding mower (that I paid $300, 4-5 years ago) grenaded while I was running the last of the gas out of it.

About a month ago I put it up on FBM.... I was going to just list it for free so that I didn't have to find a junkyard to take it... but I decided to throw a number of $75 on it.

I was overwhelmed with responses.

Most of them were :derp: that didn't read the ad ... "Does it run?", "What's wrong with it?" DUH.... READ THE DAMN copy....

Anyway, a dude and his brother were interested, offered full price and said they'd be over same day.... So they show up with this rinky-dink, homemade trailer and were such nice guys I threw in my 1984 vintage Craftsman that I had always planned on fixing. They truly they don't make 'em like this anymore :wap: .

I was impressed with how they got both of these machines on a a trailer that was 3 feet too short using the ramps as a lever.

I had pangs of seller remorse (especially about the Craftsman) but I was happy to gain back shed space and to pocket a few bucks into the bargain.

About a week goes by and I I get a message on FB. It's the one brother and he says he replaced the motor, got it running and I can have the mower back for $125. I asked him if he was sure that was enough and he assured me that it was.

So, I re registered my trailer that had been sitting for 3 years, Hooked it up to the T-Reg (had to go buy an electrical adapter for the lights) and went over to the guys place.

The mower turned over but wouldn't start so I left empty handed. Figures.... if its too good to be true, and all that....

A day later they guy hits me up again, embarrassed, he says that he forgot the the "new" motor had a fuel shut off valve. Once he turned it it fired right up. You might think :yeahok: but the guy is disabled (Cerebral palsy and maybe some other stuff) and I really did not get a "scammer" vibe from him in the least. So, we set up another time for me to go look at it. I did notice a small fuel leak from under the carb but I decided that I could likely fix that.

I turn the key, It fires right up, everything works so I give him the $125 and bring it home.

Upon arrival, I start it up and happily mow my 0.4 acre. I'm thrilled. I put it away with a pan under the carb and the fuel valve closed. Next day there is about an ounce of gas in there which is likley just wahat was in the line. I am okay with losing an ounce of fuel after each mow but I will likely spend some time trying to fix at some point.

About a week later I go out and mow again, everything works fine but when when I'm done the blades wouldn't disengage. I turn it off and get called away by wife unit for something. By the time I get back to it it is getting dark and I completely forgot about the blade engagement. When I go to start it, it turns over for a few seconds and then I hear a zzzzt. Subsequent turns of the key yield nothing. Dejectedly, I push it into the shed. Starting it with the blades engaged was no bueno.

The next day, I free up the stuck spring loaded pulley that was causing the blades to stay engaged and I pull off the engine cover to see what I can see. First thing I notice is that the starter gear is popped up and is engaging the flywheel gear. My guess is that either it fried in that position, or stayed in that position while the mower was running. Either way I am pretty sure its shot. So I order one from Amazon for $50.

A few days later it comes and I install it and .... nothing. Still wont turn over. My mind goes to the ignition switch, I watch a few videos, check its continuity using a multimeter and it checks out.

So now I am thinking either safety switches (one on the brake and one on the PTO (Power Take Off) Lever). While I am ruminating on how in the hell I am going to check them, I decide to try something.

I apply 12 volts to the starter directly from the battery and sure enough it turns over.

Oddly enough, when I turn the key, it now seems to work again. To me this indicates that the safety switches are fine so now I am thinking maybe the solenoid is faulty but not completely shot.

After a few more tries, the key stopped working,

So I replace the solenoid (which was a royal PITA as it is buried up in battery compartment and fender instead of right near the starter). Well that does nothing. I am at my wits end but I decide to see if I can find the safety switches. When I put my hand up in to feel around for the PTO activated one I discover that the lever is no longer full engaging the switch. When I manually hold the lever back the mower fires right up when the key is turned. :fuckyeah: Yeah prob didn't need the solenoid but it was $15.....ZFG. I have these hand clamps I use to keep my pool cover secure and one will be perfect to hold that lever back until I can figure out what is wrong with it. I put the mower away, happy that I got it sorted.

The following weekend, I go out to mow. She fires right up but the fucking blades wont engage. The deck belt jumped a pulley. I mess around with it for a good 30 minutes and I get them to engage. So I get another Mow in but right before I put it away I can smell the belt burning. Sure enough it jumped the pulley again but now its taut enough for the motor pulley to start burning it. It must have gotten seriously stretched during all the bullshit and while messing with it I notice the the two drive belts are in pretty bad shape too.

FUCK THIS, I am DONE. Even if I replace all three belts and figure out what the tension deal is with the PTO lever, I still have an engine that is leaking gas. So I push the bitch back into the shed for the last effing time and list it on FB for $150.

Again, I get some serious interest. A bunch of knucklefucks and a few guys that want to argue about my response time or some other such nonsense. You know typical internet fuckery in post Trump America..... but ultimately a guy offers me full ask and I accept. He then has to last minute postpone the pick up time because of course he does. In the meantime I have three other dudes that are chomping at the bit for me to sell it to them, but I am a man of my word and the original guy offered an extra $25 if I'll hold it to the evening. I acquiesce and at 7 pm the guy shows up as promised with a much better trailer than the first guy and whole lot of love for my Z and for the Raptor 400 4 wheeler I have in the shed. Thankfully the mower fires right up (Frankly, I warmed her up a little right before he got there Wink wink).

As he hands me the small, but hard won, wad of cash, I think of the journeys I have had atop this steed....

they call her the Bronco........ and she certainly lived up to its name....

especially at the very end of our time together...

she tried to throw me at every turn.

As I watch wistfully as the new owner climbs upon that same steel back....

that I once sat astride, lo, those many, humid hours,

I see, in my minds eye, the millions and millions of blades of grass that we conquered together...

the distinct lines between man and machine blurring with each muddied pass......

As I gaze upon her for perhaps the last time, I whisper.....

through gritted teeth...

Good bye you little red bitch, I will see you in hell....

Coda

$75 (First Sale Price)
-$125 (Buy back Cost)
- 2 hours, trailering traveling dicking around with buyer/seller
- $50 (Starter)
- $15 (Solenoid)
- 3 hours dicking around with multimeters and wringing my hands
+ $175 (Second Sale Price)
3 extra mows and $60 :plac: profit

Luck of the Irish can kiss my County Cork Arse....
Last edited by Irish on Wed May 19, 2021 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
troyguitar

Irish wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:17 pm Just gave my old gas POS Bolens lawnmower to some dude from FB marketplace. He was probably 25ish and said he was :scrooge: /handy and just wanted the free thing, evidently lawnmower flipping is now a big thing now so he was having trouble scooping anything up for cheap. It was cool that he was stoked on it and going to keep it going for another season or more.

So at the end of last summer my 11 year old TroyBilt riding mower (that I paid $300, 4-5 years ago) grenaded while I was running the last of the gas out of it.

About a month ago I put it up on FBM.... I was going to just list it for free so that I didn't have to find a junkyard to take it... but I decided to throw a number of $75 on it.

Most of them were :derp: that didn't read the ad ... "Does it run?", "What's wrong with it?" DUH.... READ THE DAMN copy....

Anyway, a dude and his brother were interested, offered full price and said they'd be over same day.... So they show up with this rinky-dink, homemade trailer and were such nice guys I threw in my 1984 vintage Craftsman that I had always planned on fixing. They truly they don't make 'em like this anymore :wap: .

I was impressed with how they got both of these machines on a a trailer that was 3 feet too short using the ramps as a lever.

I had pangs of seller remorse (especially about the Craftsman) but I was happy to gain back shed space and to pocket a few bucks into the bargain.

About a week goes by and I I get a message on FB. It's the one brother and he says he replaced the motor, got it running and I can have the mower back for $125. I asked him if he was sure that was enough and he assured me that it was.

So, I re registered my trailer that had been sitting for 3 years, Hooked it up to the T-Reg (had to go buy an electrical adapter for the lights) and went over to the guys place.

The mower turned over but wouldn't start so I left empty handed. Figures.... if its too good to be true, and all that....

A day later they guy hits me up again, embarrassed, he says that he forgot the the "new" motor had a fuel shut off valve. Once he turned it it fired right up. You might think :yeahok: but the guy is disabled (Cerebral palsy and maybe some other stuff) and I really did not get a "scammer" vibe from him in the least. So, we set up another time for me to go look at it. I did notice a small fuel leak from under the carb but I decided that I could likely fix that.

I turn the key, It fires right up, everything works so I give him the $125 and bring it home.

Upon arrival, I start it up and happily mow my 0.4 acre. I'm thrilled. I put it away with a pan under the carb and the fuel valve closed. Next day there is about an ounce of gas in there which is likley just wahat was in the line. I am okay with losing an ounce of fuel after each mow but I will likely spend some time trying to fix at some point.

About a week later I go out and mow again, everything works fine but when when I'm done the blades wouldn't disengage. I turn it off and get called away by wife unit for something. By the time I get back to it it is getting dark and I completely forgot about the blade engagement. When I go to start it, it turns over for a few seconds and then I hear a zzzzt. Subsequent turns of the key yield nothing. Dejectedly, I push it into the shed. Starting it with the blades engaged was no bueno.

The next day, I free up the stuck spring loaded pulley that was causing the blades to stay engaged and I pull off the engine cover to see what I can see. First thing I notice is that the starter gear is popped up and is engaging the flywheel gear. My guess is that either it fried in that position, or stayed in that position while the mower was running. Either way I am pretty sure its shot. So I order one from Amazon for $50.

A few days later it comes and I install it and .... nothing. Still wont turn over. My mind goes to the ignition switch, I watch a few videos, check its continuity using a multimeter and it checks out.

So now I am thinking either safety switches (one on the brake and one on the PTO (Power Take Off) Lever). While I am ruminating on how in the hell I am going to check them, I decide to try something.

I apply 12 volts to the starter directly from the battery and sure enough it turns over.

Oddly enough, when I turn the key, it now seems to work again. To me this indicates that the safety switches are fine so now I am thinking maybe the solenoid is faulty but not completely shot.

So I replace the solenoid (which was a royal PITA as it is buried up in battery compartment and fender instead of right near the starter). Well that does nothing. I am at my wits end but I decide to see if I can find the safety switches. When I put my hand up in to feel around for the PTO activated one I discover that the lever is no longer full engaging the switch. When I manually hold the lever back the mower fires right up when the key is turned. :fuckyeah: Yeah prob didn't need the solenoid but it was $15.....ZFG. I have these hand clamps I use to keep my pool cover secure and one will be perfect to hold that lever back until I can figure out what is wrong with it. I put the mower away, happy that I got it sorted.

The following weekend, I go out to mow. She fires right up but the fucking blades wont engage. The deck belt jumped a pulley. I mess around with it for a good 30 minutes and I get them to engage. So I get another Mow in but right before I put it away I can smell the belt burning. Sure enough it jumped the pulley again but now its taut enough for the motor pulley to start burning it. It must have gotten seriously stretched during all the bullshit and while messing with it I notice the the two drive belts are in pretty bad shape too.

FUCK THIS, I am DONE. Even if I replace all three belts and figure out what the tension deal is with the PTO lever, I still have an engine that is leaking gas. So I push the bitch back into the shed for the last effing time and list it on FB for $150.

Again, I get some serious interest. A bunch of knucklefucks and a few guys that want to argue about my response time or some other such nonsense. You know typical internet fuckery in post Trump America..... but ultimately a guy offers me full ask and I accept. He then has to last minute postpone the pick up time because of course he does. In the meantime I have three other dudes that are chomping at the bit for me to sell it to them, but I am a man of my word and the original guy offered an extra $25 if I'll hold it to the evening. I acquiesce and at 7 pm the guy shows up as promised with a much better trailer than the first guy and whole lot of love for my Z and for the Raptor 400 4 wheeler I have in the shed. Thankfully she fires right up (Frankly, I warmed her up a little right before he got there Wink wink).

As he hands me the small, but hard won, wad of cash, I think of the journeys I have had atop this steed....

they call it the Bronco........ and it certainly lived up to its name....

that I once sat astride, lo, those many many hours,

I re-imagine the millions and millions of blades of grass that we conquered together...

the distinct lines between man and machine blurring with each muddied pass......

Coda

$75 (First Sale Price)
-$125 (Buy back Cost)
- $50 (Starter)
- $15 (Solenoid)

:notbad: :plac: :math:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:12 am

Again, I get some serious interest. A bunch of knucklefucks and a few guys that want to argue about my response time or some other such nonsense. You know typical internet fuckery in post Trump America..... but ultimately a guy offers me full ask and I accept. He then has to last minute postpone the pick up time because of course he does. In the meantime I have three other dudes that are chomping at the bit for me to sell it to them, but I am a man of my word and the original guy offered an extra $25 if I'll hold it to the evening. I acquiesce and at 7 pm the guy shows up as promised with a much better trailer than the first guy and whole lot of love for my Z and for the Raptor 400 4 wheeler I have in the shed. Thankfully the mower fires right up (Frankly, I warmed her up a little right before he got there Wink wink).

they call her the Bronco........ and she certainly lived up to its name....

that I once sat astride, lo, those many, humid hours,

I see, in my minds eye, the millions and millions of blades of grass that we conquered together...

through gritted teeth...

Coda

$75 (First Sale Price)
-$125 (Buy back Cost)
- $50 (Starter)
- $15 (Solenoid)

This is some EPIC FB marketplace poverty lawnmower lore, 5/7 would read again!

I’m glad to be out of the leaky gas POS game but it is certainly an interesting sub culture. I was :mindblown: when the guy that bought mine told me he was having trouble finding a cheap mower because they’re always picked up by mower flippers and then sold for way too much.
:really:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Yeah man, this is all part of being a human on this planet. It can be very hard sometimes, even when it feels like it shouldn't be. It can be a real challenge to feel confident and proud and yet humble. You are certainly on a great path as you're very self-aware and striving to be the best you.

I feel like you've always been a really positive force around here and never one to "bring others down" at all, FWIW. That said, a bit of negativity here or there is certainly acceptable, most of us have been :salty: / :eeyore: from time to time.
Thanks broseph, I appreciate your opinion on the matter. For some reason, we often lean on broadcasting our successes to feel better about ourselves which does the opposite for OPs. I am tired of this cycle, and really don't want to do that anymore. Re: proud vs humble, can it be achieved? It works when I'm proud of others, I want to expand on this mindset.
I think you can be both proud and humble, yes. I think we should relish in our achievements, enjoy our successes, and share our joys with our loved ones. We should also be compassionate for those less fortunate, understand that we don't know everything and never will, and always be open to learning more/being proved :wrong:

Sure, this is easier said than done, but it's something to strive for. Based on your personality on DFD, I think you get there pretty often. You have a cool/well paying job, a great family, :nice: :haus: /car setup but you're also not afraid to discuss challenges like home schooling while working, managing marriage/relationship stressors, etc.

:iono: it is certainly easy to compare ourselves to others, particularly now with things like social media, forums, and the greater internet. It can be pretty tough being human, even for those of us who have it pretty good. There is always someone who has it better, always someone who has it worse, always someone who's sick and tired of banging the chick that everyone else thinks is out of this world.

I think being open and honest is key, as is finding joy in the little things/making happiness out of what you have. Learning what works and doesn't work takes a lifetime. There's also nothing wrong with making a change if something like work, a relationship, etc. makes someone unhappy. Hell, as pointed out, look at Troy, he has seemed legitimately content recently and I would be miserable in Corning as well, so I can't blame the guy for hating life at times when being stuck there.