OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4zilch wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:00 pm

The gram is for the Olds now, it's the myspace of social media. Youngins are on TikTok
Dang. Officially old now.

:ohwell:
Rudy is the only one who is somewhat "young" still but that is fading every day.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Howdy Hosers! Hope all is well, fam. I'm still in my funk so I'm not posting much until I'm normal in the head again. The sunny weather is helping, and we've got the pool open which is 5/7! Battled with algae (bastard, that little plant is), but I think I won.... hopefully.

How's everyone doing? What's new in the land of the free, home of the brave?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:21 am
I didn't know home windmills were a thing.

How big is it? Seems like :notsure: based on size/efficiency.
Yea, so the sizes are not big... the one that is "best suited" for home is about 1500watts. I got a wind measuring device to see if we have enough sustained winds for this thing before spending any money.

A 1500 watt (@13mph sustained) mill is about ~ $500-650, solar panels for the same wattage are about $2-3x that. But obviously it would be wise to pair both.

That said, I am trying to see what happens after the you get the mill, because you technically need an inverter (400-800) + batteries ($300-4000). So the cheapest setup is about ~$1500 but what you want is about 4-5k at which point you can basically be off grid for 80% of the time. It seems a lot more reasonable than 20-25k for a comparable solar array on the roof.
Any idea on maintenance? There's got to be bearings or something that need service since it's spinning all the time. This is really interesting.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:08 pm

If you want to be :scrooge: with Fast Food anymore, the move is to get the apps and order that way. There are often :dill: s that are not apparent at the place. Also, it is less likely that your order gets fucked up and you can customize without looking like a :jackass:

I've noticed the skyrocket in local eateries as well :doe: , we went out for BBQ on Thursday, hardly fine dining. We did each get two beers, but a fairly modest amount of food, like I would've liked to eat more, and it was $90. I am so done with the "gotta tip over 20% because the poor restaurant workers during the 'VID" :bs: as well :rolleyes: I'm back to 20% for good servicee, maybe an extra couple bucks for above and beyond service, 10-15% if it sucks, 15-20 for mediocrity.
Yea there is no such thing as a single digit entree anymore. And I am expecting prices to rapidly rise from here.

People are cooped up at home flush with cash and they are dying to get out and blow it on rental cars/travel/concerts/restaurants. All the things we "couldn't do". And those areas will likely see the biggest rebound in demand + highest inflationary pressures.
Worse is demand is spiking when restaurants are understaffed. :nuke: incoming IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm Howdy Hosers! Hope all is well, fam. I'm still in my funk so I'm not posting much until I'm normal in the head again. The sunny weather is helping, and we've got the pool open which is 5/7! Battled with algae (bastard, that little plant is), but I think I won.... hopefully.

:hai:

:whalecum: back :mahman:

Not much new to report for me here, been working on the patio this week which is :nice: It seems like we're finally into consistent warm weather. It was a weirdly chilly spring so far.

Glad you're enjoying the pool and whatnot and best of luck with the mental funk, I think we've all been there in the past 18 months plenty. We're here if you need to vent as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:52 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm Howdy Hosers! Hope all is well, fam. I'm still in my funk so I'm not posting much until I'm normal in the head again. The sunny weather is helping, and we've got the pool open which is 5/7! Battled with algae (bastard, that little plant is), but I think I won.... hopefully.

Not much new to report for me here, been working on the patio this week which is :nice: It seems like we're finally into consistent warm weather. It was a weirdly chilly spring so far.

Glad you're enjoying the pool and whatnot and best of luck with the mental funk, I think we've all been there in the past 18 months plenty. We're here if you need to vent as well.
So so so much :dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The pool is utilized by me and the kiddos on our morning/lunch break, it's been open for two days thus far, since we too have had pretty cold weather until just now. Working outside is :nice: , hopefully will be able to do more of that as well.

Thanks for the invitation, being able to share/vent is always appreciated! I don't think that I'm angry or :sad: , just indifferent or have a feeling of uneasiness for no reason in particular. I think I have covid fatigue, and am not 100% happy with anything anymore, including myself. It's hard to explain, because I can't put my finger on it. I feel like a failure, even when I'm not completely failing at any one thing.

What I don't want to turn into a person who brings others down, so I'm working through things with the blind expectation that I'll be able to improve myself to the point where I'm happy with who I am. Working out with Nicole in the mornings helps quite a bit, wellness in body and mind, right? I need to improve the way that I process interactions with others as well, I think this will help more then anything else that I'm working on. I want to become a person that listens better, and empathizes without judgement or indifference. I want to be able to listen to people and actually hear them, and not wait for my turn to speak. It's actually harder then it sounds, why I'm unhappy with who I am. As hard as I try, my inner douche-bag takes over :lolol: :crang:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:12 pm

The pool is utilized by me and the kiddos on our morning/lunch break, it's been open for two days thus far, since we too have had pretty cold weather until just now. Working outside is :nice: , hopefully will be able to do more of that as well.

Thanks for the invitation, being able to share/vent is always appreciated! I don't think that I'm angry or :sad: , just indifferent or have a feeling of uneasiness for no reason in particular. I think I have covid fatigue, and am not 100% happy with anything anymore, including myself. It's hard to explain, because I can't put my finger on it. I feel like a failure, even when I'm not completely failing at any one thing.

What I don't want to turn into a person who brings others down, so I'm working through things with the blind expectation that I'll be able to improve myself to the point where I'm happy with who I am. Working out with Nicole in the mornings helps quite a bit, wellness in body and mind, right? I need to improve the way that I process interactions with others as well, I think this will help more then anything else that I'm working on. I want to become a person that listens better, and empathizes without judgement or indifference. I want to be able to listen to people and actually hear them, and not wait for my turn to speak. It's actually harder then it sounds, why I'm unhappy with who I am. As hard as I try, my inner douche-bag takes over :lolol: :crang:
Yeah man, this is all part of being a human on this planet. It can be very hard sometimes, even when it feels like it shouldn't be. It can be a real challenge to feel confident and proud and yet humble. You are certainly on a great path as you're very self-aware and striving to be the best you.

I feel like you've always been a really positive force around here and never one to "bring others down" at all, FWIW. That said, a bit of negativity here or there is certainly acceptable, most of us have been :salty: / :eeyore: from time to time.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Yeah man, this is all part of being a human on this planet. It can be very hard sometimes, even when it feels like it shouldn't be. It can be a real challenge to feel confident and proud and yet humble. You are certainly on a great path as you're very self-aware and striving to be the best you.

I feel like you've always been a really positive force around here and never one to "bring others down" at all, FWIW. That said, a bit of negativity here or there is certainly acceptable, most of us have been :salty: / :eeyore: from time to time.
Thanks broseph, I appreciate your opinion on the matter. For some reason, we often lean on broadcasting our successes to feel better about ourselves which does the opposite for OPs. I am tired of this cycle, and really don't want to do that anymore. Re: proud vs humble, can it be achieved? It works when I'm proud of others, I want to expand on this mindset.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai: folks.

My back is still pretty fucked up. Had trouble sleeping again last night. Right leg is sore and right foot is still semi numb. Twisted my right ankle a bit this morning because if it, I think. Since it feels kinda numb, it seems like it's flopping around a bit, like I don't have complete control over it when I walk, so I stepped :wrong: and turned it a bit. :lol: Hurts, but NBD.

Otherwise, nothing much new here.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dude, you are so not alone in this feeling. I've been battling this EXACT same feeling for a few months now. It's terrible, and I'm only just now feeling better because the weather is nice and I'm outside all the time. Went for a lunchtime bike ride that was 5/7 and really set me up right.

I actually blame seasonal depression made worse by COVID because there was nothing to do to help fix it. Before, we could go somewhere and do SOMETHING, but the last few months just felt like being a prisoner to shitty weather and I think that dragged my entire emotional state into the ground. Never 100% happy with anything, constantly feeling like a failure (I've been battling this my entire life, but it flared up BAD recently).

Just saying I know exactly how you're feeling...I know it too well.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm :hai: folks.

My back is still pretty fucked up. Had trouble sleeping again last night. Right leg is sore and right foot is still semi numb. Twisted my right ankle a bit this morning because if it, I think. Since it feels kinda numb, it seems like it's flopping around a bit, like I don't have complete control over it when I walk, so I stepped :wrong: and turned it a bit. :lol: Hurts, but NBD.

:(

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully it starts to heal up. Still keeping up with the yoga? I'm sure it's hard being tired from little sleep.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:33 pm

Thanks broseph, I appreciate your opinion on the matter. For some reason, we often lean on broadcasting our successes to feel better about ourselves which does the opposite for OPs. I am tired of this cycle, and really don't want to do that anymore. Re: proud vs humble, can it be achieved? It works when I'm proud of others, I want to expand on this mindset.
The problem with the internet (life in general, but it's more in your face online) is that people rarely broadcast problems, just successes. So all you see are other people killing it and you assume that everyone is killing it 100% of the time except for you. Which isn't even remotely the case ever, but it's how our brains interpret what they're presented with.

It's part of why I always encourage people to be open here. Air out everything you feel you need a sounding board for. Not only does it help you, but it helps others realize that we're all in the same boat in life, and maybe if we're all open about that, we can help each other get through the :bs: . Because often times you may feel alone, when in reality you're in more company than you realize.

It's easy to get down on yourself fast when it's not at all warranted. Taking what you see with a grain of salt helps, as does focusing on your positives. Your positives can be absolutely anything...from as simple as "I took a walk today and saw a badass thing" to "I got a raise and am rich AF now"...everything in between should be celebrated in your mind.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:15 pm

The problem with the internet (life in general, but it's more in your face online) is that people rarely broadcast problems, just successes. So all you see are other people killing it and you assume that everyone is killing it 100% of the time except for you. Which isn't even remotely the case ever, but it's how our brains interpret what they're presented with.

It's part of why I always encourage people to be open here. Air out everything you feel you need a sounding board for. Not only does it help you, but it helps others realize that we're all in the same boat in life, and maybe if we're all open about that, we can help each other get through the :bs: . Because often times you may feel alone, when in reality you're in more company than you realize.

It's easy to get down on yourself fast when it's not at all warranted. Taking what you see with a grain of salt helps, as does focusing on your positives. Your positives can be absolutely anything...from as simple as "I took a walk today and saw a badass thing" to "I got a raise and am rich AF now"...everything in between should be celebrated in your mind.
:wrong: everyone else is always better than you! :lol:

I’m not saying shit because I’ve been an angry mfer this year. I need to close and build a little home gym and I guarantee I’ll be feeling a million times better.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:32 pm

I’m not saying shit because I’ve been an angry mfer this year. I need to close and build a little home gym and I guarantee I’ll be feeling a million times better.
We've all dealt with shit this year, and a lot of it goes without others knowing, it's all good dude.

Finding what makes you :fuckyeah: makes a huge difference. Unfortunately for me, it's weather related because I just love being outside. I live in both the best and worst place for that :(
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:26 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm :hai: folks.

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully it starts to heal up. Still keeping up with the yoga? I'm sure it's hard being tired from little sleep.
Yeah, did yoga after work yesterday and did some more stretches/yoga poses before bed and when I woke up this morning. It does help, especially in the morning because I stiffen up BAD over night. Trouble is, I really can't get on the floor at work and do some, so I'm really uncomfortable at work. I squirm around in my chair looking like I need to take a piss, but I'm just trying to move my spine around to find a comfortable position for a few minutes.
Just gonna keep doing yoga and stretching as much as I can and just :dealwithit: as best I can.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:26 pm

Yeah, did yoga after work yesterday and did some more stretches/yoga poses before bed and when I woke up this morning. It does help, especially in the morning because I stiffen up BAD over night. Trouble is, I really can't get on the floor at work and do some, so I'm really uncomfortable at work. I squirm around in my chair looking like I need to take a piss, but I'm just trying to move my spine around to find a comfortable position for a few minutes.
Just gonna keep doing yoga and stretching as much as I can and just :dealwithit: as best I can.
Makes me :rage: that you're stuck in an office, but whatever.

Doing what you can, it'll get you there. :dealwithit: can be tough :doe: especially with your back.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:51 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm

We've all dealt with shit this year, and a lot of it goes without others knowing, it's all good dude.

Finding what makes you :fuckyeah: makes a huge difference. Unfortunately for me, it's weather related because I just love being outside. I live in both the best and worst place for that :(
That can be tough, but try to think of the positives of winter. Snow is pretty :fuckyeah: . The woods must be :amaze: looking covered in snow. Winter hikes can be :neat: . etc. Maybe try snowshoeing or cross country skiing next winter?

Though, I understand this past winter sucked :jackass: :balls: because there was so little snow. Hopefully this coming winter will be 5/7. :like:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:02 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Makes me :rage: that you're stuck in an office, but whatever.

Doing what you can, it'll get you there. :dealwithit: can be tough :doe: especially with your back.
Thanks.

Got no other choice but to :dealwithit: :iono: :ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:51 pm

That can be tough, but try to think of the positives of winter. Snow is pretty :fuckyeah: . The woods must be :amaze: looking covered in snow. Winter hikes can be :neat: . etc. Maybe try snowshoeing or cross country skiing next winter?

Though, I understand this past winter sucked :jackass: :balls: because there was so little snow. Hopefully this coming winter will be 5/7. :like:
Yea, we got no snow. We did get :impressive: sun, but the cold without anything else just gets OLD. Hopefully I can stay full remote and work out some sort of snow bird scenario if this winter repeats itself.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:25 pm

Dude, you are so not alone in this feeling. I've been battling this EXACT same feeling for a few months now. It's terrible, and I'm only just now feeling better because the weather is nice and I'm outside all the time. Went for a lunchtime bike ride that was 5/7 and really set me up right.

I actually blame seasonal depression made worse by COVID because there was nothing to do to help fix it. Before, we could go somewhere and do SOMETHING, but the last few months just felt like being a prisoner to shitty weather and I think that dragged my entire emotional state into the ground. Never 100% happy with anything, constantly feeling like a failure (I've been battling this my entire life, but it flared up BAD recently).

Thanks for sharing this sentiment Chris, I'm glad that you're coming out of it more freedom and exercise. It brings me hope that things will get better soon. We're behind with access to vaccinations, and in-turn access to an open economy, etc., this is why I got the pool open as soon as I could. I think having access to more diversified activities will help me as well.

What a fucked up time we live in, the only saving grace is that COVID isn't more severe (such as Polio in the 50s). In some ways it's actually kind of anger invoking as well, since I'm not exposed to anyone who faced great detriment from it, and it makes me question the way these lockdowns get handled. I'm hoping this shit ends this year.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing this sentiment Chris, I'm glad that you're coming out of it more freedom and exercise. It brings me hope that things will get better soon. We're behind with access to vaccinations, and in-turn access to an open economy, etc., this is why I got the pool open as soon as I could. I think having access to more diversified activities will help me as well.

What a fucked up time we live in, the only saving grace is that COVID isn't more severe (such as Polio in the 50s). In some ways it's actually kind of anger invoking as well, since I'm not exposed to anyone who faced great detriment from it, and it makes me question the way these lockdowns get handled. I'm hoping this shit ends this year.
Now that you mention it, there might be some emotional lift from being vaccinated. My 2nd dose was nearly 2 weeks ago, and I do feel a bit of a mental weight lifted off knowing that the "fear" around the virus can be drastically diminished. I'm surprised you guys don't have easy access to vaccines while they're going to waste here because DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO :bs:

Indeed a super fucked up time and it takes its toll on us mentally for sure. I do think that diversified activities could go a long way for you and anyone really. The mundane groundhog's day type life is more taxing than I thought it would be. Variety is the spice of life, etc.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I've had a lot of feels the past few month too. All inside my head. From feeling like a failure to no one wanting me around.

I thought it was seasonal as well, started taking vitamin D, but my ass hurts so much now.

Exercise, and positive thinking has been doing me well.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:03 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Now that you mention it, there might be some emotional lift from being vaccinated. My 2nd dose was nearly 2 weeks ago, and I do feel a bit of a mental weight lifted off knowing that the "fear" around the virus can be drastically diminished. I'm surprised you guys don't have easy access to vaccines while they're going to waste here because DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO :bs:

Indeed a super fucked up time and it takes its toll on us mentally for sure. I do think that diversified activities could go a long way for you and anyone really. The mundane groundhog's day type life is more taxing than I thought it would be. Variety is the spice of life, etc.
It's coming soon, for now the older group and front liners are eligible for their first and second shots, and younger crowd can start getting their first shots. They are planning to give everyone access to their first shot by August from what I read last.

It was a slow rollout because Pfizer/Moderna were prioritized in the US and a few other ally nations, while we committed to Astra Zeneca, which turned out to be a risky enough product to get pulled half way through. I'm okay with the delays on a personal front, because we've had a lot of mis-information from authorities, especially regarding the safety of A-Z. It was really weird to see every other nation pull the plug except for us, until long after countless deaths of our own citizens. I personally know two people who died from the shit within one degree of separation to me. It agitates me that we are so disposable to our politicians, yet another reason why I'm cynical lately. I'll give it a few months, and phase between 1st and 2nd shots with my wife, so we aren't both in rough shape at the same time. We should have access soon.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:28 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Dang. Officially old now.

:ohwell:
Rudy is the only one who is somewhat "young" still but that is fading every day.
Funny you mention that. I don’t even “use” Instagram or most social media nowadays as a user. I just repost interesting things or share to my stories. But I don’t use it as a creator. I used to be heavy into it like 2013-16 but dropped using it heavily after. A bunch of my friends have talked about how much we actually don’t use social media much anymore.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.