OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:33 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:17 am

:ayfkm:

We have a policy at work where if you claim you are vaccinated but you aren’t and you’re purposely not wearing a mask or following guidelines you can get terminated for being dishonest (we have a no lie policy regardless, so this was added to that versus being it’s own policy)
:notbad: I like this!

Not being axed for the vaccine, but being axed for being dishonest. :bravo:
Well because our company went against asking directly whether you’re vaccinated, but we tell people that if they are vaccinated, they can wear a mask if they want to but don’t HAVE to (according to whatever CDC guideline is).

Same thing as if you’re not vaccinated you’re expected to mask up in all areas except at your own desk in the office.

So if you’re trotting around maskless and then get exposed or have/get COVID or symptoms, and we tell you to stay home and quarantine if you’re unvaccinated or behave as normal and monitor for symptoms if you are vaccinated, and you end up WFH while “quarantining” for 10 days but you’ve been around maskless acting like you’re vaccinated… axed.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:02 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:51 am

The problem is that no one wants to police it because no one wants to deal with lawyers. Plus, the enforcement almost always lands on employees who are at the bottom of the pay scale, so they aren't going to put up much of a resistance, especially if the person starts getting physical. So, everyone just walks around maskless despite the vaccination rates suggesting otherwise.
Yep, exactly. I just think dropping the mask mandate for anyone happened too soon. No way would I want the poor bottom rung people dealing with the MaH RIAaatSs morans.
At least around here, the mandate was only dropped for vaccinated people. The problem is that very few were verifying vaccination statuses because very few wanted to take on that responsibility. Now, we have private businesses and local municipalities deciding to reinstate mask and vaccination mandates for their jurisdictions. The latest being Philadelphia mandating masks inside all buildings that don't require proof of vaccination.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I don't think the dirty polyester Joe Schmoe is putting over his face is actually doing anything from a spread perspective. There seems to be zero correlation between mask mandate and spread.

We're going on nearly two years of this shit, and fatality rates have dropped like a rock, especially for those vaccinated. At this point, it's fair game. Protect yourself as you deem necessary. If that means bunkering at home, getting the vaccine, wearing a bio hazard gas mask, I don't care. That's how I felt from the beginning, but now especially so. The idea of perpetual lockdowns and money printer going BRRRRRRT until the risk is zero is doing way more harm than good.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:53 am I don't think the dirty polyester Joe Schmoe is putting over his face is actually doing anything from a spread perspective. There seems to be zero correlation between mask mandate and spread.

We're going on nearly two years of this shit, and fatality rates have dropped like a rock, especially for those vaccinated. At this point, it's fair game. Protect yourself as you deem necessary. If that means bunkering at home, getting the vaccine, wearing a bio hazard gas mask, I don't care. That's how I felt from the beginning, but now especially so. The idea of perpetual lockdowns and money printer going BRRRRRRT until the risk is zero is doing way more harm than good.
I’m not for mandates especially from governments when it seems like they are forcing things down our throats. However I also believe in common courtesy. I’ll mask up in places as a courtesy to everyone else. Especially here in San Antonio a lot of the folks do it to be good neighbors. There are of course the people that are completely ignorant or rude about it.

Listen, ultimately I believe the virus is real… and taking stuff seriously from a hygienic, cleanliness, sanitation, etc. to prevent yourself from getting ANY sort of virus, let alone COVID, is the smart way forward regardless.

Plenty of Asian countries have folks masking for various reasons whether it’s air quality or the whole spread of disease.

I’m cool with wearing a mask even after covid if I’m sick and in public. And it’s not because the government told me to, but rather because it feels like the courteous thing to do
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:53 am I don't think the dirty polyester Joe Schmoe is putting over his face is actually doing anything from a spread perspective. There seems to be zero correlation between mask mandate and spread.

:bravo:

This is where I stand too. We know there's risks, and we have counter-measures, which ones people choose to implement is on them. I do like what some companies are doing, they scan for temps at the door, along with conducting a quick five question survey, and everyone needs to sanitize their hands upon entry and take a medical grade mask which is MANDATORY in all work areas aside from designated desks/designated lunch tables. Communal areas need to have paper towels and disinfectant spray cleaners which need to be used before and after sitting at said tables.

I do agree that vaccinations are a good thing, but there are numerous unhealthy people that I know who ended up in the ER and/or dead days after being vaccinated, so I'm erring on the side of caution. A compulsory vaccine passport to work might just be a death sentence for someone, and that's not fair to them or their families.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:58 am

I’m not for mandates especially from governments when it seems like they are forcing things down our throats. However I also believe in common courtesy. I’ll mask up in places as a courtesy to everyone else. Especially here in San Antonio a lot of the folks do it to be good neighbors. There are of course the people that are completely ignorant or rude about it.

Listen, ultimately I believe the virus is real… and taking stuff seriously from a hygienic, cleanliness, sanitation, etc. to prevent yourself from getting ANY sort of virus, let alone COVID, is the smart way forward regardless.

Plenty of Asian countries have folks masking for various reasons whether it’s air quality or the whole spread of disease.

I’m cool with wearing a mask even after covid if I’m sick and in public. And it’s not because the government told me to, but rather because it feels like the courteous thing to do
I think that's my issue with it. I haven't seen any sort of correlation that the masks are doing anything. It's more of a sign virtue signaling than anything else. The public messaging on this has been an absolute train wreck.

I see this data and I think we're giving people a false sense of security that masks are protecting them at all.

You should see some correlation between mask mandates being introduced, and a reduction in transmission. There's a quiz you can take actually to try and guess transmission rate of states and when and how they implemented mask mandates. It appears totally random. I think if we didn't push this mask idea so much, people would be more likely to isolate, which is much, much more effective.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:15 am

This is where I stand too. We know there's risks, and we have counter-measures, which ones people choose to implement is on them. I do like what some companies are doing, they scan for temps at the door, along with conducting a quick five question survey, and everyone needs to sanitize their hands upon entry and take a medical grade mask which is MANDATORY in all work areas aside from designated desks/designated lunch tables. Communal areas need to have paper towels and disinfectant spray cleaners which need to be used before and after sitting at said tables.

I do agree that vaccinations are a good thing, but there are numerous unhealthy people that I know who ended up in the ER and/or dead days after being vaccinated, so I'm erring on the side of caution. A compulsory vaccine passport to work might just be a death sentence for someone, and that's not fair to them or their families.
Exactly. Let people make that decision with their doctor. Freedom is a beautiful thing.

I got the vaccine, and immediately had sciatica within 2 days of the first shot. I never had it before in my life, and it was totally debilitating for a couple of months. I still can't feel my right butt cheek, and it's been 5 months. Now, did the vaccine cause this? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. Does the vaccine cause an inflammatory response? It can. Can inflammation trigger sciatica? Yes. Can it also be coincidence? Yep.

I also felt like I was dying after the first and second shot. I had a severe reaction, which makes sense, because I think I actually had COVID back in March on 2020, and apparently reactions are worse if you've been infected before. If I had known what I know now, back in March, I probably would have not gotten the vaccine. Natural immunity is longer lasting and better protects than the vaccines itself, and there doesn't seem to be any additional protection for getting the vaccine if you've previously been infected. Either way, I made the best decision with what I knew at the time.
Huckleberry

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:43 am

Transmission and infection rates are greatly reduced. That's how.
Fair point, this is true in the case where the original virus overlaps with the current generation of vaccines, not so much with variants, and there is data to show this trend.

However, there are risks associated, and there are people who's quality of life is impacted by those risks. This is why people need to have a choice to be vaccinated or not, something I believe in strongly. I know that you don't but that is what makes life interesting. :like:
Associated risks are dependent upon how people fall into specific risk categories. Again, it is a determination that can be made by a licensed doctor who, in turn, could provide a legitimate medical reason for the person to not be vaccinated. There are also plenty risks associated with not getting vaccinated, the biggest one being contracting COVID. And in terms of making choices, it seems like those using the associated risk percentages as a reason to not get vaccinated wholly ignore the fact that those risk percentages are much higher when contracting COVID. For example, the whole J&J blood clot debacle got blown up by the media, so now everyone thinks they are going to get blood clots from the shot despite it being a narrow group of people who fall into the risk category, and the clotting risk alone is much lower than the clotting risk from contracting COVID.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:40 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 am

Fair point, this is true in the case where the original virus overlaps with the current generation of vaccines, not so much with variants, and there is data to show this trend.

However, there are risks associated, and there are people who's quality of life is impacted by those risks. This is why people need to have a choice to be vaccinated or not, something I believe in strongly. I know that you don't but that is what makes life interesting. :like:
Associated risks are dependent upon how people fall into specific risk categories. Again, it is a determination that can be made by a licensed doctor who, in turn, could provide a legitimate medical reason for the person to not be vaccinated. There are also plenty risks associated with not getting vaccinated, the biggest one being contracting COVID. And in terms of making choices, it seems like those using the associated risk percentages as a reason to not get vaccinated wholly ignore the fact that those risk percentages are much higher when contracting COVID. For example, the whole J&J blood clot debacle got blown up by the media, so now everyone thinks they are going to get blood clots from the shot despite it being a narrow group of people who fall into the risk category, and the clotting risk alone is much lower than the clotting risk from contracting COVID.
You're regurgitating some info that's just guesswork. As a whole, I agree, but no fucking way a corporation should get anywhere near that decision making policy. My wife's dad is fourth in line for heart surgery today because his heart has some minor swelling after being vaccinated, and this overlaps with a nearly blocked artery that is now being squeezed. He's lucky to be alive, but we aren't sure that he will be by this afternoon. If a corp told him that he NEEDS to get vaccinated to keep his job then I believe that they're out of line.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And yes, I'm sure that catching COVID would have put him in the same predicament or worse, but there is no way that his family doctor would be able to determine that he isn't the right candidate for the jab.

I have five other examples that I can share with you with similar/worse outcomes. Do you want to know about all of them, or nah..
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:33 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:17 am

:ayfkm:

We have a policy at work where if you claim you are vaccinated but you aren’t and you’re purposely not wearing a mask or following guidelines you can get terminated for being dishonest (we have a no lie policy regardless, so this was added to that versus being it’s own policy)
:notbad: I like this!

Not being axed for the vaccine, but being axed for being dishonest. :bravo:
:dat: :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:29 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:15 am

Exactly. Let people make that decision with their doctor. Freedom is a beautiful thing.

I got the vaccine, and immediately had sciatica within 2 days of the first shot. I never had it before in my life, and it was totally debilitating for a couple of months. I still can't feel my right butt cheek, and it's been 5 months. Now, did the vaccine cause this? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. Does the vaccine cause an inflammatory response? It can. Can inflammation trigger sciatica? Yes. Can it also be coincidence? Yep.

I also felt like I was dying after the first and second shot. I had a severe reaction, which makes sense, because I think I actually had COVID back in March on 2020, and apparently reactions are worse if you've been infected before. If I had known what I know now, back in March, I probably would have not gotten the vaccine. Natural immunity is longer lasting and better protects than the vaccines itself, and there doesn't seem to be any additional protection for getting the vaccine if you've previously been infected. Either way, I made the best decision with what I knew at the time.
Would you do anything slightly differently, i.e. different brand or whatever?
wap

Our company got around the not being able to ask about vaccination status by offering every employee $60 after getting the 2nd jab. We just had to submit a copy of our vax card to HR that shows both jabs (or 1 of J&J) and we got an extra $60 in our next paycheck. Totally voluntary but I believe we got a 100% return rate. We're currently at 76% vaxed rate.
Huckleberry

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:40 am

You're regurgitating some info that's just guesswork. As a whole, I agree, but no fucking way a corporation should get anywhere near that decision making policy. My wife's dad is fourth in line for heart surgery today because his heart has some minor swelling after being vaccinated, and this overlaps with a nearly blocked artery that is now being squeezed. He's lucky to be alive, but we aren't sure that he will be by this afternoon. If a corp told him that he NEEDS to get vaccinated to keep his job then I believe that they're out of line.
So, you're not cool with corporations mandating drug tests in order to get a job? Or are we just getting real picky-choosy with what we want to let fly?

Sorry to hear about your father in law, but anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:48 am
MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:29 am

Would you do anything slightly differently, i.e. different brand or whatever?
No, probably not. I got Moderna, but Pfizer is also an mRNA vaccine. :iono: When I thought I actually got COVID in march of 2020, I couldn't get a test unless my symptoms were much more severe, and COVID specific antibodies only last for a few weeks or months, so there's no way of really knowing now. The long term immunity is stored in your T-cells, but that's not an easy thing to test for.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:05 pm

So, you're not cool with corporations mandating drug tests in order to get a job? Or are we just getting real picky-choosy with what we want to let fly?

Wow, talk about apples and oranges.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

No, I'm not cool with corps mandating drug tests.

Thanks man, but I'm not trying to convince you to change your view-point. There are five other people within one degree of separation who experienced strokes and heart attacks all within a few days of being vaccinated, anecdotal or not, there's unidentified risks with getting vaccinated IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:05 pm Our company got around the not being able to ask about vaccination status by offering every employee $60 after getting the 2nd jab. We just had to submit a copy of our vax card to HR that shows both jabs (or 1 of J&J) and we got an extra $60 in our next paycheck. Totally voluntary but I believe we got a 100% return rate. We're currently at 76% vaxed rate.
They just launched a new program where they are giving everyone with vax cards $100 at my company.

I mean, I guess it's a good thing, it'll bolster vaccination rates maybe? But it seems kind of dumb to me. I would honestly question an anti-vaxxer even more if they were willing to give up their stance on it for $100. Talk about selling out :lolol: .

I also don't feel like I'm entitled anything for making a decision that I made to protect my own health and that of others. I'm not going to turn down $100 though :iono:
Huckleberry

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:12 pm

Thanks man, but I'm not trying to convince you to change your view-point. There are five other people within one degree of separation who experienced strokes and heart attacks all within a few days of being vaccinated, anecdotal or not, there's unidentified risks with getting vaccinated IMO.
And just for my own anecdotal account, I know plenty of people who have gotten vaccinated, and the number who have experienced any serious ill effects is zero.
Huckleberry

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:08 pm

Wow, talk about apples and oranges.
Not really.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:56 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:12 pm

And just for my own anecdotal account, I know plenty of people who have gotten vaccinated, and the number who have experienced any serious ill effects is zero.
I know that you strongly believe in your stance, and I respect that and don't care to want to change it, but the truth isn't so black and white.
Huckleberry

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:03 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:56 pm

I know that you strongly believe in your stance, and I respect that and don't care to want to change it, but the truth isn't so black and white.
I'm not saying the truth is so black and white, but was simply sharing my anecdotal account. You aren't the first one to state that you know one or multiple people who have had adverse events happen after getting vaccinated, but I also have an anecdotal account where I know a lot of people who have been vaccinated and experienced zero serious effects. I don't think either account should hold more weight than another, but human nature lends to give more weight to the negative accounts as a reason to discredit the subject in discussion.

Yes, I do feel strongly about this because I personally don't enjoy the situation that we have found ourselves in over the last 20 months, and getting vaccinated is the clearest path forward for getting out of this shithole.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:24 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:03 pm

I'm not saying the truth is so black and white, but was simply sharing my anecdotal account. You aren't the first one to state that you know one or multiple people who have had adverse events happen after getting vaccinated, but I also have an anecdotal account where I know a lot of people who have been vaccinated and experienced zero serious effects. I don't think either account should hold more weight than another, but human nature lends to give more weight to the negative accounts as a reason to discredit the subject in discussion.

Yes, I do feel strongly about this because I personally don't enjoy the situation that we have found ourselves in over the last 20 months, and getting vaccinated is the clearest path forward for getting out of this shithole.
Fair enough, I'm with you on that sentiment.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:27 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:05 pm Our company got around the not being able to ask about vaccination status by offering every employee $60 after getting the 2nd jab. We just had to submit a copy of our vax card to HR that shows both jabs (or 1 of J&J) and we got an extra $60 in our next paycheck. Totally voluntary but I believe we got a 100% return rate. We're currently at 76% vaxed rate.
They just launched a new program where they are giving everyone with vax cards $100 at my company.

I mean, I guess it's a good thing, it'll bolster vaccination rates maybe? But it seems kind of dumb to me. I would honestly question an anti-vaxxer even more if they were willing to give up their stance on it for $100. Talk about selling out :lolol: .

I also don't feel like I'm entitled anything for making a decision that I made to protect my own health and that of others. I'm not going to turn down $100 though :iono:
:notwrong: but :whocares: if an anti-vaxxer gives up their stance for $ as long as they get jabbed, which is good for them and society as a whole is how I think about it.

I hear you about not being entitled to a "reward" for doing the right, smart thing that is for my benefit, but if it's being offered to everyone, why not? Related to this, my company also offered a free day off to anyone who experienced a bad reaction to either jab, no questions asked. I could have easily taken those 2 days but I came back to work each time ZFG because I figured I could work through the arm pain and fatigue.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Totally agreed but these are really people who are just lazy af about ERRTHANG. If $100 alters your "conviction" you don't in reality, care about a damn thing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.