OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

5/7 reports boys.

There is something to discuss for us. One of the :tinfoil: bros that did some digging and only wants the J&J cancer cocktail. He stated that it is a traditional type of vaccine that’s tried and proven even though it’s less effective.

He is avoiding the new RNA stuff because he feels that the body will then be compromised... as it will introduce a sort of “back door” gene code that can be used for other viruses etc, which in theory is good, however it is unproven technology...

Doesn’t sound like a terrible argument for the J J to be honest.

I have not personally verified the claims so take it with a grain of salt...
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 pm 5/7 reports boys.

There is something to discuss for us. One of the :tinfoil: bros that did some digging and only wants the J&J cancer cocktail. He stated that it is a traditional type of vaccine that’s tried and proven even though it’s less effective.

He is avoiding the new RNA stuff because he feels that the body will then be compromised... as it will introduce a sort of “back door” gene code that can be used for other viruses etc, which in theory is good, however it is unproven technology...

Doesn’t sound like a terrible argument for the J J to be honest.

I have not personally verified the claims so take it with a grain of salt...
I understand that these new RNA based vaccines have been in the works for many years so they're not that new, although admittedly they're "new" in that afaik this is the first mass use of them. I also heard that they have great potential to be tweaked or adjusted or whatever to possibly be used against other viruses, which is :neat:

The best thing about the J&J is that you only need one stab, and after a few weeks it's effectiveness grows over time to be closer to the other ones.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I am not thrilled with the whole mRNA thing. I know that they have been working on them for a long time but they were never previously approved for use .... Look, I don't want to add to the "alarmist" cacophony here (I DID get mRNA vaccine after all) but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I do have some trepidation.....

As far as effectiveness...... they all show super high success in keeping people from getting really, really sick ...... the J&J does allow more people to get the 'rona but the symptoms are only mild to moderate....
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

From the New York Times

‘Breathtaking’ results

It’s the latest case of vaccine alarmism.

Many Americans are worried that Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine is an inferior product that may not be worth getting. Gov. Doug Burgum of North Dakota recently told The Washington Post that he was now seeing not only “vaccine hesitancy” but also “the potential for brand hesitancy.”

The perception stems from the headline rates of effectiveness of the three vaccines: 72 percent for Johnson & Johnson, compared with 94 percent for Moderna and 95 percent for Pfizer. But those headline rates can be misleading in a few ways.

The most important measure — whether the vaccine prevents serious illness — shows the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to be equally effective as the other two. All work for nearly 100 percent of people. The picture is murkier for mild cases, but they are not particularly worrisome.

Today, I want to unpack the statistics about the three vaccines and explain why the current perception is a problem.

I’ll start with an anecdote that this newsletter has included once before: Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious-disease expert at Vanderbilt University, was recently talking with some colleagues about what they would tell a family member who could choose between getting the Johnson & Johnson tomorrow and one of the other vaccines in three weeks.

“All of us said, ‘Get the one tomorrow,’” as Schaffner recounted to my colleague Denise Grady. “The virus is bad.”

Mild Covid means victory

The headline effectiveness numbers — like 72 percentdescribe a vaccine’s ability to prevent all infections from this coronavirus, known as SARS-Cov-2. But preventing all infections is less important than it may sound. The world is not going to eliminate SARS-Cov-2 anytime soon. Coronaviruses circulate all the time, causing the common cold and other manageable illnesses.

The trouble with this virus is its lethality. It has killed 15 times as many Americans as an average flu season. Turning Covid into something more like a mild flu or common cold means victory over the pandemic.

All three vaccines being used in the U.S. are accomplishing that goal. In the research trials, none of the people who received a vaccine died of Covid. And after the vaccines had taken full effect, none were hospitalized, either.

In the real world, the vaccines won’t achieve quite as stellar outcomes. Still, the results are excellent — and equally excellent across the three, as Dr. Cody Meissner of the Tufts School of Medicine said during a recent F.D.A. meeting.

Like running into the wind

But why doesn’t Johnson & Johnson appear to be as good at preventing mild illness?

There are a few possible answers. For one, Johnson & Johnson’s research trials seem to have had a greater degree of difficulty. They occurred later than Moderna’s or Pfizer’s — after one of the virus variants had spread more widely. The variant appears to cause a greater number of mild Covid cases among vaccinated people than the original virus.

Second, Johnson & Johnson is currently only one shot, while Moderna and Pfizer are two shots. That happened mostly because of how strong the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is. Initial testing showed it to deliver impressive levels of immunity after only one shot, while the others required a booster, as Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of the department of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, explained to me.

The truth is that all of the vaccines seem to provide significant protection after a single shot. (Look at Britain, which is not rushing to give second shots and where cases and deaths continue to plummet.) Similarly, all three vaccines may benefit from a second shot.

I recognize that may make some people anxious about getting the single Johnson & Johnson shot, but it shouldn’t. If further data suggest that a second Johnson & Johnson shot would help, regulators can change their recommendation. Regardless, follow-up Covid shots may be normal in the future.

What’s the bottom line? A single Johnson & Johnson shot may indeed allow a somewhat larger number of mild Covid cases than two shots of Moderna or Pfizer. It’s hard to be sure. And it isn’t very important.

“The number that we should all truly care about is what are the chances I’m going to get this thing and get really sick or die,” Wachter said. After any of the three vaccines, he added, “There’s essentially no chance you will die of Covid, which is breathtaking.”

A final thought

Like most Americans, I have not yet been vaccinated. As I looked into the differences among the vaccines, I’ll confess that I had a self-involved thought: Maybe the overwrought concern about Johnson & Johnson means that its shots will go begging — and I will be able to get one sooner.

If so, I will say yes, without hesitation, and feel relieved.

In the meantime, I’d offer this advice to anybody ahead of me in line: If your turn comes and you are offered the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, accept what is rightfully yours. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the just as good.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Just read that this morning. Good stuff. :like:

Does it make you feel any better?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I hope more people don't want the J&J shot so I can go get it. IDGAF which one I get. The mRNA stuff is :notsure: but likely the future of immunization, so whatever. I just don't have much interest in multiple injections because it's proven to be too hard to track accurately. One and done, I'm in.

But I view this as I do the flu shot. It's not going to keep me from getting sick, but it's going to increase my chances of not getting severely ill and hopefully reduce long lasting side effects. I'm fine with that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:30 pm I hope more people don't want the J&J shot so I can go get it. IDGAF which one I get. The mRNA stuff is :notsure: but likely the future of immunization, so whatever. I just don't have much interest in multiple injections because it's proven to be too hard to track accurately. One and done, I'm in.

But I view this as I do the flu shot. It's not going to keep me from getting sick, but it's going to increase my chances of not getting severely ill and hopefully reduce long lasting side effects. I'm fine with that.
If you get ANY shot and then skip attending the Coca Cola 600 with Griff this year, you'll be fine.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:30 pm I hope more people don't want the J&J shot so I can go get it. IDGAF which one I get. The mRNA stuff is :notsure: but likely the future of immunization, so whatever. I just don't have much interest in multiple injections because it's proven to be too hard to track accurately. One and done, I'm in.

If you get ANY shot and then skip attending the Coca Cola 600 with Griff this year, you'll be fine.
I have zero desire to attend any events this year. I think they're going to be a shit show with distancing, masks, vaccine proof, etc, etc...I'm not that desperate, and I just don't see how big events will be fun. Hell, I watched an old dude sans mask berate a Home Depot employee the other day who asked him to put a mask on. I can't imagine what will happen at large events. Even if they don't require masks, they'll ask to check vaccine records or SOME sort of precautions that will result in :rolleyes: , no way they're just opening shit up. I've never been that into them, but particularly not now.

I'll be in the middle of lake MI on the boat or sitting in the wilderness for most of the summer, I don't think the virus transmits over water or via mosquito?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

He will be fine either way. Plenty of people have proven that. The over 65 crowd however... I'd stay the EFF home unless I had the the cancer cocktail.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:37 pm

He will be fine either way. Plenty of people have proven that. The over 65 crowd however... I'd stay the EFF home unless I had the the cancer cocktail.
52 is close enough to 65 that I'm out on live NASCAR.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I probably will actually go this year :lolol:

I will be well past my incubation period for my 'cancer shot' or whatever we are calling it and it's an outdoor event. I hope that events require proof of vaccination, but if I am safe from getting infected/infecting my loved ones, :aintcare: if a bunch of dumb NASCAR Trump Humpers die from COVID. More room for me on this planet.

What is funny is, IDGAF about NASCAR, I just want to get drunk with my friends and people watch, two things I really enjoy and haven't done in a year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Update on side effects for Max... none other than the sore arm day of the injection.

:tits: gets round two on Wednesday.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 am
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:47 pm

52 is close enough to 65 that I'm out on live NASCAR.
Have you ever been to an actual NASCAR event, though? It's really... something.
Yes. I have been to the usual event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, and I enjoyed it. I also have been to the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, which I liked even better. Just not this year.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:13 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 am

Have you ever been to an actual NASCAR event, though? It's really... something.
Yes. I have been to the usual event at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, and I enjoyed it. I also have been to the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona, which I liked even better. Just not this year.
Pomona is a 5/7 venue. I particularly enjoyed going to the swap meets. So much diversity in people/machinery, it's a great time.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:13 am

Pomona is a 5/7 venue. I particularly enjoyed going to the swap meets. So much diversity in people/machinery, it's a great time.
It is kind of strange to see so much California real estate devoted to public/race activities.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am
It is kind of strange to see so much California real estate devoted to public/race activities.
Not really, California is the nations biggest car market and traditionally housed the nations biggest car culture as well. In particular in so cal
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:15 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 am

Not really, California is the nations biggest car market and traditionally housed the nations biggest car culture as well. In particular in so cal
Regardless, it is a big ass space.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:00 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:15 am

We're the size of germany with 1/2 the population. And a lot of this was built up 30-60 years ago in the "golden" years when the state was even far less populated. The "space" situation has only been an issue over the last decade... and in Sea Locked SF.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:00 pm

We're the size of germany with 1/2 the population. And a lot of this was built up 30-60 years ago in the "golden" years when the state was even far less populated. The "space" situation has only been an issue over the last decade... and in Sea Locked SF.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:06 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:03 pm

It's not a big ass space in the middle of the desert. It's a big ass space in the middle of civilization not far from downtown LA. The property value alone has got to exceed that venue's 10 year operating profit. It makes no sense, but feels like a throwback to SoCal in the 50s/60s. It's great.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 pm

It's not a big ass space in the middle of the desert. It's a big ass space in the middle of civilization not far from downtown LA. The property value alone has got to exceed that venue's 10 year operating profit. It makes no sense, but feels like a throwback to SoCal in the 50s/60s. It's great.
Agreed.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 pm

LA is desert. The only reason it isn’t the water wars of the 1920s and the continuous destruction of this states northern water sources
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

5 weeks to freedom. :whocares:

ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:17 pm 5 weeks to freedom. :whocares:

:ohdang: Nice to hear from ya dude!
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I lurk some but am trying to only post when I have something positive to say.