OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:50 pm
D Griff wrote:We bought a couch made in NC for $1K at Big Lots that I actually really like a lot, but I can already see that it won't last all that long. I would assume $2-3k would be a sweet spot for something solid without breaking the bank? $13K is NUTS.
I paid $800ish for a leather couch with recliners on both ends from la-z-boy about 9 years ago. It's been moved 4 times and is still holding up just fine.
:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:50 pm
D Griff wrote:We bought a couch made in NC for $1K at Big Lots that I actually really like a lot, but I can already see that it won't last all that long. I would assume $2-3k would be a sweet spot for something solid without breaking the bank? $13K is NUTS.
I paid $800ish for a leather couch with recliners on both ends from la-z-boy about 9 years ago. It's been moved 4 times and is still holding up just fine.
:word: Well then hopefully this one we bought for around the same can go a decade as well. :doge: may accelerate that though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nothing should cost 13K that has neither a real estate tax assessment nor an internal combustion engine
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:37 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:35 pm Foot has been hurting me for months (Think I mentioned it) Got me a borked bone.
Current status: BOOT'D.
:ohdang:

How'd you manage to bork a bone? Any idea?
Just walking around.
Literally.

Was doing some good long walks at the beginning of the COVID outbreak, and it caused a fatigue fracture.
Really from improper footwear, I'll need to get more supportive shoes.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm Nothing should cost 13K that has neither a real estate tax assessment nor an internal combustion engine
Unless it was designed at the Bauhaus.
#modernismpurist
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:Nothing should cost 13K that has neither a real estate tax assessment nor an internal combustion engine
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm I had no damn idea what "RH" was until that last post.

There is one around here... it is in this ridiculously :fancy: :waxer: outdoor mall thing and has a rooftop patio. The building looks :neat: as hell, but thanks for letting me know to make sure :tits: never enters the place.
So, if you need furniture, you should see if there's an outlet around you. The :dill: s there are real, and furniture quality is fantastic plus :tits: can brag that you have RH stuff.

We've had a ton of RH stuff over the years, all purchased from the outlet for >50% off retail price. It's been ridiculously high quality stuff, including the couch we just bought that's :mindblown: comfy. I'll never complain about buying RH stuff from the outlet. The only downside is you're at the mercy of what the outlet has at the time you're there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

RH is some :waxer: shit. Ya'll are upscale AF
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:27 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:46 pm I had no damn idea what "RH" was until that last post.

There is one around here... it is in this ridiculously :fancy: :waxer: outdoor mall thing and has a rooftop patio. The building looks :neat: as hell, but thanks for letting me know to make sure :tits: never enters the place.
So, if you need furniture, you should see if there's an outlet around you. The :dill: s there are real, and furniture quality is fantastic plus :tits: can brag that you have RH stuff.

We've had a ton of RH stuff over the years, all purchased from the outlet for >50% off retail price. It's been ridiculously high quality stuff, including the couch we just bought that's :mindblown: comfy. I'll never complain about buying RH stuff from the outlet. The only downside is you're at the mercy of what the outlet has at the time you're there.
:notbad:

Our house is pretty full furniture-wise :doe: , 1100 sq. ft. fills pretty fast and fortunately :tits: is slightly minimalistic/hates cluttered spaces. We were actually talking about things this weekend and she mentioned that she prefers to buy cheaper items that she can replace because she likes the variety and enjoys the shopping process, etc. I would rather just buy a decent table (or insert any furniture piece) of good quality and keep it for the rest of my life. The same goes for most things, clothes, cookware, watches, you name it. I've always been sort of bothered by her purchase of low quality goods but at least now I somewhat understand the "why". She did correctly point out that we've lived together in three different places already and each one had somewhat different requirements as far as furnishings go. We will likely move again, so it's not ideal to have too much :waxer: into shit we won't end up using over the long haul.

I see a lot of value in stuff that I've had for a long time though, it makes for entertaining chats when I can say "I've had this coat since I was a sophomore in high school" or "I :remember: when I bought this Corvette at age 25". I also know my stuff inside and out which has value from a maintenance perspective and saving time.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Our house is pretty full furniture-wise :doe: , 1100 sq. ft. fills pretty fast and fortunately :tits: is slightly minimalistic/hates cluttered spaces. We were actually talking about things this weekend and she mentioned that she prefers to buy cheaper items that she can replace because she likes the variety and enjoys the shopping process, etc. I would rather just buy a decent table (or insert any furniture piece) of good quality and keep it for the rest of my life. The same goes for most things, clothes, cookware, watches, you name it. I've always been sort of bothered by her purchase of low quality goods but at least now I somewhat understand the "why". She did correctly point out that we've lived together in three different places already and each one had somewhat different requirements as far as furnishings go. We will likely move again, so it's not ideal to have too much :waxer: into shit we won't end up using over the long haul.

I see a lot of value in stuff that I've had for a long time though, it makes for entertaining chats when I can say "I've had this coat since I was a sophomore in high school" or "I :remember: when I bought this Corvette at age 25". I also know my stuff inside and out which has value from a maintenance perspective and saving time.
Yea, we buy stuff for each house for fit sadly. Like we spent $4k on an EPIC 10 foot couch from RH Outlet when we bought our last house. It was epic and made the living room and I was legit sad to leave it, but it was too big to fit in the new place. Luckily, the buyers wanted it and are paying $6k for it along with the 6' round RH dining table and 6 dining chairs (which we paid $2k for all that when we moved in so we're not losing a dime)...but that furniture has been incredibly solid and shown zero sign of wear over the last 3 years. The new couch we scored from RH outlet was $3k including taxes for a 9 foot down filled couch and is the most comfortable couch I've ever sat on. It fits perfect in the new living room and will be there as long as we own the house no question. My :tits: is really loyal to furniture when it's high quality, comfortable, and fits in a space. We've had cheap couches in the past, the RH stuff truly is in another league. I'm OK paying the price if it's comfy AF and stays around. I can't imagine furniture shopping for the same house on the regular, I'd go nuts. I'd rather spend $3k for a couch once than $1k for couches every few years for eternity. A comfy couch is really useful to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:41 pm RH is some :waxer: shit. Ya'll are upscale AF
The only piece we bought retail was the 6' round dining table, and it was on sale for $1k delivered. I'd never pay retail price otherwise...the outlet has fantastic deals. The couch we picked up this weekend was $2,800 with an MSRP of $6,300. While I actually think it's worth 6,300 (the fucker is stupid comfortable), I'd never pay that for it. The best is knowing it'll last a long time. I hate cheap furniture.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:37 pm

How'd you manage to bork a bone? Any idea?
Just walking around.
Literally.

Was doing some good long walks at the beginning of the COVID outbreak, and it caused a fatigue fracture.

I have garbage shoes. I should really consider better ones...this might motivate me actually.

Hope it heals quickly, man. I've heard foot injuries can take awhile and are annoying AF.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm Nothing should cost 13K that has neither a real estate tax assessment nor an internal combustion engine
#modernismpurist
Yeah if you are talking about actual investment grade furniture that's one thing but you're too cool for me.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:40 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:41 pm RH is some :waxer: shit. Ya'll are upscale AF
The only piece we bought retail was the 6' round dining table, and it was on sale for $1k delivered. I'd never pay retail price otherwise...the outlet has fantastic deals. The couch we picked up this weekend was $2,800 with an MSRP of $6,300. While I actually think it's worth 6,300 (the fucker is stupid comfortable), I'd never pay that for it. The best is knowing it'll last a long time. I hate cheap furniture.
I bought a mahogany side table for $100 on Craigslist... 🥴. We did spend $1600 on patio furniture
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:42 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Just walking around.
Literally.

I have garbage shoes. I should really consider better ones...this might motivate me actually.

Hope it heals quickly, man. I've heard foot injuries can take awhile and are annoying AF.
Yeah man, if you do any amount of standing/walking/running, get some good quality running shoes. It goes a really long way and is very cheap for the return you'll get from them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:44 pm

Yea, we buy stuff for each house for fit sadly. Like we spent $4k on an EPIC 10 foot couch from RH Outlet when we bought our last house. It was epic and made the living room and I was legit sad to leave it, but it was too big to fit in the new place. Luckily, the buyers wanted it and are paying $6k for it along with the 6' round RH dining table and 6 dining chairs (which we paid $2k for all that when we moved in so we're not losing a dime)...but that furniture has been incredibly solid and shown zero sign of wear over the last 3 years. The new couch we scored from RH outlet was $3k including taxes for a 9 foot down filled couch and is the most comfortable couch I've ever sat on. It fits perfect in the new living room and will be there as long as we own the house no question. My :tits: is really loyal to furniture when it's high quality, comfortable, and fits in a space. We've had cheap couches in the past, the RH stuff truly is in another league. I'm OK paying the price if it's comfy AF and stays around. I can't imagine furniture shopping for the same house on the regular, I'd go nuts. I'd rather spend $3k for a couch once than $1k for couches every few years for eternity. A comfy couch is really useful to me.
Most of the stuff she has :plac: has actually been profit or break even. We did the same when she sold her townhouse and actually got $300 for a couch she bought on CL for $100 and then used for over four years :lolol:

The couch at our old apartment was bought for $100 and then sold for $100, both on CL.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:08 pm
I bought a mahogany side table for $100 on Craigslist... 🥴. We did spend $1600 on patio furniture
This is more my speed. :tits: have their own desires :doe:

I also can't really deny her that whim, I mean, I bought a seat for my car for like $1K :lolol:

We all value different things.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:20 pm

#modernismpurist
Yeah if you are talking about actual investment grade furniture that's one thing but you're too cool for me.
There's no such thing as "investment grade furniture"...nobody pays anything for second hand furniture, regardless of brand.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Yeah man, if you do any amount of standing/walking/running, get some good quality running shoes. It goes a really long way and is very cheap for the return you'll get from them.
I hike all the time with my Fifa hiking shoes that were $20 at Costco. I get some pain after ~5 miles...I should buy some better ones but :scrooge:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:08 pm
Shit is expensive now, and furniture is unobtainium atm.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:18 pm

There's no such thing as "investment grade furniture"...nobody pays anything for second hand furniture, regardless of brand.
For this forum, no. There are a few exceptions..........Modernist shit that Melon was referring to that is not a reproduction. An ACTUAL Eames chair. And then super fancy antique stuff......actual French furniture from 1780.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm
For this forum, no. There are a few exceptions..........Modernist shit that Melon was referring to that is not a reproduction. An ACTUAL Eames chair. And then super fancy antique stuff......actual French furniture from 1780.
Ah yes the good ol Bugatti Type 35 vs Honda Accord convo.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I actually bought 180+ y/o french chairs carved, pegged and glued together and made from walnut wood. Really beautiful, but we painted them white to achieve the look we wanted and to avoid mismatched wood colors and grains. They are outperforming our kitchen chairs and feel remarkably sturdy compared to modern furniture. $800 for the set. On par with new craptastic chairs sold retail. Doesn't seem like much of an investment at this point, unless we are talking about never buying another set in this lifetime. :notsure:

Pics for attention:

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Knoll or Herman Miller doe.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:37 pm
:dat: