OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Oof... i think I am interviewing for a job in Spring Texas... :nope: this Friday. Too bad the skill set is nearly 100% a match.
max225

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Spring/1622-C ... e/32631895

Wow 300k gets you quite a bit there.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:38 pm
There are usually strict requirements about offsets from the road and/or design that make it either impossible or cost prohibitive to add on to the front. In my last hood, I saw a few ranches go 2 stories, that seemed to be more popular. Doesn't fix the garage problem :doe:

You'll rarely make out adding onto a house. It's honestly better to move unless you have some :unicorn: location.
:word:

Makes sense, I will still look into it if/when the time comes. Adding a second story is :waxer: and I'm not blowing six figures on this place unless that includes a nice garage. Location is great but not :unicorn: ... the trouble is that a house in this neighborhood with >1500 sq. ft. and a garage is $700K+.
Right...which is where if you feel you live in an ideal location and don't want to leave, it could make sense adding on some sq footage and garage...if that's possible.

There's specific property offset requirements for out buildings, you might end up putting the garage in the backyard, which as you noted is valuable living space to you.

The other issue is that garages are :waxer: to build and add minimal value to the house. You better REALLY want to stay put if you're dropping the coin for that. I want to build another garage on my property, but I need to feel more comfortable that we're in this place for the long haul before doing that because it's just money lit on fire.

And before people call me :wrong: I just sold a house with a brand new fucking garage, while the people who bought the house cared, very few who looked at it did. And those that did care, the house was out of their price range. It was probably too expensive for the people that bought it, even.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:03 pm Oof... i think I am interviewing for a job in Spring Texas... :nope: this Friday. Too bad the skill set is nearly 100% a match.
That was fast.

This morning: "I think I'll interview"
This afternoon: "Got an interview in 3 days..."

:lolol: nice work dude!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Texas provides a lot of value opportunity, but I personally have zero desire to live there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:07 pm Texas provides a lot of value opportunity, but I personally have zero desire to live there.
:dat: Especially Houston. That $300K house is nice, sure. But SF Bay Area mountain views and stuff to Houston suburbs? Dude... :nope:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:38 pm

:word:

Makes sense, I will still look into it if/when the time comes. Adding a second story is :waxer: and I'm not blowing six figures on this place unless that includes a nice garage. Location is great but not :unicorn: ... the trouble is that a house in this neighborhood with >1500 sq. ft. and a garage is $700K+.
Right...which is where if you feel you live in an ideal location and don't want to leave, it could make sense adding on some sq footage and garage...if that's possible.

There's specific property offset requirements for out buildings, you might end up putting the garage in the backyard, which as you noted is valuable living space to you.

The other issue is that garages are :waxer: to build and add minimal value to the house. You better REALLY want to stay put if you're dropping the coin for that. I want to build another garage on my property, but I need to feel more comfortable that we're in this place for the long haul before doing that because it's just money lit on fire.

And before people call me :wrong: I just sold a house with a brand new fucking garage, while the people who bought the house cared, very few who looked at it did. And those that did care, the house was out of their price range. It was probably too expensive for the people that bought it, even.
They do seem to add some value here given they are fairly rare, particularly in the best parts of the city. I think you're right :doe: , they won't add the $50-100K building one would be. I would be fine with like a $15K steel building deal, but :tits: got :triggered: reeaaallll quick when I suggested that :lolol: I'm sure the neighbors would as well :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:07 pm Texas provides a lot of value opportunity, but I personally have zero desire to live there.
:dat: Especially Houston. That $300K house is nice, sure. But SF Bay Area mountain views and stuff to Houston suburbs? Dude... :nope:
Exactly. Hell no.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 pm

They do seem to add some value here given they are fairly rare, particularly in the best parts of the city. I think you're right :doe: , they won't add the $50-100K building one would be. I would be fine with like a $15K steel building deal, but :tits: got :triggered: reeaaallll quick when I suggested that :lolol: I'm sure the neighbors would as well :lolol:
I should have said that they don't add the value they cost. They certainly add value, but you won't build a garage for less than $50k (especially these days), and no way it'll add $50k in value.

Bathrooms are the best bang for the buck add. People love them and will pay dearly for them. If I had put another full bathroom in our house, we easily could have sold for $50k more. Bathroom would have been $20k tops. I could have added 4 bathrooms for the cost of the garage, and it would have made the house one of the most desirable in the area. People are morons.

Oh well.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:02 pm

Dat stimmy money life ....
Please, $1200 checks aren't making that much of a difference.
What else changed in the microeconomics of central PA that all the sudden assigned 25% extra value on the properties?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:26 pm

What else changed in the microeconomics of central PA that all the sudden assigned 25% extra value on the properties?
Probably rich city folk from NYC and Philly moving there.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm
Probably rich city folk from NYC and Philly moving there.
Why would they move to central PA? Rich people are not moving into the middle of no where as far as I can tell.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I think its bit of a blip..... all those months where people who were "coming of age " to buy but didn't have sellers that were willing to put their house on the market in the throes of a pandemic.....
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:03 pm Oof... i think I am interviewing for a job in Spring Texas... :nope: this Friday. Too bad the skill set is nearly 100% a match.
Why are you interviewing for a job in Texas that you will never move to?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:00 pm

Exactly. Hell no.
Houston would require like a 5X pay upgrade.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:01 pm
Exactly. Hell no.
I would require at least 2.5X AND a job that seemed to be enjoyable with lots of PTO to consider Houston and Max is starting somewhere better than I am, IMO.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:22 pm

I would require at least 2.5X AND a job that seemed to be enjoyable with lots of PTO to consider Houston and Max is starting somewhere better than I am, IMO.
Houston sucks it hard no doubt.
ChrisoftheNorth

Exactly. Hell no.
No amount make me move to Houston.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:26 pm

No amount make me move to Houston.
Personal helicopter with unlimited use and a 70 foot Sportfisherman docked in Corpus Christi.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:00 pm
Why are you interviewing for a job in Texas that you will never move to?
Because I wasn't aware of the location because this company was founded in Palo Alto.
max225

Exactly. Hell no.
The house prices are 5x cheaper. :yikes: also 13% less tax.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:39 pm

Yeah square foot by square foot. But then your quadruple your square footage to try and eke out happiness after you realize you've moved to concrete Kabul.
The weather is ATROCIOUS, unless sweating to death appeals to you.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:49 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:39 pm
Yeah square foot by square foot. But then your quadruple your square footage to try and eke out happiness after you realize you've moved to concrete Kabul.
The weather is ATROCIOUS, unless sweating to death appeals to you.
Of freezing without electricity. :yikes:

That said I am fully aware of the woes of texas. And I am not one leave my Liberal Needle Infested Utopia, as my sig other will likely pop a head gasket at the thought alone.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

We can't afford utopia, but are trying to get into Florida instead. At least it's warm. This, or at least this neighborhood, is the top of the list at the moment:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2525 ... 0489_zpid/

Pfizer shots take effect in 5 weeks and our airbnb is booked 2 blocks from that house for April 12 - May 15. Depending on what happens between now and then, we'll either look at houses in person or be signing closing papers. Getting the office to sign off on 100% remote work is an ongoing battle but I'm not waiting any longer. I'm moving this year, alone if necessary.
Last edited by troyguitar on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:07 pm We can't afford utopia, but are trying to get into Florida instead. At least it's warm. This, or at least this neighborhood, is the top of the list at the moment:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2525 ... 0489_zpid/

Pfizer shots kick take effect in 5 weeks and our airbnb is booked 2 blocks from that house for April 12 - May 15. Depending on what happens between now and then, we'll either look at houses in person or be signing closing papers. Getting the office to sign off on 100% remote work is an ongoing battle but I'm not waiting any longer. I'm moving this year, alone if necessary.
:mahtroy:

We missed you.

That is a :nice: area, would live there as well. The house has access to all of the best :doge: bars as well apparently :millennial: :wtf: