OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:17 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:28 am

My experience with self-employment is really good. If there is a solid and real basis for a service you can provide and a person is willing to jump through the necessary hoops (tax preparation via a reputable accounting firm IMO), public exposure through word of mouth and advertising (if serving the public), and the ability to ride out droughts in some industries, then it is totally worth it. It is a challenge to start out though, income can be scarce. Somehow I managed to piggy-back onto some big players in my industry so I am essentially a cog in the wheel at this point and I benefit from consistent work. Best of both worlds minus the job security, pension or buy out protection if let go. :doit:
I'd love to be self employed, I just don't do anything marketable. I built a career so far around being a cog, and I've only realized that in the last year or so. :|
It seems like the people who do great out of the turn gates are those who offer basic services, plumbing, roofing, tiling, accounting, most things with a basic bitch role. They are all great ways to make a living :doe:

If things dried up for me I'd consider working for a small but well run company with a low level position and work through the necessary steps to get accredited over time. Five year game plan and then I'd plan to be on my own, website/cold calls/word of mouth, whatever it would take. It's a lot of work and time that most people aren't willing to sacrifice. I don't know what options there are for higher level roles, maybe Project Management often gets outsourced, :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:08 am

Well, they did say they were shutting off power to prevent more fire.
If this is true then I'm wondering what the plan is for electrifying all cars in the next 12(?) years? I need Brad to call me an idiot and tell me I don't know what I'm babbling about. :sad:
The plan is to force automakers to only sell EVs in the state and then let people and businesses figure out the infrastructure. Completely half-assed and prime for disaster.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Current situation ... sitting in the truk bed
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:21 am
I'd love to be self employed, I just don't do anything marketable. I built a career so far around being a cog, and I've only realized that in the last year or so. :|
Dunno, you seem quite handy with :haus: things. :iono:
Yea, but how does that translate into a gig? Handyman? I don't really want to be a contractor plus dealing with idiot people with varying demands on work quality would get really old.

We've thought about dabbling in house flipping...but that's risky and makes me :notsure: with the overall stress. Also thought about becoming a northern MI slumlord and buying cheap houses to rent...but that's a lot of dealing with crappy people that I'm not at all interested in.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:29 am Image
Not so worthless now huh?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:26 am
It seems like the people who do great out of the turn gates are those who offer basic services, plumbing, roofing, tiling, accounting, most things with a basic bitch role. They are all great ways to make a living :doe:

If things dried up for me I'd consider working for a small but well run company with a low level position and work through the necessary steps to get accredited over time. Five year game plan and then I'd plan to be on my own, website/cold calls/word of mouth, whatever it would take. It's a lot of work and time that most people aren't willing to sacrifice. I don't know what options there are for higher level roles, maybe Project Management often gets outsourced, :iono:
I'm OK simplifying things...that's kind of the point of my move to the north. Guess I need to think more about simple things I'd like to do.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:45 am
wap wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:28 pm :fuckyeah:
Just got a company-wide email from Bossbro telling us your full pay is being restored on our 11/13 paychecks!

It's gonna be :megusta: to get that 20% back.
:fuckyeah: Glad to hear it :mahman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:30 am
Last time I lost power I was able to run the fridge off this, and charge my phones in the cab.
If it gets really cold I hear you could hook a pipe up to the exhaust and pump the warm air into the house or an enclosed area.
max225

Yup, sitting there in the dark charging my uncharged phone with a hang over :disgust: of a morning
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:33 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:26 am

The harder part is going that far backwards in pay, and starting over, I think.

My dad did it - years in the restaurant business as chef, manager, and part owner, and gave it all up when my brother died because he realized life was too short to work such shitty hours.

Picked up a job in HVAC, and has worked his way to being the senior tech at his company, but is hamstrung by poor management. I've told him to go out on his own every time he brings up management issues, but there are specific challenges there: He's 60+ and it's VERY hard to find not only qualified workers, but reliable qualified workers. Then there's the whole problem of starting a business from scratch - equipment costs, advertising costs, managing said company, etc.

Sometimes it's just better to be the cog and put in your time.
Because of how I set myself up, I think that's going to be my goal. As I mentioned, if I can do my current gig remotely permanently, it's pretty tolerable from the new house. With the lower cost basis, I can work to save more, dabble in investing, and maybe get serious about retiring young. Then dabble in stuff like house work or whatever because the drop in pay won't be a huge deal.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:39 am
Yup, sitting there in the dark charging my uncharged phone with a hang over :disgust: of a morning
Oof.

Why is the power out anyway?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am
Because of how I set myself up, I think that's going to be my goal. As I mentioned, if I can do my current gig remotely permanently, it's pretty tolerable from the new house. With the lower cost basis, I can work to save more, dabble in investing, and maybe get serious about retiring young. Then dabble in stuff like house work or whatever because the drop in pay won't be a huge deal.
Not a bad move. Use your current gig to support yourself while you set up the next move (stonks).
I suck at that stuff, but also haven't paid a ton of attention to it. If I built up enough cash to just plug into index funds or more conservative stuff, that could work. I'm not looking to be rich, just comfortable.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:42 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am
Oof.

Electrical lines causing fires or something in high winds. :iono: :science:
He claims that's not it.

:hibachi:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:12 am

I feel like, but I don’t have the actual evidence to prove, if you approach the corporate environment with a more :aintcare: attitude, it actually has some psychological effect where people take you more seriously.

:tits: worked at a small office in VA before we moved to TX. She was the only one that spoke up in meetings (with obvious substance) especially when it came time to disagree with the company owner. Everyone else was like “F that I like my paycheck”. But the owner actually took a liking to her because she wasn’t just “complaining” and it meant she cared about the company. The owner brought her in as an adviser and when preggo relocation happened :tits: was the first and only person approved for WFH from out of state. That lasted until the ‘Vid since they all had to WFH and they parted ways amicably.

I think if you have the “I don’t need this job mentality” without being completely reckless, it might work in your benefit.
Depends entirely on the organization. My direct boss was demoted from a director level job according to many people because he was too vocal/critical of mgmt decisions. The guy's an ass and deserves the demotion for other reasons, but people just do not speak up out of fear in my company.

I spoke up a lot at my last company, which built me a pretty solid rep there. Didn't get me anywhere, but in hindsight I had a surprising amount of authority there likely as a result of my passion and speaking up.

I also think smaller orgs can value that approach greater than big ones.
:dat:
We're a small company (80-ish employees iirc) and my bossbro welcomes dissenting opinions and often makes the point to us on the management team that company decisions are made collaboratively. Except for the financial ones that are done behind closed doors.

It's rather nice to know your opinion will be heard, even if not ultimately taken.
max225

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:39 am

Oof.

No idea. Power company didn’t say.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:10 am
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:47 am

Right and you quit for a reason and the job as you mentioned wouldn’t exist today. I do what I do because I value the security etc. at the end of the day you don’t go to work for FUN. That’s not how it works
:dat: I go to work so that I can afford to bodybuild and spend money on other hobbies.
Working to live. :megusta:

That's so not the Murican way, :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

When we moved to Northern MI, I was worried about power and internet service issues.

Both have proven to be more reliable up here than down state. We constantly lost power from trees hitting lines, and internet dropping for hours for reasons nobody could explain. Up here, not a single service disruption at all. Buried power lines are 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:44 am
Oof.

No idea. Power company didn’t say.
:rolleyes: That's annoying.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:10 am

:dat: I go to work so that I can afford to bodybuild and spend money on other hobbies.
Working to live. :megusta:

That's so not the Murican way, :doe:
It's not, but it's increasingly appealing to me.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:47 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:43 am
I suck at that stuff, but also haven't paid a ton of attention to it. If I built up enough cash to just plug into index funds or more conservative stuff, that could work. I'm not looking to be rich, just comfortable.
Download Robinhood and just play with it. The wife started doing this and she's definitely better for it. It seems to be very intuitive.
:notbad: maybe blow $5k or something to feel out stuff. I think now is a terrible time to invest in general, but it could be a good time to learn the ropes a bit.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:28 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:15 am

I've looked and applied to other jobs, but nothing has come to fruition. Honestly, I've been considering more and more about starting a shop on my own and leaving the corporate environment altogether.
My experience with self-employment is really good. If there is a solid and real basis for a service you can provide and a person is willing to jump through the necessary hoops (tax preparation via a reputable accounting firm IMO), public exposure through word of mouth and advertising (if serving the public), and the ability to ride out droughts in some industries, then it is totally worth it. It is a challenge to start out though, income can be scarce. Somehow I managed to piggy-back onto some big players in my industry so I am essentially a cog in the wheel at this point and I benefit from consistent work. Best of both worlds minus the job security, pension or buy out protection if let go. :doit:
You also have the added benefit up there in Canukistan of not having to self fund your health insurance, no?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:41 am

Not a bad move. Use your current gig to support yourself while you set up the next move (stonks).
Our index shit is making us exactly zero dollars.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:11 am

If this is true then I'm wondering what the plan is for electrifying all cars in the next 12(?) years? I need Brad to call me an idiot and tell me I don't know what I'm babbling about. :sad:
:lol:

Bottom line is, the infrastructure in the US is woefully in need of help. Roads, bridges, electrical grids, plumbing. We have stuff in service that wasn't meant to still be in service today.

But hey, let's spend money on tactical shovels instead of public works projects. :neek:
:dat: :|
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 am
He claims that's not it.

But it is?

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/o ... -psps.page

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bre ... se/534818/
Dude I actually live here, no this is not it, I stated it 2 times already. I’m not in a shut off area. Some issue that is affecting 94 homes that’s all I know.

Now I can’t join a very important meeting with 32 people to set goals for the coming year for part of the business that I manage. :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 am
He claims that's not it.

But it is?

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residential/o ... -psps.page

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bre ... se/534818/
:iono: