OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:42 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:17 am
I don't. The state is a very diverse state. If you only knew the Detroit area (which that's all most know), it could easily be the #1 most hated. There's very little redeeming qualities there.

If more people knew the West, North, and UP, it would be high up on the opposite list IMO.
That's exactly my point, and why I disagree with the list. I've been through the UP and upper LP and it's 5/7. I was making a personal observation.
Oh yeah. Personally, I think it's a top 5 state. But like you, I've experienced all the state has to offer to realize how cool it is. Most just go to or live in the Detroit area and write off the entire state.

Grand Rapids is growing, and hopefully more people experience that city and area of the state to realize it's 5/7. Or take a trip north... along the NW...Cadillac to Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor springs, to the bridge, it's an incredible region like nothing I've seen anywhere else.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:55 am
wap wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:42 am
That's exactly my point, and why I disagree with the list. I've been through the UP and upper LP and it's 5/7. I was making a personal observation.
Oh yeah. Personally, I think it's a top 5 state. But like you, I've experienced all the state has to offer to realize how cool it is. Most just go to or live in the Detroit area and write off the entire state.

Grand Rapids is growing, and hopefully more people experience that city and area of the state to realize it's 5/7. Or take a trip north... along the NW...Cadillac to Traverse City, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor springs, to the bridge, it's an incredible region like nothing I've seen anywhere else.
:word:
I've driven through/around GR, but never spent any time there. It'll go on the list.

Have you been to northern Wisconsin or northern Minnesota? Those upper Great Lakes coastal areas/towns all have a similar culture and vibe to the UP. Really :neat: places to visit. Good local food, beers, sceneries, histories, etc. Our trip to Duluth, MN/Superior, WI was one of the most enjoyable domestic vacations we've done to date.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:27 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 pm

Very much a love it or hate it state. :lolol:
Disagree with MeatChicken being so high. Indiana should be higher.
I'll bite. What's wrong with Indiana?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:05 pm

What's right about it is the better question.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Serious question.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Flat. Boring AF to drive through, with even the farmlands views spoiled with endless billboards and other roadside detritus. The Gary area literally stinks for miles from the steel mills. Your nose will tell you when you've entered NW Indiana before any road sign. Mike Pence was the governor so it's full of :thankstrump: idiots. They have a ... laissez faire attitude about environmental protections around their Lake Michigan coastline with power plants, refineries, and rusty, crumbling infrastructure for miles. Just so much :disgust:

When we drive south, instead of taking the more direct route through Indiana we'll go through Illinois because of the lack of most of the problems I just outlined. The extra 60-90 minutes or so it adds to a trip to the SE is worth it.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:55 am

I've driven through/around GR, but never spent any time there. It'll go on the list.

Have you been to northern Wisconsin or northern Minnesota? Those upper Great Lakes coastal areas/towns all have a similar culture and vibe to the UP. Really :neat: places to visit. Good local food, beers, sceneries, histories, etc. Our trip to Duluth, MN/Superior, WI was one of the most enjoyable domestic vacations we've done to date.
Oh man, GR is a close drive for you and certainly worth the trip! Downtown is really nice with a lot of cool stuff going on. The meijer gardens outside of the city is a massive sculpture garden that's fun to get lost in for an afternoon. It's a 5/7 region.

I haven't been to WI much at all, but just yesterday we were talking about a trip. Either through the UP or take the ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc.
wap

:lol: :dat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:21 pm

Oh man, GR is a close drive for you and certainly worth the trip! Downtown is really nice with a lot of cool stuff going on. The meijer gardens outside of the city is a massive sculpture garden that's fun to get lost in for an afternoon. It's a 5/7 region.

I haven't been to WI much at all, but just yesterday we were talking about a trip. Either through the UP or take the ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc.
Interesting.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:20 pm

Flat. Boring AF to drive through, with even the farmlands views spoiled with endless billboards and other roadside detritus. The Gary area literally stinks for miles from the steel mills. Your nose will tell you when you've entered NW Indiana before any road sign. Mike Pence was the governor so it's full of :thankstrump: idiots. They have a ... laissez faire attitude about environmental protections around their Lake Michigan coastline with power plants, refineries, and rusty, crumbling infrastructure for miles. Just so much :disgust:

When we drive south, instead of taking the more direct route through Indiana we'll go through Illinois because of the lack of most of the problems I just outlined. The extra 60-90 minutes or so it adds to a trip to the SE is worth it.
Got it.
ChrisoftheNorth

:dat:

And I've spent a bit of time in Indianapolis... it's ok. Lots of sprawl, boring. The older parts of the city were :neat: but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit. If I'm driving down that far, I'm going to Louisville.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:21 pm

We have friends in Trenton. We've met up with them in Cleveland (an underrated city, IMO) before. Sounds like we need to plan a :meat: up with them in GR post covid.

Oh man, either of those trips sound 5/7, especially the ferry. I believe it's the last coal-fired ferry still running on the Great Lakes so you should hop a ride before it goes away. Manitowoc is a :neat: town with some excellent B&B's and an interesting maritime museum (they built submarines there during WWII) if that's your thing. It's also a relatively short drive down the coast to Kohler, the bathroom fittings and faucets company, who have a :waxer: spa in town. We've talked about spending a weekend there but haven't gotten around to it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have been to four Notre Dame football games in South Bend, and those are the only times I have set foot in IN.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I probably drove through Gary, but I was likely in a passenger seat inebriated.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:23 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 pm When I was in high school I wanted to move to New Jersey. A lot of bands I was listening to were coming out of there and it had a decent skateboard scene at the time.
A lot of the pop punk/emo scene really centered around Philly, NJ, and NYC/Longuysland.

I feel shame that I never went to the Warped Tour stop in NJ.
I took my (then 15 year old) son to the 2013 tour stop outside Baltimore. I was probably the oldest mf'er there but I had a good time and caught some really good bands. I was also impressed with how well organized it was and how well behaved the crowd of mostly teenagers and early 20 somethings were.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm

And I've spent a bit of time in Indianapolis... it's ok. Lots of sprawl, boring. The older parts of the city were :neat: but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit. If I'm driving down that far, I'm going to Louisville.
I've lived within 3 hours of Indianapolis my whole long life and never once bothered to visit it :lol: . Driven through and around it probably 2 dozen times but never really interested in stopping, not even for a meal.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

The small towns completely lack charm, there's shit topography except in certain parts of the southern half of the state, and the only real city in the state is a big, sprawling mess that was completely gutted by highways and "urban renewal" following WW2. The southern part of the state is also pretty unlivable because it's filled with people who behave like Indiana fought with the confederacy. There are some decent parts of Indianapolis - I genuinely enjoyed our old neighborhood - but those places are few and far between.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm I have been to four Notre Dame football games in South Bend, and those are the only times I have set foot in IN.
Likely the ONLY thing (marginally) worth doing in the entire state.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:28 pm I probably drove through Gary, but I was likely in a passenger seat inebriated.
If you didn't notice the stench you were either not driving through Gary or were :drunk: out of your mind.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm

I've lived within 3 hours of Indianapolis my whole long life and never once bothered to visit it :lol: . Driven through and around it probably 2 dozen times but never really interested in stopping, not even for a meal.
I will say, Indianapolis has a pretty underrated food scene. There are a ton of great independent restaurants here and some really active restauranteurs that at least try to make this place interesting.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm I have been to four Notre Dame football games in South Bend, and those are the only times I have set foot in IN.
:nope:

If you're coming to Indiana and want to do one thing, it's visit Brown County Sate Park.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:34 pm

If you're coming to Indiana and want to do one thing, it's visit Brown County Sate Park.
Go on.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:30 pm

The small towns completely lack charm, there's shit topography except in certain parts of the southern half of the state, and the only real city in the state is a big, sprawling mess that was completely gutted by highways and "urban renewal" following WW2. The southern part of the state is also pretty unlivable because it's filled with people who behave like Indiana fought with the confederacy. There are some decent parts of Indianapolis - I genuinely enjoyed our old neighborhood - but those places are few and far between.
Sad to say, Illinois has this same affliction downstate also.
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:34 pm

I sit corrected.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have friends who attend the Indy 500 on the reg.