OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 am https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79-C ... e=txtshare

Going to see if we can get in to check this place out. :jimp:
:nice:
Good luck dude!
Looks like a nice piece of property, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 am https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79-C ... e=txtshare

That property is nice! That would be a $1.3MM dollar house anywhere around me. :sad:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 am

Gorgeous area of NJ right there.
:dat:

30 Minutes from New Hope, PA..... great little town ..... its where wife and I became wife and I.....
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:37 am
Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:35 am

30 Minutes from New Hope, PA..... great little town ..... its where wife and I became wife and I.....
I ride up and down the Delaware river all the time, some of the best backroads and scenery around.
I’m going to need a road/gravel bike...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:37 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:14 am

That property is nice! That would be a $1.3MM dollar house anywhere around me. :sad:
...really? :dafuq:
Absolutely, it's messed. I'd attach some screen shots but I'm having trouble posting them. The regional average for all homes is above 1MM right now. :disgust:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:47 am
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:42 am

I’m going to need a road/gravel bike...
Yes, yes you will. You'll also have to learn to love hills - some of the best climbs in NJ are right there. Adamic, Pinchers Point, and Shire.
:like:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This place looks fantastic! :megusta:

Love that open space, I find that to be immensely relaxing...just being in that environment. I don't know the local area, but it seems like it's very reasonably priced.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish

Yeah, any less than an hour commute and I'd jump at the chance to live there....

What town do you work in 'Pex?
Apex

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:00 pm Yeah, any less than an hour commute and I'd jump at the chance to live there....

I work in Iselin, NJ.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm
This place looks fantastic! :megusta:

Love that open space, I find that to be immensely relaxing...just being in that environment. I don't know the local area, but it seems like it's very reasonably priced.
Seems very reasonable, even the taxes. :notbad:
Are taxes reassessed after a property sale in NJ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:13 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 pm

Seems very reasonable, even the taxes. :notbad:
:iono:
Irish

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:05 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:00 pm Yeah, any less than an hour commute and I'd jump at the chance to live there....

I work in Iselin, NJ.
Looks to be about an hour... though traffic might be a bit brutal going in.....

We used to live in Succasunna NJ and wife commuted to Lyndhurst. That was about 45 minutes.

Can you bus or train?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:18 pm
You should find out just so you know.

In MI, taxes are only assessed when a house is sold and purchased, and taxes can only go up by the amount of inflation or less year to year if you didn't do major work to the property or sell it. It's common to buy a house and have the property taxes double the year after you bought it, especially if purchasing from a long time owner. It's a nasty and very unpleasant surprise. Important to work into your affordability calc when buying a house here. We had some friends STRETCH into a house, the tax bill doubled the next year, and they were house poor. It's a really shitty system IMO, and I'm not sure many states follow it.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:52 pm
They are, but house was last sold in 2010 for $280k, so taxes likely wouldn't increase much.

They also reassess any time a permit is completed.

So yeah, the back deck and porch improvements to le :haus: du [user not found] have screwed me slightly. Hard to get around them though, very visible work.
Oh, I didn't look at that. Great point :notbad:

This property really seems 5/7. Hope 'pex gets the chance to check it out!
Irish

An assessor is not allowed to reassess
property based only on its recent sale. That is
"spot assessing." The Supreme Court decision,
Township of West Milford v. Gerald and
Juanita Van Decker, affirmed: "The practice of
reassessing properties solely because those
properties have been sold in the previous year
is unconstitutional because it shifts the tax
burden to new owners in the municipality."

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxati ... ssment.pdf
ChrisoftheNorth

They are, but house was last sold in 2010 for $280k, so taxes likely wouldn't increase much.

So yeah, the back deck and porch improvements to le :haus: du [user not found] have screwed me slightly. Hard to get around them though, very visible work.
Catching the rest...

Same in MI. The garage SCREWED me at the last house. Tax bill increased by 1k/year even though I replaced a falling down eye sore hazard. The fact that you effectively get penalized for improving the safety of your property (especially in your case) is :rage:

Safety repairs should get a pass, but I know they don't. It's why people try to do things unpermitted, which can often lead to shitty work being performed.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:55 pm

We have appointments tomorrow night to look at that and another property.

:notsure: on what the mortgage will qualify me for, so these might be a bit of a stretch solely off of me. But good to get out and looking.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:01 pm

An assessor is not allowed to reassess
property based only on its recent sale. That is
"spot assessing." The Supreme Court decision,
Township of West Milford v. Gerald and
Juanita Van Decker, affirmed: "The practice of
reassessing properties solely because those
properties have been sold in the previous year
is unconstitutional because it shifts the tax
burden to new owners in the municipality."

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxati ... ssment.pdf
Interesting.

So that also means that property tax increases aren't capped and can fluctuate however the assessor feels. I actually agree with that more, the penalty of having your taxes skyrocket because you bought a house is :bs: but at the same time, my property tax bill will barely increase as long as I live here. Incentive to stay put, but just as stated there, puts unnecessary burden on new home buyers.

We paid $12k in property taxes at our last house in the city. Our neighbors who bought their house in 1972 paid $4k for a house that was in much better shape and similar size and got all the same services. How the hell is that fair?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:55 pm

:notsure: on what the mortgage will qualify me for, so these might be a bit of a stretch solely off of me. But good to get out and looking.
I find looking at houses kind of fun, so I might not be the right person to comment, but I think it's a great idea for you to look at a bunch of different places even if you aren't ready to pull the trigger. You'll start to find certain areas more desirable than others (for various reasons) and that will go far in helping you narrow down the search. This is a purchase worth taking time to decide on, and it's easy to feel the pressure because things move so fast right now. There will always be another house.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:12 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm

I find looking at houses kind of fun, so I might not be the right person to comment, but I think it's a great idea for you to look at a bunch of different places even if you aren't ready to pull the trigger. You'll start to find certain areas more desirable than others (for various reasons) and that will go far in helping you narrow down the search. This is a purchase worth taking time to decide on, and it's easy to feel the pressure because things move so fast right now. There will always be another house.

Also got the green light from my bosses that I can wfh more if needed to look at places. :notbad:
Irish

Yeah... regardless of the "rules" in the real world if they discover that a house hasn't been assessed in a long time they will adjust it and the latest owner gets screwed......

I have heard many stories like this, especially in Jersey. But in this case (As [user not found] mentioned) the house was last sold in 2010 (for only about 5% less than they're asking now) so there shouldn't be any major surprises.....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:16 pm Yeah... regardless of the "rules" in the real world if they discover that a house hasn't been assessed in a long time they will adjust it and the latest owner gets screwed......

I have heard many stories like this, especially in Jersey. But in this case (As [user not found] mentioned) the house was last sold in 2010 (for only about 5% less than they're asking now) so there shouldn't be any major surprises.....
Moral of the story is to pay attention to the property taxes when looking at houses for the full financial picture. This property is probably a best case scenario for tax stability, but others might not be. If the taxes look too cheap, and it hasn't been sold in a while or the assessment looks really low, expect some increases in the future.

Nothing is more heart breaking than falling in love with every aspect of a property, only to be taken by surprise by tax assessment :bs: later. Really puts a damper on a new place (it did for me multiple times).
Irish

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:21 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:16 pm Yeah... regardless of the "rules" in the real world if they discover that a house hasn't been assessed in a long time they will adjust it and the latest owner gets screwed......

Moral of the story is to pay attention to the property taxes when looking at houses for the full financial picture. This property is probably a best case scenario for tax stability, but others might not be. If the taxes look too cheap, and it hasn't been sold in a while or the assessment looks really low, expect some increases in the future.

Nothing is more heart breaking than falling in love with every aspect of a property, only to be taken by surprise by tax assessment :bs: later. Really puts a damper on a new place (it did for me multiple times).
For sure..... the taxes are pretty ridic in the more populated areas of NJ. My father in law is paying almost three times the taxes that the owner of this house is..... and he only lives ~ 65 miles away and his house is only worth about 25% more.

I have often said that once you have paid property taxes for so long, you should get a break past a certain age. My grandmother paid propery taxes for 50 years and by the end of her life they had almost taxed her out of her home.... She certainly had to "do without" in order to pay them and no 80+ year old should have to be subject to that after "paying in" for so long..... its a travesty.....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:21 pm

For sure..... the taxes are pretty ridic in the more populated areas of NJ. My father in law is paying almost three times the taxes that the owner of this house is..... and he only lives ~ 65 miles away and his house is only worth about 25% more.

I have often said that once you have paid property taxes for so long, you should get a break past a certain age. My grandmother paid propery taxes for 50 years and by the end of her life they had almost taxed her out of her home.... She certainly had to "do without" in order to pay them and no 80+ year old should have to be subject to that after "paying in" for so long..... its a travesty.....
It's that last concern that caused MI to pass the initiative to cap tax increases. Stay in your house and your taxes won't go up by more than inflation each year. It's beneficial for sure, but can really screw over people buying because if you don't know to accommodate for the potential increase when buying a new house, you can be facing a shocking tax increase.

It's extremely location dependent though like you said. We just got the assessment for our new house, and the assessor barely changed the value from before. We're taxed at quite a bit under what we paid, and I think quite a bit under the market. I'm certainly not complaining because that means my tax bill is lower than I assumed (what I calc'd with assessment @ purchase price), but compared to the bigger cities where I've seen bills double, it's a pleasant surprise...and it's going to stay that way as long as we live here and don't add on too much.

This is just another good consideration for choosing a location. Pay attention to taxes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That is an awesome house! I love the open, green, area. It's funny, people love trashing on NJ but the western parts are gorgeous.

:jelly: of dem :haus: prices.