Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:42 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Just walking around.
Literally.

Was doing some good long walks at the beginning of the COVID outbreak, and it caused a fatigue fracture.
Really from improper footwear, I'll need to get more supportive shoes.
:ohdang:

I have garbage shoes. I should really consider better ones...this might motivate me actually.

Hope it heals quickly, man. I've heard foot injuries can take awhile and are annoying AF.
He suggested lace up over the ankle hiking boots for yardwork, which makes sense, and Brooks for regular wear.

He also suggested New Balance 928 model. Cool number, right? :wrong:

:bruh: :nope:

So, I'll be doing my own independent research. As this is a fairly common thing to happen, I'm confident I can find proper footwear.
He suggested to stay away from Nike, or Adidas, they don't have enough support. I'll still keep my Sambas thank you very much.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

What's wrong with a plain black shoe?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:43 pm What's wrong with a plain black shoe?
They sell it in Velcro as well.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 pm

I have garbage shoes. I should really consider better ones...this might motivate me actually.

Hope it heals quickly, man. I've heard foot injuries can take awhile and are annoying AF.
He suggested lace up over the ankle hiking boots for yardwork, which makes sense, and Brooks for regular wear.

So, I'll be doing my own independent research. As this is a fairly common thing to happen, I'm confident I can find proper footwear.
He suggested to stay away from Nike, or Adidas, they don't have enough support. I'll still keep my Sambas thank you very much.
My mom had plantar fasciitis and some other stuff going on with her feet a few years back.. her podiatrist recommended New Balance as well. Don’t think it needs to specifically that 928 model.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:49 pm

They sell it in Velcro as well.
Do they make it in fiberglass, with pop-up headlights?
:jimp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Indeed :neat: and would be super cool in the right house (mind included), but I still don't think there's anything "investment grade" in them other than for your own personal enjoyment forever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:13 pm I actually bought 180+ y/o french chairs carved, pegged and glued together and made from walnut wood. Really beautiful, but we painted them white to achieve the look we wanted and to avoid mismatched wood colors and grains. They are outperforming our kitchen chairs and feel remarkably sturdy compared to modern furniture. $800 for the set. On par with new craptastic chairs sold retail. Doesn't seem like much of an investment at this point, unless we are talking about never buying another set in this lifetime. :notsure:

Pics for attention:

Wow, those look great.

When we bought our first house in Detroit, we bought an "antique' dining set that as far as we could tell was built around the turn of the century. Was really nice stuff, but the chairs needed constant attention to stay tight. I probably should have rebuilt them, but I didn't have time for that. We ended up selling them for what we paid so :notbad: after a few years of use.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm lazy and hate tying shoes. Most of my shoes are the slip on variety, including boots. BUT, I can see lacing up over the ankle being very important...I should look into this for hiking.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:53 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:13 pm I actually bought 180+ y/o french chairs carved, pegged and glued together and made from walnut wood. Really beautiful, but we painted them white to achieve the look we wanted and to avoid mismatched wood colors and grains. They are outperforming our kitchen chairs and feel remarkably sturdy compared to modern furniture. $800 for the set. On par with new craptastic chairs sold retail. Doesn't seem like much of an investment at this point, unless we are talking about never buying another set in this lifetime. :notsure:

Pics for attention:

Wow, those look great.

When we bought our first house in Detroit, we bought an "antique' dining set that as far as we could tell was built around the turn of the century. Was really nice stuff, but the chairs needed constant attention to stay tight. I probably should have rebuilt them, but I didn't have time for that. We ended up selling them for what we paid so :notbad: after a few years of use.
Thanks I really think they are original, works really well with my spiral staircase which has a very similar semi-gloss paint on the spindles and within eyeshot of the table. The kitchen chairs we have are way more comfortable but can't seem to keep themselves together. I'm not sure if I want to pour some wood glue on the seams or just let them tear themselves apart and get new ones eventually. They are designed to have threaded metal anchors in the body and a bolt passes through the legs to affix them to the body. Slowly but surely the anchors are tearing themselves out of the wooden holes that they were hammered into. Can't beat the woodworking craftsmanship of actual skilled labor of the past.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 am

I'm lazy and hate tying shoes. Most of my shoes are the slip on variety, including boots. BUT, I can see lacing up over the ankle being very important...I should look into this for hiking.
:millennial:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:27 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:54 am
:millennial: and :wap: United by the velcro straps.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:35 pm Foot has been hurting me for months (Think I mentioned it) Got me a borked bone.
Current status: BOOT'D.
:ohdang: did you get it checked up? Does that happen continuously and progressively getting worse and worse.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 am

:dat:

I don't have any velcro shoes, should look for some. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:27 am
Wow, those look great.

Thanks I really think they are original, works really well with my spiral staircase which has a very similar semi-gloss paint on the spindles and within eyeshot of the table. The kitchen chairs we have are way more comfortable but can't seem to keep themselves together. I'm not sure if I want to pour some wood glue on the seams or just let them tear themselves apart and get new ones eventually. They are designed to have threaded metal anchors in the body and a bolt passes through the legs to affix them to the body. Slowly but surely the anchors are tearing themselves out of the wooden holes that they were hammered into. Can't beat the woodworking craftsmanship of actual skilled labor of the past.
Furniture used to be built much more solidly because they didn't have other options to cheap out. It's incredible how disposable furniture has become...we've had failures in the exact same manner as you describe and there's not a whole lot you can do to fix it, really.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 am

don't forget the lights flickering when you step
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
SAWCE

Starting to get down into the 50s overnight. Sleeping feels so good now. Waking up sucks balls doe.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:Starting to get down into the 50s overnight. Sleeping feels so good now. Waking up sucks balls doe.
:pussy:
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:16 am
SAWCE wrote:Starting to get down into the 50s overnight. Sleeping feels so good now. Waking up sucks balls doe.
:pussy:
Come cuddle me.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:27 am
Wow, those look great.

:dat:
My living room and entrance hall - are full of old pieces - tables, book case, secretary desk, hall tree, that are around 100 or more years old, and my dining room set is over 90 YO, and they all function as well as they did when new. :notbad: life span.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

It's 34* out and snowing for the second day in a row. Too soon. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:14 am :ohdang: did you get it checked up? Does that happen continuously and progressively getting worse and worse.
Yeah, yesterday.
It's been hurting since April. :sad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:37 am Starting to get down into the 50s overnight. Sleeping feels so good now. Waking up sucks balls doe.
Best part of waking up is, is :melon: in your cup.

:hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am kind of a shoe guy/geek... I think because I did K-12 at Catholic School and shoes were the only non- mandated item, I have always enjoyed them, so I will speak up here.

Boots-wise, yes, support over the ankle can make a huge difference, especially when you're working with strange ankle angles, on uneven terrain, etc. I have some Columbia boots I bought at their outlet that have been great for me so far, they are nice in that they are a bit of sneaker-feel but still offer the ankle support and increased traction.

Running/walking wise I would second that Brooks are some of the best, I'm on my second pair of their running shoes and they are excellent. I have also had good results with Aasics and New Balance. Nike and Addidas are fashion brands, I would avoid for longer walks/time on your feet, save them for style when you won't be doing a ton of walking. Same with Vans, I own a couple pairs and love the look, but they are garbage on your feet. I really like Etnies Jameson Eco 2 for a nice looking skate shoe similar to Vans but is actually comfy and can be walked in over long distances.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:52 am It's 34* out and snowing for the second day in a row. Too soon. :disgust:
:disgust:

High in the 70s here today. I went on a bike ride this AM and was pretty pleasant in shorts and a jersey with long sleeve base shirt underneath.