OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Just had a "fun" conversation with the wife about New York and how fucking stupid it is to be here... She's not dumb but it seems like I've been trying to point this shit out for 2 years and she still doesn't fully understand it. Nor does anyone else who lives here, apparently.

Sometimes I hate being the only person around who can do math. What good is knowledge if no one else wants to hear it?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 pm Just had a "fun" conversation with the wife about New York and how fucking stupid it is to be here... She's not dumb but it seems like I've been trying to point this shit out for 2 years and she still doesn't fully understand it. Nor does anyone else who lives here, apparently.

Sometimes I hate being the only person around who can do math. What good is knowledge if no one else wants to hear it?
Hey I was thinking that you'd probably have an easy time pumping out a community college degree online. Have you ever thought about giving it a try? Winter is long, it might be a :neat:way to pass time and you and your wife can legit benefit from the effort.
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:03 pm Just had a "fun" conversation with the wife about New York and how fucking stupid it is to be here... She's not dumb but it seems like I've been trying to point this shit out for 2 years and she still doesn't fully understand it. Nor does anyone else who lives here, apparently.

Hey I was thinking that you'd probably have an easy time pumping out a community college degree online. Have you ever thought about giving it a try? Winter is long, it might be a :neat:way to pass time and you and your wife can legit benefit from the effort.
It's been on my list and I should probably do it.

I've actually been one course short of a BA in math for about 10 years. Dunno if the local CC offers that course (which is in public speaking, not math) or not but I should probably find out and get it done just to say that I did it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:27 pm
Tarspin wrote:
It's been on my list and I should probably do it.

I've actually been one course short of a BA in math for about 10 years. Dunno if the local CC offers that course (which is in public speaking, not math) or not but I should probably find out and get it done just to say that I did it.
That sounds kind of fun and might help with the rock band goals.

I'm still playing catch up in so many other avenues in life that extra school isn't going to be easy but I want to do some coding C+/VB etc and some 3D modelingto pass time if things get slow. My ultimate interest is in Economics and i think i could have fun with it. Seems so abstract nowadays 🤣

Gotta stay busy and engaged now that the weather is going to shit.
troyguitar

We'll see how I feel as the winter goes on, but for now my plan is to continue biking and muzaking regardless of the weather. It sucks for 9 months a year, I can't afford to hibernate that long.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 pm We'll see how I feel as the winter goes on, but for now my plan is to continue biking and muzaking regardless of the weather. It sucks for 9 months a year, I can't afford to hibernate that long.
:jelly: I suck at muzaking because no talent or tone differentiation skills. If work dries up I'll set aside an hour to two a day to picking that skill.

Wave two might become a somewhat big deal. Who knows.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:03 pm
wap wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:00 pm

:notbad:
Supposed to be 50's and sunny tomorrow. :excited:
:fuckyeah:

We're basically the same 46 and sunny. Will be hiking if work calms the fuck down.
:nice:
If it's not :fakenews: I'll probably take a walk after work.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:39 pm People have a right to protest...and it can be effective at moving the needle for policy decisions.

The problem is, looting makes no sense and obviously isn't a "right". It's a fine line between peaceful protest and rioting/looting it seems. Both sides need to chill out and be more civil...the opposite of what this country has turned into, sadly. I'll never be able to get behind the use of US military force against US citizens. That's very wrong to me.
The looters are not the same people as protesters in most cases.
:dat:
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 pm We'll see how I feel as the winter goes on, but for now my plan is to continue biking and muzaking regardless of the weather. It sucks for 9 months a year, I can't afford to hibernate that long.
:jelly: I suck at muzaking because no talent or tone differentiation skills. If work dries up I'll set aside an hour to two a day to picking that skill.

Amusingly, music and driving are the only things I have ever tried hard at - despite having basically zero natural talent.

Not surprisingly, though, I have never been good enough at either to be paid a fucking dime to do them no matter HOW HARD I WORKED... because effort does not determine outcomes, [user not found].
wap

:triggered:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Amusingly, music and driving are the only things I have ever tried hard at - despite having basically zero natural talent.

Not surprisingly, though, I have never been good enough at either to be paid a fucking dime to do them no matter HOW HARD I WORKED... because effort does not determine outcomes, [user not found].
To be fair, the two things you r ever tried hard at are largely considered hobbies and not something that most people are ever going to get paid from...

I bet you could make money as a guitar teacher in Corning after the pandemic is over though. It’s got to be slim pickings up there and you know there are some kids who love metal and don’t have anyone to teach them..
troyguitar

wap wrote::triggered:
:dat:

I probably have on the order of 25000 hours into music so far. It's not talent. I'm a slow learner, just stubborn enough to persist.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm

I get that frustration man. My buddy is amazing at hockey, makes a constricted living in Europe as a coach and instructor, he should be good enough to be competitive in the NHL but politics, circumstances and that last bit of magic to make the leap. Covid is rampant right now and people are rioting over lock down talks, :thisisfine: , so he's getting sidelined as are all sports and sport people.

He is very business mindedness, so he keeps thinking up markets in that segment that need capitalizing on so we are pairing up to explore that more now that he's shut down. I have skills he needs and we are close friends so it's fun to do a project together regardless of outcome.

It's weird how the world deems one skill more worthy then another, music is a major part of societal influence so you'd think it is weighted differently. Aside from being the absolute top star, money can be made with the right recording equipment and an online presence. Start a membership to some youtube thing and offer people private online lessons for a fee. Start your own school from anywhere on the planet. :notbad:
troyguitar

Yeah it's odd. The teaching thing is its own challenge but I'm sure I'll end up doing it eventually (I need a significantly better ear first). It's kind of like hiring a great engineer to be a manager of engineers though - the two jobs are related but entirely different. Very rarely are great performers also great teachers.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:35 pm Yeah it's odd. The teaching thing is its own challenge but I'm sure I'll end up doing it eventually (I need a significantly better ear first). It's kind of like hiring a great engineer to be a manager of engineers though - the two jobs are related but entirely different. Very rarely are great performers also great teachers.
Or the really good players move on and you're teaching people your own level or lower. You're still top 5 or whatever % so you've got 95% of the playing population signing up.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:35 pm Yeah it's odd. The teaching thing is its own challenge but I'm sure I'll end up doing it eventually (I need a significantly better ear first). It's kind of like hiring a great engineer to be a manager of engineers though - the two jobs are related but entirely different. Very rarely are great performers also great teachers.
:notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've got an acoustic guitar and bass that I've been neglecting for years. Would really like to get to playing those more this winter.

But also thinking about additional schooling. Not sure I can go for another damned degree, but I'm intrigued by the google certifications in UX and Program Management. The world doesn't care about physically building things anymore, it's all about computers and software. All my experience is in the physical world, and I need to work changing that to survive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Playing an instrument is something I never was able to take up.

I tried playing the clarinet in 4th grade and developed the whooping cough shortly thereafter. I left instruments alone after that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man, I would never willingly go back to any sort of school. I already spent 17+ years of my life doing that, :nope:

My :bs: is all I'm going to have. I would rather "self educate" these days.

I actually have picked up my guitars a few times this week, feels good man, hadn't really played in a long while.
SAWCE

Man the sudden drop in temps here has my skin super dry. I’m good about putting lotion on my face 2x a day, but I might need to bring some with me to work tomorrow and hit a third application.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 am Man the sudden drop in temps here has my skin super dry. I’m good about putting lotion on my face 2x a day, but I might need to bring some with me to work tomorrow and hit a third application.
That is one thing I hate about winter, right now I'm still nice and :moist: but it is coming soon.

Pretty rainy here today. Kind of :notbad: , windows open WFH, I like listening to the rain and it's a pleasant high 60s, but I hope it tapers off before my group hipster bike ride this evening.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 am Man the sudden drop in temps here has my skin super dry. I’m good about putting lotion on my face 2x a day, but I might need to bring some with me to work tomorrow and hit a third application.
That is one thing I hate about winter, right now I'm still nice and :moist: but it is coming soon.

Pretty rainy here today. Kind of :notbad: , windows open WFH, I like listening to the rain and it's a pleasant high 60s, but I hope it tapers off before my group hipster bike ride this evening.
Yeah out temps and humidity both dropped suddenly and I’m feeling it.

Rain sounds nice. We were supposed to get some on Monday, but instead we got the lightest sprinkle ever on Sunday for like 5 minutes :flaccid: Part of me hopes for some real rain soon, part of me wants to take the top off the :jeep: again and wants it to stay dry..
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 am Man, I would never willingly go back to any sort of school. I already spent 17+ years of my life doing that, :nope:

I actually have picked up my guitars a few times this week, feels good man, hadn't really played in a long while.
But think of the school poon :wub:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:36 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 am Man, I would never willingly go back to any sort of school. I already spent 17+ years of my life doing that, :nope:

:lolol: I don't think it's really a thing when you're in your 30s and beyond. College chicks would just think we're :disgust: :wap:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:38 am
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:36 am

:lolol: I don't think it's really a thing when you're in your 30s and beyond. College chicks would just think we're :disgust: :wap:
Its the best ratio really, the hook up with teachers all the time. And lots of chicks are a bit more mature than :millennial: seems to happen for them sooner because their biological clock calls for breeding.