OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 pm
I'm in the opposite boat. I'm trying to find new hobbies to get into.
:stig:

It's funny because most people talk about golf being pricey. I am not an expert, but every time I've golfed, it's been like $30-60 depending on course, then all you need is clubs. You can get basic sets for not a ton of money. Cycling and track day/cars are sooo much more money. The other nice thing about golf is it's far more socially acceptable and understood, so in theory, you may get less push back from others in your life, and you can even use golf to network at work, with in-laws, etc.
:stig: is way too expensive for what I consider to be minimal returns for me. I'd much rather buy a set of used golf bats for a hundred bucks or whatever and go whack some balls outside while drinking.

I'd also like to get into cross country skiing to find some enjoyment in my new environment, which should be pretty reasonable to get into as well.

Agreed that biking is my favorite. I'm fortunately that I don't need to be the best or race or anything to enjoy the hobby, so my cheap bike is fine and enjoyable enough for my goals.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 pm
D Griff wrote:I think right now though, I'd vote cycling as the best hobby. It is great for you, good for the planet in many ways, cheaper than car stuff, there are many forms, so you can do fun urban cruising, long haul road stuff, in the woods rides, it offers a lot. It can be done socially or alone which is nice.

It's certainly the flavor of the week for me :doe:
Tough to do in northern MI, though apparently the weather there is still slightly better than here.

It's pretty cheap as hobbies go :doe: because you don't have to pay for access to roads and the consumables are cheap. $100 for a pair of tires that last all year, if not multiple years. Even if you buy a $3k bike, you don't have to spend another $50 a day to ride it like you do to use your golf clubs.
There's great bike riding in Northern MI, but it still ends from about now through April. A lot of people ride fat tire bikes in the snow in the winter and rave about how much fun it is. There's even groomed dedicated trails for it that would be fun to try. I need a new MTB, so might try a fat tire bike next, they just don't seem to exist anywhere as bikes are sold out everywhere.

Biggest cost is really gear...but I wonder if I can use the same stuff for cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and fat tire bike riding.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 am

Public schools in Delaware are shitty, especially the highschools. You're pretty much doling out for a private school if you want your kid to be a functioning member of society.
Yep, $20K year X 4 years of high school sort of wipes out any "cheap license plates" or other state to state advantages. This can all be solved by not having cf, of course.
I think most private high schools are around $10k/year. A bunch of charter schools have started popping up in the last few years, which has dealt a severe blow to private school enrollment. I currently don't have any kids, so I have paid minimal attention to the school systems.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 pm

:nice: Golf is a bunch of fun, I've always enjoyed when I've played. In4pics.

I don't have the resources for any more hobbies :doe:
Sadly you might have trouble finding a used set of clubs your size. OR you might get them cheaper since they're probably a tough sell. I have a great club five minutes from my driveway that's only $37 a round on Sat/Sunday mornings, and a 24/7 driving range 5min the other direction.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

*start playing Warhammer 40k....*
ChrisoftheNorth

datgrundle wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm
I had a bunch of friends in high school that played, I never really tried it. Seems like it would be fun if just from the creative aspect...but I'd like something a bit more on the physically active side since I hate working out.

Granted, golf is hardly "physically active", but it's still getting outside and walking around at least.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:46 pm

I had a bunch of friends in high school that played, I never really tried it. Seems like it would be fun if just from the creative aspect...but I'd like something a bit more on the physically active side since I hate working out.

Granted, golf is hardly "physically active", but it's still getting outside and walking around at least.
I really like the idea of XC skiing or fat bikes as a more active and cheaper/simpler version of snowmobiling, just dunno how to even think about getting started. It must exist up here :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 pm

I really like the idea of XC skiing or fat bikes as a more active and cheaper/simpler version of snowmobiling, just dunno how to even think about getting started. It must exist up here :doe:
It's REALLY popular up in my area. There's a hiking trail around our neighborhood that's popular for cross country skiing, so I just need some skis to give it a shot. Then work up to other trails in the area. I'll have to look on meetup or something to see if there's group fat tire rides or something. Biggest challenge there is finding a damned bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Back in college I played a bit and we would always choose to walk over getting a cart because we were :scrooge: /poor. It is pretty good exercise if you walk the course, you are getting quite a few miles in, typically with some hills. You don't get to :drunk: :stig: in the golf cart :doe: :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Back in college I played a bit and we would always choose to walk over getting a cart because we were :scrooge: /poor. It is pretty good exercise if you walk the course, you are getting quite a few miles in, typically with some hills. You don't get to :drunk: :stig: in the golf cart :doe: :disappoint:
Walking the course certainly would be quite a bit of exercise. :notbad: I wasn't sure if that was an option.
Huckleberry

Real golf players walk the course.

Also, I've never played a course that doesn't have a windmill.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm Real golf players walk the course.

The courses I've played have windmills too :lolol:
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Howdy y'all

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

troyguitar

Huckleberry wrote:Real golf players walk the course.

:mahtroy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

09vdubgti wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:27 pm Howdy y'all Image

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
:hai:
troyguitar

MALARKEY!
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:03 pm Of course it's not easy, but still doable. People whine and complain but then do nothing. So many fires can be traced to humans starting it...like WTF. That level of stupidity I just can't tolerate. I know there's other factors out of people's control, especially in Northern CA, but just pointing out that you accept certain risks based on where you live. I might get burried in snow and die this winter, that's my choice.

People should be freaking out climate change right now. The evidence is overwhelming at this point. Detroit was a desert this year, and areas of CA are on fire that aren't usually. This is not OK.
:thankstrump:
this
Huckleberry

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:25 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm Real golf players walk the course.

Your autocross courses have windmills? Sheeeeeit.
The penalty is much more severe clipping a wind mill.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:57 am Started bidding on a set of clubs so I can start golfing next year :excited:

:dat: I took golfing class when I started community college for a physical education elective, t'was a fun class for a spring semester and you go to a local golf course for class. I only been to top golf a few times and it was alright, but wouldn't go regularly doe.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 pm Tough to do in northern MI, though apparently the weather there is still slightly better than here.

It's pretty cheap as hobbies go :doe: because you don't have to pay for access to roads and the consumables are cheap. $100 for a pair of tires that last all year, if not multiple years. Even if you buy a $3k bike, you don't have to spend another $50 a day to ride it like you do to use your golf clubs.
Bingo.

$5 of food will get me quite far on a bike.
:iono: Everyone who partakes in the cycling thread here seems to :troywax: hundreds a month on shit.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

First day back in the office in two weeks.

10/7, michelle and I picked up her parents from the airport. 10/8 her mom starts feeling sick. 10/9 it’s full blown COVID symptoms, she goes in for a test. I told work about it then and was sent home to WFH until we figured out what was going on. The following Monday, 10/12 her result comes back positive. It’s been five days since exposure to her, so long enough that it’ll actually show on a test for me if I did get it. Did two tests, one normal, one rapid. Rapid test came back negative about thirty minutes after I took it, full test came back negative the next day 10/13. But because of her (MIL) positive test, the county contact tracers still got ahold of Michelle and I and said we had to quarantine for two weeks from the time of exposure. Forwarded the letter to my boss, finished last week WFH, then this week I took advantage of the supplemental time off that we’re offered for COVID (used 32 of my 80 hours) and just chilled M-Th.

Nice to have a paid break from work without hitting my vacation or sick balances.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:01 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Bingo.

$5 of food will get me quite far on a bike.
:iono: Everyone who partakes in the cycling thread here seems to :troywax: hundreds a month on shit.
I haven't spent a dime on bike shit in a year. I've got the gear, I'm good. Unless something wears out, I don't see the need.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 pm First day back in the office in two weeks.

10/7, michelle and I picked up her parents from the airport. 10/8 her mom starts feeling sick. 10/9 it’s full blown COVID symptoms, she goes in for a test. I told work about it then and was sent home to WFH until we figured out what was going on. The following Monday, 10/12 her result comes back positive. It’s been five days since exposure to her, so long enough that it’ll actually show on a test for me if I did get it. Did two tests, one normal, one rapid. Rapid test came back negative about thirty minutes after I took it, full test came back negative the next day 10/13. But because of her (MIL) positive test, the county contact tracers still got ahold of Michelle and I and said we had to quarantine for two weeks from the time of exposure. Forwarded the letter to my boss, finished last week WFH, then this week I took advantage of the supplemental time off that we’re offered for COVID (used 32 of my 80 hours) and just chilled M-Th.

Nice to have a paid break from work without hitting my vacation or sick balances.
:notbad:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 pm First day back in the office in two weeks.

I’m surprised nobody else got it from her. Wonder if we had it previously and have the antibodies. Dad, grandma, Michelle, and I were all in close contact with her that Wednesday night before she started feeling ill.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:14 pm
I’m surprised nobody else got it from her. Wonder if we had it previously and have the antibodies. Dad, grandma, Michelle, and I were all in close contact with her that Wednesday night before she started feeling ill.
Sometimes I wonder how easy it really is to contract.

Michele and I flew to California literally the day before the lockdowns started. We went through 4 total airports round trip, no masks, minimal precautions other than hand washing and sanitizing. We went for a wedding that was cancelled while we were in the air, but they had a party anyway with easily 50 people all in close proximity at a small house in downtown Santa Barbara. If we were going to catch it, that was going to be it between the party and airports. We've been perfectly fine since. Maybe asymptomatic, but none of the few people we hang out with have gotten it, so we haven't passed it on to anyone unless EVERYONE is asymptomatic, which seems unlikely.