OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 am https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79-C ... e=txtshare

Going to see if we can get in to check this place out. :jimp:
That is an awesome house! I love the open, green, area. It's funny, people love trashing on NJ but the western parts are gorgeous.

:jelly: of dem :haus: prices.
Yeah Jersey gets a bad Rap..... but most of it is beautiful.....

The heavily populated areas can be a shitshow but that's true of all states. Jersey has 4 or top 25 most densely populated counties in the country.....
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:22 pm

That is an awesome house! I love the open, green, area. It's funny, people love trashing on NJ but the western parts are gorgeous.

The heavily populated areas can be a shitshow but that's true of all states. Jersey has 4 or top 25 most densely populated counties in the country.....
Many people only think of nasty Detroit or Flint when they think of Michigan. It's a shame when a state only gains notoriety for bad things that overshadow the good.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Oof market has been a bitch lately... If this downward spiral continues everything else is going to go with it.... :doomed:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm

We have appointments tomorrow night to look at that and another property.

:notsure: on what the mortgage will qualify me for, so these might be a bit of a stretch solely off of me. But good to get out and looking.
Well, good news is that you're a lizard person and are privy to illuminati dealings.
:dat:
Apex

Aside from the rappage with taxes, NJ really is a nice state. I love the open areas of the state.

I’m an hour to NYC or Philly, and an hour to the beach. :notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:42 pm

Aside from the rappage with taxes, NJ really is a nice state. I love the open areas of the state.

It is funny how much hate it gets. I’ve always found it nice as well, the beaches are fantastic. Trenton and Newark are meh, the rest is nice. Fall in the western half is 5/7.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:26 pm

It is funny how much hate it gets. I’ve always found it nice as well, the beaches are fantastic. Trenton and Newark are meh, the rest is nice. Fall in the western half is 5/7.
I think most are fairly neutral towards NJ. It seems like Cali is the most hated state in the union, with Florida and Texas coming in at 2nd and 3rd.
max225

https://bgr.com/2020/10/20/most-hated-s ... s-ranking/

:lolgasm:

I guess this is a thing

New Jersey
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Florida
Michigan
Kentucky
Indiana
Alabama
Kansas

Top 5 rounded up.
Apex

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 pm https://bgr.com/2020/10/20/most-hated-s ... s-ranking/

I guess this is a thing

New Jersey
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Florida
Michigan
Kentucky
Indiana
Alabama
Kansas

Top 5 rounded up.
Very much a love it or hate it state. :lolol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:06 pm

We have appointments tomorrow night to look at that and another property.

:notsure: on what the mortgage will qualify me for, so these might be a bit of a stretch solely off of me. But good to get out and looking.
Well, good news is that you're a lizard person and are privy to illuminati dealings.
:notwrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 pm https://bgr.com/2020/10/20/most-hated-s ... s-ranking/

I guess this is a thing

New Jersey
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Florida
Michigan
Kentucky
Indiana
Alabama
Kansas

Top 5 rounded up.
Disagree with MeatChicken being so high. Indiana should be higher.
Irish

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:24 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:04 pm

I think most are fairly neutral towards NJ. It seems like Cali is the most hated state in the union, with Florida and Texas coming in at 2nd and 3rd.
Nah man, NJ gets some hate. But NJ also hates everyone.
We know everyone hates us New Jersians we just don't give a flyin' fuck... .....fuhgedaboudit
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

When I was in high school I wanted to move to New Jersey. A lot of bands I was listening to were coming out of there and it had a decent skateboard scene at the time.
Irish

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 pm When I was in high school I wanted to move to New Jersey. A lot of bands I was listening to were coming out of there and it had a decent skateboard scene at the time.
I've lived in three other states and none can compete with NE NJ for Great Italian restaurants, bakeries and bar bands.....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I guess this is a thing

New Jersey
Texas
California
Oklahoma
Florida
Michigan
Kentucky
Indiana
Alabama
Kansas

Top 5 rounded up.
:dat:

Maybe it is a regional thing, but NJ is often referred to as "the armpit of America" on the East Coast. CA is a 'hate us cuz they ain't us' thing... we all know it's the best weather and geography other than maybe HI.

Having been to all of them but Alaska, I would rank the worst five:

1. (by a fucking mile) Mississippi
2. North Dakota
3. Oklahoma
4. Arkansas
5. :iono: it gets kind of ambiguous here but basically all of the Midwest that isn't a city or on the water and all of the south that isn't a city, on the water, or in the mountains.

The truth is, there is some cool shit and great people all over the place. Mississippi is particularly terrible and depressing though.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:27 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 pm

I don't. The state is a very diverse state. If you only knew the Detroit area (which that's all most know), it could easily be the #1 most hated. There's very little redeeming qualities there.

If more people knew the West, North, and UP, it would be high up on the opposite list IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:25 pm

The taxes do suck, but I also enjoy the open areas of the state. Some of the best road riding in the country here.
It does seem like if you pay attention to it, you can find areas with reasonable taxes. It's similar to Meatchicken. Stay out of the densely populated areas you probably don't want to live in anyway, and taxes can be reasonable in spots.

I hate dumping on 'pex about watching for taxes, but it's been the most :rage: part of home ownershit for me. My last house, the taxes cost more than the mortgage. :disgust: :rage: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:43 pm Oof market has been a bitch lately... If this downward spiral continues everything else is going to go with it.... :doomed:
Looks like it's finally time for me to start getting involved. I was waiting for this.

GME :doe: :lolgasm: :wtf: :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:17 am

I don't. The state is a very diverse state. If you only knew the Detroit area (which that's all most know), it could easily be the #1 most hated. There's very little redeeming qualities there.

If more people knew the West, North, and UP, it would be high up on the opposite list IMO.
Out of curiosity, why so much hate for Detroit? You were always singing its praises a few years ago.

It is certainly not perfect, but I have really enjoyed each trip I've taken there. Good food and drink, cool architecture, pretty water front, friendly people.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Indiana definitely belongs high on the hated list. If family and friends weren't all here I'd :nope: out in a heartbeat.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:21 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:25 pm

The taxes do suck, but I also enjoy the open areas of the state. Some of the best road riding in the country here.
It does seem like if you pay attention to it, you can find areas with reasonable taxes. It's similar to Meatchicken. Stay out of the densely populated areas you probably don't want to live in anyway, and taxes can be reasonable in spots.

I hate dumping on 'pex about watching for taxes, but it's been the most :rage: part of home ownershit for me. My last house, the taxes cost more than the mortgage. :disgust: :rage: :nope:
Listening to you guys over the last few years made me pay more attention to the taxes than I ever looked at before. There a certainly areas that are more tax friendly than others. Mostly if you’re on a rail line to NYC your taxes go up.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:26 am

Out of curiosity, why so much hate for Detroit? You were always singing its praises a few years ago.

It is certainly not perfect, but I have really enjoyed each trip I've taken there. Good food and drink, cool architecture, pretty water front, friendly people.
There will be case studies about Detroit with it's rise/fall/rise/fall trend.

I grew up in a far flung suburb, hated that there was nothing to do, and left for the west coast as soon as I could. In 2013 when I moved back for the job at GM, Detroit was going through a bit of an underground renaissance. There was cool shit all over, some people were cool, others were dicks, but overall there was a "we're in this together" type vibe. It was crazy cheap to live there, and along with the unifying underdog mentality, it was fun...for a while.

Then reality set in.

We left our mansion in the city proper because we simply didn't feel welcome in our neighborhood. Racial tension is real...and it's easily felt. I don't want to live somewhere I'm not welcome, so we left. Around the time we left, opportunists from other areas like Chicago and NYC started taking advantage of the cheap cost of living and doing business in the city, and did everything they could to make Detroit NYC or Chicago Jr. The problem is, in doing so it ruined the feel of the city. The cost of going out sky rocketed, real estate skyrocketed (in certain areas) and the city started to lose it's identity. The worst part is all of those cost increases did nothing for the existing residents that didn't want those :fancy: people there in the first place. So you find yourself paying $200 for a decent meal for two downtown and on the way back to your car harassed by bums and gangsters to get out of "their city". For me...I couldn't disagree with them. It's really a shame how Detroit rose and is now starting to fall because it was pumped up by greedy opportunists who had no interest in helping the city or its existing residents that needed the most help.

So we moved to just outside the city, where taxes are :fullretard: and the cost of living in general started to skyrocket. We were approaching west coast levels of COL to live in an area that just didn't do much for us. Everything started to get too :fancy: for what it was and should be, and it just lost its luster. Restaurants got more expensive while decreasing food/service quality. People blamed this that and the other thing, but at the root of it the "development" just felt like greed. A number of our favorite places closed because rent was too high, and those spots AFAIK are still sitting vacant. I got the overwhelming feeling that greed was ruining the region for no reason, and I just couldn't align with that anymore.

In terms of Meatchicken as a whole, it's one of the most beautiful states in the country...except for SE where Detroit it. It's flat, boring, urban sprawl that just doesn't offer much. It took us 45 minutes sitting in traffic to just get to a nature area...and once there it was so crowded that it wasn't fun. The rest of the state has SO MUCH to offer, it's a shame that Detroit is what most people seem to think of . Even if you want that "city" vibe, I think Grand Rapids is better than Detroit in every single way and you get to take advantage of the natural beauty of the state.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:48 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:26 am

I grew up in a far flung suburb, hated that there was nothing to do, and left for the west coast as soon as I could. In 2013 when I moved back for the job at GM, Detroit was going through a bit of an underground renaissance. There was cool shit all over, some people were cool, others were dicks, but overall there was a "we're in this together" type vibe. It was crazy cheap to live there, and along with the unifying underdog mentality, it was fun...for a while.

Then reality set in.

We left our mansion in the city proper because we simply didn't feel welcome in our neighborhood. Racial tension is real...and it's easily felt. I don't want to live somewhere I'm not welcome, so we left. Around the time we left, opportunists from other areas like Chicago and NYC started taking advantage of the cheap cost of living and doing business in the city, and did everything they could to make Detroit NYC or Chicago Jr. The problem is, in doing so it ruined the feel of the city. The cost of going out sky rocketed, real estate skyrocketed (in certain areas) and the city started to lose it's identity. The worst part is all of those cost increases did nothing for the existing residents that didn't want those :fancy: people there in the first place. So you find yourself paying $200 for a decent meal for two downtown and on the way back to your car harassed by bums and gangsters to get out of "their city". For me...I couldn't disagree with them. It's really a shame how Detroit rose and is now starting to fall because it was pumped up by greedy opportunists who had no interest in helping the city or its existing residents that needed the most help.

So we moved to just outside the city, where taxes are :fullretard: and the cost of living in general started to skyrocket. We were approaching west coast levels of COL to live in an area that just didn't do much for us. Everything started to get too :fancy: for what it was and should be, and it just lost its luster. Restaurants got more expensive while decreasing food/service quality. People blamed this that and the other thing, but at the root of it the "development" just felt like greed. A number of our favorite places closed because rent was too high, and those spots AFAIK are still sitting vacant. I got the overwhelming feeling that greed was ruining the region for no reason, and I just couldn't align with that anymore.

In terms of Meatchicken as a whole, it's one of the most beautiful states in the country...except for SE where Detroit it. It's flat, boring, urban sprawl that just doesn't offer much. It took us 45 minutes sitting in traffic to just get to a nature area...and once there it was so crowded that it wasn't fun. The rest of the state has SO MUCH to offer, it's a shame that Detroit is what most people seem to think of . Even if you want that "city" vibe, I think Grand Rapids is better than Detroit in every single way and you get to take advantage of the natural beauty of the state.
That is really a bummer... I liked the sort of grassroots underdog vibe of Detroit. For top dollar, I'm living in CA.
wap

That's exactly my point, and why I disagree with the list. I've been through the UP and upper LP and it's 5/7. I was making a personal observation.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:23 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:48 am

Then reality set in.

That is really a bummer... I liked the sort of grassroots underdog vibe of Detroit. For top dollar, I'm living in CA.
Exactly... Detroit lost what made it cool, but not in a good way. It just rocketed into the greed stratosphere leaving a lot of people (long term residents) behind. Now the city is coming down, and those same people are still screwed. There's no compelling reason to live there anymore. Only silver lining is hopefully the rich fucks from out of state that ruined it wilI be left holding the bag.