OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I actually don't think real estate will go down ... the dollar will/has deflated... more now than in recent modern history. (1995-2020). And it will likely continue eroding thanks to the stimmy life.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 pm I've also never been to a part of Texas that I really care for...especially enough to live in. Austin was cool, but with all the pay area people there now, I don't think I'd be into it.
San Antonio is actually 5/7 for quality of life. Cheaper cost of living, small town feel in a “high population city”. People are very nice, mix of tech and southern hospitality (unlike Austin).

We love it here. But my job prospects are :notsure: beyond this role or our development. Which might cause me to move elsewhere in the future.

So much uncertainty.
The #1 goal in life IMO is happiness...and a MASSIVE portion of that is living somewhere you love. 5/7 quality of life is the goal and if you think you might have found that, you'll be surprised what will fall in line with jobs and whatnot.

Hard part is committing to a house purchase during uncertain times. You really don't want to make that commitment unless you know you'll be there for 5+ years.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:11 pm

Yeah I mean, I understand it can really be a great investment, particularly with the values climbing the way they have been. You are basically leveraging a banks money at 3ish% APR and the values have gone up by like 10+% annually here since 2010ish.

I am somewhat fundamentally against it for reasons you describe. No offense to those in the game, but personally I feel it goes against my liberal cuck sensibilities. I could see maybe owning a beach property or something that we actually wanted to use one day maybe, and like airBNBing it on the side, but to decimate the already low and overpriced inventory in my city isn't my thing. I also don't really want to be on the hook for another $2-3K/month.

I am not saying it's some sort of bubble that's about to pop or anything, but I'm legitimately curious to see how it all unfolds. There are also areas of the US that are cheap as hell and I wonder if now that things are remote, people will just avoid moving to places like Charlotte where this house is now $775K

And this is $464K
A picture is worth a thousand words. That second one for $464K is :disgust:
That second one is less than a mile from my house which is, IMO nicer, and was bought for $327K 15 months ago :wtf:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:31 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm

San Antonio is actually 5/7 for quality of life. Cheaper cost of living, small town feel in a “high population city”. People are very nice, mix of tech and southern hospitality (unlike Austin).

We love it here. But my job prospects are :notsure: beyond this role or our development. Which might cause me to move elsewhere in the future.

So much uncertainty.
The #1 goal in life IMO is happiness...and a MASSIVE portion of that is living somewhere you love. 5/7 quality of life is the goal and if you think you might have found that, you'll be surprised what will fall in line with jobs and whatnot.

Hard part is committing to a house purchase during uncertain times. You really don't want to make that commitment unless you know you'll be there for 5+ years.
Check his sig. You bought and sold three houses in Detroit in part because you are a pinshitting hoe. Every day that you live in a shitty apartment with cf is a day of mediocrity and he's tired of it. I don't think it's much of a leap to :gtfo: and the construction prices he is talking about...... He might as well be building in Fargo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:28 pm I actually don't think real estate will go down ... the dollar will/has deflated... more now than in recent modern history. (1995-2020). And it will likely continue eroding thanks to the stimmy life.
You are probably right (I really don't know). I think maybe it'll stop growing double digit percentages each year though? We will see. I am also thinking people may flood to the areas they originally escaped from to go to CA (think the less loved NE/Midwestern cities - Syracuse, Buffalo, Cleveland, Topeka, Hartford, Springfield, Des Moines, Omaha...). Surely houses in those places are cheap?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Check his sig. You bought and sold three houses in Detroit in part because you are a pinshitting hoe. Every day that you live in a shitty apartment with cf is a day of mediocrity and he's tired of it. I don't think it's much of a leap to :gtfo: and the construction prices he is talking about...... He might as well be building in Fargo.
:dat: I think Rudy is actually one of the best on this forum for choosing happiness from the hand he's dealt. He has made the best of an unexpected :baby: , two new to him cities, being stuck working at Target, hell even this house thing is really the first complaint I've heard around the apartment. If I was in an apartment with :baby: + :tits: I would likely be bitching about it on here daily.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:28 pm I actually don't think real estate will go down ... the dollar will/has deflated... more now than in recent modern history. (1995-2020). And it will likely continue eroding thanks to the stimmy life.
You are probably right (I really don't know). I think maybe it'll stop growing double digit percentages each year though? We will see. I am also thinking people may flood to the areas they originally escaped from to go to CA (think the less loved NE/Midwestern cities - Syracuse, Buffalo, Cleveland, Topeka, Hartford, Springfield, Des Moines, Omaha...). Surely houses in those places are cheap?
Yea it is really hard to make a blanket statement that captures mass migration patterns. I am sure there will be some exceptions. But overall "cheap" regions got pricy. And there is a reason a lot of folks left certain areas. So I am not expecting something like Odessa Texas to be the next Mecca of the US. And jobs while being "remote is aok" type scenarios will adjust as well.

Every company I know of is paying people LESS for being in cheaper locations, there is no free lunch. It'll all shake out somewhere where we are today.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Those cities on your list are...........not the same. Some have renaissance merit.......Cleveland, Omaha. Some are still pure garbage....Topeka. Des Moines has a shitton or insurance jerbs.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:46 pm

:dat: I think Rudy is actually one of the best on this forum for choosing happiness from the hand he's dealt. He has made the best of an unexpected :baby: , two new to him cities, being stuck working at Target, hell even this house thing is really the first complaint I've heard around the apartment. If I was in an apartment with :baby: + :tits: I would likely be bitching about it on here daily.
+1
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Yea it is really hard to make a blanket statement that captures mass migration patterns. I am sure there will be some exceptions. But overall "cheap" regions got pricy. And there is a reason a lot of folks left certain areas. So I am not expecting something like Odessa Texas to be the next Mecca of the US. And jobs while being "remote is aok" type scenarios will adjust as well.

Every company I know of is paying people LESS for being in cheaper locations, there is no free lunch. It'll all shake out somewhere where we are today.
Shithole.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Those cities on your list are...........not the same. Some have renaissance merit.......Cleveland, Omaha. Some are still pure garbage....Topeka. Des Moines has a shitton or insurance jerbs.
I agree (as well as on Odessa ( :disgust: )... but there are houses in those places and people need to live somewhere. Supply and demand dictates that there should be cheap houses for sale in Topeka and remote workers stuck in studio apartments in Los Angeles wanting more space. Some people would choose a 3K square foot house in shitsville given the option.

I am thankful that I already own a house in non shitsville and I have a pretty good paying job. Many aren't so lucky.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:59 pm

I agree (as well as on Odessa ( :disgust: )... but there are houses in those places and people need to live somewhere. Supply and demand dictates that there should be cheap houses for sale in Topeka and remote workers stuck in studio apartments in Los Angeles wanting more space. Some people would choose a 3K square foot house in shitsville given the option.

I am thankful that I already own a house in non shitsville and I have a pretty good paying job. Many aren't so lucky.
I would rather be in an apartment in a nice place than a house in the middle of no where. And most of the US population agrees which is why things have gotten way more urban as of late minus the plague induced correction.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The obsession with square footage in America continues to amaze. I was driving through the Hemet/Murrietta area yesterday (between Temecula and Riverside) and the endless sprawl of 3500 plus square foot homes is mind blowing. These places "start in the low 400's." I am as :disgust: with the idea of blowing $460K to buy space I don't need in the middle of Little Caesar's/Subway country next to a bunch of mouth breathers with toy haulers who spend every dime they have leaving their oversized Hemet home in a $70K diesel truck to go drive ATV's around in the sand as I am spending it on that shitbox in Charlotte.

It would appear that living anywhere worth a damn is not for the faint of wallet at the moment.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:06 pm

I would rather be in an apartment in a nice place than a house in the middle of no where. And most of the US population agrees which is why things have gotten way more urban as of late minus the plague induced correction.
Not in Hemet bro.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Yeah I would too... but I think there are those who disagree, particularly post-COVID. I think COVID will result in changes probably for the rest of our lives. Some people will be scared of social events and crowds for many years. I am personally a more outgoing human and enjoy crowds most times. I do love a nice session in the woods with few around, but in general enjoy city life, concerts, sporting events, etc.

Once my second Pfizer is kicked in I plan to go back to my previous way of life as much as I can (obviously plus a mask in public and some other basic precautions until further notice). I have tickets for Weezer, Green Day, and Fall Out Boy this summer for example (date was moved last year) and will be going if they still have it. I will probably go to the Coke 600 here in CLT as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm trying to give some sage advice so others don't make mistakes. I fucking hate moving. I really hated having 3 different houses, and I dreaded the sale and moving of each one. I got insanely lucky to make money on each, but I can't possibly expect that to be the norm forever, and others shouldn't either. PLUS, the amount of time blown to :pinshit: got old, and I've realized now that I live somewhere I like, the :pinshit: drive has diminished drastically. Especially from :tits: we spend more time doing things than trying to force the house to be something it isn't. We were moving due to dissatisfaction with areas, not houses which is why I made the point to make sure you love an area before buying.

Everyone thinks things have changed forever and values of everything will only ever go up. Maybe, and I hope they do because that would be awesome. BUT, I still remember 08 way too well. Moving to Phoenix and seeing giant neighborhood developments on the north side abandoned because the houses were worthless. I loved Phoenix and actually started down the process of buying an abandoned "worthless" house, but then I had a job move that pushed me to LA a year later, and at the time was really glad to not be tied to a house.

My point is when you're young, it's a great time to move new places and experience new things. You have no clue what you want forever at that stage because there's so much left to experience. Maybe I'm unique in that regard, but buying a house young just seems like it could result in resentment later down the road. The RIGHT way to look at a house is a long term thing. I totally understand not wanting to live in an apt (I certainly refuse to do that ever again), but buying and selling houses sucks big time, and you can lose your ass if things don't line up just right. I believe that going forward, things won't line up as well as they used to. Especially in sprawl areas like some parts of Texas that remind me of Phoenix and Vegas in 05/6.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:13 pm

The obsession with square footage in America continues to amaze. I was driving through the Hemet/Murrietta area yesterday (between Temecula and Riverside) and the endless sprawl of 3500 plus square foot homes is mind blowing. These places "start in the low 400's." I am as :disgust: with the idea of blowing $460K to buy space I don't need in the middle of Little Caesar's/Subway country next to a bunch of mouth breathers with toy haulers who spend every dime they have leaving their oversized Hemet home in a $70K diesel truck to go drive ATV's around in the sand as I am spending it on that shitbox in Charlotte.

It would appear that living anywhere worth a damn is not for the faint of wallet at the moment.
:dat:

And per my previous post, I think it's these sprawl "communities" that carry the biggest risk. Companies decide to force people back in the office, or climate change makes those areas uninhabitable, whatever...it's a bold move IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

But I bought a fucking concrete bunker on a hill in the middle of nowhere and I've never been happier, so everyone's different and needs to pursue what makes them happy. The world is not one size fits all, and that's what makes it go round.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 pm

I'm trying to give some sage advice so others don't make mistakes. I fucking hate moving. I really hated having 3 different houses, and I dreaded the sale and moving of each one. I got insanely lucky to make money on each, but I can't possibly expect that to be the norm forever, and others shouldn't either. PLUS, the amount of time blown to :pinshit: got old, and I've realized now that I live somewhere I like, the :pinshit: drive has diminished drastically. Especially from :tits: we spend more time doing things than trying to force the house to be something it isn't. We were moving due to dissatisfaction with areas, not houses which is why I made the point to make sure you love an area before buying.

Everyone thinks things have changed forever and values of everything will only ever go up. Maybe, and I hope they do because that would be awesome. BUT, I still remember 08 way too well. Moving to Phoenix and seeing giant neighborhood developments on the north side abandoned because the houses were worthless. I loved Phoenix and actually started down the process of buying an abandoned "worthless" house, but then I had a job move that pushed me to LA a year later, and at the time was really glad to not be tied to a house.

My point is when you're young, it's a great time to move new places and experience new things. You have no clue what you want forever at that stage because there's so much left to experience. Maybe I'm unique in that regard, but buying a house young just seems like it could result in resentment later down the road. The RIGHT way to look at a house is a long term thing. I totally understand not wanting to live in an apt (I certainly refuse to do that ever again), but buying and selling houses sucks big time, and you can lose your ass if things don't line up just right. I believe that going forward, things won't line up as well as they used to. Especially in sprawl areas like some parts of Texas that remind me of Phoenix and Vegas in 05/6.
Fair counterpoint except I don't perceive that there are "income stated loans" linked to "credit swap bundles" like in 2008. People have skin in the game, if the stories about financing and refinancing are any indication. I guess it depends on whether he has an decent rental "stopgap" option. Living in an apartment wears on a dude.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Fair counterpoint except I don't perceive that there are "income stated loans" linked to "credit swap bundles" like in 2008. People have skin in the game, if the stories about financing and refinancing are any indication. I guess it depends on whether he has an decent rental "stopgap" option. Living in an apartment wears on a dude.
Mortgage requirements are increasingly lax these days.

When I refinanced the Detroit house this time last year, they requested all this bank shit for YEARS back, they sent an appraiser to the house and he walked around taking photos, it was a major headache like the past.

Then when we went to buy the new house, somehow appraisal was waived. And if I put 25% down, they didn't need all these bank statements and whatnot (just two months' paystubs). Maybe it was because I was buying less than half of what I was approved for...but then when we sold our house in the city for $550k, the buyers (who both work for ad agencies, notoriously underpaid) put 10% down, had appraisal waived, and when we talked to them at closing, the wife (breadwinner) somehow got a waiver on employment verification due to some weird loophole she was telling us about (came up because my bank was being a stickler about employment verification when the rest of the process was stupid simple). We remarked on how easy mortgages seemed to be to get compared to the past. Not sure if the .gov passed some waivers or something due to the virus, but um...it's ridiculously easy to buy a house (at least in Michigan) right now.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

We have had several issues in our refi and we are looking to borrow only 1.5 years worth of income for 15 years and both rock an 800 credit score.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 pm

We have had several issues in our refi and we are looking to borrow only 1.5 years worth of income for 15 years and both rock an 800 credit score.
Interesting.

I actually wonder if there's some shady stuff going on with the mortgage giants that happened to be HQ'd in Michigan. I used United Wholesale Mortgage for the new house, and it was dumb easy (other than the stupid employment verification at the last minute), and the buyers of our old house used Quicken. Those two have become behemoths in the mortgage industry, I'm wondering if they're somehow doing something fishy to make this massive growth possible...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:13 pm

And per my previous post, I think it's these sprawl "communities" that carry the biggest risk. Companies decide to force people back in the office, or climate change makes those areas uninhabitable, whatever...it's a bold move IMO.
:dat: is true, the sprawl communities are not good investment typically. They are the only places that are still below 2008 levels, at least around here and other places I've looked like Las Vegas and Phoenix.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:05 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:29 am

I hit clearing my relocation bonus “tenure” pay back in May. After that, I’m free to move without paying back relocation assistance funds.

Job is working well. We might move into the DFW area with a site there, so there might be opportunity for moving there as well... which might change things up even within Texas. I’d have to see.

For what it’s worth, City of San Antonio offers first time homebuyer 0% down payment assistance loans up to $15k, obviously have to live doe 5 years and they get their money from property taxes, but still a good boost.
Do not buy a house unless you see yourself there for 5 years minimum. Incentives or whatever don't matter if you have to move and lose your ass. Being a landlord is not the savior that :millennial: finance geniuses make it out to be.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:28 pm

:dat: is true, the sprawl communities are not good investment typically. They are the only places that are still below 2008 levels, at least around here and other places I've looked like Las Vegas and Phoenix.
:dat:, and the farther out the worse it gets. Fingers crossed our place maintains its value, it's just on the other side of the county/city divide, so we're in the suburban school district (desirable), but about as close as you can be to downtown and still be outside the county. We still don't like it here, but homes in the 'hood seem to move quickly, here's to hoping they still will when we want to move in 5 or 6 years.