OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:13 pm
Our house doesn't have a basement...I didn't realize how much I'd miss it.
I thought your house had levels and was kinda built into the slope?
Exactly, so there's no "basement" i.e. a space built entirely in the ground underneath above ground living space.

The house is multiple concrete levels, built like walk-out basements, but it's all finished living space. So we're 1,500 sq ft full stop. Many 1,500 sq ft houses also have a basement underneath that's not counted in sqft, providing useful storage and some living space. Our house doesn't have that at all.

There's a big storage space built off the garage that we use for basement type storage, but things like the office or workout space had to be integrated into the 2nd bedroom/guest room instead of just in the basement.

It's been more of an adjustment than I thought it would be, but it was great for simplifying crap that lives in the basement untouched for decades.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:01 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:55 pm

I thought your house had levels and was kinda built into the slope?
Exactly, so there's no "basement" i.e. a space built entirely in the ground underneath above ground living space.

The house is multiple concrete levels, built like walk-out basements, but it's all finished living space. So we're 1,500 sq ft full stop. Many 1,500 sq ft houses also have a basement underneath that's not counted in sqft, providing useful storage and some living space. Our house doesn't have that at all.

There's a big storage space built off the garage that we use for basement type storage, but things like the office or workout space had to be integrated into the 2nd bedroom/guest room instead of just in the basement.

It's been more of an adjustment than I thought it would be, but it was great for simplifying crap that lives in the basement untouched for decades.
At least it's not 1140 with no garage... :ohwell:

Basements are very rare here due to the rock hard red clay soil, so it's very difficult to actually score one. You can find walk outs and split levels occasionally, a true basement is like 1/500 homes.
ChrisoftheNorth

So as a result, the 2nd bedroom has become a multi purpose room. Office, workout, guest room.

I removed the closet doors and put the desk and "office" in the closet like so:

Then we bought these with memory foam mattresses from Costco...
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/utaker-sta ... s49227808/

Makes a nice couch most of the time and guests report that the beds are obscenely comfy, and many appreciate the option for separate sleeping from partner euro style.

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:05 pm

At least it's not 1140 with no garage... :ohwell:

Basements are very rare here due to the rock hard red clay soil, so it's very difficult to actually score one. You can find walk outs and split levels occasionally, a true basement is like 1/500 homes.
I couldn't do it without a garage. I have no idea where you put things.

We were going through the original drawings for the house and discovered when it was first built, the garage was just a 2-car. It was actually expanded a bit 4 years later for more storage space...I think the original owner underestimated the need for space to put stuff.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That is a sweet setup!

We have three bedrooms, so one is guest/dog/exercise stuff, one our bedroom, one my office/my stuff room. We do have an outdoor shed for yard stuff and bikes and a little utility room off the patio with the hot water heater, my road bike, and a work bench. It isn't much but it works.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:05 pm

Ah, I see.

Yeah, we have 1092 square feet on paper, but it doesn't count the converted attic bedroom, or the unfinished basement. We're probably closer to 2200 square feet including the unfinished basement. It's really the one thing I'd have a hard time with, if we did a tiny house or something - I need unfinished space for laundry, workouts, and storage.
Storage and utilities are things I just can't figure out for a tiny house. I guess you just make the most out of the space you have? Or you just don't have that much stuff, which is a bit liberating TBH.

I added a ton of shelving to the walls in the furnace room to give us more storage space, for example.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:13 pm That is a sweet setup!

We have three bedrooms, so one is guest/dog/exercise stuff, one our bedroom, one my office/my stuff room. We do have an outdoor shed for yard stuff and bikes and a little utility room off the patio with the hot water heater, my road bike, and a work bench. It isn't much but it works.
It is amazing how much you can utilize if you don't have much space. I prefer 100% space utilization over say 50% like our last house. There were large rooms we never went in. :butwhy:

When we bought the house we brainstormed how to add a 3rd bedroom, but the office/workout/guestroom is working out great and we're at :butwhy: with that now. Guests usually only come on the weekend anyway, so the room is used every single day for one purpose or another.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:13 pm That is a sweet setup!

It is amazing how much you can utilize if you don't have much space. I prefer 100% space utilization over say 50% like our last house. There were large rooms we never went in. :butwhy:

When we bought the house we brainstormed how to add a 3rd bedroom, but the office/workout/guestroom is working out great and we're at :butwhy: with that now. Guests usually only come on the weekend anyway, so the room is used every single day for one purpose or another.
I agree, it is kind of nice to be forced to be a bit minimalistic and actually use all of the rooms. To your previous post though, the idea of a true tiny house is really tough as a person with hobbies. Sometimes I get all :rolleyes: with my wife buying shit like house decorations, cooking gadgets, clothes, etc. but then I look around and I have three bikes, several guitars, a tuba, an extra set of wheels/tires, bunch of tools, a huge tote with a helmet/track stuff/spares... it's a long list. These are all great "basement things". As much as I want to be minimalistic, I also like my toys for hobbies. I do have uses for all three bikes which are unique. I could have one gravel bike I guess, but it would be worse for everything I do.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 pm

I agree, it is kind of nice to be forced to be a bit minimalistic and actually use all of the rooms. To your previous post though, the idea of a true tiny house is really tough as a person with hobbies. Sometimes I get all :rolleyes: with my wife buying shit like house decorations, cooking gadgets, clothes, etc. but then I look around and I have three bikes, several guitars, a tuba, an extra set of wheels/tires, bunch of tools, a huge tote with a helmet/track stuff/spares... it's a long list. These are all great "basement things". As much as I want to be minimalistic, I also like my toys for hobbies. I do have uses for all three bikes which are unique. I could have one gravel bike I guess, but it would be worse for everything I do.
Yep, which makes tiny houses great in theory, but not in practice.

I did finally purge a ton of hobby stuff that I'm not going to use anymore and am sick of storing. A lot of car parts and crap I no longer care about went to the curb. Guess what? I don't miss them at all. Minimalist is great.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:27 am

Most of the stuff we are finding are like 1200sqft plus basements. So we have all the storage we need, I can put a rack and weights down there, spin bike, etc.
All we need and nothing we don’t.
:jelly: of the bolded. Our house is a :nice: size for living space at about that square footage, but stuff like the spin bike, my bikes, storage, etc. sucks since we don't have basements here really. I would probably even set up my office down there if I could just to have more space.

:ohwell:

Do y'all plan to have any more kids?
We are one and done with the kiddo. She’s really an awesome kid, and I’d rather spoil one instead of managing multiple.

We’ll get more dogs. :lol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:26 pm

:jelly: of the bolded. Our house is a :nice: size for living space at about that square footage, but stuff like the spin bike, my bikes, storage, etc. sucks since we don't have basements here really. I would probably even set up my office down there if I could just to have more space.

We are one and done with the kiddo. She’s really an awesome kid, and I’d rather spoil one instead of managing multiple.

Sounds like the right call to me.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:09 pm So as a result, the 2nd bedroom has become a multi purpose room. Office, workout, guest room.

Makes a nice couch most of the time and guests report that the beds are obscenely comfy, and many appreciate the option for separate sleeping from partner euro style.

Does someone play trombone, or is that just a lamp?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:30 pm

Sounds like the right call to me.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:09 pm So as a result, the 2nd bedroom has become a multi purpose room. Office, workout, guest room.

I played trombone from 6th to 12th grade. Last time I played was high school graduation night. I was somewhat accomplished, played jazz, concert, marching, pep, etc. When I went to college, I decided to shed my "band nerd" label and just do other things. For better or worse.

I had two trombones...one for concerts and another for marching/pep band. I moved with both for years, thinking maybe I'd play again one day. I decided to bail, and as part of purging last year, I donated my :waxer: concert trombone to the local high school...the band director was :mindblown: and he said they're going to use it as a reward for students who got to first chair for concerts. Made me feel good, and it's a better use for the thing than sitting in my closet, or selling it to someone that could afford it (I wanted less fortunate students to have the opportunity to play on a really nice horn). I took my marching horn and turned it into the lamp you see.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

@Detroit Very cool story.....for real. I wish I had not succumbed to shedding the "band nerd" thing when I moved from NJ to PA. Yes, It allowed me to appear "cooler" but I missed out on a lot of good times as our high school band was FAR better at banding than our football team was at footballing.... speaking of balling, i would have gotten laid so much more had I been in band.... as the band traveled co-ed . I was also a much better musician than I was a foot ball player .....

PS I love what you did with that office/guest room..... and i LOVE THAT LAMP
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:14 pm @Detroit Very cool story.....for real. I wish I had not succumbed to shedding the "band nerd" thing when I moved from NJ to PA. Yes, It allowed me to appear "cooler" but I missed out on a lot of good times as our high school band was FAR better at banding than our football team was at footballing.... speaking of balling, i would have gotten laid so much more had I been in band.... as the band traveled co-ed . I was also a much better musician than I was a foot ball player .....

I make it a point to regret nothing in life, and abandoning band in college at times makes me a bit sad to think about what I might have been able to accomplish musically and who I might have met, but it was absolutely the right call. I was a bit of a follower of sorts in high school. A number of my band friends were going to my college and joining the marching band, they were also music majors...and just not something I wanted anymore. They took it too seriously, and I had many people (including my band director) tell me that I needed to study music and that I had a bright future. Fucking REALLY!? I called :yeahok: and just abandoned it all in an effort to distance myself from that nonsense. I certainly didn't want to be a starving artist my whole life. My closer friends abandoned band for engineering or other high achieving degrees at fancy schools, and I wanted to do the same and did. (fucking follower). I doubt I would have moved as much or done so much after college if I stayed in band...I probably would have had a strong social circle that kept me back. I wouldn't have been sad because I didn't know any better, but in hindsight I'm so glad that I made the decision I did.

What I didn't realize is that I probably could have figured out someway to keep playing and stay involved without going :fullretard: Sounds like Dan did it this way, and I wish I had just so I kept my chops up. I don't even know if I can play anymore, and will probably never find out.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:08 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:31 pm

I played trombone from 6th to 12th grade. Last time I played was high school graduation night. I was somewhat accomplished, played jazz, concert, marching, pep, etc. When I went to college, I decided to shed my "band nerd" label and just do other things. For better or worse.

I had two trombones...one for concerts and another for marching/pep band. I moved with both for years, thinking maybe I'd play again one day. I decided to bail, and as part of purging last year, I donated my :waxer: concert trombone to the local high school...the band director was :mindblown: and he said they're going to use it as a reward for students who got to first chair for concerts. Made me feel good, and it's a better use for the thing than sitting in my closet, or selling it to someone that could afford it (I wanted less fortunate students to have the opportunity to play on a really nice horn). I took my marching horn and turned it into the lamp you see.
:neat: story.
I followed almost the same exact path after excelling in high school band (played cornet) from 7th through 12th grade (my Jr. high and HS were in the same building and shared, among other things, the band teacher). Promptly dumped it in college because I immediately hated my school and wanted nothing to do with it. I owned my own horn (traded an old calculator for it at a pawn shop, lol), in addition to the one I used at school. It was a nice Lyon Healy, which was a one-time high end musical instrument maker in Chicago. It didn't work in the shop, which is how I got it for next to nothing, but I noticed the valves were mixed up so when I got it home I put them in their right spots and it worked flawlessly ever since. It's still in a bag in the back of a closet at home. My HS graduation is also the last time I played for real. Was also in both jazz and concert band. We didn't have a marching band, or a football team, for that matter.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:39 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:14 pm @Detroit Very cool story.....for real. I wish I had not succumbed to shedding the "band nerd" thing when I moved from NJ to PA. Yes, It allowed me to appear "cooler" but I missed out on a lot of good times as our high school band was FAR better at banding than our football team was at footballing.... speaking of balling, i would have gotten laid so much more had I been in band.... as the band traveled co-ed . I was also a much better musician than I was a foot ball player .....

I make it a point to regret nothing in life, and abandoning band in college at times makes me a bit sad to think about what I might have been able to accomplish musically and who I might have met, but it was absolutely the right call. I was a bit of a follower of sorts in high school. A number of my band friends were going to my college and joining the marching band, they were also music majors...and just not something I wanted anymore. They took it too seriously, and I had many people (including my band director) tell me that I needed to study music and that I had a bright future. Fucking REALLY!? I called :yeahok: and just abandoned it all in an effort to distance myself from that nonsense. I certainly didn't want to be a starving artist my whole life. My closer friends abandoned band for engineering or other high achieving degrees at fancy schools, and I wanted to do the same and did. (fucking follower). I doubt I would have moved as much or done so much after college if I stayed in band...I probably would have had a strong social circle that kept me back. I wouldn't have been sad because I didn't know any better, but in hindsight I'm so glad that I made the decision I did.

What I didn't realize is that I probably could have figured out someway to keep playing and stay involved without going :fullretard: Sounds like Dan did it this way, and I wish I had just so I kept my chops up. I don't even know if I can play anymore, and will probably never find out.
Wife's college roommate at MSU was in marching band there. She played alto sax and they practiced HARD. Their routines were physical and brutal. She'd have massive bruises on her left side from a move where they slammed their horn against themselves. They were an excellent marching band, but you're probably better off not joining, lol.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

We did have one player who was able to do both football and band but he lived in town and was limited to concert band..... it was our Marching Band that was far above average and he, nor I, would have been able to pull that off whilst still staying on the football team..... They were invited to play at Disney World for like 10 years running and won and placed in many many competitions....

Hell I'm not even sure I could have made Marching Band as I was only a concert clarinetist in grade school..... I was first chair and had also been invited to and picked for "Dance Band" which was hybrid group from all 4 elementary schools in my town.... we played more fun and challenging pieces (than the individual school bands which frankly sucked) and it was blast to sound so good as a small orchestra......
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I wound up studying Music Engineering which actually worked out fine, I am still loosely in the industry kind of. I miss playing, I was involved in a local community band pre-COVID but that is a big no now, especially since many of the members were :wap: retired people. I don't pick up the tuba at all post-COVID as it isn't really that fun to play solo, but I will keep it around for when things go back to normal. Donating it to a HS is 5/7 though, if I ever stop playing permanently I think I'll go that route over selling. My tuba is probably worth $2-3K but it would be a difficult thing to sell and it would be cool to see it go on and just get used by those who got joy out of it.

It was definitely an interesting, cult-like vibe at times though, I can understand why you :nope: out. I was in marching band freshman year at U Miami. It was a pretty cool experience going to all of the games, getting featured playing sousaphone on national TV and stuff. My parents would see me during games all the way back in NC and get excited. At the end of the year though, I had never really fit in with the marching band crew that well and bailed. No regrets on that, glad I tried it, but I had a group of friends on the "Music Engineering" side of things who were more my people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:nice:

I would say a house in this size range would get a bit small with more than one kid, at least for my liking. We have neighbors with four kids, two dogs, mom, dad all in the same size house as ours, which sounds pretty :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Taking these performance-based joys and going at them with 100% effort ends in brutal ways for 99% of people who try it. You're almost certainly better off for having not been a music major - WTF would you have done with that? But isn't it kind of disappointing to not play anymore? If it's something you really enjoyed it could still be fun to do dabble in even as an adult.

Personally I was obsessed with hockey back in high school. I sort of fell into playing it competitively as a fluke, though. A friend of mine was really good and was trying out for the AAA 18 and under travel team and told me to come out for tryouts sort of on a whim. I was 15 and had played nothing but house league to that point, but I went anyway. I had no business being on the ice with a bunch of mostly 17 and 18 year old guys who'd been playing at that level for years, but I was one of only two goalies to show up at tryouts and so I made the team by default. The other goalie on the team was a senior and I didn't play at all at the beginning of the year, but I worked my ass off each and every day and by the end of the year we were splitting games. I was the starting goaltender for that team my last two years in high school and had all these aspirations of playing in college. I had a stack of tryout invitations from Junior A and Junior B teams, thought I'd try that and see if I could turn that into a scholarship or something, but in the end I decided just to walk onto a D3 ACHA team in college.

Why? I didn't want to delay school to chase something that would likely never turn into anything. I'm 5'10", and if you've watched any professional hockey at all, you've probably noticed that a 6'1" goaltender is considered short these days. The guys in net are HUGE anymore. Best case I might've been a NCAA D3 or low level D1 athlete, then ended up in the beer leagues, just like I am now, but with 2 or 3 years of wasted time in junior in-between. Meh. I might not have married my wife who I met in high school had we not gone off to college together. Who knows? I'm super happy I went the route I did. I still had a lot of fun playing in college, but it didn't get in the way of the bigger picture. All roads lead to the beer leagues, whether it's college, the minors, or even the NHL.

But I will say, I'm very glad to still be playing. I absolutely love strapping the pads on, getting out on the ice each week, and stopping pucks. I still have a crazy passion for it, and I don't think I'll ever stop playing at some level as long as my body more or less holds up. I can always be a forward when the hips get too blown.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:04 pm

Wife's college roommate at MSU was in marching band there. She played alto sax and they practiced HARD. Their routines were physical and brutal. She'd have massive bruises on her left side from a move where they slammed their horn against themselves. They were an excellent marching band, but you're probably better off not joining, lol.
Marching band at a Big 10 school is a massive commitment, which was a big reason I :nope: that combined with no clear way to just dabble in music without going :fullretard: I just cut out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:04 pm

Marching band at a Big 10 school is a massive commitment, which was a big reason I :nope: that combined with no clear way to just dabble in music without going :fullretard: I just cut out.
That was the other reason I quit... it was like 10 hours/week of rehearsing plus games. Just a :nope: with a 20 credit hour course load, part time job, and friend/fun shit I wanted to do.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I tried playing the clarinet in 4th grade. I caught the whooping cough shortly thereafter and haven't bothered with an instrument since.