OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:17 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm

You will get something. I wouldn't buy at the moment, it is bananas.

My sister/BIL are trying to buy a new house at the moment. They have lost out in multiple bidding wars... they are rich too, even at a high level it's crazy. They bid $770K on a place listed at $715K over the weekend and didn't get it :wtf:

You will find a rental, it's just a :rage: inducing process. I would think in Matthews it would be a bit less competitive, :iono:
I can't make any sense of the real estate market right now. It's going insane everywhere. I guess that's what happens when money is free and everyone is rich?

Buying anything right now is tough...I can't believe how expensive our immediate area has gotten.
It looks like inventory is down significantly in the US which is a major part of the issue as well. I think all of the "savvy :millennial: " that are obsessed with the real estate game buying up rentals, keeping their first property to rent when they move on, etc. is adding to these issues.

:iono: though... if the house rental market is also shit, per Cale, it's pretty :notsure: I will be staying put.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Moanin’
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

We are planning to buy/build a house within next year. I work on the north side of SATX and plenty of developments coming up here. Looking for a basic 3/2 1,500 sq ft with a 2 car garage and a “decent” backyard for the baby to play in. On this side of town, even 10-20 minutes further north, we could get in at $150-250k depending on options and shit.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

In some cool training now about intelligence and stuff (like CIA intelligence not brain intelligence)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:10 am We are planning to buy/build a house within next year. I work on the north side of SATX and plenty of developments coming up here. Looking for a basic 3/2 1,500 sq ft with a 2 car garage and a “decent” backyard for the baby to play in. On this side of town, even 10-20 minutes further north, we could get in at $150-250k depending on options and shit.
Did you not have return to Florida plans at one juncture? I take it those got reconsidered.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:10 am We are planning to buy/build a house within next year. I work on the north side of SATX and plenty of developments coming up here. Looking for a basic 3/2 1,500 sq ft with a 2 car garage and a “decent” backyard for the baby to play in. On this side of town, even 10-20 minutes further north, we could get in at $150-250k depending on options and shit.
Hot dang, TX is free. How far from downtown is that? Are there areas that are pricey?
razr390

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am
Did you not have return to Florida plans at one juncture? I take it those got reconsidered.
We are in limbo. Pros and cons of being back with family. Family support network for helping us with baby? Pro. Family drama and bullshit that comes with it? Con

Mostly we want to move out of apartment life. Upstairs neighbors and shitty insulation means we hear everything in the hallway or stairwell.

Whether that means renting or buying, we’d do either. But buying might not be a bad idea as we could always rent it even if we move.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am
Hot dang, TX is free. How far from downtown is that? Are there areas that are pricey?
Don’t mistake it. It’s booming in values due to people moving here. But no one wants to live on the outskirts. I’m 30 mins drive currently from downtown. But downtown isn’t that special here as opposed to other big cities. It’s nice to go to, but not a need to live by. But yes, the farther center you go, prices tend to creep.

Here, there are pockets of :waxer: areas that have multi-million dollar homes, and then upper middle class 400-750k homes. I don’t care how far away from downtown I live, because my work site is 10 minutes east/west from where I currently live. Moving more north doesn’t matter.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:12 am

We are in limbo. Pros and cons of being back with family. Family support network for helping us with baby? Pro. Family drama and bullshit that comes with it? Con

Mostly we want to move out of apartment life. Upstairs neighbors and shitty insulation means we hear everything in the hallway or stairwell.

Whether that means renting or buying, we’d do either. But buying might not be a bad idea as we could always rent it even if we move.
That is quite the commitment/headache/risk... personally if your five year plan involves like a 40% chance or higher of :gtfo: , I would not purchase a house. It's normally at least 3-5 years to break even, and with the weird market we've got now, I wouldn't be surprised if that's longer. I can't imagine 20% per year price increases will just keep going on forever. I could be :wrong: but it seems like eventually something will change.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:25 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am

That is quite the commitment/headache/risk... personally if your five year plan involves like a 40% chance or higher of :gtfo: , I would not purchase a house. It's normally at least 3-5 years to break even, and with the weird market we've got now, I wouldn't be surprised if that's longer. I can't imagine 20% per year price increases will just keep going on forever. I could be :wrong: but it seems like eventually something will change.
I hit clearing my relocation bonus “tenure” pay back in May. After that, I’m free to move without paying back relocation assistance funds.

Job is working well. We might move into the DFW area with a site there, so there might be opportunity for moving there as well... which might change things up even within Texas. I’d have to see.

For what it’s worth, City of San Antonio offers first time homebuyer 0% down payment assistance loans up to $15k, obviously have to live doe 5 years and they get their money from property taxes, but still a good boost.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:29 am

I hit clearing my relocation bonus “tenure” pay back in May. After that, I’m free to move without paying back relocation assistance funds.

Job is working well. We might move into the DFW area with a site there, so there might be opportunity for moving there as well... which might change things up even within Texas. I’d have to see.

For what it’s worth, City of San Antonio offers first time homebuyer 0% down payment assistance loans up to $15k, obviously have to live doe 5 years and they get their money from property taxes, but still a good boost.
I wouldn't say absolutely don't :doit: but just proceed with caution. I mean, my wife made out like a bandit on her townhouse purchase after only four years, that's how we were able to get this place. I imagine TX market is only growing so worst case it should be pretty flat.

Personally I think I'd live in Dallas area over San Antonio, but both are pretty decent/have different perks.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:32 am

I wouldn't say absolutely don't :doit: but just proceed with caution. I mean, my wife made out like a bandit on her townhouse purchase after only four years, that's how we were able to get this place. I imagine TX market is only growing so worst case it should be pretty flat.

Personally I think I'd live in Dallas area over San Antonio, but both are pretty decent/have different perks.
I’ll have to see what the outlook for that site is. Right now I believe it’s a smaller site that will house a specific department. If it requires multiple business units my team might require someone there. DFW market definitely better especially from job market and other aspects.

Traffic doe :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:56 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:17 am
I can't make any sense of the real estate market right now. It's going insane everywhere. I guess that's what happens when money is free and everyone is rich?

Buying anything right now is tough...I can't believe how expensive our immediate area has gotten.
It looks like inventory is down significantly in the US which is a major part of the issue as well. I think all of the "savvy :millennial: " that are obsessed with the real estate game buying up rentals, keeping their first property to rent when they move on, etc. is adding to these issues.

:iono: though... if the house rental market is also shit, per Cale, it's pretty :notsure: I will be staying put.
:millennial: seem to be obsessed with amassing properties...like you said, holding onto the "starter" house as a rental and moving up. Seems like a great way to overleverage yourself and set yourself up for a lot of hassle in the long run maintaining multiple properties for minimal gain. I've done the math, it doesn't work out. In the super long run once the debts are clear, I guess it starts to pay off, but that's a while and there's still the maintenance hassle.

My SIL and BIL have like 5 properties throughout Huntington Beach, they buy one, live in it, then buy the next and rent out the other. Easy because my BIL's father gives them the down payment for each property. But all we have to hear about is how hard it is and how they have to scrimp and save and :bs:

I'm also a bit bothered by this because it decimates the "starter" home inventory. People that just want to get into a simple house can't because so many are turning into rentals so those people are forced to rent houses they'd otherwise buy. I think a lot of people are going to lose their asses with buying all these properties and renting them eventually, and that's a great time to buy IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:32 am

I’ll have to see what the outlook for that site is. Right now I believe it’s a smaller site that will house a specific department. If it requires multiple business units my team might require someone there. DFW market definitely better especially from job market and other aspects.

Yeah San Antonio is odd. They are always making that weird :fakenews: claim that it is like the fourth largest city in the US or whatever but it feels very small, like the size of Winston-Salem, NC or something. Charlotte is way bigger. I can see where the traffic in SA would be much easier than Dallas which is actually one of the largest cities.
ChrisoftheNorth

Do not buy a house unless you see yourself there for 5 years minimum. Incentives or whatever don't matter if you have to move and lose your ass. Being a landlord is not the savior that :millennial: finance geniuses make it out to be.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've also never been to a part of Texas that I really care for...especially enough to live in. Austin was cool, but with all the pay area people there now, I don't think I'd be into it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:58 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:56 am

:millennial: seem to be obsessed with amassing properties...like you said, holding onto the "starter" house as a rental and moving up. Seems like a great way to overleverage yourself and set yourself up for a lot of hassle in the long run maintaining multiple properties for minimal gain. I've done the math, it doesn't work out. In the super long run once the debts are clear, I guess it starts to pay off, but that's a while and there's still the maintenance hassle.

My SIL and BIL have like 5 properties throughout Huntington Beach, they buy one, live in it, then buy the next and rent out the other. Easy because my BIL's father gives them the down payment for each property. But all we have to hear about is how hard it is and how they have to scrimp and save and :bs:

I'm also a bit bothered by this because it decimates the "starter" home inventory. People that just want to get into a simple house can't because so many are turning into rentals so those people are forced to rent houses they'd otherwise buy. I think a lot of people are going to lose their asses with buying all these properties and renting them eventually, and that's a great time to buy IMO.
Yeah I mean, I understand it can really be a great investment, particularly with the values climbing the way they have been. You are basically leveraging a banks money at 3ish% APR and the values have gone up by like 10+% annually here since 2010ish.

I am somewhat fundamentally against it for reasons you describe. No offense to those in the game, but personally I feel it goes against my liberal cuck sensibilities. I could see maybe owning a beach property or something that we actually wanted to use one day maybe, and like airBNBing it on the side, but to decimate the already low and overpriced inventory in my city isn't my thing. I also don't really want to be on the hook for another $2-3K/month.

I am not saying it's some sort of bubble that's about to pop or anything, but I'm legitimately curious to see how it all unfolds. There are also areas of the US that are cheap as hell and I wonder if now that things are remote, people will just avoid moving to places like Charlotte where this house is now $775K

And this is $464K
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 pm I've also never been to a part of Texas that I really care for...especially enough to live in. Austin was cool, but with all the pay area people there now, I don't think I'd be into it.
Yeah Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas are all OK... but I would much rather be in South FL (among other places), there is a reason it costs more. West TX is pretty :neat: but there's nothing out there, nowhere to really live/work.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:01 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:35 am

Yeah San Antonio is odd. They are always making that weird :fakenews: claim that it is like the fourth largest city in the US or whatever but it feels very small, like the size of Winston-Salem, NC or something. Charlotte is way bigger. I can see where the traffic in SA would be much easier than Dallas which is actually one of the largest cities.
They count it as city proper versus metro area. “City limits” San Antonio has 1.5M people. But SA city limits are super huge. Metro area SATX is like 2M. That counts like 15+ counties or whatever around us.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 pm I've also never been to a part of Texas that I really care for...especially enough to live in. Austin was cool, but with all the pay area people there now, I don't think I'd be into it.
San Antonio is actually 5/7 for quality of life. Cheaper cost of living, small town feel in a “high population city”. People are very nice, mix of tech and southern hospitality (unlike Austin).

We love it here. But my job prospects are :notsure: beyond this role or our development. Which might cause me to move elsewhere in the future.

So much uncertainty.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:25 pm
San Antonio is actually 5/7 for quality of life. Cheaper cost of living, small town feel in a “high population city”. People are very nice, mix of tech and southern hospitality (unlike Austin).

We love it here. But my job prospects are :notsure: beyond this role or our development. Which might cause me to move elsewhere in the future.

So much uncertainty.
Yeah Austin is fun from like a :millennial: /bar hopping scene perspective, and the river/skyline/downtown are nice, but it is pretty damn :waxer: at this point. It is like Bay Area Junior but with worse weather. :notsure: it is really worth the premium if you're not already there. It is kind of like Charlotte, I like this place a lot but at this point I'm not sure I'd recommend moving here without some kind of existing ties or great opportunity. Everything is expensive as fuck now...

If you like it there and are happy and think you will probably stay for a while, then buying a house isn't a bad idea by any means. I get the apartment disdain. My apartment complex life before buying this house was terrible.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:11 pm

Yeah I mean, I understand it can really be a great investment, particularly with the values climbing the way they have been. You are basically leveraging a banks money at 3ish% APR and the values have gone up by like 10+% annually here since 2010ish.

I am somewhat fundamentally against it for reasons you describe. No offense to those in the game, but personally I feel it goes against my liberal cuck sensibilities. I could see maybe owning a beach property or something that we actually wanted to use one day maybe, and like airBNBing it on the side, but to decimate the already low and overpriced inventory in my city isn't my thing. I also don't really want to be on the hook for another $2-3K/month.

I am not saying it's some sort of bubble that's about to pop or anything, but I'm legitimately curious to see how it all unfolds. There are also areas of the US that are cheap as hell and I wonder if now that things are remote, people will just avoid moving to places like Charlotte where this house is now $775K

And this is $464K
People are kidding themselves to think that most of real estate isn't in a bubble and that these real estate gains are sustainable. Right now, low interest rates and people being forced to sit at home are driving some pretty stupid housing purchase decisions, and once those factors start to ease (interest rate increases are happening now, more people being called back to the office, etc) I think the market will soften in some areas. Now isn't a time to invest in real estate, it's a time to find a place you want to live long term and take advantage of :mindblown: interest rates for the long run.

For me personally, the biggest unknown is the remote work thing. So many people I talk to at my office claim they would move in a second if the company announced permanent WFH. Friends we have in the Detroit area say the same. Nobody likes living there, they just do it out of necessity. I think the over-heated areas of metro Detroit (like where we moved from) could see some pretty fantastic drops in value if people can move wherever they want. But it's up to the car OEMs, and the jury is still out on the long term WFH direction there.

Charlotte is a bit different because I imagine it's more desirable overall, and if people from traditionally richer areas move in, the higher prices could be sustainable. Our immediate area has been propped up big time by money from NY and Chicago who are :mindblown: at how "cheap" a $1M house on the water is.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:00 pm

And this is $464K
People are kidding themselves to think that most of real estate isn't in a bubble and that these real estate gains are sustainable. Right now, low interest rates and people being forced to sit at home are driving some pretty stupid housing purchase decisions, and once those factors start to ease (interest rate increases are happening now, more people being called back to the office, etc) I think the market will soften in some areas. Now isn't a time to invest in real estate, it's a time to find a place you want to live long term and take advantage of :mindblown: interest rates for the long run.

For me personally, the biggest unknown is the remote work thing. So many people I talk to at my office claim they would move in a second if the company announced permanent WFH. Friends we have in the Detroit area say the same. Nobody likes living there, they just do it out of necessity. I think the over-heated areas of metro Detroit (like where we moved from) could see some pretty fantastic drops in value if people can move wherever they want. But it's up to the car OEMs, and the jury is still out on the long term WFH direction there.

Charlotte is a bit different because I imagine it's more desirable overall, and if people from traditionally richer areas move in, the higher prices could be sustainable. Our immediate area has been propped up big time by money from NY and Chicago who are :mindblown: at how "cheap" a $1M house on the water is.
What's funny is that Charlotte is now more expensive than Chicago, much of NJ/NY (not NYC itself at this point). Charlotte is certainly desirable from a location/geographical standpoint over the Midwest IMO, but I still think that as it gets really expensive, the "burden" of people moving to nicer places may transition. Areas like Winston-Salem, Durham, etc. in NC, Greenville/Spartanburg in SC, smaller cities in GA and many others will be far more affordable and offer similar access to weather, coasts, mountains, etc. if you don't need the big city for jobs.

:iono: :popcorn: :aintcare:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

And this is $464K
Wow... This is near cali pricing... I have noticed this as well. There are no "cheap" cities left. Nice homes are 7 figures now or near it pretty much in all of the "escape" routes from cali. :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And this is $464K
A picture is worth a thousand words. That second one for $464K is :disgust:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.