OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:39 pm
I make it a point to regret nothing in life, and abandoning band in college at times makes me a bit sad to think about what I might have been able to accomplish musically and who I might have met, but it was absolutely the right call. I was a bit of a follower of sorts in high school. A number of my band friends were going to my college and joining the marching band, they were also music majors...and just not something I wanted anymore. They took it too seriously, and I had many people (including my band director) tell me that I needed to study music and that I had a bright future. Fucking REALLY!? I called :yeahok: and just abandoned it all in an effort to distance myself from that nonsense. I certainly didn't want to be a starving artist my whole life. My closer friends abandoned band for engineering or other high achieving degrees at fancy schools, and I wanted to do the same and did. (fucking follower). I doubt I would have moved as much or done so much after college if I stayed in band...I probably would have had a strong social circle that kept me back. I wouldn't have been sad because I didn't know any better, but in hindsight I'm so glad that I made the decision I did.

What I didn't realize is that I probably could have figured out someway to keep playing and stay involved without going :fullretard: Sounds like Dan did it this way, and I wish I had just so I kept my chops up. I don't even know if I can play anymore, and will probably never find out.
I wound up studying Music Engineering which actually worked out fine, I am still loosely in the industry kind of. I miss playing, I was involved in a local community band pre-COVID but that is a big no now, especially since many of the members were :wap: retired people. I don't pick up the tuba at all post-COVID as it isn't really that fun to play solo, but I will keep it around for when things go back to normal. Donating it to a HS is 5/7 though, if I ever stop playing permanently I think I'll go that route over selling. My tuba is probably worth $2-3K but it would be a difficult thing to sell and it would be cool to see it go on and just get used by those who got joy out of it.

It was definitely an interesting, cult-like vibe at times though, I can understand why you :nope: out. I was in marching band freshman year at U Miami. It was a pretty cool experience going to all of the games, getting featured playing sousaphone on national TV and stuff. My parents would see me during games all the way back in NC and get excited. At the end of the year though, I had never really fit in with the marching band crew that well and bailed. No regrets on that, glad I tried it, but I had a group of friends on the "Music Engineering" side of things who were more my people.
I could have sold my trombone on eBay for ~$1,500, but shipping it would have been interesting, and if someone can afford a $1,500 horn, they probably already have another one. The money wasn't THAT important to me, but the experience is priceless. Donating it to the high school seemed like the best course of action to me and at least made me feel good. Band director gave me a letter for tax write off of $2k, so overall it was the right move.

Being on a national stage would be cool, but the cult-like thing ultimately pushed me away, agreed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:39 pm
I make it a point to regret nothing in life, and abandoning band in college at times makes me a bit sad to think about what I might have been able to accomplish musically and who I might have met, but it was absolutely the right call. I was a bit of a follower of sorts in high school. A number of my band friends were going to my college and joining the marching band, they were also music majors...and just not something I wanted anymore. They took it too seriously, and I had many people (including my band director) tell me that I needed to study music and that I had a bright future. Fucking REALLY!? I called :yeahok: and just abandoned it all in an effort to distance myself from that nonsense. I certainly didn't want to be a starving artist my whole life. My closer friends abandoned band for engineering or other high achieving degrees at fancy schools, and I wanted to do the same and did. (fucking follower). I doubt I would have moved as much or done so much after college if I stayed in band...I probably would have had a strong social circle that kept me back. I wouldn't have been sad because I didn't know any better, but in hindsight I'm so glad that I made the decision I did.

What I didn't realize is that I probably could have figured out someway to keep playing and stay involved without going :fullretard: Sounds like Dan did it this way, and I wish I had just so I kept my chops up. I don't even know if I can play anymore, and will probably never find out.
Taking these performance-based joys and going at them with 100% effort ends in brutal ways for 99% of people who try it. You're almost certainly better off for having not been a music major - WTF would you have done with that? But isn't it kind of disappointing to not play anymore? If it's something you really enjoyed it could still be fun to do dabble in even as an adult.

Personally I was obsessed with hockey back in high school. I sort of fell into playing it competitively as a fluke, though. A friend of mine was really good and was trying out for the AAA 18 and under travel team and told me to come out for tryouts sort of on a whim. I was 15 and had played nothing but house league to that point, but I went anyway. I had no business being on the ice with a bunch of mostly 17 and 18 year old guys who'd been playing at that level for years, but I was one of only two goalies to show up at tryouts and so I made the team by default. The other goalie on the team was a senior and I didn't play at all at the beginning of the year, but I worked my ass off each and every day and by the end of the year we were splitting games. I was the starting goaltender for that team my last two years in high school and had all these aspirations of playing in college. I had a stack of tryout invitations from Junior A and Junior B teams, thought I'd try that and see if I could turn that into a scholarship or something, but in the end I decided just to walk onto a D3 ACHA team in college.

Why? I didn't want to delay school to chase something that would likely never turn into anything. I'm 5'10", and if you've watched any professional hockey at all, you've probably noticed that a 6'1" goaltender is considered short these days. The guys in net are HUGE anymore. Best case I might've been a NCAA D3 or low level D1 athlete, then ended up in the beer leagues, just like I am now, but with 2 or 3 years of wasted time in junior in-between. Meh. I might not have married my wife who I met in high school had we not gone off to college together. Who knows? I'm super happy I went the route I did. I still had a lot of fun playing in college, but it didn't get in the way of the bigger picture. All roads lead to the beer leagues, whether it's college, the minors, or even the NHL.

But I will say, I'm very glad to still be playing. I absolutely love strapping the pads on, getting out on the ice each week, and stopping pucks. I still have a crazy passion for it, and I don't think I'll ever stop playing at some level as long as my body more or less holds up. I can always be a forward when the hips get too blown.
It's a fine line to walk when you're really into something and need to strike a balance with reality. I certainly miss music type things, but it's been so long I've lost track of how to even get involved again. At this point, I just strum the acoustic guitar occasionally, and play a TON of air guitar and that's the best I can come up with.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm
Marching band at a Big 10 school is a massive commitment, which was a big reason I :nope: that combined with no clear way to just dabble in music without going :fullretard: I just cut out.
That was the other reason I quit... it was like 10 hours/week of rehearsing plus games. Just a :nope: with a 20 credit hour course load, part time job, and friend/fun shit I wanted to do.
:dat: I really didn't want my life consumed by one activity.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 am
coogles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Taking these performance-based joys and going at them with 100% effort ends in brutal ways for 99% of people who try it. You're almost certainly better off for having not been a music major - WTF would you have done with that? But isn't it kind of disappointing to not play anymore? If it's something you really enjoyed it could still be fun to do dabble in even as an adult.

Personally I was obsessed with hockey back in high school. I sort of fell into playing it competitively as a fluke, though. A friend of mine was really good and was trying out for the AAA 18 and under travel team and told me to come out for tryouts sort of on a whim. I was 15 and had played nothing but house league to that point, but I went anyway. I had no business being on the ice with a bunch of mostly 17 and 18 year old guys who'd been playing at that level for years, but I was one of only two goalies to show up at tryouts and so I made the team by default. The other goalie on the team was a senior and I didn't play at all at the beginning of the year, but I worked my ass off each and every day and by the end of the year we were splitting games. I was the starting goaltender for that team my last two years in high school and had all these aspirations of playing in college. I had a stack of tryout invitations from Junior A and Junior B teams, thought I'd try that and see if I could turn that into a scholarship or something, but in the end I decided just to walk onto a D3 ACHA team in college.

Why? I didn't want to delay school to chase something that would likely never turn into anything. I'm 5'10", and if you've watched any professional hockey at all, you've probably noticed that a 6'1" goaltender is considered short these days. The guys in net are HUGE anymore. Best case I might've been a NCAA D3 or low level D1 athlete, then ended up in the beer leagues, just like I am now, but with 2 or 3 years of wasted time in junior in-between. Meh. I might not have married my wife who I met in high school had we not gone off to college together. Who knows? I'm super happy I went the route I did. I still had a lot of fun playing in college, but it didn't get in the way of the bigger picture. All roads lead to the beer leagues, whether it's college, the minors, or even the NHL.

But I will say, I'm very glad to still be playing. I absolutely love strapping the pads on, getting out on the ice each week, and stopping pucks. I still have a crazy passion for it, and I don't think I'll ever stop playing at some level as long as my body more or less holds up. I can always be a forward when the hips get too blown.
It's a fine line to walk when you're really into something and need to strike a balance with reality. I certainly miss music type things, but it's been so long I've lost track of how to even get involved again. At this point, I just strum the acoustic guitar occasionally, and play a TON of air guitar and that's the best I can come up with.
If you ever wanted to, you could get back into it (post COVID) like I have with a community band. It is pretty low key - a two hour rehearsal once a week, 0-1 hour of practice outside of that depending (tuba parts are often pretty easy, so maybe more if you were a soloist or something). The one I'm a part of has four concerts per year, which are Saturday nights, then there is optional summer band (I just take the time off typically), jazz band, etc. Obviously you don't have your 'bone now, but in the event that you ever get the itch to play again, it is a lot of fun.

You'd be surprised at the muscle memory built even after years of not playing. I didn't touch my tuba for ~6 years and just picked it up for a few hours and was fine. I'm not as good as I was in college when I was playing 10-20 hours per week as a music major, but still retain probably 70+% of that.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 am
If you ever wanted to, you could get back into it (post COVID) like I have with a community band. It is pretty low key - a two hour rehearsal once a week, 0-1 hour of practice outside of that depending (tuba parts are often pretty easy, so maybe more if you were a soloist or something). The one I'm a part of has four concerts per year, which are Saturday nights, then there is optional summer band (I just take the time off typically), jazz band, etc. Obviously you don't have your 'bone now, but in the event that you ever get the itch to play again, it is a lot of fun.

You'd be surprised at the muscle memory built even after years of not playing. I didn't touch my tuba for ~6 years and just picked it up for a few hours and was fine. I'm not as good as I was in college when I was playing 10-20 hours per week as a music major, but still retain probably 70+% of that.
I should have looked into it a bit more, but whatever...no longer having a horn takes it out of the equation.

Plus, I highly doubt there's a community band where I live. I do get curious from time to time if I could still play halfway decently. I'm sure muscle memory is :impressive: but it's been nearly 20 years since I last played :doomed:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Since the house was rented to someone else I'll post the link. Big sad

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1300 ... 1407_zpid/?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:20 pm Since the house was rented to someone else I'll post the link. Big sad

Bummer man! That is a pretty :nice: pad. What was the monthly on it out of curiosity?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Slow day around here... I've been really productive with work :doe: which is good.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:20 pm Since the house was rented to someone else I'll post the link. Big sad

Bummer man! That is a pretty :nice: pad. What was the monthly on it out of curiosity?
It was 2100/mo. The zestimate, and rental estimate have both gone up since we applied on Saturday.

Is it wrong of me to think that my friend's ugly ass ex-wheelchair moving E250 van is being looked down upon when he tours a house?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Nice porch.

What's with the knobs in the shower?
Body sprayer. And yeah the front porch is so big because there's a creek through the front yard and the house isn't visible from the road with leaves on the trees. Oh well. Looking for houses with 2 car garage and big driveway narrows the options 😂
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm

It was 2100/mo. The zestimate, and rental estimate have both gone up since we applied on Saturday.

Is it wrong of me to think that my friend's ugly ass ex-wheelchair moving E250 van is being looked down upon when he tours a house?
Dude... My wife sold her town house that we both lived in back in 2018 and we had the most challenging time finding a rental. We both had solid jobs, great credit scores, reliable rent history and we kept getting passed by on houses over and over. We ended up having to just go to an apartment complex... worst year of my life as far as my living situation.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:51 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Dude... My wife sold her town house that we both lived in back in 2018 and we had the most challenging time finding a rental. We both had solid jobs, great credit scores, reliable rent history and we kept getting passed by on houses over and over. We ended up having to just go to an apartment complex... worst year of my life as far as my living situation.
Shit. I don't want to be forced to buy immediately
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:51 pm

You will get something. I wouldn't buy at the moment, it is bananas.

My sister/BIL are trying to buy a new house at the moment. They have lost out in multiple bidding wars... they are rich too, even at a high level it's crazy. They bid $770K on a place listed at $715K over the weekend and didn't get it :wtf:

You will find a rental, it's just a :rage: inducing process. I would think in Matthews it would be a bit less competitive, :iono:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm

My sister/BIL are trying to buy a new house at the moment. They have lost out in multiple bidding wars... they are rich too, even at a high level it's crazy. They bid $770K on a place listed at $715K over the weekend and didn't get it :wtf:

You will find a rental, it's just a :rage: inducing process. I would think in Matthews it would be a bit less competitive, :iono:
Just had my friend request a tour of a place in Sardis Woods. It's brilliant. Not as cool but would suit us perfectly. Trying to not get my hopes up though now I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Just had my friend request a tour of a place in Sardis Woods. It's brilliant. Not as cool but would suit us perfectly. Trying to not get my hopes up though now I guess.
:nice: I grew up 1-2 miles from there! It is a solid area, very residential/suburban in feel with lots of mature trees, a great greenway nearby, etc. but still only 15-20 minutes from the heart of downtown. Pretty perfect.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:08 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:01 pm

:nice: I grew up 1-2 miles from there! It is a solid area, very residential/suburban in feel with lots of mature trees, a great greenway nearby, etc. but still only 15-20 minutes from the heart of downtown. Pretty perfect.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Need a new router, my Apple AirPort Extreme is having problems losing packets. Home isn't very big but it is 2 story and a long rectangle. Internet connection is at the very front. Home office is at the very back. Can't hard wire it. Don't want it to look like shit. Work laptop is wifi6, so a wifi6 router might be good?

Think a mesh system would work well without looking horrible. Router at the front of the house, access point on same level at the back of the house, should help beam the signal upstairs and eliminate dead spots.

Google Nest?
Linksys Velop?
Both of those are easily scalable unlike the Netgear Orbi. Linksys can utilize a hardwire connection between the two points if needed or available, Nest can't.
Eero is out, no way am I using some Amazon owned crap

Internet connection is only like 100 mb or something. So I don't need blazing fast speed, but maybe something better than the 5-10 down / 1 up I'm currently getting in the home office. A connection that slow and with that many drop outs is hell when you're trying to use a 5 county wide gas system model on VPN.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm Need a new router, my Apple AirPort Extreme is having problems losing packets. Home isn't very big but it is 2 story and a long rectangle. Internet connection is at the very front. Home office is at the very back. Can't hard wire it. Don't want it to look like shit. Work laptop is wifi6, so a wifi6 router might be good?

Think a mesh system would work well without looking horrible. Router at the front of the house, access point on same level at the back of the house, should help beam the signal upstairs and eliminate dead spots.

Google Nest?
Linksys Velop?
Both of those are easily scalable unlike the Netgear Orbi. Linksys can utilize a hardwire connection between the two points if needed or available, Nest can't.

Internet connection is only like 100 mb or something. So I don't need blazing fast speed, but maybe something better than the 5-10 down / 1 up I'm currently getting in the home office. A connection that slow and with that many drop outs is hell when you're trying to use a 5 county wide gas system model on VPN.
I would check out Ubiquiti Unifi.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm Need a new router, my Apple AirPort Extreme is having problems losing packets. Home isn't very big but it is 2 story and a long rectangle. Internet connection is at the very front. Home office is at the very back. Can't hard wire it. Don't want it to look like shit. Work laptop is wifi6, so a wifi6 router might be good?

Google Nest?
Linksys Velop?

I've got the Orbi and it's served us well. One base and one satellite for our place - plaster and lath construction necessitated it. Similar layout to yours - main router in the front, satellite in the office in the back.

Whatever do you mean by 'easily scalable' ?
I could buy one and then just add on if I deem I need it. I think the Orbi requires you buy at least the two things. But maybe that's not a bad call anyway. Seems like a really strong system with the dedicated band for backhauling.
Johnny_P

Ordered the Orbi, hopefully it speeds up my internet upstairs :troywax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:09 pm Ordered the Orbi, hopefully it speeds up my internet upstairs :troywax:
It should, if the wifi itself is the bottleneck. We've had ours for 3 years, and the network speed is quick AF.
:dat: even at 100 mb you’re probably still hung up by the crappy router, especially with one at the edge of an old house.

I bet it will be quite :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:09 pm Ordered the Orbi, hopefully it speeds up my internet upstairs :troywax:
Late to the game, but I've got a mesh system in the bunker. A google wifi setup.

I'm dealing with multiple-foot think concrete walls/ceilings between rooms/levels, and 3 google wifi points provide :impressive: fast internet through the entire property including outside. I was even able to move the modem into the furnace room and ran a CAT6 to the main google wifi router in the living room. It's been fantastic. Mesh is perfect for situations like yours and mine.

My dad installed an Orbi setup at his house and found a similar excellent experience to my google wifi. Really 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:28 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 pm

It should, if the wifi itself is the bottleneck. We've had ours for 3 years, and the network speed is quick AF.
:dat: even at 100 mb you’re probably still hung up by the crappy router, especially with one at the edge of an old house.

I bet it will be quite :nice:
We get 100mb internet, and at the modem it's usually ~120. Downstairs past multiple multiple-foot thick concrete walls, I still see 60 with the mesh system. Before the mesh system (I was just using one google router), downstairs was a complete dead zone, lucky to see maybe 5mb if I could get things to connect at all.

Routers are so often overlooked. Go mesh and forget it.

You do need to play with placement of the points just a bit to maximize speed. Downstairs, I put a point in the closet and it didn't do anything. I moved it just outside of the closet and BAM fast internet. Same thing with the tower.
ChrisoftheNorth

I can't make any sense of the real estate market right now. It's going insane everywhere. I guess that's what happens when money is free and everyone is rich?

Buying anything right now is tough...I can't believe how expensive our immediate area has gotten.