OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Those cities on your list are...........not the same. Some have renaissance merit.......Cleveland, Omaha. Some are still pure garbage....Topeka. Des Moines has a shitton or insurance jerbs.
I agree (as well as on Odessa ( :disgust: )... but there are houses in those places and people need to live somewhere. Supply and demand dictates that there should be cheap houses for sale in Topeka and remote workers stuck in studio apartments in Los Angeles wanting more space. Some people would choose a 3K square foot house in shitsville given the option.

I am thankful that I already own a house in non shitsville and I have a pretty good paying job. Many aren't so lucky.
That is incredibly uncommon. Very few people want to live in TimBuk2. There are many reasons why certain regions cost more than others. And it isn't some random "markup due to stupidity". The playing field has gotten far more even lately... and the gap is considerably more narrow. You have near price parity between downtown Austin and SF. 3 years ago it was 1:3
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Check his sig. You bought and sold three houses in Detroit in part because you are a pinshitting hoe. Every day that you live in a shitty apartment with cf is a day of mediocrity and he's tired of it. I don't think it's much of a leap to :gtfo: and the construction prices he is talking about...... He might as well be building in Fargo.
:dat: I think Rudy is actually one of the best on this forum for choosing happiness from the hand he's dealt. He has made the best of an unexpected :baby: , two new to him cities, being stuck working at Target, hell even this house thing is really the first complaint I've heard around the apartment. If I was in an apartment with :baby: + :tits: I would likely be bitching about it on here daily.
Honestly it’s not even THAT bad. We have a 1,200 sq ft 2/2 10 mins from my jerb for like $1,054/month base rent. We’d just like a bit more space and no shared walls if possible.

We may end up renting until we decide if this is the place doe we settle down in.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm

:dat: I think Rudy is actually one of the best on this forum for choosing happiness from the hand he's dealt. He has made the best of an unexpected :baby: , two new to him cities, being stuck working at Target, hell even this house thing is really the first complaint I've heard around the apartment. If I was in an apartment with :baby: + :tits: I would likely be bitching about it on here daily.
Honestly it’s not even THAT bad. We have a 1,200 sq ft 2/2 10 mins from my jerb for like $1,054/month base rent. We’d just like a bit more space and no shared walls if possible.

We may end up renting until we decide if this is the place doe we settle down in.
IIWY I'd try to rent a free standing house before I bought.....
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:06 pm

I would rather be in an apartment in a nice place than a house in the middle of no where. And most of the US population agrees which is why things have gotten way more urban as of late minus the plague induced correction.
Yeah I would too... but I think there are those who disagree, particularly post-COVID. I think COVID will result in changes probably for the rest of our lives. Some people will be scared of social events and crowds for many years. I am personally a more outgoing human and enjoy crowds most times. I do love a nice session in the woods with few around, but in general enjoy city life, concerts, sporting events, etc.

Once my second Pfizer is kicked in I plan to go back to my previous way of life as much as I can (obviously plus a mask in public and some other basic precautions until further notice). I have tickets for Weezer, Green Day, and Fall Out Boy this summer for example (date was moved last year) and will be going if they still have it. I will probably go to the Coke 600 here in CLT as well.
I am hoping to score tickets to this tour when it hits Hershey....
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:47 pm

:dat: is true, the sprawl communities are not good investment typically. They are the only places that are still below 2008 levels, at least around here and other places I've looked like Las Vegas and Phoenix.
:dat:, and the farther out the worse it gets. Fingers crossed our place maintains its value, it's just on the other side of the county/city divide, so we're in the suburban school district (desirable), but about as close as you can be to downtown and still be outside the county. We still don't like it here, but homes in the 'hood seem to move quickly, here's to hoping they still will when we want to move in 5 or 6 years.
This is a huge factor that completely tips the scales on everything we are talking about.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:56 pm

I agree (as well as on Odessa ( :disgust: )... but there are houses in those places and people need to live somewhere. Supply and demand dictates that there should be cheap houses for sale in Topeka and remote workers stuck in studio apartments in Los Angeles wanting more space. Some people would choose a 3K square foot house in shitsville given the option.

I am thankful that I already own a house in non shitsville and I have a pretty good paying job. Many aren't so lucky.
That is incredibly uncommon. Very few people want to live in TimBuk2. There are many reasons why certain regions cost more than others. And it isn't some random "markup due to stupidity". The playing field has gotten far more even lately... and the gap is considerably more narrow. You have near price parity between downtown Austin and SF. 3 years ago it was 1:3
You can inundate me with epic accusations of liberal commie scum Pelosi and her army of homeless needleheads and there is no planet on which I would choose to live in Austin over SF, dollar to dollar.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I dunno man, people want huge houses per Eric's comment. My sister and her family are chomping at the bit to pay 10% over asking for one of these $700-800K mansions in the boonies when they have a great house in Charlotte already. They can't even get one because they are losing every bidding war, despite offering like $50K due diligence and way over asking. This is all because they want a huge house, their current one is 2200 sq. ft. with two car garage in a really nice neighborhood like five miles from the center of the city. It's not the same as moving to Topeka, but people are greedy with this shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:21 pm

You can inundate me with epic accusations of liberal commie scum Pelosi and her army of homeless needleheads and there is no planet on which I would choose to live in Austin over SF, dollar to dollar.
:dat:

Austin is cool and all but it is still a big brown blob with really hot summers. Like, it is better than a lot of places, but SF is the most expensive for a reason - epic views, epic weather, epic proximity to some crazy beauty. Austin has none of that.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:34 pm

I dunno man, people want huge houses per Eric's comment. My sister and her family are chomping at the bit to pay 10% over asking for one of these $700-800K mansions in the boonies when they have a great house in Charlotte already. They can't even get one because they are losing every bidding war, despite offering like $50K due diligence and way over asking. This is all because they want a huge house, their current one is 2200 sq. ft. with two car garage in a really nice neighborhood like five miles from the center of the city. It's not the same as moving to Topeka, but people are greedy with this shit.
Well she is not exactly the person at hand. She wants more space for reasons XYZ. I am just stating that City life offers things beyond square footage that is valued by the majority of the population. Yes once you reach a certain social status, you have a condo in a city for M-F and a house for the weekends elsewhere. But most reach a compromise here and there. The covid fueled rush to the burbs will taper off once the liberal cucks go back to their craft brews, $20 avocado toasts with Farm to table eggs, grindR apps, and Burning man decompression parties. That is on the todo...

People in blue states have been cucked up for so long they will certainly outdo the Trumpers when it comes to social gatherings and blatant mingling in the near future. At the end of the day those that locked down the most have been the most social part of the society, and I don't foresee that changing to a get off my lawn type.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:21 pm

Austin is cool and all but it is still a big brown blob with really hot summers. Like, it is better than a lot of places, but SF is the most expensive for a reason - epic views, epic weather, epic proximity to some crazy beauty. Austin has none of that.
Lake TrAvIs with all it's natural brown water beauty BRO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:37 pm

I mean, we were just there and did in fact witness a gorgeous sunset at the Oasis. I'm not saying it sucks, just that it is NOT San Francisco, which is the most beautiful city in the continental US IMO. Everything is compromise. SF is really expensive, has the worst homeless, bad traffic... but you have to pay for the epic weather and natural beauty somehow.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:56 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:41 pm

I mean, we were just there and did in fact witness a gorgeous sunset at the Oasis. I'm not saying it sucks, just that it is NOT San Francisco, which is the most beautiful city in the continental US IMO. Everything is compromise. SF is really expensive, has the worst homeless, bad traffic... but you have to pay for the epic weather and natural beauty somehow.
Agreed on all but the traffic. Ain't nobody driving out there. Unless you want to get your car broken into
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Irish wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:11 pm

IIWY I'd try to rent a free standing house before I bought.....
That’s what I meant. Kind of a stretch to do it on one income but we may go the part time daycare + :tits: working route which would basically end up pushing income a bit to afford the 2-300/month more on a house.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:56 pm

Agreed on all but the traffic. Ain't nobody driving out there. Unless you want to get your car broken into
Maybe not SF proper... but I recall sitting in traffic for over 3 hours to pay for the privilege to cross the Bay Bridge :disgust: The South Bay area can be pretty bad too. It is probably better with COVID plus more and more :waxer: :millennials: abandoning cars.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:20 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Maybe not SF proper... but I recall sitting in traffic for over 3 hours to pay for the privilege to cross the Bay Bridge :disgust: The South Bay area can be pretty bad too. It is probably better with COVID plus more and more :waxer: :millennials: abandoning cars.
Right... Since covid this sort of hasn't been a thing. And as mentioned there are different ways to cross into SF from outside of SF. And via car is reserved to certain hours of the day/night.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

cries in DMV, also houses are rumored to be even more expensive since Amazon will build new headquarters in Crystal City around 2023.

Also :dat: on second paragraph, if you're sure to live there for quite a long time, then buying it is.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:47 pm

:dat: is true, the sprawl communities are not good investment typically. They are the only places that are still below 2008 levels, at least around here and other places I've looked like Las Vegas and Phoenix.
:dat:, and the farther out the worse it gets. Fingers crossed our place maintains its value, it's just on the other side of the county/city divide, so we're in the suburban school district (desirable), but about as close as you can be to downtown and still be outside the county. We still don't like it here, but homes in the 'hood seem to move quickly, here's to hoping they still will when we want to move in 5 or 6 years.
I actually believe that areas like yours will appreciate while cities drop a bit. The big reason people don't flock to live in suburban areas is commute distance, I heard it all the time around Detroit. Take the commute out of the equation, and people will want to move, but likely not THAT far from friends, family, and civilization. I bet you'll do just fine on your place.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:41 pm

I actually believe that areas like yours will appreciate while cities drop a bit. The big reason people don't flock to live in suburban areas is commute distance, I heard it all the time around Detroit. Take the commute out of the equation, and people will want to move, but likely not THAT far from friends, family, and civilization. I bet you'll do just fine on your place.
My entire friend circle has uprooted. I think literally 80% of people that I knew moved last year. Some within SF to take a advantage of the rent breaks. 2 to Austin and one to boulder area. I would honestly not think that being in Austin is all that great at the moment. There are way too many people that are moving there...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:41 pm
My entire friend circle has uprooted. I think literally 80% of people that I knew moved last year. Some within SF to take a advantage of the rent breaks. 2 to Austin and one to boulder area. I would honestly not think that being in Austin is all that great at the moment. There are way too many people that are moving there...

If I was to move right now, it would be into a city, buy while it's low, sell while it's high.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:41 pm I actually believe that areas like yours will appreciate while cities drop a bit. The big reason people don't flock to live in suburban areas is commute distance, I heard it all the time around Detroit. Take the commute out of the equation, and people will want to move, but likely not THAT far from friends, family, and civilization. I bet you'll do just fine on your place.
Cheers to that. Hope so!

Although what you say about not needing to worry about a commute does make it easier to move farther out. I do suspect we’ll begin to see housing starts pick up with prices being what they are and at least some sort of Covid recovery, plus it’s not like our house is going to get more desirable as it gets older. It was built in 1999, it’s not good old. Small sample size, but we know two couples moving right now and both are opting to build.

Still, it’s in the right price point for a lot of people in that it isn’t in a neighborhood that’s super pricey, but it’s a noticeable step up from the vinyl village type BS . Time will tell.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:19 pm

If I was to move right now, it would be into a city, buy while it's low, sell while it's high.
City prices haven’t dropped yet... everyone holding the line at the moment. Commercial cratering and being converted into residential ... is really the key..
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:34 pm

Well she is not exactly the person at hand. She wants more space for reasons XYZ. I am just stating that City life offers things beyond square footage that is valued by the majority of the population. Yes once you reach a certain social status, you have a condo in a city for M-F and a house for the weekends elsewhere. But most reach a compromise here and there. The covid fueled rush to the burbs will taper off once the liberal cucks go back to their craft brews, $20 avocado toasts with Farm to table eggs, grindR apps, and Burning man decompression parties. That is on the todo...

People in blue states have been cucked up for so long they will certainly outdo the Trumpers when it comes to social gatherings and blatant mingling in the near future. At the end of the day those that locked down the most have been the most social part of the society, and I don't foresee that changing to a get off my lawn type.
Absolutely agree, there's a reason why you have a small as kitchen even though you're paying at least $2,000 for it (ie. NY, DC, pay area, etc.). I remember in sociology is you pay more for a way smaller place, but it's built like that for a purpose so you can get out and enjoy your :waxer: ramen bars and vegan spots.

I can totally relate growing up in Istanbul, before we moved to the US, we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment that was probably 700 sq feet, which is not cheap to say the very least. Tiny kitchen, shared bathroom and it takes about 15 mins to walk to the city center, which would be hell to quarantine or even own a car unless you're willing to pay assload of money for a parking garage. Then we moved to the continental asian part where it is less cramped, switched to a 3 bedroom apartment that's around 1,400 sq feet (where I am right now), huge living room compared to the last apt, got our own parking lot for the building so we never worried about coming home in certain time like in a night out just to end up searching for a spot for good 30 mins (and people tell me why dc parking is not that much of an issue for me). I coped with lockdowns just fine as long as I have my essentials.

A bunch of my friends here have summer homes as well, including the islands in the south of the city (myself and grandparents included) that would go there for a retreat. Now with the corona and wfm, fewer of my friends and their parents (some of which are retired) rarely go into the city or once a week, etc.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:38 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:25 pm

City prices haven’t dropped yet... everyone holding the line at the moment. Commercial cratering and being converted into residential ... is really the key..
I haven't really looked at purchasing city homes, but rents here have dropped in center city. Everyone wants that 'burb life.

We managed to work this out quite well with an in-city/close to shit house on a .22 acre lot. Sure, house/land aren't huge, but we have our own space which is :nice:

It would be :neat: to be in the 'burbs right now (and the past year) but the perks of this area are coming back. Hell, I rode my bike to four breweries Saturday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:40 pm

Absolutely agree, there's a reason why you have a small as kitchen even though you're paying at least $2,000 for it (ie. NY, DC, pay area, etc.). I remember in sociology is you pay more for a way smaller place, but it's built like that for a purpose so you can get out and enjoy your :waxer: ramen bars and vegan spots.

I can totally relate growing up in Istanbul, before we moved to the US, we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment that was probably 700 sq feet, which is not cheap to say the very least. Tiny kitchen, shared bathroom and it takes about 15 mins to walk to the city center, which would be hell to quarantine or even own a car unless you're willing to pay assload of money for a parking garage. Then we moved to the continental asian part where it is less cramped, switched to a 3 bedroom apartment that's around 1,400 sq feet (where I am right now), huge living room compared to the last apt, got our own parking lot for the building so we never worried about coming home in certain time like in a night out just to end up searching for a spot for good 30 mins (and people tell me why dc parking is not that much of an issue for me). I coped with lockdowns just fine as long as I have my essentials.

A bunch of my friends here have summer homes as well, including the islands in the south of the city (myself and grandparents included) that would go there for a retreat. Now with the corona and wfm, fewer of my friends and their parents (some of which are retired) rarely go into the city or once a week, etc.
Are your parents over there at the moment as well? Sounds like a :notbad: setup, particularly the islands homes :waxer:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79-C ... e=txtshare

Going to see if we can get in to check this place out. :jimp: