OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:30 pm
You're starting to see things the way I've converted a bit...cars are an immense use of resources...time, money, natural resources. It's why I'm not antsy to buy another thing that requires work or is super fun because fun comes at the expense of so many other things. These days, I'd much rather ride my bike, go for a hike, or paddle around the water than drive a car around, but that's just me.

In your case...you already have the car, it's not worth a ton, and it's really not hurting anything to keep it. I wouldn't off it personally. I debated hard with going down to one vehicle in the household, but ultimately do value my freedom to leave independent of the wife, even though I never do. Which is why my vehicle will become nothing more than a tool to get things done.
:dat:

It is dumb to off it, truly. With the jacked up ride height it is perfectly fine for DD (what minimal is required). I do have the free all seasons on my old wheels from Cale too, I'll throw those on and go with it. It also can haul bikes and plenty of shit and I have way more money into in in "pointless mods" than it's worth. I think I've done about 10 track days each year in '19/'20, I doubt I'll do that much year, but I do think it'll be fun to have the option periodically.

I guess the temptation is 50% :plac: and 50% the feeling that something a little newer and more usable would be nice to have instead, like an R56 MINI or MazdaSpeed 3 or something.

It is probably a losing battle to :plac: with car values so up though, I don't think I'd be able to capitalize on that with my Corvette, it is just too high miles and has too many rock chips/track damages to be worthwhile to "Corvette people".
I like having my car even though I don't use it. It's fun to take 1 mile to the grocery store. Not $500/mo fun for the ~200 miles/mo I drive, but apparently Carvana et al don't have any interest in buying it. I've tried to get quotes like 5 times now and never gotten a number... Brand new car is worthless because it's not a motherfucking TRUCK.

:thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 pm
D Griff wrote:
:dat:

It is dumb to off it, truly. With the jacked up ride height it is perfectly fine for DD (what minimal is required). I do have the free all seasons on my old wheels from Cale too, I'll throw those on and go with it. It also can haul bikes and plenty of shit and I have way more money into in in "pointless mods" than it's worth. I think I've done about 10 track days each year in '19/'20, I doubt I'll do that much year, but I do think it'll be fun to have the option periodically.

I guess the temptation is 50% :plac: and 50% the feeling that something a little newer and more usable would be nice to have instead, like an R56 MINI or MazdaSpeed 3 or something.

It is probably a losing battle to :plac: with car values so up though, I don't think I'd be able to capitalize on that with my Corvette, it is just too high miles and has too many rock chips/track damages to be worthwhile to "Corvette people".
I like having my car even though I don't use it. It's fun to take 1 mile to the grocery store. Not $500/mo fun for the ~200 miles/mo I drive, but apparently Carvana et al don't have any interest in buying it. I've tried to get quotes like 5 times now and never gotten a number... Brand new car is worthless because it's not a motherfucking TRUCK.

:thisisfine:
It's worthless because they don't know what it is. These things work on auction data, and there isn't sufficient sample of your special edition for them to be able to value it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

wap wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:44 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am

I have four more metatarsal bones to break, keep talking.
I once broke the 5th metatarsal on my clutch foot when I had my Scirocco. Was in a boot for 3 weeks. I HATED being driven around for 2 weeks so the third week I gritted my teeth and drove in a boot. The 'Rocco's clutch was fairly soft but it did hurt. But when you're young your bones heal quick. Now? :wap: :(
Same injury, right foot. Losing the dexterity for the gas pedal is frustrating, and the boot is so large that it fills the footwell.
I just tuck my right leg by the seat and have gotten quite proficient driving with my left.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:12 pm

You're probably right... I guess I'm just at that point I condemned in the past when others have been here. But I just don't really give a shit, I would kinda rather go ride my bike or do something outside if I have a full weekend/day free than go spend $500 at the track polluting the planet. I think if I gave up all of that though, I would miss it.

I would also tire of not having a car pretty quickly. :tits: has the :jeep: at work all day every day and while rare, I do sometimes want to drive somewhere. I still have fun driving the Corvette so not much reason to dump it for next to nothing.

I guess I need to switch over to my "winters" soon.
You're starting to see things the way I've converted a bit...cars are an immense use of resources...time, money, natural resources. It's why I'm not antsy to buy another thing that requires work or is super fun because fun comes at the expense of so many other things. These days, I'd much rather ride my bike, go for a hike, or paddle around the water than drive a car around, but that's just me.

In your case...you already have the car, it's not worth a ton, and it's really not hurting anything to keep it. I wouldn't off it personally. I debated hard with going down to one vehicle in the household, but ultimately do value my freedom to leave independent of the wife, even though I never do. Which is why my vehicle will become nothing more than a tool to get things done.
I haven't driven something fun in two weeks and I'm having withdrawals.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:32 am I haven't had to "daily" anything in months. That's my favorite.
:dat: A part of me recently has debated just offing the C5 and going full hipster no car life.

I would pick up something else fun down the line of course.
This crap makes me feel things, buy I don't have confidence that I can drive it and not get stranded. A gen 1 in clean condition is like $9k and

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/mr2/ ... &modalXS=1

This one receives more love, and boom I'm rounding $20k after tax for a toy.

Local C5 game is pretty strong, :wat: are you getting for yours locally?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/c ... X9&sprx=-1
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:39 pm
wap wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:44 pm

I once broke the 5th metatarsal on my clutch foot when I had my Scirocco. Was in a boot for 3 weeks. I HATED being driven around for 2 weeks so the third week I gritted my teeth and drove in a boot. The 'Rocco's clutch was fairly soft but it did hurt. But when you're young your bones heal quick. Now? :wap: :(
Same injury, right foot. Losing the dexterity for the gas pedal is frustrating, and the boot is so large that it fills the footwell.
I just tuck my right leg by the seat and have gotten quite proficient driving with my left.
Hope it heals up quick, :melon: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:03 pm

:dat: A part of me recently has debated just offing the C5 and going full hipster no car life.

I would pick up something else fun down the line of course.
This crap makes me feel things, buy I don't have confidence that I can drive it and not get stranded. A gen 1 in clean condition is like $9k and

This one receives more love, and boom I'm rounding $20k after tax for a toy.

Local C5 game is pretty strong, :wat: are you getting for yours locally?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/c ... X9&sprx=-1
MR2 :jimp:

I haven't paid a ton of attention to C5s TBH. https://www.autotempest.com/results?mak ... ission=man Looks like they are rather high, but :iono: mine has higher mileage than all of those (115K). It is better maintained than most but the paint is 10' status, it's gotten a lot of rock chips and stuff from track use. I think that would negate any desirability the 50AE may add. I just don't see anyone actually paying more than maybe $11-12K for it, even if most are listed for high teens, as long as there are one or two only asking $13Kish with 50k less miles, why would anyone pay that for my car?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:01 pm MR2 :jimp:

I haven't paid a ton of attention to C5s TBH. https://www.autotempest.com/results?mak ... ission=man Looks like they are rather high, but :iono: mine has higher mileage than all of those (115K). It is better maintained than most but the paint is 10' status, it's gotten a lot of rock chips and stuff from track use. I think that would negate any desirability the 50AE may add. I just don't see anyone actually paying more than maybe $11-12K for it, even if most are listed for high teens, as long as there are one or two only asking $13Kish with 50k less miles, why would anyone pay that for my car?
Bottom 30% probably get sold so you probably want to price it at 13k and big up the "upgrades". I'm sure there are a few people that would rather have one that's mechanically sorted and don't mind spending the extra on a hood/bumper respray. Who knows, I'd tell you to keep it because it is so cheap to own but I like being free of the extra insurance/repair/etc costs personally so who am I to talk.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:01 pm MR2 :jimp:

Bottom 30% probably get sold so you probably want to price it at 13k and big up the "upgrades". I'm sure there are a few people that would rather have one that's mechanically sorted and don't mind spending the extra on a hood/bumper respray. Who knows, I'd tell you to keep it because it is so cheap to own but I like being free of the extra insurance/repair/etc costs personally so who am I to talk.
Nah, you're right, it is truly cheap as hell to own. We pay like sub $1K for year for full coverage on both people and both cars, the C5 is maybe $300/year. I spend a fair chunk on maintenance, but that is 95% due to track use, which is sort of its own expense, IMO. The car itself, if just driven around in, doesn't ask for much.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:46 pm Wtf it looks different again now..
That's the basic PHPBB skin. I was tweaking the CSS code to try to fix an issue that apparently only I might have been seeing.

So, here's a question for everyone - when you look at a thread, does anyone see the user info not aligned with the post, like this?

I'm hoping it's just an issue for me, because every other device I've tested it on in my household displays it normally, like this:

I certainly have this problem. And I still have a log in problem on my phone where every time I leave the site I have to log in again. (iPhone 11Promax + Safari)
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:41 pm

I used to get that way. Then I just sold everything and stopped cold turkey and don't really care anymore.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:42 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 pm

That's the basic PHPBB skin. I was tweaking the CSS code to try to fix an issue that apparently only I might have been seeing.

So, here's a question for everyone - when you look at a thread, does anyone see the user info not aligned with the post, like this?

I'm hoping it's just an issue for me, because every other device I've tested it on in my household displays it normally, like this:

I certainly have this problem. And I still have a log in problem on my phone where every time I leave the site I have to log in again. (iPhone 11Promax + Safari)
Try clearing browsing data. I've had this issue before and it tends to be resolved by wiping browsing data.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:00 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:41 pm

I used to get that way. Then I just sold everything and stopped cold turkey and don't really care anymore.
No judgement. I'll always be into cars, it's who I am.
I'm itching for another project of some sort TBH.

I need to do maintenance on my main vehicles first doe.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

What the fuck is up dog
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yeah my giveafucks has dropped into the mariana trench since early October. Winter depression plus some other things in my life really have me not taking care of anything, and my temper has gone through the roof.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Same here on the no fucks. And people keep talking politics all over and I want them to :stfu: none of this shit matters.
wap

And this time change :bs: can go and fuck itself sideways. :gtfo:
troyguitar

wap wrote:And this time change :bs: can go and fuck itself sideways. :gtfo:
You don't like eternal darkness? :doomed:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 pm
wap wrote:And this time change :bs: can go and fuck itself sideways. :gtfo:
You don't like eternal darkness? :doomed:
:nope:
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 pm You don't like eternal darkness? :doomed:
Too bad.

I just love cold gray salty darkness, which is why I'm so happy to be stuck in fucking New York. Isn't life grand? :rolleyes:

Someone remind me again why I should be happy.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 pm
wap wrote:
Too bad.

I just love cold gray salty darkness, which is why I'm so happy to be stuck in fucking New York. Isn't life grand? :rolleyes:

You're about 2hrs closer to the promised land than me. That's gotta count for something right?
troyguitar

CaleDeRoo wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 pm Too bad.

You're about 2hrs closer to the promised land than me. That's gotta count for something right?
I wish. Seems like Rochester is not worse than here generally though (plus it has some real city amenities). Not that it's a high bar.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 pm
wap wrote:
Too bad.

Fall colors :iono:
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:37 pm Too bad.

Fall colors :iono:
The wind and snow today removed most of those. :eeyore: for the next 6-8 months.
wap

So the snow won't melt before April?