OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:44 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:42 pm

Life doesn't have a simple path unfortunately we all live and learn presumably. Curious to see where things go from here... I wouldn't count vehicles out at the moment. Some things are still available while at sticker, given the certain inflation in MSRPs over the next 2 years I would say it isn't completely the worst time to buy. In particular a Tesla. Which is still readily available etc.
:dat:

It certainly keeps it from being boring :doe:

:iono: , just have to find things to enjoy all of the time, they don't all have to be financially related at all. I get a tremendous amount of joy riding my bikes and cuddling my dog, having dinner out with my wife, hanging with friends on the patio, having some dranks.

This place feels a bit :eeyore: today. We certainly live in unprecendented times, but we have to make the best of it. Living in a sweet modern cabin with views of Lake Michigan, owning an Aquatic Brub Tub, etc. doesn't exactly suck.
Just my time for :eeyore: The weather is fucking garbage and I'm over it. This happens to me every year around this time. I want winter gone and it just won't fuck off all the way. I absolutely hate April/early May.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 am

:iono: , just have to find things to enjoy all of the time, they don't all have to be financially related at all. I get a tremendous amount of joy riding my bikes and cuddling my dog, having dinner out with my wife, hanging with friends on the patio, having some dranks.

This place feels a bit :eeyore: today. We certainly live in unprecendented times, but we have to make the best of it. Living in a sweet modern cabin with views of Lake Michigan, owning an Aquatic Brub Tub, etc. doesn't exactly suck.
:wrong:

The only path to happiness is the buying power of the dollar.
Just makes me :eeyore: to think that all the cash I've hoarded is increasingly worthless by the day. Being "responsible" might end up being incredibly stupid.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 am

:wrong:

The only path to happiness is the buying power of the dollar.
Just makes me :eeyore: to think that all the cash I've hoarded is increasingly worthless by the day. Being "responsible" might end up being incredibly stupid.
:word:

I "get it"

I just try not to get worked up over things I can't control. I'll deal with it if/when the time comes. :wrong: :thisisfine: :aintcare:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 am

I "get it"

I just try not to get worked up over things I can't control. I'll deal with it if/when the time comes. :wrong: :thisisfine: :aintcare:
Well, I could just blow all my money on stuff with hopes that the stuff will maintain value better. I'm also :scrooge: AF and should probably yolo a bit. There's just not much I'm that interested in anymore.

I'd love to build a heated toy shed large enough to fit a lift in so I can store the boat and maybe a side by side or Jeep or something, but that's a crazy :waxer: proposition right now and adds $0 to the value of the house.

I generally follow your attitude :doe: I need the weather to improve so I can go the fuck outside where I want to be and stop dwelling on crap I can't control.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04 am

Just my time for :eeyore: The weather is fucking garbage and I'm over it. This happens to me every year around this time. I want winter gone and it just won't fuck off all the way. I absolutely hate April/early May.
:word: I was in a pretty bad spot in February and it is probably the equivalent to April in Meatchicken... you've taken about as much winter as you can take, you see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you just can't reach it. COVID makes it a lot worse, at least in the past, one could drink away winter sorrows inside a bar.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:46 pm Well, my boss called me today to tell me that they are extending an offer to an external candidate for a promotion I had previously been promised.

:disappoint: :ohwell:
:fshitup:
:wtf: Asshole move to pull on you, dude.
Yep, now I am really struggling to find motivation :ohwell:

I still have it pretty good with this job. It's just kind of aggravating, they keep adding on these management bits to my job that I have very clearly stated I'm not interested in, and what they promised (which is what I'm interested in) is now going to someone else because she was "too good to pass up" (she applied for a different role entirely).

Meh. At least there's other stuff to look forward to, it's mountain biking season, got some good travel/trips planned, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 am

I "get it"

Well, I could just blow all my money on stuff with hopes that the stuff will maintain value better. I'm also :scrooge: AF and should probably yolo a bit. There's just not much I'm that interested in anymore.

I'd love to build a heated toy shed large enough to fit a lift in so I can store the boat and maybe a side by side or Jeep or something, but that's a crazy :waxer: proposition right now and adds $0 to the value of the house.

I generally follow your attitude :doe: I need the weather to improve so I can go the fuck outside where I want to be and stop dwelling on crap I can't control.
I would focus more on doing some stuff versus buying shit. You have money you can spend, you got your COVID shots, fly somewhere cool for a long weekend, go rent a MTB in the Southwest somewhere, etc.

:iono: I do get it though, hope the weather turns for you ASAP. That did wonders to cheer me the fuck up. Getting out on my MTB is probably the best part of my weeks at the moment. The wife and I also started a "Thursday night date night" tradition where we walk/ride our bikes to a restaurant in our hood each week since this is sort of our first opportunity to do that since moving in in January '20. It's a fun evening together and something we can both look forward to. We skip drinks since it's a Thursday, so it's not terribly :waxer: either. We even get ice cream sometimes :megusta:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 am

I still have it pretty good with this job. It's just kind of aggravating, they keep adding on these management bits to my job that I have very clearly stated I'm not interested in, and what they promised (which is what I'm interested in) is now going to someone else because she was "too good to pass up" (she applied for a different role entirely).

Meh. At least there's other stuff to look forward to, it's mountain biking season, got some good travel/trips planned, etc.
:dat: is the way. :whocares: what you can't do anything about and bike yourself to :aintcare: status.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04 am
:word: I was in a pretty bad spot in February and it is probably the equivalent to April in Meatchicken... you've taken about as much winter as you can take, you see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you just can't reach it. COVID makes it a lot worse, at least in the past, one could drink away winter sorrows inside a bar.
There are bars open around us, but we drink way less than we used to and just don't get that much enjoyment out of that scene anymore. COVID has made it hard because we can't easily make new friends either. The repetition is just getting old, and the weather simply refuses to cooperate with anything remotely hospitable toward outside activity.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:11 pm

There are bars open around us, but we drink way less than we used to and just don't get that much enjoyment out of that scene anymore. COVID has made it hard because we can't easily make new friends either. The repetition is just getting old, and the weather simply refuses to cooperate with anything remotely hospitable toward outside activity.
Buy a motor for the boat and slap a big ol cam in it.

For zero reason other than to just do it. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:54 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am

I would focus more on doing some stuff versus buying shit. You have money you can spend, you got your COVID shots, fly somewhere cool for a long weekend, go rent a MTB in the Southwest somewhere, etc.

:iono: I do get it though, hope the weather turns for you ASAP. That did wonders to cheer me the fuck up. Getting out on my MTB is probably the best part of my weeks at the moment. The wife and I also started a "Thursday night date night" tradition where we walk/ride our bikes to a restaurant in our hood each week since this is sort of our first opportunity to do that since moving in in January '20. It's a fun evening together and something we can both look forward to. We skip drinks since it's a Thursday, so it's not terribly :waxer: either. We even get ice cream sometimes :megusta:
I really don't want to fly. I hated flying before all this, now I REALLY don't want to. We're talking about another drive out west to do some camping in Colorado and surrounding areas, but the weather is pretty crappy out there too right now. Just stuck for the most part. I want to get on my goddamned bike, but it's just in the upper 30's and rainy constantly right now. It was supposed to be 60 and sunny today, so I was all ready to go for a ride then the winds shifted or something and it's just misting and 50. :rage: I'd be in much better shape if I could just go for a hike or bike ride. This isn't a surprise :doe: I ALWAYS hate this time of year in Michigan. It's terrible and will last through mid May if not to June.

We went down to Detroit for this last weekend, which helped to see friends and get a change of scenery. I'd like to do more day trips places, but :tits: is :sass: :pout: that the kitchen isn't done yet, so that shit will be my life for the next month or two. Really, the last thing I want to do right now. :rolleyes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It doesn't help right now, but I would highly suggest hitting up meetup.com once the weather gets better. I've met some great cycling friends from that, there seem to be lots of different interests whether you want t go bowling, cycling, boating, hiking, wine tasting, cooking... find/meet some people with similar interests. It's funny, of all of the cycling people I've met, most are just sort of people that are cool to ride bikes with that I wouldn't otherwise hang out with, one has become a legit good friend. That said, it is pretty cool to have people to mutually use each other for bike rides with.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm

I'm forced to work on the kitchen for the next few months instead. A brubboat would be way more fun :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:18 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:16 pm

I'm forced to work on the kitchen for the next few months instead. A brubboat would be way more fun :doe:
:disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:17 pm
It doesn't help right now, but I would highly suggest hitting up meetup.com once the weather gets better. I've met some great cycling friends from that, there seem to be lots of different interests whether you want t go bowling, cycling, boating, hiking, wine tasting, cooking... find/meet some people with similar interests. It's funny, of all of the cycling people I've met, most are just sort of people that are cool to ride bikes with that I wouldn't otherwise hang out with, one has become a legit good friend. That said, it is pretty cool to have people to mutually use each other for bike rides with.
Yep, planning on doing that for sure. Problem is I'm out of shape and don't want to be that :derp: holding everyone back, so I need to get some miles behind me to get back into shape. Won't take long, I'll be riding daily as soon as I can.

A lot of people here just buy warm clothes and run/bike/hike anyway. I should probably look into that, but outdoor clothing is incredibly :waxer: , I can't remember the last time I got clothing from somewhere other than a gas station or thrift store.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:18 pm
:disgust:
Yea, that's got me particularly :eeyore: right now. I'm fucking over :pinshit: ATM, and :tits: wants everything NOW so it's going to consume my life. Either I do it and she stays off my back, or I keep dragging my feet and deal with the constant :sass:
ChrisoftheNorth

Man, being passed up for a promotion for someone external is pretty frustrating.

But, fuck 'em. Just get paid and focus on other things. That's how I've kept sane with my garbage job.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm

Man, being passed up for a promotion for someone external is pretty frustrating.

But, fuck 'em. Just get paid and focus on other things. That's how I've kept sane with my garbage job.
TBH this woman is seemingly more qualified for the job than I am, she has many more years of experience, industry certs, etc. The perfect candidate. It is just kind of :bs: that I was told on multiple occasions this is my path, this will be my job, all of that :bs: and then they're like "yeah, a better opportunity came along". I am trying to resist the urge to go and apply for a bunch of shit out of spite. I have had two interviews this month and told them I wasn't interested as I thought that this new role was in my future. I am debating reaching back out to the place that I previously turned down that I was interested in. It just seemed like a bigger risk that pay could wind up being less.

It is tricky with sales as you never really know how the comp plan will shake out until you're in it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Yep, planning on doing that for sure. Problem is I'm out of shape and don't want to be that :derp: holding everyone back, so I need to get some miles behind me to get back into shape. Won't take long, I'll be riding daily as soon as I can.

A lot of people here just buy warm clothes and run/bike/hike anyway. I should probably look into that, but outdoor clothing is incredibly :waxer: , I can't remember the last time I got clothing from somewhere other than a gas station or thrift store.
No kidding man. I really wanted overshoes and warmer gloves all winter, but those two things alone would be hundreds of dollars for decent cycling shit. It is :gag:

I will say, mountain biking in cool weather is a lot less shitty than road. 40-45F on trails isn't too bad, you warm up fast and the wind chill is far less.

RE: your first point, I wouldn't sweat it. A lot f people on group rides here are terrible, everyone is just having fun and you sort of branch off into smaller groups based on fitness/abilities anyway. We have a ton of chill rides in the evenings during the week, like 10-15 city miles where one group is going 10 mph and one like 15 mph.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:26 pm

TBH this woman is seemingly more qualified for the job than I am, she has many more years of experience, industry certs, etc. The perfect candidate. It is just kind of :bs: that I was told on multiple occasions this is my path, this will be my job, all of that :bs: and then they're like "yeah, a better opportunity came along". I am trying to resist the urge to go and apply for a bunch of shit out of spite. I have had two interviews this month and told them I wasn't interested as I thought that this new role was in my future. I am debating reaching back out to the place that I previously turned down that I was interested in. It just seemed like a bigger risk that pay could wind up being less.

It is tricky with sales as you never really know how the comp plan will shake out until you're in it.
The devil you know is better than the one you don't. I believe this. I thought my last job was bad, I had no idea how bad it could get. At least I get paid more, and I've figured out how to handle all the :bs: so I'm just riding it out at this point until I can't anymore. I apply to jobs, take interviews as they come up to keep me sharp, but then the conversation usually ends when it comes to salary requirements. I'm at the top of the salary range for my level in my profession and since I work in a worthless dead industry, nobody wants to pay me what I want. I knew this would be an issue, but :ohwell:

Point is, you know your comp plan now, and while it changes, you have a solid rep at your current place. It's probably better to just stay the course. Would SUCK to jump ship to a place that promises the sky for them to just change the rules a few months later and screw you over.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:22 pm

No kidding man. I really wanted overshoes and warmer gloves all winter, but those two things alone would be hundreds of dollars for decent cycling shit. It is :gag:

I will say, mountain biking in cool weather is a lot less shitty than road. 40-45F on trails isn't too bad, you warm up fast and the wind chill is far less.

RE: your first point, I wouldn't sweat it. A lot f people on group rides here are terrible, everyone is just having fun and you sort of branch off into smaller groups based on fitness/abilities anyway. We have a ton of chill rides in the evenings during the week, like 10-15 city miles where one group is going 10 mph and one like 15 mph.
:ohdang: I'll look for some bike meetups once the weather breaks.

Problem is :tits: wants to come too but she really has no interest in getting better at biking, she just wants to ride a few miles here and there. That'll be another :howdareu: :sass: argument.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I foresee getting an ebike for the wife if she wants to ride more.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:06 pm I foresee getting an ebike for the wife if she wants to ride more.
Yea, this is the way. But bikes are unobtanium this year, and I want to ride now. It's not that fucking hard to just ride more with the benefit of getting in shape, but noooooooo.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:53 pm

:ohdang: I'll look for some bike meetups once the weather breaks.

Problem is :tits: wants to come too but she really has no interest in getting better at biking, she just wants to ride a few miles here and there. That'll be another :howdareu: :sass: argument.
Fortunately mine is good about staying in her lane with this. Like, we will go on rides together to get a drink/food and whatnot, but she will always be very slow and she understands that I want more a lot of the time. Fortunately she has plenty of her own shit to do most times.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:06 pm I foresee getting an ebike for the wife if she wants to ride more.
I tried to talk mine into this and she got pretty :triggered: and was just like "you should ride slower and just enjoy it with me".

:ohwell: