OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:50 am Bike work is definitely on my list of things to try, either at home or maybe in a local shop. If they're that busy then they should be down to have an extra mechanic a couple of days a week to whom they don't have to pay benefits.
:notbad:

IMO you would likely be top tier out of the gate, some of the work I've had done at shops has been pretty :wtf:
Yeah I'm no pro but I can do most things myself now. The main thing I don't know yet is truing/building wheels or replacing spokes, which is I assume a commonly needed repair.

I guess MTB suspension stuff is also out of my realm, but maybe not that much. They look simple enough. :howhardcanitbe:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

In4 some TroyTrue wheels whenever I get a bike.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:28 pm In4 some TroyTrue wheels whenever I get a bike.
Troyed and True™️.

There it is.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:28 pm In4 some TroyTrue wheels whenever I get a bike.
Troyed and True™️.

There it is.
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:29 pm
Troyed and True™️.

There it is.
:iswydt: :megusta:
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:
Troyed and TrueImage.

There it is.
:impressive:

That beats my plan to make canned pasta as Chef Troyardee.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:59 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Troyed and TrueImage.

There it is.
:impressive:

That beats my plan to make canned pasta as Chef Troyardee.
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:19 pm Yeah I'm no pro but I can do most things myself now. The main thing I don't know yet is truing/building wheels or replacing spokes, which is I assume a commonly needed repair.

I guess MTB suspension stuff is also out of my realm, but maybe not that much. They look simple enough. :howhardcanitbe:
MTB suspension stuff is easy, it's really just having the right tools (big sockets) and parts (special lube).

Wheel truing is an art, and easy to fuck up, but if you can do a good job, you'll build a name for yourself quickly. It's hard to find a good wheelbuilder (could even build custom wheels and sell them).
:dat:

I've never built a wheel, but I've replaced plenty of spokes before, and I've "tuned up" wheels out of true myself, and it's really not hard. Just need patience and a keen attention to detail. I think Troy would do great work building/repairing wheels.

MTB suspension stuff is stupid easy once you have the tools. Just seals for the most part.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 am
I've debated small engine and bicycle repair as a side thing, and it seems like it 100% comes down to who you know and how you get your name out there. Marketing is the biggest thing, and I know that in my immediate area, there's quite a few bike repair people so competition is real.
:notwrong: but that is why right now would be the time. Bike shops have record delays in getting things done, people have old shitty bikes they want to ride (start of spring + still COVID)... This time next year COVID will be gone and almost forgotten and there will be much more bike inventory and shop availability. You'd want to start making a name for yourself locally yesterday.

Personally, when you already have a pretty high paying job taking up your time, it would be :butwhy: for you, but would make sense for :mahtroy: but if you genuinely enjoy it, why not? I'd rather just tinker with my own bike/lawnmower/car only and spend the rest of my extra time actually riding/driving.
My high paying job isn't long for this world, and I don't really want it to be. I hate it and want to find something that I actually enjoy doing. Step 1 was drastically reduced COL, Step 2 is get everything settled while :waxer: Step 3 is chilling and doing something else. Step 3 is likely years away, but I've just been thinking about what it could possibly be. Running my own mobile bike repair business is the type of thing I dream about.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am

:notwrong: but that is why right now would be the time. Bike shops have record delays in getting things done, people have old shitty bikes they want to ride (start of spring + still COVID)... This time next year COVID will be gone and almost forgotten and there will be much more bike inventory and shop availability. You'd want to start making a name for yourself locally yesterday.

Personally, when you already have a pretty high paying job taking up your time, it would be :butwhy: for you, but would make sense for :mahtroy: but if you genuinely enjoy it, why not? I'd rather just tinker with my own bike/lawnmower/car only and spend the rest of my extra time actually riding/driving.
My high paying job isn't long for this world, and I don't really want it to be. I hate it and want to find something that I actually enjoy doing. Step 1 was drastically reduced COL, Step 2 is get everything settled while :waxer: Step 3 is chilling and doing something else. Step 3 is likely years away, but I've just been thinking about what it could possibly be. Running my own mobile bike repair business is the type of thing I dream about.
See, I think that the hustle of trying to run a little biz would be more effort than the pretty lax WFH good paying job. Different strokes and all :dat: :doe: I don't think I hate my gig like you do either, it's :notbad:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

A majority of wealthy individuals in any part of the world all own their own business, whatever it may be.

Once I find a niche that I can back up with my experience or skill sets, I’d be heavily invested in that.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm A majority of wealthy individuals in any part of the world all own their own business, whatever it may be.

Once I find a niche that I can back up with my experience or skill sets, I’d be heavily invested in that.
You can lose your ass running your own shop or you can buy lambo’s in cash... quite a wide spectrum of business owners out there.
troyguitar

Apex wrote:
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm A majority of wealthy individuals in any part of the world all own their own business, whatever it may be.

You can lose your ass running your own shop or you can buy lambo’s in cash... quite a wide spectrum of business owners out there.
Plus you can expect to work 24/7 perpetually...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm
Apex wrote:
Uhh. I am not trying to flame, but yes. If you need to sustain yourself you will have to put in the work whether you work for the man or for yourself.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

My 69 yo co-worker just called it an XL... :triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm
See, I think that the hustle of trying to run a little biz would be more effort than the pretty lax WFH good paying job. Different strokes and all :dat: :doe: I don't think I hate my gig like you do either, it's :notbad:
Depends how often they force me to come into the office. Right now, the 70/30 max could be viewed as a minimum by my idiot management, which 30% time in the office is :nope: for me. If I can keep doing what I'm doing forever, I will. But I'm not at all counting on that.

Had an interview for a permanent remote product manager gig for a medical supply company today that was promising, so maybe that sort of opportunity will be my future? Those seem to be increasing in availability by the week.

That said, I'd be happier working harder for myself than others. I fully understand what it takes to run a business, and it would be worth it for me.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote:
Totally. That's the tough thing to commit to. I'm not entirely sure I want my life to be work, but if it's something I love, how much of it feels like work? :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:31 pm

And statistically, most lose their ass.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm My 69 yo co-worker just called it an XL... :triggered:
:lolol:
:disgust: :triggered:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote:
:dat:

I disagree with Rudy here. I pretty much put in my 35-40 at my corporate job for a good enough income. I would rather just do this and enjoy my life than work 2X the hours and be wealthy enough to own a bunch of cars and shit, I really don't care about any of that.

I will come back to the example Max gave, which was our own :waxer: , who literally almost died in his 40s because he overworked himself for 20 years. Fuck all that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:46 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm Plus you can expect to work 24/7 perpetually...
Totally. That's the tough thing to commit to. I'm not entirely sure I want my life to be work, but if it's something I love, how much of it feels like work? :iono:
Also :dat:

I think most people who own their own businesses are wired a bit differently than someone like Troy or myself. They're doing it for the money, yes, but also have a passion for their work/business.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hell, even thinking about doing things I love/jobs I'm envious of, I don't think I'd really want to go out on my own and :doit:

I looks at people like car journalists/youtubers, guys like the presenters on GCN... on the surface, they just go on all of these cool ass bike rides, do fun challenges, travel the world. All of that would be awesome but then there's all of the behind the scenes data analysis, video editing, marketing. I would rather just work a pretty chill job that pays me enough that I can go do things I enjoy for me and not have to worry about appeasing an audience.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:13 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:31 pm

The key is to write off your losses in Lambos. :smrt:
:mahman:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:Hell, even thinking about doing things I love/jobs I'm envious of, I don't think I'd really want to go out on my own and :doit:

I looks at people like car journalists/youtubers, guys like the presenters on GCN... on the surface, they just go on all of these cool ass bike rides, do fun challenges, travel the world. All of that would be awesome but then there's all of the behind the scenes data analysis, video editing, marketing. I would rather just work a pretty chill job that pays me enough that I can go do things I enjoy for me and not have to worry about appeasing an audience.
If this was 1960-1990 and there was actually decent money to be made playing in fun local/regional rock bands then I'd be down for that, but that era has been over for a long time.

I'm hoping to end up doing something similar, but it will be more work and for significantly less pay than back then. Bands used to be able to play a single venue 5-7 nights a week for weeks at a time and make great money doing it. That's gone. Now you might play once a week at most per venue and for generally minimum wage.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I’d like to point out that I would love to get paid to judge who is worthy of being a Victoria’s Secret model.
But hey ... life comes at you fast, bro.