OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm worthless and will make minimum wage at best for the foreseeable future. You're talking about a ~50% pay cut combined with a ~doubling of our expenses.
Yes, but you’re not addressing the elephant in the room. Which is leaving Corning.

Also so far the mortgage thing is still ok, they won’t know shit about your wife’s WFH “no”.

I would move and try to make it work, I think 300k for a house is very reasonable, and you can do it on sub 6 figure jobs easily.

I mean you have to pick your battle, staying in Corning and saving was not the way to go I thought.

I wouldn’t look at this pay reduction as permanent.
Your wife has a great background and she will be at prior levels quicker than you think.
Mortgage might be a challenge, unfortunately. I had hoops to jump through for mine re: remote work. They wanted a formal letter from my manager or HR authorizing me to WFH permanently. I got around it with the 2nd house thing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:01 pm Yes, but you’re not addressing the elephant in the room. Which is leaving Corning.

Also so far the mortgage thing is still ok, they won’t know shit about your wife’s WFH “no”.

I would move and try to make it work, I think 300k for a house is very reasonable, and you can do it on sub 6 figure jobs easily.

I mean you have to pick your battle, staying in Corning and saving was not the way to go I thought.

Your wife has a great background and she will be at prior levels quicker than you think.
Mortgage might be a challenge, unfortunately. I had hoops to jump through for mine re: remote work. They wanted a formal letter from my manager or HR authorizing me to WFH permanently. I got around it with the 2nd house thing.
This is already written as a 2nd house, that's one thing that I learned a few years ago.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm I'm probably :wrong: on the tax front, NJ likely wins that prize. St Pete is around 2%, nearly double CA. :wasteful:
Yea but no state income tax
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm I'm probably :wrong: on the tax front, NJ likely wins that prize. St Pete is around 2%, nearly double CA. :wasteful:
Yea but no state income tax
Unless your employer is in NY, then you pay ~7% to the Empire.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:22 pm
max225 wrote:
Yes, but you’re not addressing the elephant in the room. Which is leaving Corning.

This is effectively more like $400k by the time it gets a roof, wiring, etc. plus the kitchen is heinous. Not a barbie dream house by any means, plus we'll of course have to pay a higher interest rate and tax rate than you, Chris, Dan, etc. Maybe everyone here?

We currently spend/save basically $70k a year on healthcare and retirement.
Maybe I don’t know about your local taxes. But we’re paying quite a bit as well. I specifically went to a town with the lowest tax rate in the area. As it varies by cities within counties here. 1.3-1.8%

That said, do the house things need immediate addressing ? I’m asking because we didn’t quite get the Barbie house either and it has been nearly crippling working on a house full time plus a full time job.

I mean owning a house is a huge expense I can’t argue in good faith that it’ll even be a good investment because at the end of the day no one knows. But I think disrupting the current way of life May bring you into a less dreary place to live.

Don’t know what else to say and recommend. At the end of the day it’s what you two want to do.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm worthless and will make minimum wage at best for the foreseeable future. You're talking about a ~50% pay cut combined with a ~doubling of our expenses.

Plus 12 billion. This whole "retire at 50" thing, while admirable, means nothing if you want to stick a Glock in your mouth every day. Also dude. You're obviously a very bright cat, just a little short on formal ed/job contacts. I have have often thought about "backup plans" or simply saying fuck it. If you max target is like 60 grand, it seems to me there are plenty of ways to get there other than working at Taco Bell or doing freelance work on your computer. Don't just think about pay, think about benefits. Ideas in no particular order.....

1. Working for the State of Florida, a Municipality or a utility. There's worse thangs than driving around in a Jeep all day measuring water meters.
2. Get a CDL, which would be easy af for you. Drive for Fed Ex, for UPS, or shit, just drive truck part time. That's a shitload more than minimum wage.
3. Bust out of your shell a bit and do service industry stuff. Bartenders in high end spots pull major coin, oftentimes six digits. IMHO, being a top flight bartender/waiter is a respectable way to make a living.

None of these jobs has major payday ceilings but WHO CARES.........As Max pointed out your home is quite affordable.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:00 am
razr390 wrote: :dat:

Troy, what does she do exactly?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/victoriaknight

Obviously both of us should have gone into software/finance but we're too stupid.
Wow. Her CV is very very impressive. Maybe too impressive? Just spitballing here, please don't take any of this the wrong way, I truly just want to help if I can........

As a (much lower level) employer the two things that jump out at me are:

a) her (impressively) high SAT score by itself and then, b) the score and the high level degree versus the tone of the letters of recommendation ...

I wonder if potential employers/hiring managers are intimidated by someone who practically aced the SAT.....and holds a Masters degree.....

Or they feel she is too smart/overqualified for the roles she is seeking?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Plus 12 billion. This whole "retire at 50" thing, while admirable, means nothing if you want to stick a Glock in your mouth every day. Also dude. You're obviously a very bright cat, just a little short on formal ed/job contacts. I have have often thought about "backup plans" or simply saying fuck it. If you max target is like 60 grand, it seems to me there are plenty of ways to get there other than working at Taco Bell or doing freelance work on your computer. Don't just think about pay, think about benefits. Ideas in no particular order.....

1. Working for the State of Florida, a Municipality or a utility. There's worse thangs than driving around in a Jeep all day measuring water meters.
2. Get a CDL, which would be easy af for you. Drive for Fed Ex, for UPS, or shit, just drive truck part time. That's a shitload more than minimum wage.
3. Bust out of your shell a bit and do service industry stuff. Bartenders in high end spots pull major coin, oftentimes six digits. IMHO, being a top flight bartender/waiter is a respectable way to make a living.

None of these jobs has major payday ceilings but WHO CARES.........As Max pointed out your home is quite affordable.
Fine points, as per usual for Dirk.

Anecdotal info on Fed Ex driving. A friend of mine drives for them. There are many days where he's on call while sitting at home, on the clock, waiting for a call to come pick up a truck to either make a pick up or a delivery. After said PU/DEL, he's "on call" again until the next time he's needed. So he goes home to chill until the next call. All while still being on the clock. He's in the second half of his 60's and he hasn't retired yet because why would he? He did wrench a knee pretty badly once climbing in or out of his cab and was on disability for awhile, but he may have been clumsy.

Worse ways to make some coin. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

Yeah, Troy I think you specifically need to find a balance between wants and needs. You want to play guitar, freelance, auto cross, etc but you also need a stable income at least to get you and wifey through the move.

I would try to find something stable with a decent schedule and work/life balance for the move and then try to play some bar gigs with your guitar on weekends or days off to help enhance your hobby.

Life is about moderation and compromise. Otherwise it’s too much on either end
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=market%20 ... ecf3efb3c4

This company seems to be hiring for many roles that could work for the woman.
razr390

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:49 pm https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=market%20 ... ecf3efb3c4

Link doesn’t show the specific job posting but rather search results list
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:49 pm https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=market%20 ... ecf3efb3c4

Link doesn’t show the specific job posting but rather search results list
Weird just clicked. Technical sales scientist was the role, shows on right for me.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:01 pm Yes, but you’re not addressing the elephant in the room. Which is leaving Corning.

I'm that person who simply cannot show up to work every day, regardless of the job. It's probably some kind of anxiety thing. At 10-20 hrs a week I'm about the best employee you can get for <6 figures, but ask for more and within a couple of months I'm fired. I'm made for the "gig economy" - most people just assume I'm lazy and maybe I am but it's been like that for 30 years.

This is why the focus is not on me. I'll do whatever I can for minimum wage and that's that for the foreseeable future.

Until you old bastards in charge start hiring people part time for good jobs, I won't get one.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Anecdotal info on Fed Ex driving. A friend of mine drives for them. There are many days where he's on call while sitting at home, on the clock, waiting for a call to come pick up a truck to either make a pick up or a delivery. After said PU/DEL, he's "on call" again until the next time he's needed. So he goes home to chill until the next call. All while still being on the clock. He's in the second half of his 60's and he hasn't retired yet because why would he? He did wrench a knee pretty badly once climbing in or out of his cab and was on disability for awhile, but he may have been clumsy.

Right?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:22 pm Also, I'd never want to fully retire, for whatever it's worth. Gotta keep the gray matter stimulated.
:dat:

My goal is to find an exit strategy that involves me being my own boss somehow. Would end up being more work, but I think is ultimately what would make me the most happy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

I'm that person who simply cannot show up to work every day, regardless of the job. It's probably some kind of anxiety thing. At 10-20 hrs a week I'm about the best employee you can get for <6 figures, but ask for more and within a couple of months I'm fired. I'm made for the "gig economy" - most people just assume I'm lazy and maybe I am but it's been like that for 30 years.

This is why the focus is not on me. I'll do whatever I can for minimum wage and that's that for the foreseeable future.

Until you old bastards in charge start hiring people part time for good jobs, I won't get one.
I'd overcome my aversion to putting in 40 a week to get out of Hoth.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm I'm that person who simply cannot show up to work every day, regardless of the job. It's probably some kind of anxiety thing. At 10-20 hrs a week I'm about the best employee you can get for <6 figures, but ask for more and within a couple of months I'm fired. I'm made for the "gig economy" - most people just assume I'm lazy and maybe I am but it's been like that for 30 years.

That's why you're a millionaire so with a brand new beach house and I'm... not. There are days when I can't get off the couch to save my life.

My remaining goals in life are to be warm and relaxed. IDGAF about much else. Read a book, have a drink, listen to some tunes, tinker on some dumb non-profitable projects, and ideally be able to leave home without fearing physical confrontations.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Also, I'd never want to fully retire, for whatever it's worth. Gotta keep the gray matter stimulated.
You only use your brain when you're paid to do so? :impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
That's why you're a millionaire so with a brand new beach house and I'm... not. There are days when I can't get off the couch to save my life.

My remaining goals in life are to be warm and relaxed. IDGAF about much else. Read a book, have a drink, listen to some tunes, tinker on some dumb non-profitable projects, and ideally be able to leave home without fearing physical confrontations.
Not trying to flex on you or suggest that you launch some kind of high stress career. I just pointed out some possible relatively low stress 40/hr/wk jobs. To the extent that you can find said low stress job, .gov or otherwise, but doing it the statutory 40 creates anxiety, might wanna find a :therapist: There are plenty of days I would like to turn my brain off and drive a route @ $27.68/hr.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:05 pm
wap wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:42 pm

Right?
No hurry with a job like that. He keeps going mostly for the insurance at this point.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm You only use your brain when you're paid to do so? :impressive:
I've found that I utilize deeper areas of my brain when working vs. fiddling with hobbies and interests. YMMV.
Maybe add “different areas” along the deeper areas. Hobbies might only stimulate the same parts of the brain, whereas new challenges that aren’t your own doing hit different areas
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:11 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm
Maybe add “different areas” along the deeper areas. Hobbies might only stimulate the same parts of the brain, whereas new challenges that aren’t your own doing hit different areas
:ayfkm:

Same thing I said but different.
Different or deeper?

:trollface:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:40 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:24 am

At least you're buying. Can't be priced out of a market if you already own the house.

I sit here every day wondering if I should have tried to buy a house in NC instead of rent one.
Nah, you're better off renting right now IMO. Look at what 'pex has had to go through looking for a house in NJ. It's just madness everywhere, unless you get lucky like Troy, it's just not worth the hassle at this time.

Move to the new area, make sure you like it, then hone in on a place to settle down if that's what you want to do. Nothing lasts forever, even though it seems like the real estate market will never slow down, it absolutely will eventually.
And here's shit I don't have to fix at the new place because I don't own it.

troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm You only use your brain when you're paid to do so? :impressive:
I've found that I utilize deeper areas of my brain when working vs. fiddling with hobbies and interests. YMMV.
Interesting. I'm pretty much the opposite. I work hard on things at home and in my personal interests, but anything profitable is boring. Do manual labor, get paid, no thought required. I've never had work that required thought.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:49 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Interesting. I'm pretty much the opposite. I work hard on things at home and in my personal interests, but anything profitable is boring. Do manual labor, get paid, no thought required. I've never had work that required thought.
I guess it’s what you make of it truly. I did Uber eats on the side during 2020 and found it as a great tool to make extra cash but also to get to know the city.