OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Irish wrote:I'm not sure how the long distance moving business is right now but the best we could do in 2010 (for a reasonable amount of money) was 6 days between move out and move in...... .
The concern in this case is how quickly they can move us out. We want to be out by 4/10 ideally, not much notice. Moving in will preferably not happen until like 5/10, we need time with the house empty to work on shit. 1000 sq ft and no basement = every room will be totally full of boxes/furniture when they show up.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
So what's the plan with Corning, Inc.?
No real plan yet. Amusingly she's expecting to be offered a "new" position tomorrow which is basically the job she was originally supposed to get in 2019 before they pulled a fucking bait and switch... So part of the plan is to negotiate remote status as either a condition of taking the new job or a condition of remaining in the current job. Basically playing the 2 managers against each other.

Her current boss is going to be fucked if she takes the new job. She manages 4 people. One announced recently that he's retiring at the end of March. One had a baby yesterday and is now on maternity leave for however long... if she leaves too that's a team of 5 down to just 2 underlings, one in Japan and one in China.

Hopefully at least one of these managers will be motivated to authorize permanent remote work. :iono:
I think there's immense power on the employee side playing chicken with permanent remote. "I've been doing this successfully for a year, nothing changed, I'm permanent remote or I quit". That's my plan, and I'm prepared to quit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
So what's the plan with Corning, Inc.?
No real plan yet. Amusingly she's expecting to be offered a "new" position tomorrow which is basically the job she was originally supposed to get in 2019 before they pulled a fucking bait and switch... So part of the plan is to negotiate remote status as either a condition of taking the new job or a condition of remaining in the current job. Basically playing the 2 managers against each other.

Her current boss is going to be fucked if she takes the new job. She manages 4 people. One announced recently that he's retiring at the end of March. One had a baby yesterday and is now on maternity leave for however long... if she leaves too that's a team of 5 down to just 2 underlings, one in Japan and one in China.

Hopefully at least one of these managers will be motivated to authorize permanent remote work. :iono:
Fingers crossed for you! I'm assuming they have no idea of the move at the moment, jumping in Detroit style?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:11 pm No real plan yet. Amusingly she's expecting to be offered a "new" position tomorrow which is basically the job she was originally supposed to get in 2019 before they pulled a fucking bait and switch... So part of the plan is to negotiate remote status as either a condition of taking the new job or a condition of remaining in the current job. Basically playing the 2 managers against each other.

I think there's immense power on the employee side playing chicken with permanent remote. "I've been doing this successfully for a year, nothing changed, I'm permanent remote or I quit". That's my plan, and I'm prepared to quit.
Yeah, not many people are as brave as you. It's a unique position to actually be prepared/willing to walk away if it comes to that. I have been there with my current employer and it is a nice place to be.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:42 pm
Yeah, not many people are as brave as you. It's a unique position to actually be prepared/willing to walk away if it comes to that. I have been there with my current employer and it is a nice place to be.
It's a big reason why we trimmed our COL so drastically. I hated this job from the day I started, and planning an exit was tough when bills were so high. Now that I can make ends meet working at Costco, IDGAF about the job anymore. There's also an increasing amount of permanent remote work jobs posting, so I could likely land something with similar pay somewhat easily.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm I'm not sure how the long distance moving business is right now but the best we could do in 2010 (for a reasonable amount of money for an 1100 mile move from Royal Palm Beach to the Carlisle PA) was 6 days between move out and move in......

They load multiple families in the same trailer and then, obviously, unload in reverse..

Luckily for us, wife unit had a gf whos grandparent lent us their cool little mountain house in Western NC for the week. It was near Grandfather Mountain and we made a mini vacay out of it....

We found a cool little lake to swim in and me and the boys went zip lining.....
Grandfather Mountain is awesome, there is a loop hike of 4-5 miles with lots of ropes and ladders and cool views. :tits: and I frequent Western NC quite a bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:15 pm

It's a big reason why we trimmed our COL so drastically. I hated this job from the day I started, and planning an exit was tough when bills were so high. Now that I can make ends meet working at Costco, IDGAF about the job anymore. There's also an increasing amount of permanent remote work jobs posting, so I could likely land something with similar pay somewhat easily.
Yeah, that is one hesitation with our 15 year mortgage but I think we'll be OK. :tits: and I both have pretty good job security and we could probably survive on either income if we had to for a while, definitely on mine.

That is one thing that makes me :notsure: on pulling the trigger on something like a Hype R, even though it could be done in cash, it's kind of :butwhy:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Might sound weird, but I'm legit :fuckyeah: for you guys with this move. Love seeing people take control of their lives and do what makes them happy. Are you guys packing up and driving down for closing and that's it? Or do you have some back and forth to do?
:notsure: yet.

I have 2 inquiries in to movers but don't yet know if they can move us out this quickly. I know one thing, though: I'm not coming back here. My shit will be packed up and taken care of by 4/10. If someone has to go back and supervise movers or something, it will not be me.
Moving with movers for that distance will be more than you save on your rate for the mortgage. They will price themselves out of doing it. I HIGHLY recommend renting a box truck from budget/penske/Uhaul and hiring movers locally to load in NY and unload in FL.

Drive the truck yourself. Save the money. FWIW when we moved from VA to TX movers were quoting me between $7,500-15,000. I had a $5,000 relocation bonus. I rented a budget truck for $1,600, dollied the :tits: Jetta, paid friends in beer, pizza and MacDoe to help me load up the truck in VA. Paid local movers $200 to unload it in TX. done.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

razr390 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:04 pm :notsure: yet.

I have 2 inquiries in to movers but don't yet know if they can move us out this quickly. I know one thing, though: I'm not coming back here. My shit will be packed up and taken care of by 4/10. If someone has to go back and supervise movers or something, it will not be me.
Moving with movers for that distance will be more than you save on your rate for the mortgage. They will price themselves out of doing it. I HIGHLY recommend renting a box truck from budget/penske/Uhaul and hiring movers locally to load in NY and unload in FL.

Drive the truck yourself. Save the money. FWIW when we moved from VA to TX movers were quoting me between $7,500-15,000. I had a $5,000 relocation bonus. I rented a budget truck for $1,600, dollied the :tits: Jetta, paid friends in beer, pizza and MacDoe to help me load up the truck in VA. Paid local movers $200 to unload it in TX. done.
:notwrong:

We paid almost $8000 to a company that I am pretty sure was tied to the Russian mob..... they were some scary mfers.....
razr390

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:19 pm

We paid almost $8000 to a company that I am pretty sure was tied to the Russian mob..... they were some scary mfers.....
Did they say Davai a lot?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Troy, PM me if you want to talk about the moving stuff. I can lay out the prices and everything in better detail.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:

I fully expect it to be $10-20k all-in.

When we moved up here we had ~11000 lbs of stuff, including packing materials and some expensive "adult" furniture. It's simply more work than we're willing/able to do anymore. We also need things to be stored for a month in the middle of this. It won't be cheap or easy.
Irish

razr390 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Did they say Davai a lot?
Yes and when I insisted that they bring our old ass 250 lb Sony Trinitron down the basement He said something that I believe translated as "you're killing me"....but I am not 100% sure that he wasn't saying "I will kill YOU" ... to me.... трахни меня .....
Irish

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:31 pm
razr390 wrote:

When we moved up here we had ~11000 lbs of stuff, including packing materials and some expensive "adult" furniture. It's simply more work than we're willing/able to do anymore. We also need things to be stored for a month in the middle of this. It won't be cheap or easy.
:ohdang: If this is what I think it is..... you should be a lot happier than you are :mahtroy:

:alpo:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

At a certain age you run out of friends that are interested in lifting heavy objects for beer, pizza and McDoe, and it does not appear that Mr. Brown has ingratiated himself to the local population, nor does he know a soul in St. Petersburg. Bro moves are for the 2X yoa and under set who own shit 1) made by Ikea or 2) that is cheaper to throw out than to move. It is a lot cheaper though, I'll give you that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Irish wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:31 pm I fully expect it to be $10-20k all-in.

:ohdang: If this is what I think it is..... you should be a lot happier than you are :mahtroy:

I mean we have been saving nearly 50% of our gross income for years in preparation for doing something like this...

Our all-in monthly expenses don't even hit $3000 with rent and healthcare. We were sitting home doing nothing before COVID made it cool. (not that spending more money would make NY be enjoyable, this place sucks)
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:46 pm

At a certain age you run out of friends that are interested in lifting heavy objects for beer, pizza and McDoe, and it does not appear that Mr. Brown has ingratiated himself to the local population, nor does he know a soul in St. Petersburg. Bro moves are for the 2X yoa and under set who own shit 1) made by Ikea or 2) that is cheaper to throw out than to move. It is a lot cheaper though, I'll give you that.
Got lucky here with a few friends and I also moved 15 little trucks worth of shit solo. But overall yea :nope: on the movers for me also... that's a rich man's game. Cheaper to buy all new furniture for the most part.
max225

Why are you talking shit about my cousin Dimitry ?! :rage:
Irish

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:31 pm

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 pm

I mean we have been saving nearly 50% of our gross income for years in preparation for doing something like this...

Our all-in monthly expenses don't even hit $3000 with rent and healthcare. We were sitting home doing nothing before COVID made it cool. (not that spending more money would make NY be enjoyable, this place sucks)
I was referring to the bolded......

"Adult" furniture sounds pretty joy inducing.....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Got lucky here with a few friends and I also moved 15 little trucks worth of shit solo. But overall yea :nope: on the movers for me also... that's a rich man's game. Cheaper to buy all new furniture for the most part.
:dat:

We tried it last time (local move) and I felt like managing it was more work than just moving the shit myself and it was expensive. I will move everything my damn self next time and find someone to pay to help me move the few things I can't solo.
razr390

My sentiment still stands. Box truck is no more than $2,500. Local movers to load/unload are no more than $300 each location.

All in for under $3,500-4,000 versus paying a company to ship it cross country for $20k
troyguitar

Irish wrote:
Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:37 pm :ohdang: If this is what I think it is..... you should be a lot happier than you are :mahtroy:

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 pm

I was referring to the bolded......

"Adult" furniture sounds pretty joy inducing.....
Ahh... this is more like some purchases that were dumb in hindsight. $6000 in Amish-made solid wood shit, that has now been moved 3 times in 6 years and has way more "character" than it should for its age - and that isn't going to fit well in our 1000 sq ft house but we can never sell/donate either.

Ikea/amazon/overstock/crangslist is your friend. Get furniture from there.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:46 am
09vdubgti wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks!

Dont want to say full on keto, but yea ultra low carbs <20 G of carbs a day, no bread, rice, pasta and no eating past 7pm (I do I.F 16/8). Have Fattier cuts of protein, chicken thighs (instead of breast), meats etc. And I use either coconut oil or avocado oil when I cook. And I found alternatives to things I would normally eat. Like I have Enlightened/Halo keto ice cream, or cheesecake, or whipped cream with berries. So I still have my sweets but they're using alternative sweeteners. Instead of rice, use cauliflour rice, or instead of tortillas I use Crepini's and so forth. And yes, 5/6 days a week I exercise (45 mins on treadmill HiiT), cable machine, resistance bands and Battle Rope. The battle rope is a killer, feel it during and after through out the day. Cutting off the sugars too, was huge. Ive become a big fan of Lakanto products (use monk fruit instead of sugar).

The other day I bought some shirts because I dont like the fit of my old stuff, went from XXL to now I can start pulling of L in some brands lol. And im actually beginning to notice I have a jawline now, People got surprised when I told them I weighed 323lbs, I guess I was just dense and hid it well. I was 294 when I started taking things seriously, back in last week of november it feels good now being at 231. 21 more pounds and ill be back to my old self weight. I have surgery coming up for an unrelated matter and my ENT doc says i should take it easy a month or so, so Im pushing bit harder.
Dude, this is fantastic! Outstanding work!!

I've been on a weight loss journey myself. I just stay in a calorie deficit most days while loosely following 16:8 IF. Zero restrictions, but we enjoy the challenge of replacing carbs with veggies where we can. Also eat a lot more vegetarian and lean protein which has been a great change. More importantly, my portion sizes have shrunk to :impressive: small levels. It's the most sustainable "diet" I've been on because I don't view this as temporary to lose weight, this is permanent. I'll eat more when my weight is down and/or I've got more physical exercise going on to burn it. I've seen steady improvements in clothes fit, but minimal weight loss on the scale, so I stopped stepping on it. Been 6 months since I weighed myself, was at 270 down from 295. I should be in the 240-50 range right now, but I'm happier not knowing and focusing on appearance instead.

I bought a pair of 36 waist jeans last week and they were falling off me yesterday. I can't believe I'm down to a 34, but I may go try on a pair just to see. I was a 40 2 years ago.
Hey thats awesome!

It felt so rewarding putting on the new clothes. I didnt expect it to fit but it did and well too lol. The way youre doing is great too, especially for the long run. Yes, one thing I do now is I eat until im satisified, not stuffed. I personally didnt see much of the weightloss but its the reactions I get from friends and family who give me a boost. It wasnt until I was in an airplane a month ago when I noticed, look at all this space I have now lol. Thats great though, yea I need to get myself a belt too, 36 is good fit but just a bit loose on me rn.
max225

Found the meme
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 pm Image
Found the meme
:lol: :notwrong:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.