OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:50 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm

To be fair, wild fires are a common occurrence in Cali. Major snow storms and winter systems aren’t that common, at least not in south Texas.
There is no historical record of the wildfires as bad as we've had last august>Nov. NO HISTORICAL RECORD. Plenty of snowfalls recorded in Texas during the modern US history. That said this is simply to treat others the way you want to be treated. There are some pretty terrible things happening in texas right now...

People can't even text... no water... no power... :wtf: this is bad.
I'm sorry, but this made me :lolol: So :millennial: to give equal importance to texting as water and power.
:lolgasm:

I mean, I get it that being able to communicate with family, etc. is important, but :millennial:

This is why we keep a land line, in case the cell grid goes down we can still reach family, police, FD, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:44 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:50 pm
There is no historical record of the wildfires as bad as we've had last august>Nov. NO HISTORICAL RECORD. Plenty of snowfalls recorded in Texas during the modern US history. That said this is simply to treat others the way you want to be treated. There are some pretty terrible things happening in texas right now...

People can't even text... no water... no power... :wtf: this is bad.
I'm sorry, but this made me :lolol: So :millennial: to give equal importance to texting as water and power.

I mean, I get it that being able to communicate with family, etc. is important, but :millennial:

This is why we keep a land line, in case the cell grid goes down we can still reach family, police, FD, etc.
:iono: trying to text my friends in Austin and 1/2 don’t have WiFi/power so I’m getting delayed green texts of doom back
wap

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:55 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:44 pm

:iono: trying to text my friends in Austin and 1/2 don’t have WiFi/power so I’m getting delayed green texts of doom back
I know, as I said, I get it. Just the juxtaposition of such basic life necessities as water with texting made me laugh.
:millennial:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Welp, our water is off. We saved some in pots and have some bottled.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:51 pm Welp, our water is off. We saved some in pots and have some bottled.
:doomed:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:11 pm

I know, as I said, I get it. Just the juxtaposition of such basic life necessities as water with texting made me laugh.
Probably can't send a tweet either! :doomed:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

This looks so fun

Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Being without power sucks.

I'll never forget Hurricane Wilma....less than a year after we moved to SoFla....... 100 mph winds knocked out the power for 6 days .... thank God I was able to buy a generator off the back of a truck..... used it to power the fridge, a fan, a hot plate and lamps (not all at once) ......

PS That First year we lived there (2005), the state was hit with no less than 6 hurricanes (Including Katrina)......
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:51 pm Welp, our water is off. We saved some in pots and have some bottled.
What the shit? Why is water turned off?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Truly :doomed: when you start with the green texts like a bottom of the barrel poor.
razr390

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Water is still on, just VERY low pressure. We were all able to shower thankfully. Pressure getting lower as they day drags on.

As far as why, apparently due to the outages and grid issues, the water pumps (funny VW joke I am sure) are not at full performance if on at all.

This shit is a real good indicator of how vulnerable any society really is if the grid were to get fucked. And I am not talking about by weather (although that is always possible), but rather by an enemy that could really want to fuck everything up. When I did an internship at DHS I used to think certain agencies were super cool. Then one guy that was an admin dude there was telling me about DOE and how their clearances are sometimes even more than the POTUS can access. Told me about Mt Weather, etc.... Super cool shit.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Funny enough, most of my open source intelligence gathering either starts with or has a role played by Twitter and the like. You'd be surprised once you tweak the algorithm how you can just find so much shit out before it even breaks on national media. I've actually gotten rewarded/praised at work for my ability to gather this sort of intel. I've been hopping between CPS Energy, ERCOT, City of SA, and SA Water Systems for now. SA looks to have 32% of people without power...

I am hoping as tomorrow is the best chance we have for normalization (high of 45) that crews can better work to get stuff back up and running. So thankful we have not lost power whatsoever. Some people I know have had no power for over 35 hours... nuts.
razr390

Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:29 pm Being without power sucks.

I'll never forget Hurricane Wilma....less than a year after we moved to SoFla....... 100 mph winds knocked out the power for 6 days .... thank God I was able to buy a generator off the back of a truck..... used it to power the fridge, a fan, a hot plate and lamps (not all at once) ......

PS That First year we lived there (2005), the state was hit with no less than 6 hurricanes (Including Katrina)......
Wilma was crazy. Funny thing about that year, we got hit from both bodies of water.... I remember being happy we had no school but then it slowly got worse because of the things you mentioned. We had a small generator and a power inverter that my dad hooked up to his Sprinter van.

Also a very fun story, we lived in these buildings called Meadowbrook. Nevertheless, they are basically a bunch of buildings that look identical to one another, and constructed in groups. Mostly full of olds, some of them are 55+ etc.

Well, my dad's spot was immediately outside of our apartment on the 1st floor, and the middle of the building had a sort of covered drop off area, like a hotel or hospital does. My dad's EMPTY sprinter van starts moving with the wind, eventually bumps very lightly into a neighbor's car, but the moment it cleared the parking space it was in, a piece of the roof from the drop off area blew right onto our spot. Legit filled our entire spot and hit the car parked in the spot over. I remember praying a lot while the van was moving, basically saying please keep the van safe so my dad can go to work after this.... I was sad it was getting moved, but when the roof fell on the spot, it would've crushed the rear of the van for sure... I definitely had a different spiritual and faith outlook during those moments... I know it was probably coincidental, but how much of a coincidence can that be??
Irish

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:04 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:57 pm

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:50 pm
Water is still on, just VERY low pressure. We were all able to shower thankfully. Pressure getting lower as they day drags on.

As far as why, apparently due to the outages and grid issues, the water pumps (funny VW joke I am sure) are not at full performance if on at all.

This shit is a real good indicator of how vulnerable any society really is if the grid were to get fucked. And I am not talking about by weather (although that is always possible), but rather by an enemy that could really want to fuck everything up. When I did an internship at DHS I used to think certain agencies were super cool. Then one guy that was an admin dude there was telling me about DOE and how their clearances are sometimes even more than the POTUS can access. Told me about Mt Weather, etc.... Super cool shit.
Back in the early 2000's there was a kind of online movement centered around peak oil and professing that were had already hit it and that the power was imminently going off for good.

I gave this alot of thought back then. I mean, it will happen someday.....and when it does we will be thrust back into the 1800's. People in the cities will die by the millions and it will be Mad Max time..... People will be killed over a can of beans and the Amish (and the like) will rule the world....

To your point Rudy, well placed EMP blasts could achieve the same thing.... they are said to fry anything with a circuit board beyond repair....... Beyond Thunderdome indeed....
razr390

Water pressure back up. Good news!
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:02 pm

:rage: :(
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 pm Water pressure back up. Good news!
:nice:
Good to hear!
razr390

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 pm Water pressure back up. Good news!
Good to hear!
Just filled the tub as a precaution. Now we have full size pots and a tub of water just in case.
Irish

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:57 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Good to hear!
Just filled the tub as a precaution. Now we have full size pots and a tub of water just in case.
Watch the news to be sure the water is safe to begin with.... sometimes it isnt when power outages affect purification systems.
razr390

Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:02 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Watch the news to be sure the water is safe to begin with.... sometimes it isnt when power outages affect purification systems.
We have bottled and spring water for drinking. This is just for bathing/toilets/etc if we lose it
Irish

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:06 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:02 pm

We have bottled and spring water for drinking. This is just for bathing/toilets/etc if we lose it
:like:
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:12 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm

To be fair, wild fires are a common occurrence in Cali. Major snow storms and winter systems aren’t that common, at least not in south Texas.
It was 70+ and I was riding my mountain bike North of Austin last Monday.

It’s now warmer here in NJ than it is south of Austin. This is not normal.
Sort of what I was getting at. Wildfires in CA are like hurricanes in FL. But what’s going on in south Texas isn’t something comparable to a bad wild fire or a bad hurricane... although the effects are similar on people, places and things.
max225

Yep a completely normal Phenomenon happens every year. As is not having a single drop of rain on the rainiest month of the year followed by 120F degree heat where SF was warmer than Death Valley ... totally normal
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Meanwhile, it's sunny and warmer than south Texas in northern MI. :wat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am Meanwhile, it's sunny and warmer than south Texas in northern MI. :wat:
I mean this country had a dust bowl ... and is sitting on a super volcano we call Yellowstone National park