OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am pretty agnostic/ :aintcare: on the whole religion thing... was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. It was a good foundation/education but Catholicism can fuck right off. That said, :tits: is somewhat into religion stuff, and I've been to a number of churches over the years. We did find one that was pretty cool (i.e. community focused, events at breweries, liberal ideals, younger crowd) and I have to say, I enjoyed going. They had some pretty good things to say regardless of whether you buy into the god thing, and we met some legitimately great people there. Obviously the 'VID shut that down :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:57 pm I am pretty agnostic/ :aintcare: on the whole religion thing... was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. It was a good foundation/education but Catholicism can fuck right off. That said, :tits: is somewhat into religion stuff, and I've been to a number of churches over the years. We did find one that was pretty cool (i.e. community focused, events at breweries, liberal ideals, younger crowd) and I have to say, I enjoyed going. They had some pretty good things to say regardless of whether you buy into the god thing, and we met some legitimately great people there. Obviously the 'VID shut that down :doe:
That's what I think from a "whole menu" perspective but my sister and brother in law are cafeteria catholics who order a la carte and that works for them. Good schools, check. Men's group, check. No birth control, no on that dawg. Full tithing? Also a no dawg. Weird all male hierarchy that ultimately invites pedophilia. Hmm, let's not think too much about that. And so forth.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm It's a difficult concept to grasp: the notion that you simply cease to exist. Aside from accepting the idea that your soul goes nowhere and you simply shut down and rot away, you also have to wrestle with the idea that you are never going to see any of your loved ones who have died before you. You also have to realize that there is absolutely no ultimate judgment based upon your earthly behaviors. So, people like Al Capone who committed murders and lived like kings will never be cast into eternal damnation.
One of the best definitions of Heaven and Hell I heard, was from a Netflix sitcom "Grace & Frankie"

But it goes as follows:
Heaven and Hell is basically determined by how people remember you after you pass.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:52 pm That said, I respect the community function many churches serve.
They definitely have a positive place in the community when done right. I agree there.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Not gonna lie doe, the thought of my "soul" fading off into nothing.
Scares the shit out of me.

I kinda like existing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:57 pm I am pretty agnostic/ :aintcare: on the whole religion thing... was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. It was a good foundation/education but Catholicism can fuck right off. That said, :tits: is somewhat into religion stuff, and I've been to a number of churches over the years. We did find one that was pretty cool (i.e. community focused, events at breweries, liberal ideals, younger crowd) and I have to say, I enjoyed going. They had some pretty good things to say regardless of whether you buy into the god thing, and we met some legitimately great people there. Obviously the 'VID shut that down :doe:
That's what I think from a "whole menu" perspective but my sister and brother in law are cafeteria catholics who order a la carte and that works for them. Good schools, check. Men's group, check. No birth control, no on that dawg. Full tithing? Also a no dawg. Weird all male hierarchy that ultimately invites pedophilia. Hmm, let's not think too much about that. And so forth.
:notwrong: I actually appreciate my Catholic School Education for the most part. They tought us how to write papers really well which helped with college. The community was pretty good, I still have friends today and graduated high school almost 15 years ago, we got to do cool shit in band like play at Disney World, New York City, and Ireland, there was a focus on volunteering in the community, etc. It gets a really bad rep but there are definite pros. The Diocese of Charlotte also paid for most of it, my parent's out of pocket was like $1-2K/year after financial aid.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am It does to me
I think about it a lot, have seen death more recently than I care to admit.
(Family deaths, not COVID.)
I think death impacts others more than the person experiencing it. That's tough for most to accept because we're so self centered. I'm not at all afraid of death, and really only practice self preservation for those that care about me and I of them. I'd have offed myself by now if I was alone...and that makes me really sad to think about all the people that feel that way.

I also have a very strong objection to the idea of a person somehow being judged to go to either the good place or the bad place. Every person has good and bad merits, and every person is loved at some point by someone. The entire concept that you have to do X number of good things or keep under X number of bad things to get somewhere just smells like ancient population control. And it probably works for many that lack a moral compass, and that's good for them. That's why I don't think believing in anything is inherently bad, it's just HOW you believe and spread that belief that I'm sick of.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:00 am
As an atheist, I think they're all the same TBH.

That REALLY gets people :triggered:

"But, but...you're going to to go hell!"

"Sure, if you believe in that sort of thing"

"What happens when you die then?"

"Do you remember what it was like before you were born?"

"....no....."

"Like that"

:triggered: :howdareu: :triggered:
If you really want to :triggered: people, start telling them that their god is nothing more than the adult version of Santa Claus.

It's a difficult concept to grasp: the notion that you simply cease to exist. Aside from accepting the idea that your soul goes nowhere and you simply shut down and rot away, you also have to wrestle with the idea that you are never going to see any of your loved ones who have died before you. You also have to realize that there is absolutely no ultimate judgment based upon your earthly behaviors. So, people like Al Capone who committed murders and lived like kings will never be cast into eternal damnation.
:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Melon wrote:Not gonna lie doe, the thought of my "soul" fading off into nothing.

I kinda like existing.
Your eternal life is whatever is remembered of you, so do something cool.
ChrisoftheNorth

I can totally see how a church or group can create a sense of community and belonging for people. I think that's an outstanding goal...but don't understand why there has to be "teachings" or "underlying messages" or whatever. Why can't people just get together in cool settings and talk about doing good things? Or go volunteer? :jesus: needs to be the driving force for some reason, and I don't understand why. Just being a good person for whatever reason isn't good enough.

And incredibly, that's all I believe in. I don't care about karma. I don't care about getting anything in return for actions. I care about being a decent human because that means there's one less shitty one in the world. Showing respect and kindness for fellow humans...it's as simple as that. But I can recognize that most people need to get something for it, so a palace in the sky or a bunch of virgins or whatever :bs: driving force works I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:56 pm
Melon wrote:Not gonna lie doe, the thought of my "soul" fading off into nothing.

I kinda like existing.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:59 pm
I can totally see how a church or group can create a sense of community and belonging for people. I think that's an outstanding goal...but don't understand why there has to be "teachings" or "underlying messages" or whatever. Why can't people just get together in cool settings and talk about doing good things? Or go volunteer? :jesus: needs to be the driving force for some reason, and I don't understand why. Just being a good person for whatever reason isn't good enough.

And incredibly, that's all I believe in. I don't care about karma. I don't care about getting anything in return for actions. I care about being a decent human because that means there's one less shitty one in the world. Showing respect and kindness for fellow humans...it's as simple as that. But I can recognize that most people need to get something for it, so a palace in the sky or a bunch of virgins or whatever :bs: driving force works I guess.
Agreed. That was what was cool about this place, and why it was the only one I was ever really down to go with her to. There was minimal scripture, it was more like going to an interesting Ted Talk in person than anything else, with some halfway decent live music. They have several pastors but would also just bring in random people to talk all of the time from many walks of life. It was a really interesting place.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Agreed. That was what was cool about this place, and why it was the only one I was ever really down to go with her to. There was minimal scripture, it was more like going to an interesting Ted Talk in person than anything else, with some halfway decent live music. They have several pastors but would also just bring in random people to talk all of the time from many walks of life. It was a really interesting place.
I can get behind this. A "church" where people just get together and talk about life with some entertainment in a cool setting would be a great way to meet people and start a sense of community.

I don't like the way the bible is misused as a guide book for most, but there's some really great perspective in there. Once you realize it's just a book of stories, it's kind of interesting to translate to life. I grew up catholic, and our priest always did a fantastic job translating scripture to actual life. Not in a BOOK SAYS THIS YOU DO THIS kind of way, but more about the meaning and purpose.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Pretty sure those places are called "bars"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:56 pm

I kinda like existing.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 pm Pretty sure those places are called "bars"
Church of St. Beertholemew
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:15 pm I don't like the way the bible is misused as a guide book for most, but there's some really great perspective in there. Once you realize it's just a book of stories, it's kind of interesting to translate to life. I grew up catholic, and our priest always did a fantastic job translating scripture to actual life. Not in a BOOK SAYS THIS YOU DO THIS kind of way, but more about the meaning and purpose.
I grew up Lutheran, and it's a much more academic study than the Baptists or Evangelicals.
I went to an Evangelical high school, 0/7.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm

I can get behind this. A "church" where people just get together and talk about life with some entertainment in a cool setting would be a great way to meet people and start a sense of community.

I don't like the way the bible is misused as a guide book for most, but there's some really great perspective in there. Once you realize it's just a book of stories, it's kind of interesting to translate to life. I grew up catholic, and our priest always did a fantastic job translating scripture to actual life. Not in a BOOK SAYS THIS YOU DO THIS kind of way, but more about the meaning and purpose.
Yeah the bible is a pretty cool piece of literature, but using it as a basis to run your entire life is :fullretard: It is a book that was written by regular dudes over 2,000 years ago. My FIL is the king of this, as is my grandma. It is a really :disgust: and common "way of life" here in the Southeast, especially once you get out of cities.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I grew up Greek Orthodox.

AMA.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:13 pm I grew up Greek Orthodox.

AMA.
I don't like the catholic structure but don't dislike those people who need it to feel spiritually fulfilled. Also, kids go to Catholic school here because the education system is superior to the public system, both are free so :aintcare:

My mom believes that concept and is a beautiful soul, shame that the system is such :bs:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

AMA.
The Greeks brought Orthodox christianity to Czechoslovakia, seems that Rome had something else booked that week.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:43 pm

AMA.
The Greeks brought Orthodox christianity to Czechoslovakia, seems that Rome had something else booked that week.
I never heard that. I did not see any Orthodox churches when I was in Prague. I thought they were Catholics and Hussites. Those were the only churches I saw there or in Bratislava. :iono:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussites# ... ussites%20(Czech%3A%20Husit%C3%A9%20or,representative%20of%20the%20Bohemian%20Reformation.
wap

Serbia is Orthodox, :doe: . Russia, too. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:43 pm

I never heard that. I did not see any Orthodox churches when I was in Prague. I thought they were Catholics and Hussites. Those were the only churches I saw there or in Bratislava. :iono:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussites# ... ussites%20(Czech%3A%20Husit%C3%A9%20or,representative%20of%20the%20Bohemian%20Reformation.
I was born in Bratislava, it's what I'm being told. One of the reasons they adopted the double cross into their flag. The eastern half of Slovakia has a really high percentage of Grecko-Orthodox "Catholics" whatever that means really.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:49 pm Serbia is Orthodox, :doe: . Russia, too. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?
Slovakia is split, what percentage I'm not sure exactly. Passive observer at best.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_ ... lic_Church