OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks man! I am very lowkey when it comes to my birthday. I don’t like to announce it as I feel it’s just asking for attention and I’m not bout dat lyfe.

Bday was good. Celebrated on Saturday by driving the Texas hill country and yesterday (actual bday) was spent eating my favorite dish cooked by Joseline, a bundt cake, and the company of Joseline and the munchkin. After munchkin went to sleep we had some prosciutto, salami and cheese with some sangria. I knocked out mid-movie.
:notbad:

Man, I need to take a little hill country drive and just get some me-time, haven't taken a drive just to drive in many months. Sounds :fuckyeah:
I do this all the time now. Need me to go get bread? No problem...oops turned the wrong way up the coast and had to drive a while to find a turn-around. Darn.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:54 pm

Man, I need to take a little hill country drive and just get some me-time, haven't taken a drive just to drive in many months. Sounds :fuckyeah:
I do this all the time now. Need me to go get bread? No problem...oops turned the wrong way up the coast and had to drive a while to find a turn-around. Darn.
I just sort of feel guilty about consumption now but I guess within moderation it is OK. I suppose I should :aintcare: like everyone else and then just kill myself when shit hits the fan.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm
I just sort of feel guilty about consumption now but I guess within moderation it is OK. I suppose I should :aintcare: like everyone else and then just kill myself when shit hits the fan.
Been meaning to reply to this since I read about it this morning. I had this exact sort of mental breakdown where I was freaking out about societal usage/consumption right before our little one was born. I think it was in part due to me realizing i had to care about/for someone other than myself and they have a 25-6 year disadvantage on me
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

All in moderation. I was actually joking about the bread thing. In fact, I find that living a bit further from things actually results in us driving less and being more resourceful. When it's a 15-20 minute drive to things, we figure out ways to make due and make trips more meaningful in that we wait to do all the errands at once instead of one off. I bet our overall consumption is down compared to stop and go in the city, which is actually worse for GHG emissions and FE.

My truck is getting an indicated 18.5 overall right now, the highest it's ever been. Wife's JL is indicating 26 :mindblown: Very little stop and go and 55mph MAX speed limits will do that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Been meaning to reply to this since I read about it this morning. I had this exact sort of mental breakdown where I was freaking out about societal usage/consumption right before our little one was born. I think it was in part due to me realizing i had to care about/for someone other than myself and they have a 25-6 year disadvantage on me
:dat: I don't really think anything will come crashing down in our lifetime, although it's possible. It is concerning that future generations may be fucked. It's also sad to think of a world where many of the amazing national and state parks will be burned to the ground or gone, oceans filled with trash, wildlife dead, etc.

It is rather challenging to think about, as it is really impossible to live in our society without contributing hugely to all of these issues and it just sort of makes me hate myself and those around me.

:ohwell: :thisisfine:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm

All in moderation. I was actually joking about the bread thing. In fact, I find that living a bit further from things actually results in us driving less and being more resourceful. When it's a 15-20 minute drive to things, we figure out ways to make due and make trips more meaningful in that we wait to do all the errands at once instead of one off. I bet our overall consumption is down compared to stop and go in the city, which is actually worse for GHG emissions and FE.

My truck is getting an indicated 18.5 overall right now, the highest it's ever been. Wife's JL is indicating 26 :mindblown: Very little stop and go and 55mph MAX speed limits will do that.
:word:

I think being mindful is really key. Like, if this trip/purchase/consumption isn't really making a difference in your life and making you happy, don't consume.

I think this has been on my mind so much this week because we went over to visit one of :tits: friends and swim at their new house, and it was just over the top. 5200 square feet, at least 10 TVs, all of this built in pointless shit like speakers everywhere, walk in wine cooler, remote control blinds, massive pool with fountains and water slide, hot tub, like 6-7 bathrooms. All of this in the boonies, they drive over an hour each way to work, and all for two adults and two small children.

I mean, on the one hand, they are self made people who worked for this shit and evidently wanted to spend $1.5 mill for this house, but as we were getting the tour, I just found I was absolutely disgusted by all of it. Maybe it is jealousy? :iono: but I don't think so. Just the amount of shit consumed to build and keep a place like that going is insane to me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:iono: I feel like I used to be so outgoing and love being around people and now just find so many people and their habits to be :disgust:

This family are actually very nice, and I mean, using their pool was cool and all... but I dunno, I am just turning into a disgruntled old fuck I guess.

Sorry for the pointless rant :lolol: Just venting.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:43 pm :iono: I feel like I used to be so outgoing and love being around people and now just find so many people and their habits to be :disgust:

This family are actually very nice, and I mean, using their pool was cool and all... but I dunno, I am just turning into a disgruntled old fuck I guess.

Sorry for the pointless rant :lolol: Just venting.
People are mostly annoying that hasn't changed with covid. Tolerance may have gone down because we keep seeing nothing but insanity on TV and in real life.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:41 pm

I think being mindful is really key. Like, if this trip/purchase/consumption isn't really making a difference in your life and making you happy, don't consume.

I think this has been on my mind so much this week because we went over to visit one of :tits: friends and swim at their new house, and it was just over the top. 5200 square feet, at least 10 TVs, all of this built in pointless shit like speakers everywhere, walk in wine cooler, remote control blinds, massive pool with fountains and water slide, hot tub, like 6-7 bathrooms. All of this in the boonies, they drive over an hour each way to work, and all for two adults and two small children.

I mean, on the one hand, they are self made people who worked for this shit and evidently wanted to spend $1.5 mill for this house, but as we were getting the tour, I just found I was absolutely disgusted by all of it. Maybe it is jealousy? :iono: but I don't think so. Just the amount of shit consumed to build and keep a place like that going is insane to me.
Hey man, I know what you're saying and I read the post after this, but remember, this is a free country and it doesn't matter how it makes you feel about their house, it's how THEY feel. I've heard a lot of the same shit here and by friends about moving 1.5 hours away, but everyone can suck it as far as I am concerned. I make my own decisions with my wife and do what we please.

We shouldn't care what others do or want, just like they shouldn't critique your decisions. If you let them, a BernieBro will be around in a minute to tell you that your life choices make them sick and all you really need is a tiny house to share with your wife and 4 other adults and their brood.

ChrisoftheNorth

You just described the "American Dream" that everyone is promised a right to. That's the problem...people strive toward access consumption. We fucking fell victim to it with our moving up the property ladder and bigger is better and whatnot. Then we realized it's all bullshit, cleaning a big house fucking sucks (I can't image a 5200 sq ft palace), the energy consumption to heat in the winter, the outrageous water use to water worthless landscape and grass...it's all a monumental waste that ends up being more hassle than it's worth. Problem is, people don't stop to think about it, and just keep consuming. Pop out a kid and suddenly it's all justified, then have a few more and you need even MOAR space and bullshit and the cycle perpetuates. Since we're rewarded by a thriving economy from excess consumption, it's encouraged in society.

I adjusted ridiculously quickly to living in 1.5k sq ft, it really is ideal for 2 people. Since the house is built to be as thermally efficient as possible, we consume next to no energy, and have the perfect opportunity to go solar and off the grid entirely eventually if we wanted to. We're talking more about reusing/repurposing what's already in the house rather than ripping things out and replacing (polishing the concrete floors instead of carpeting/tile).

Feels good to drop out of the rat race honestly. It's not for everyone, but I wish more people would think twice about MOAR.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:07 pm

Hey man, I know what you're saying and I read the post after this, but remember, this is a free country and it doesn't matter how it makes you feel about their house, it's how THEY feel. I've heard a lot of the same shit here and by friends about moving 1.5 hours away, but everyone can suck it as far as I am concerned. I make my own decisions with my wife and do what we please.

We shouldn't care what others do or want, just like they shouldn't critique your decisions. If you let them, a BernieBro will be around in a minute to tell you that your life choices make them sick and all you really need is a tiny house to share with your wife and 4 other adults and their brood.

It really does come down to what makes you happy, and being happy with what you have. I just know I fell victim to chasing more shit to make myself happy and it didn't really work. That's on me, not everyone else. Some people like all the stuff, and that's cool for them, we need that to keep the economy going.

Bottom line is that it comes down to personal preference as long as it doesn't mess with others. That's where the gray area starts, but I'm more :triggered: by people with 10 kids than a couple with a big house and a bunch of toys. The world doesn't need more people.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notwrong: and that’s honestly what I struggle with. Their house is beautiful and they like it/earned it. I have always believed in that and that’s why I’m so torn as I also struggle with the environmental impact of the way we all live.

I don’t care about having a large house, but I love to drive on racetracks and travel and have done both a ton, which are also terrible for the planet.

:notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth

Our sunset tonight. It's not cloudy here, that's smoke from out west.

:mindblown:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ima gonna except this from your list.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks man! I am very lowkey when it comes to my birthday. I don’t like to announce it as I feel it’s just asking for attention and I’m not bout dat lyfe.

Bday was good. Celebrated on Saturday by driving the Texas hill country and yesterday (actual bday) was spent eating my favorite dish cooked by Joseline, a bundt cake, and the company of Joseline and the munchkin. After munchkin went to sleep we had some prosciutto, salami and cheese with some sangria. I knocked out mid-movie.

My "me-time" drive yesterday was the first I've done in probably 2 years. :disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:13 pm I know I will be told I'm :wrong: but one of my favorite bits of this time of year is the 30+ degree temperature swings between day and night. It'll get down to 42 tonight then up to 75 tomorrow.
Perfect sleeping weather. :megusta:
It's been getting down to mid-low 50's here then up to 70's-low 80's during the day. :muah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:13 pm I know I will be told I'm :wrong: but one of my favorite bits of this time of year is the 30+ degree temperature swings between day and night. It'll get down to 42 tonight then up to 75 tomorrow.
I am looking forward to breaking out the Carhartts for some cooler weather. :megusta:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I've been sleeping from like 3 to 10 AM because there's no point in getting out of bed when it's too cold to do anything. Fuck cold.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:03 pm Image

Our sunset tonight. It's not cloudy here, that's smoke from out west.

:mindblown:
It's made it all the way here. It's incredible.
Happens every year 0 sympathy, according to some
max225

Every day here, 55 to 85
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:37 pm

:notwrong: and that’s honestly what I struggle with. Their house is beautiful and they like it/earned it. I have always believed in that and that’s why I’m so torn as I also struggle with the environmental impact of the way we all live.

I don’t care about having a large house, but I love to drive on racetracks and travel and have done both a ton, which are also terrible for the planet.

The environmental impact of the kids is probably 100x worse than their house. Also... all that for 1.5 :foreveralone:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Happens every year 0 sympathy, according to some
Yep, the whole west coast goes up in flames every year.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 pm

You just described the "American Dream" that everyone is promised a right to. That's the problem...people strive toward access consumption. We fucking fell victim to it with our moving up the property ladder and bigger is better and whatnot. Then we realized it's all bullshit, cleaning a big house fucking sucks (I can't image a 5200 sq ft palace), the energy consumption to heat in the winter, the outrageous water use to water worthless landscape and grass...it's all a monumental waste that ends up being more hassle than it's worth. Problem is, people don't stop to think about it, and just keep consuming. Pop out a kid and suddenly it's all justified, then have a few more and you need even MOAR space and bullshit and the cycle perpetuates. Since we're rewarded by a thriving economy from excess consumption, it's encouraged in society.

I adjusted ridiculously quickly to living in 1.5k sq ft, it really is ideal for 2 people. Since the house is built to be as thermally efficient as possible, we consume next to no energy, and have the perfect opportunity to go solar and off the grid entirely eventually if we wanted to. We're talking more about reusing/repurposing what's already in the house rather than ripping things out and replacing (polishing the concrete floors instead of carpeting/tile).

Feels good to drop out of the rat race honestly. It's not for everyone, but I wish more people would think twice about MOAR.
I also too have no desire to own a big house, or anything bigger than around 2,500 sq ft. Even if I can afford and buy a huge mcmansion if I want to. Growing up in suburbs is nice, but I also don't want to be too far from the city even if I'm 50-60. If I want a retreat, I'd just simply travel somewhere, like a weekend roadtrip. Perhaps a summer home at a beach town with a pool and not huge, ive never been a fan of lakes.

But that's coming from someone who grew up in apartments until 14, mostly being in the New York of Turkey. It's probably a matter of getting used to based on why getting out of the rat race is pretty much non-existent for me. But you can still get a nice apartment/penthouse if I have no problem dropping $5-6k a month on mortgage or perhaps $900k for a roof on top of your head.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:gtfo:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Same! I really do love this weather.