A covid pole right up the nose

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!

Show me on the pole where the covid19 touched you

I’ve had it
No votes
I personally know and interacted (any kind of communication) with someone who had it.
55%
I heard my uncle’s cousin’s stepson had it, I think they’re ok but wouldn’t really know.
3%
I haven’t had any personal connection to anyone whose caught it.
9%
A close friend or family member is a medical worker on the frontlines.
30%
I have a second cousin thrice removed who is a frontline worker, but they’re weird and I never talk to them.
3%
No connection to any frontline healthcare workers.
No votes

Total votes: 33
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Just a question that has been rumbling around in my head as this year goes on. I’m just kinda curious how many folks have been impacted by this, as well as how many people have connections to frontline medical workers. I’ve been in that world for ages, but it occurs to me I have no idea, outside of my sphere, how connected to that world most people are. So here is my fully scientific poll. Sample size: DFD.

This has nothing to do with the politics of the thing, but I also don’t care if this thread becomes a haven for venting about it, regardless of where your opinions are. Might even be a good thing to have a venting space here outside of the politics thread.
:therapist:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I have numerous connections, both family and friends, that are ER nurses dealing with this on a daily basis.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Aunt and Uncle in FL both had it. Both received multiple days of hospitalization. Uncle was in ICU on a ventilator for about a week. He came home about a week ago.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Friend at work had it very early on (March), got it from a group sitting beside them at a driving range.

My cousin is a Respiratory therapist and intubates people for s living. She caught it from a patient that was in for non-Covid things in April.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Drummer for my band works at the chimp testing facility and has 14 cases at his facility. People, not chimps.
It's the reason we can't do our weekly practices. Also the wife and I got tested a couple of weeks ago after the idiot that worked a desk over from her got it from her boyfriend. They let her back without having a negative test result (because they're so overworked and shorthanded and too right wing leaning to accept that it's a medical risk rather than some hoax). Wife got a 2nd test yesterday for a pre-screening for some nasal surgery she's having.

Also, Barnes had it, and still owes me my baby Yodas and penis valve stems.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

My cousin and her husband are both doctors in MI. She's psych so not front line, but he's ER and had it pretty early on. Healthy ~40 year old :doe: and no issues.

Another friend swears he had it but didn't want to go to the hospital unless he was dying, so he was never tested. Bad flu-like symptoms basically put him on the couch for the whole month of March, so maybe he's right.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Mom's cousin got it and passed from it, sadly. Late 60's didn't "trust doctors" so questionable health history (heart disease runs in the family).

I know nobody else, but he was a blow to me. Great guy, I have excellent memories with him, and that's what counts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am in the cousin's girlfriend's uncle category for everything. One of my coworkers/friend's aunt and uncle (live in NYC) got it and passed away but were late 80s in age. I haven' met anyone personally who's had it, but I've heard of some other instances of people getting it (a friend's dad) but they all seemed to be fine.

I do have one friend who is a doctor in NYC, she is OB/GYN so not exactly front lines, but said the hospital scene was pretty brutal.

I have about 400 customers I talk to on an ongoing basis and haven't heard of any of them or their immediate families getting the virus... anecdotal obviously, but an interesting data point.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 pm I am in the cousin's girlfriend's uncle category for everything. One of my coworkers/friend's aunt and uncle (live in NYC) got it and passed away but were late 80s in age. I haven' met anyone personally who's had it, but I've heard of some other instances of people getting it (a friend's dad) but they all seemed to be fine.

I do have one friend who is a doctor in NYC, she is OB/GYN so not exactly front lines, but said the hospital scene was pretty brutal.

I have about 400 customers I talk to on an ongoing basis and haven't heard of any of them or their immediate families getting the virus... anecdotal obviously, but an interesting data point.
I have a few clients who have had or their immediate family has had it.

I think 2 people from the bank passed from it as well.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have an ER doc niece and a brother in law who is respiratory therapist. So far so good. Good friend of mine who is a physician in Bath Maine got it from another doc during an admin meeting. He isolated and recovered. He is thin and in great shape, 52 yoa. Friends dad got it in NE Oklahoma, in his 80s, smoked him. Wife's ex's dad has it, in his 80s, it's gonna take him down.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Coworker here got it. Laid him up for 3.5 weeks before he was well enough to come back to work. Another 7 or 8 shop guys got it but all recovered. Had a couple more suspected positives early on when testing wasn't available so they recouped at home.

Friend's husband is a cardiologist but has been recruited to do front line work in the hospital he's affiliated with because they need the help. :notsure: if he's still doing that, :doe:

Mom lives in a retirement community and so far only one person got it, an employee, not a resident, so bullet dodged :sweaty:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

I've had a handful of field providers that I work directly with who have had it, no deaths thankfully.

No one at work directly, but we've got a fella in quarantine right now who was diagnosed with a respiratory infection, dunno if he got tested :doe:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

One of my turkish friends whose been living in SF for 5 years just flew to Turkey to be with his family around late march. He carried the virus and his mom got positive, which she survived. I've hung out with them a couple months later after that when the cases have gotten easier, with following the social distancing parameters of course. But thats about it.

None of my family members or relatives are essential health care workers fortunately.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

2 friends got it
1 Had flu like sickness didn't fucking stay home and kept going out
1 His gf, had loss of taste and nothing else

My cousin in Russia got it:
Didn't know she had it, had to get tested for antibodies for work... and found out. 0 symptoms

Overall in my larger circle it doesn't seem bad. But obviously it affects everyone differently.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I don't know anyone personally yet, a few suspect it, but tested negative.
I did get a COVID test on Monday, but turned out to be a sinus infection (I figured as much)
Results were negative.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

Our Health and Safety manager (of all people) suspected that he may have gotten it but his test result yesterday was negative. :sweaty:
Calvinball

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 am My cousin and her husband are both doctors in MI. She's psych so not front line, but he's ER and had it pretty early on. Healthy ~40 year old :doe: and no issues.

Another friend swears he had it but didn't want to go to the hospital unless he was dying, so he was never tested. Bad flu-like symptoms basically put him on the couch for the whole month of March, so maybe he's right.
Sounds very possible.
Calvinball

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 pm Mom's cousin got it and passed from it, sadly. Late 60's didn't "trust doctors" so questionable health history (heart disease runs in the family).

I know nobody else, but he was a blow to me. Great guy, I have excellent memories with him, and that's what counts.
Sorry to hear that :(
Calvinball

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 pm I am in the cousin's girlfriend's uncle category for everything. One of my coworkers/friend's aunt and uncle (live in NYC) got it and passed away but were late 80s in age. I haven' met anyone personally who's had it, but I've heard of some other instances of people getting it (a friend's dad) but they all seemed to be fine.

Interesting. Obviously the info I get from my jerb is skewed since we are a healthcare organization. I wonder if there really is little to no occurrence, or if they just don’t talk about it while doing business?
Calvinball

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:09 pm I have an ER doc niece and a brother in law who is respiratory therapist. So far so good. Good friend of mine who is a physician in Bath Maine got it from another doc during an admin meeting. He isolated and recovered. He is thin and in great shape, 52 yoa. Friends dad got it in NE Oklahoma, in his 80s, smoked him. Wife's ex's dad has it, in his 80s, it's gonna take him down.
One of my main concerns is my parents. They’re getting up there in age now (dad is 76).
Calvinball

wap wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:50 pm Coworker here got it. Laid him up for 3.5 weeks before he was well enough to come back to work. Another 7 or 8 shop guys got it but all recovered. Had a couple more suspected positives early on when testing wasn't available so they recouped at home.

Friend's husband is a cardiologist but has been recruited to do front line work in the hospital he's affiliated with because they need the help. :notsure: if he's still doing that, :doe:

Mom lives in a retirement community and so far only one person got it, an employee, not a resident, so bullet dodged :sweaty:
Good to hear about your mom’s place, they must be handling things well I would think.
Calvinball

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:33 pm 2 friends got it
1 Had flu like sickness didn't fucking stay home and kept going out
1 His gf, had loss of taste and nothing else

My cousin in Russia got it:
Didn't know she had it, had to get tested for antibodies for work... and found out. 0 symptoms

Overall in my larger circle it doesn't seem bad. But obviously it affects everyone differently.
It is crazy how differently it presents in different people. I imagine that’s one of the factors making research on it difficult.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

1 friend got it. Took him 4 weeks to get rid of it. Flu like symptoms, worked it out at home isolated in one bedroom.
His wife, Lisa's best friend from grade school, lost an aunt and uncle to it.
wap

Calvinball wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:08 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:50 pm Coworker here got it. Laid him up for 3.5 weeks before he was well enough to come back to work. Another 7 or 8 shop guys got it but all recovered. Had a couple more suspected positives early on when testing wasn't available so they recouped at home.

Good to hear about your mom’s place, they must be handling things well I would think.
Thanks. Yea, they initiated a strict lock down early on. Residents have to eat in their apartments instead of the communal dining room, all entertainment activities suspended indefinitely, no visitors, residents until recently could not leave the building, etc. They've since loosened up a bit recently since Illinois has done a decent job with our Covfefe-19 fight. Residents are allowed in the dining room again, but only 4 to a table that normally sits 10. They can go outside now for walks and they can have visitors, but just outside. If they leave the premises they have to self quarantine for 2 weeks.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Cousin of mine is a doctor in Singapore, and they've been able to keep the surges under control there with simple measures of testing, contact tracing, and the general public not acting like every instruction is a government overreach.

The fiancé's uncle tested positive. He has Parkinson's and lives in an assisted living facility where the virus ran rampant. Luckily, his symptoms were very minor, but there was a period where we weren't sure if it was going to be a death sentence for him.

My aunt's father contracted it and died. The foreman for the roofing project at work said he has had two friends die from it.