OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Yeah, I might be glad someday that we spent a pretty "easy to afford" amount should things change. But when we're paying a bunch extra on the mortgage anyway and houses are appreciating at a very high rate here still, it's kind of like :butwhy: didn't we just spend 1.5X, we would've made more money and paid the same monthly bill.

:ohwell: I feel sometimes I am just too risk averse with such things.
Most places charge you 3% at least for mortgage + at least 1% for property tax + at least 1% a year for Repair and maintenance ~ 5-6% MINIMUM annually to have a house. Are you saying your house is out appreciating these carrying costs?
Yes, bought for $327K, now worth ~$370K eight months later.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:21 pm https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/242 ... e/44182784

Damn Charlotte is a 7 figure place already :mindblown:
That is a very ideal and very expensive location... we are right off the same road about three miles south, those three miles plus a much nicer house make a big difference.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:06 pm Yo, go vote for the :melon: mobile! https://129photos.com/#!gallery/25/image/726/DAV_3488

(my old car)
Voted!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:37 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm

Most places charge you 3% at least for mortgage + at least 1% for property tax + at least 1% a year for Repair and maintenance ~ 5-6% MINIMUM annually to have a house. Are you saying your house is out appreciating these carrying costs?
this may not be sustainable... :yikes:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:59 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Try on a combo of crippling anxiety, self-loathing, and 24/7 physical pain with a side of hating everything about where you live then get back to me. I do have some pretty nice distractions available thanks to not being poor, but they are not solutions.

The point was that I generally don't care that much about having more money. Anything short of MaxMillions to be able to move to CA/France is simply not enough to really change my life, and I'm unwilling to devote the rest of my life to achieving that so I'm already pretty much "set" financially. This is as good as it gets on that front.
:notbad: way to look at it, IMO. This is basically where I am at as well... I look at my boss for example, I have no interest in taking on that stress and aggravation to be able to buy more shit or whatever. I wouldn't mind actually making commission again at some point but at least they haven't fired me.
You're gonna live a long life.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:37 pm

I hope not... it's been a steady 5-10%/year climb since like 2008, this COVID shit has accelerated the rise. I'm glad we didn't wait any longer, seems like it has worked out fine for us.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:39 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:21 pm https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/242 ... e/44182784

Damn Charlotte is a 7 figure place already :mindblown:
That is a very ideal and very expensive location... we are right off the same road about three miles south, those three miles plus a much nicer house make a big difference.
I mean at that price it better be, it is not far off from california prices... and I don't think the pay out there has caught up to 300k-400k annual salaries that it takes to own this.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:13 pm Being paid to do things you enjoy is the penultimate :alpo: luck. (the ultimate being to simply be born wealthy)

Unfortunately most of us prefer doing "worthless" stuff like driving cars or drinking beers or whatever. Turns out most companies aren't hiring for those positions. :jalepenis:

Even you guys must still care about money a lot though. Why else do you choose to work hard in a lucrative field instead of working hard at something worthless? You think that you'd get the same enjoyment out of trying your hardest to be the best ditch digger in history?

Anything can become lucrative with hard work. The best ditch digger in history makes great money. My field isn't lucrative at all, typically.
:okboomer:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:16 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:59 pm

I hope not... it's been a steady 5-10%/year climb since like 2008, this COVID shit has accelerated the rise. I'm glad we didn't wait any longer, seems like it has worked out fine for us.
Yea I think that's a fair assessment. It seems like Covid hit suburbia prices HARD. Urban prices are dropping out here and suburbia spiking... no one wants to be around drug needles and feces... GO FIGURE!
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:26 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Yea I think that's a fair assessment. It seems like Covid hit suburbia prices HARD. Urban prices are dropping out here and suburbia spiking... no one wants to be around drug needles and feces... GO FIGURE!
In the North East there is a distinct split in the suburbs - mid priced (400 to 700) homes are skyrocketing in price and extremely short listing times. 750+ are rotting on the market and over a million are doing dog shit.

Urban NE isn't taking much (if any of a hit).
What's short for you guys ?

It's single digits here... I saw my current house 12 hrs after it hit the market and was in contract in 7 days of listing date... (first offer date) average DOM is about 2-12 days here.

My dad sold his house without it ever hitting the market, because the neighbor saw staging dudes and bought it... :lol:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:18 pm :okboomer:
I'm different from the boomer mentality as I didn't day with "will become."

Here is the big difference I suspect... If I was in your shoes I'd be working at Sherwin Williams and be the hardest worker they have ever seen. And I'd take pleasure simply in that hard work. That's it. "A hard days work is its own reward" is absolutely true. If you've never experienced it you've probably never truly worked hard.
Again: Why do you choose a high salary job if you only care about working hard? You could pick cotton harder than you work now and that would be "better" for you, no?

The idea that we all must like the same things is nuts. Busting ass and being exhausted is not a reward, it is an expense. All time/energy spent working on things that I don't care about is time/energy that is not available to do things that I do care about.

To use your phrasing: "Having time to do things you care about is its own reward. If you've never experienced it, then you've probably never truly cared about anything." See how dumb that sounds?
Last edited by troyguitar on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:28 pm What's short for you guys ?

It's single digits here... I saw my current house 12 hrs after it hit the market and was in contract in 7 days of listing date... (first offer date) average DOM is about 2-12 days here.

My dad sold his house without it ever hitting the market, because the neighbor saw staging dudes and bought it... Image
Similar. Most stuff is selling in preview and the stuff that actually goes on is a couple days, max.
Unless it's near here.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:30 pm Again: Why do you choose a high salary job if you only care about working hard? You could pick cotton harder than you work now and that would be "better" for you, no?
I didn't choose a high salary job. I started at under 30 because I needed any job and made it a high salary job by enthusiasm and hard work

The idea that we all must like the same things is nuts. Busting ass and being exhausted is not a reward, it is an expense. All time/energy spent working on things that I don't care about is time/energy that is not available to do things that I do care about.
I just can't fathom anyone that doesn't take satisfaction in becoming an expert at something. And since we all have to work (ok, the rest of us all have to work even if you don't), why not work hard enough to become an expert and enjoy the process of growth and learning?
To use your phrasing: "Having time to do things you care about is its own reward. If you've never experienced it, then you've probably never truly cared about anything." See how dumb that sounds?
No. That sounds absolutely right on the mark. If you live in Troy's brain where life is binary it might sound dumb but most of us don't live there.
Imagine for a moment that the things you enjoy learning don't pay anything.

I have for example more than doubled my power output on the bike this year. Yeah it's nice to make progress. No I'm not ever going to make a penny from it - and, critically, I would not be able to make that progress if I also had to work 80 hours a week. Guess I'm just not trying hard enough.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Imagine for a moment that the things you enjoy learning don't pay anything.
Not hard to imagine, most of them don't. I HAVE to work to support myself and now my family. You get to be a sugar baby. This isn't :alpo: luck this is :mahtroy: luck at its core.
I have for example more than doubled my power output on the bike this year. Yeah it's nice to make progress. No I'm not ever going to make a penny from it - and, critically, I would not be able to make that progress if I also had to work 80 hours a week. Guess I'm just not trying hard enough.
You're proving my point. I've lost 20 pounds and learned to absolutely love exercise that's progress that'll never make me a dime but *gasp* life isn't binary. It's a yes and.

I guess if my wife supported me I wouldn't have to take pleasure in work. That's probably the disconnect here. The fact that most of us have to work and for you it's a choice.
You don't have to work. Your wife makes more than mine, doesn't she?

Hell I don't know if anyone here has a partner making under $30k. None of us need to work - unless of course you simply want more money. But that's a want, not a need.
Last edited by troyguitar on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm You don't have to work. Your wife makes more than mine, doesn't she?

Hell I don't know if anyone here has a partner making under $30k. None of us needs to work - unless of course you simply want more money.
STRONGLY doubt my wife makes more than yours. She could if she worked 60 hours a week but I'm not going to ask her to do that for me.

To be clear, I don't think you're wrong conceptually. You've just hacked the system in a way I can't possibly fathom.
I "hacked the system" by being unable to get/keep a job. It's not actually a choice.

The lucky part is that I'm not dirt poor like I deserve to be as a result of my failures.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Not hard to imagine, most of them don't. I HAVE to work to support myself and now my family. You get to be a sugar baby. This isn't :alpo: luck this is :mahtroy: luck at its core.

You're proving my point. I've lost 20 pounds and learned to absolutely love exercise that's progress that'll never make me a dime but *gasp* life isn't binary. It's a yes and.

I guess if my wife supported me I wouldn't have to take pleasure in work. That's probably the disconnect here. The fact that most of us have to work and for you it's a choice.
You don't have to work. Your wife makes more than mine, doesn't she?

Hell I don't know if anyone here has a partner making under $30k. None of us need to work - unless of course you simply want more money. But that's a want, not a need.
:hai:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm You don't have to work. Your wife makes more than mine, doesn't she?

Fuck. What happened to the dream job?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 pm
4zilch wrote:
Fuck. What happened to the dream job?
COVID furloughs bruh
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:16 pm

:dat: I am sort of surprised that our neighborhood has gone up so much. For this money you could go 10 miles further out and have 2X the size and some other nice perks. I think the price jump is due to people wanting out of apartments - apartments suck when you are stuck in them and can't go out and do nightlife and stuff.

I now wish we were further in the burbs to be honest, but once this shit ends I may feel differently.

I think if :tits: would go for it, I'd cash out on this place and go live at the beach in something like this - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/900- ... 3220_zpid/?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:57 pm

:highfive:

Even without COVID we’re basically a single income family.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 pm I "hacked the system" by being unable to get/keep a job. It's not actually a choice.

The lucky part is that I'm not dirt poor like I deserve to be as a result of my failures.
Well that second part is the hack. I'd have to be working at a McDonald's day one if I was in your shoes (part of that is kids which is a choice that isn't part of this conversation but certainly has an impact on the base amount of money we need to survive).
I'd get fired from a few shit jobs, eventually end up on TrumpBux, and finally probably kill myself because I'm a lazy worthless mofo. :thisisfine:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:16 pm I'd get fired from a few shit jobs, eventually end up on TrumpBux, and finally probably kill myself because I'm a lazy worthless mofo. :thisisfine:
Works for Trump voters
They skip the last part :doe: which is why there's so much competition for shit jobs.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:16 pm I'd get fired from a few shit jobs, eventually end up on TrumpBux, and finally probably kill myself because I'm a lazy worthless mofo. :thisisfine:
Works for Trump voters
:ban:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:16 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Well that second part is the hack. I'd have to be working at a McDonald's day one if I was in your shoes (part of that is kids which is a choice that isn't part of this conversation but certainly has an impact on the base amount of money we need to survive).
I'd get fired from a few shit jobs, eventually end up on TrumpBux, and finally probably kill myself because I'm a lazy worthless mofo. :thisisfine:
I don't think that is the case... You'd be amazed at how bad many lower tier employees often are.

Maybe after all the research and experimentation you've done, you can start a bicycle repair shop in Corning.

Also to the earlier point regarding caring about money, it is true, we all care to some extent. I basically have to work 30-40+ hours/week to survive, so yes, to some extent I will try to maximize that to make more money and/or not hate the time I have to spend working.
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 pm Fuck. What happened to the dream job?
COVID furloughs bruh
:flaccid:

Sucks to lose a job, but it sucks more to lose the dream job. I hope she gets it back.