OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

25k for that blade :doe: a bit too rich for my blood but nice!
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm
max225 wrote: :csb:
Paid a loaded JLUR over ask, no contingencies.
You really are a different species living in a different universe from me.
I dunno man, this was years in the making... 4th of july insanity that happened at my house pushed both and me and the :tits: over the edge... we dumped a lot of money into a different place to live, it's like an enormous tax for living here. But we have no choice... either that or leave friends and family behind.

For now the RE market seems stable enough that we shouldn't be too AT risk, also tried to make sure we can get a place that we can afford on 1 salary. Which is why I'll be spending weekends and evenings repainting the house and laying floors for the next few weeks.

Why? Because manual labor here costs $200 an hr.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:01 pm 25k for that blade :doe: a bit too rich for my blood but nice!
:word: I could try to orchestrate some kind of homie-hookup if you saw any of their shit you liked, but obviously even after a nice discount on $25K speakers, you're still left with some really fucking expensive speakers.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:01 pm 25k for that blade :doe: a bit too rich for my blood but nice!
:word: I could try to orchestrate some kind of homie-hookup if you saw any of their shit you liked, but obviously even after a nice discount on $25K speakers, you're still left with some really fucking expensive speakers.
yea for sure... I mean the BO is sort of stretching it also, I mean I can do a lot of shit with $2800, but I love how it looks, and it would a conversation piece.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I weirdly think that our biggest mistake in house buying was spending too little. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:08 pm

yea for sure... I mean the BO is sort of stretching it also, I mean I can do a lot of shit with $2800, but I love how it looks, and it would a conversation piece.
That does look great and I would assume given the brand/price that it would sound really good. You're looking to just have one speaker :doe: ?

I would want a stereo pair to actually listen to music properly if I'm spending a number with a comma in it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm You really are a different species living in a different universe from me.
You are so obsessed with money.
Not really. I could have a lot more if I cared as much as you guys seem to think that I do... Instead I "waste" my time on things like cars, music, bikes, drinks, fashion, cooking, family, etc. rather than focusing on getting more money like most of you guys.

In fact I bet that YOU and probably every other DFD member spends at least 50% more time and effort on making money than I do, so fuck the hell off Dan. You fuckers are the ones whose lives revolve around making money more than mine.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:04 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:58 pm You really are a different species living in a different universe from me.
I dunno man, this was years in the making... 4th of july insanity that happened at my house pushed both and me and the :tits: over the edge... we dumped a lot of money into a different place to live, it's like an enormous tax for living here. But we have no choice... either that or leave friends and family behind.

For now the RE market seems stable enough that we shouldn't be too AT risk, also tried to make sure we can get a place that we can afford on 1 salary. Which is why I'll be spending weekends and evenings repainting the house and laying floors for the next few weeks.

Why? Because manual labor here costs $200 an hr.
What I meant is that in most of the country/world people are unemployed and not buying shit. You live in a little 1%'er utopia which might as well be a different planet. Houses here are selling for about what they did in 2010, if they sell at all. :manuel: labor is $10-15 an hour if you can find work.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:46 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:44 pm

Gotcha... would 100% smallish good speaker every day over "okay" speaker that looks neat though. They pretty much disappear in a room larger than 12x12 when done right and you can get them in rosewood or black. Maybe you just want in ceiling speakers and a sub you can hide somewhere?
that would be :neat: but I think I am not doing built ins... I have seen some decently mounted sonos speakers. I guess I should research that a bit more, because they blend in pretty good in white.
Just pay attention the the room you are putting them in. Actually, looking at the Sonos site, they changed things up and the only speaker I would recommend is the 5. I have a four working 5's and two pairs of 3's (no longer made it seems). The 3's are "okay", but the 1's are not what you want.

Also, remember that you need to have a power plug or you're going to have to find a way to hide the cord.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm

You are so obsessed with money.
Not really. I could have a lot more if I cared as much as you guys seem to think that I do... Instead I "waste" my time on things like cars, music, bikes, drinks, fashion, cooking, family, etc. rather than focusing on getting more money like most of you guys.

In fact I bet that YOU and probably every other DFD member spends at least 50% more time and effort on making money than I do, so fuck the hell off Dan. You fuckers are the ones whose lives revolve around making money more than mine.
I don't have the choice because no one else is going to support me.

I am actually rather satisfied with my work output/effort versus disposable income... probably about as good as it can get.

Just an observation... you have a lot. Since you love to compare yourself to others, let's do that with me. You have a better car than me, a better bike than me, probably a better computer, more guitars. You have a home and a wife and family who care about you. You have friends here (albeit maybe in a non traditional sense). :iono: why not just enjoy all that?
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:16 pm

I am actually rather satisfied with my work output/effort versus disposable income... probably about as good as it can get.

Just an observation... you have a lot. Since you love to compare yourself to others, let's do that with me. You have a better car than me, a better bike than me, probably a better computer, more guitars. You have a home and a wife and family who care about you. You have friends here (albeit maybe in a non traditional sense). :iono: why not just enjoy all that?
:dat:
max225

You have a better car than me and a better bike, I have a $199 guitar from costco and and a 5 year old iMac... I think if those were the measures most win :lol:
max225

TY for watching out, I think i'll take the :waxer: advice and look into the Sono's 5s. Perhaps I should post somewhere in a house thread... I may need some tips here and there. Now that I am out of an "association" I can dick a lot more with what I have. Although exterior house changes have to go to an "architectural committee" and "signs" are not allowed... which is nice, because last thing I want is someones political statements on my way to the house.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:08 pm I weirdly think that our biggest mistake in house buying was spending too little. :ohwell:
Yea... we went for 1/2 of our "max" amount. But honestly I am not regretting, the risk it too high when you don't factor things like job loss into a house purchase... yes very un-American to think about it like that, but I am not about to change how I deal with money, that's one thing that I feel like I have managed a decent job with. You gotta plan for cash reserves etc... otherwise you're one ass raping away from being on the street.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pm

TY for watching out, I think i'll take the :waxer: advice and look into the Sono's 5s. Perhaps I should post somewhere in a house thread... I may need some tips here and there. Now that I am out of an "association" I can dick a lot more with what I have. Although exterior house changes have to go to an "architectural committee" and "signs" are not allowed... which is nice, because last thing I want is someones political statements on my way to the house.
I love all my Sonos shit. I know it's not the best but it's damn simple and sounds great to me. I have Ones in seven rooms in the house and am eventually going to get the Arc and Bass.
3 votes for sonos... that's :impressive: .
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:popcorn:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

Try on a combo of crippling anxiety, self-loathing, and 24/7 physical pain with a side of hating everything about where you live then get back to me. I do have some pretty nice distractions available thanks to not being poor, but they are not solutions.

The point was that I generally don't care that much about having more money. Anything short of MaxMillions to be able to move to CA/France is simply not enough to really change my life, and I'm unwilling to devote the rest of my life to achieving that so I'm already pretty much "set" financially. This is as good as it gets on that front.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:08 pm I weirdly think that our biggest mistake in house buying was spending too little. :ohwell:
Yea... we went for 1/2 of our "max" amount. But honestly I am not regretting, the risk it too high when you don't factor things like job loss into a house purchase... yes very un-American to think about it like that, but I am not about to change how I deal with money, that's one thing that I feel like I have managed a decent job with. You gotta plan for cash reserves etc... otherwise you're one ass raping away from being on the street.
Yeah, I might be glad someday that we spent a pretty "easy to afford" amount should things change. But when we're paying a bunch extra on the mortgage anyway and houses are appreciating at a very high rate here still, it's kind of like :butwhy: didn't we just spend 1.5X, we would've made more money and paid the same monthly bill.

:ohwell: I feel sometimes I am just too risk averse with such things.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Try on a combo of crippling anxiety, self-loathing, and 24/7 physical pain with a side of hating everything about where you live then get back to me. I do have some pretty nice distractions available thanks to not being poor, but they are not solutions.

The point was that I generally don't care that much about having more money. Anything short of MaxMillions to be able to move to CA/France is simply not enough to really change my life, and I'm unwilling to devote the rest of my life to achieving that so I'm already pretty much "set" financially. This is as good as it gets on that front.
:notbad: way to look at it, IMO. This is basically where I am at as well... I look at my boss for example, I have no interest in taking on that stress and aggravation to be able to buy more shit or whatever. I wouldn't mind actually making commission again at some point but at least they haven't fired me.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Yeah, I might be glad someday that we spent a pretty "easy to afford" amount should things change. But when we're paying a bunch extra on the mortgage anyway and houses are appreciating at a very high rate here still, it's kind of like :butwhy: didn't we just spend 1.5X, we would've made more money and paid the same monthly bill.

Most places charge you 3% at least for mortgage + at least 1% for property tax + at least 1% a year for Repair and maintenance ~ 5-6% MINIMUM annually to have a house. Are you saying your house is out appreciating these carrying costs?
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Most places charge you 3% at least for mortgage + at least 1% for property tax + at least 1% a year for Repair and maintenance ~ 5-6% MINIMUM annually to have a house. Are you saying your house is out appreciating these carrying costs?
You forgot to add rent on the other side of the equation.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pm For what it's worth, for many people working hard is only tangentially connected to making more money.

Lots of us like hard work for the sake of hard work (and unsurprisingly those people also make the most money statistically speaking).
Being paid to do things you enjoy is the penultimate :alpo: luck. (the ultimate being to simply be born wealthy)

Unfortunately most of us prefer doing "worthless" stuff like driving cars or drinking beers or whatever. Turns out most companies aren't hiring for those positions. :jalepenis:

Even you guys must still care about money a lot though. Why else do you choose to work hard in a lucrative field instead of working hard at something worthless? You think that you'd get the same enjoyment out of trying your hardest to be the best ditch digger in history?
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:08 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:02 pm

You forgot to add rent on the other side of the equation.
No I didn't, an argument was made for a "more expensive house". I was arguing that it makes more sense to not go ham, because the carrying costs are significant... and limited return if any.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:34 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:31 pm

I love all my Sonos shit. I know it's not the best but it's damn simple and sounds great to me. I have Ones in seven rooms in the house and am eventually going to get the Arc and Bass.
3 votes for sonos... that's :impressive: .
I like our sonos as well.
:therapist:
max225

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/242 ... e/44182784

Damn Charlotte is a 7 figure place already :mindblown: