OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

At the dealer with a couple of minutes left to spare...

These are nice:

Heyyyy look at this 50th Anni:

Last edited by Tar on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:10 pm

If you have the time, I'd say go for it on the test drive. I always enjoy experiencing a new vehicle. It is also :neat: since you are in some way involved with production of that car.

The new tires on track were actaully disappointing. I felt like I had less grip than June at the same track, when I was on the same tires but beat to hell and 20mm narrower. I think it was just too damn hot for anything to be optimal. It was like 95F and humid, the June day it was more like low 80s, very noticeable difference there.
Did you break them in at all or did they still have mold-release on them?
No, I wasn't able to, so that could play a part as well. They had like 20 street miles on them and then straight onto the track. They did perform better on the third session, could be that the coating was burned off and it had also cooled down a bit.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am
wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am

I haven't boozed in a while. This goes against one of my New Years resolutions. :|
Your resolution was to get :drunk: more? :notbad:
Well, to drink more, anyway, not necessarily to get :drunk: . Since I had to abstain post-surgery for almost 4 months last year I thought I needed to catch up since I missed it. :lol:
I will have some gin tonight since I've had a taste for it for a while.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 am

Your resolution was to get :drunk: more? :notbad:
Well, to drink more, anyway, not necessarily to get :drunk: . Since I had to abstain post-surgery for almost 4 months last year I thought I needed to catch up since I missed it. :lol:
I had like 3 shots of rose vodka Saturday and about 10 Yuenglings.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I drank way too much beer these last few days and that makes me feel like :poop:

I've actually toned down drinking a tad otherwise, feels good overall.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 pm

No, I wasn't able to, so that could play a part as well. They had like 20 street miles on them and then straight onto the track. They did perform better on the third session, could be that the coating was burned off and it had also cooled down a bit.
That’s my guess, you should be good to go now!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 pm At the dealer with a couple of minutes left to spare...

These are nice:

Heyyyy look at this 50th Anni:

:mahman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 pm

:nice:

HOpefully it is a little cooler at VIR Thursday. I'd rather have the grip there anyway, the Roval it doesn't really matter that much, that is just kind of a full send situation regardless. I don't think I'll do the Roval again this year, it's more of a once annual kind of track whereas I could go to VIR or CMP every weekend and never really get bored.

Did you ever hit Road Atlanta, 'pex? I was chatting with a dude who said that it rules, might try to get a day in there in the fall.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 am If you’ve seen the news about a Navy ship catching fire, that’s my shipyard in San Diego. I could smell it burning from my house last night and we got sent home from work this morning due to the air quality in the yard. They can’t get to where the fire is burning, so it sounds like the plan is to let the ship just go down and then we’ll pull it up and salvage what we can for scrap metal. Wild.
I did read about that this morning. That's crazy that they're just going to let it destroy itself. Don't navy ships have on-board automatic fire suppression systems?
Yes, but we were doing a complete overhaul of the ship and almost every system gets disabled during that. I’m guessing that one hadn’t been turned back on yet.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:50 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 pm

HOpefully it is a little cooler at VIR Thursday. I'd rather have the grip there anyway, the Roval it doesn't really matter that much, that is just kind of a full send situation regardless. I don't think I'll do the Roval again this year, it's more of a once annual kind of track whereas I could go to VIR or CMP every weekend and never really get bored.

Did you ever hit Road Atlanta, 'pex? I was chatting with a dude who said that it rules, might try to get a day in there in the fall.
Nah, never got to hit Road Atlanta. Furthest south I got was VIR. :pouroneout: for the oak tree.
Road Atlanta looks awesome and I have heard great things about it from guys who have been there.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I don't know about those falkens specifically, but most tires seem to do better after a good heat cycle or two.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I don't know about those falkens specifically, but most tires seem to do better after a good heat cycle or two.
I wanted to try to heat cycle them and let them rest for 24 hours before the track but never really had time, nor is there anywhere to really get them that hot on the street. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Nah, never got to hit Road Atlanta. Furthest south I got was VIR. :pouroneout: for the oak tree.
Road Atlanta looks awesome and I have heard great things about it from guys who have been there.
Any tracks up your way that can't be missed?

:iono: if I'm going to keep the 'vette forever and may eventually dial it back to just a couple track days/year as it's really fucking expensive and time consuming. I'm sort of in a "have all my fun while I can" mode with tracking right now. Maybe I'll continue to do 5-10 events/year indefinitely, but I have more time than usual now and less shit to spend money on with the 'VID so may as well :stig:
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:00 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

:iono: if I'm going to keep the 'vette forever and may eventually dial it back to just a couple track days/year as it's really fucking expensive and time consuming. I'm sort of in a "have all my fun while I can" mode with tracking right now. Maybe I'll continue to do 5-10 events/year indefinitely, but I have more time than usual now and less shit to spend money on with the 'VID so may as well :stig:
Watkins Glen is epic, if you enjoy the full course at VIR you’ll like the Glen. Just be aware that there is minimal runoff and it’s not easy to paint match that Armco.
It’s my top track for sure; plus the surrounding area is really pretty. Bring the wife up for the weekend if she has any interest, lakeside dinner with some local wine.
Good hiking and stuff too.

Summit Point is highly underrated. Shouldn’t be far for you, but that little track is a lot of fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Watkins Glen is epic, if you enjoy the full course at VIR you’ll like the Glen. Just be aware that there is minimal runoff and it’s not easy to paint match that Armco.
It’s my top track for sure; plus the surrounding area is really pretty. Bring the wife up for the weekend if she has any interest, lakeside dinner with some local wine.

Summit Point is highly underrated. Shouldn’t be far for you, but that little track is a lot of fun.

I shall try to figure out a way to make it to the Glen. Wife has zero interest in track shit but loves to travel, she could chill at the lake or something whenever I hit the track.

I did hit Summit Point once in the :mk6: and it was really fun, hopefully I can get there in the :poorvette: one day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Could also :dock: with :mahtroy:
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm

I shall try to figure out a way to make it to the Glen. Wife has zero interest in track shit but loves to travel, she could chill at the lake or something whenever I hit the track.

I did hit Summit Point once in the :mk6: and it was really fun, hopefully I can get there in the :poorvette: one day.

It’s totally worth it. Tons of cool history up there.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm Could also :dock: with :mahtroy:
Bring the bikes and :drunk: ride the track. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:14 pm Could also :dock: with :mahtroy:
Bring the bikes and :drunk: ride the track. :lol:
Would definitely do that. I'd love to ride up there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:tits: has been wanting to see Niagara Falls actually... could be a :notbad: trip for a week, but I don't think she'll have time off until Thanksgiving :doe: and it's proabbaly freezing by then.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:31 pm

:impressive:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:51 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 pm

I did read about that this morning. That's crazy that they're just going to let it destroy itself. Don't navy ships have on-board automatic fire suppression systems?
Yes, but we were doing a complete overhaul of the ship and almost every system gets disabled during that. I’m guessing that one hadn’t been turned back on yet.
Oh. I see. Do they have any idea as to what caused the :burneverything: in the first place?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:21 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 pm

This is why all I did yesterday was eat pizza.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:24 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:21 pm

This is why all I did yesterday was eat pizza.
:mahman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And also why I won't be drinking for a bit. I am too old for that shit.