Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:51 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:51 pm

Tuna, no crust.
Bullshit asshole no one likes the tuna here.
Yeah, well I do.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm
wap wrote:
Mine is an Inspiron 7000, so not tip top end but not exactly poverty. I7 processor, SSD, Just found the receipt. Bought it on a great sale at Worst Buy. Retailed for $630 and regular price was $930 back in 2017.

I like my old HP, too. Gave it to :tits: when her laptop died and, while slow, it's been good to her.
The lower tiers like inspiron are generally cheaper not in major specs like CPU or memory, but in "less important" areas like display, keyboard, audio, and build quality. That way they can still sell an i7 thing for three figures.
Yea, so I found out. Come to think of it, my old HP's touchscreen works better than this Dell, too.
I'm not gonna spend the dough on an I7 again. For my simple needs I'm sure an I5 will work just fine.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm The lower tiers like inspiron are generally cheaper not in major specs like CPU or memory, but in "less important" areas like display, keyboard, audio, and build quality. That way they can still sell an i7 thing for three figures.
Yea, so I found out. Come to think of it, my old HP's touchscreen works better than this Dell, too.
I'm not gonna spend the dough on an I7 again. For my simple needs I'm sure an I5 will work just fine.
These days almost no one needs an i7. When they went quad core on the mobile i5 line a year or two ago it really was a big jump. My i7 from 4-5 years ago is only dual core.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 pm
wap wrote:
These days almost no one needs an i7. When they went quad core on the mobile i5 line a year or two ago it really was a big jump. My i7 from 4-5 years ago is only dual core.
:word:
I'm really leaning I5.

I want to say this machine is a quad core but I'm :notsure:
wap

I bought the I7 because it was on sale, but I also thought I'd future-proof the thing so it would be still somewhat contemporary for several years. It even had a new-at-the-time USB-C port. I never thought something like a stupid poor hinge design would prematurely kill this thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm
wap wrote:
Mine is an Inspiron 7000, so not tip top end but not exactly poverty. I7 processor, SSD, Just found the receipt. Bought it on a great sale at Worst Buy. Retailed for $630 and regular price was $930 back in 2017.

I like my old HP, too. Gave it to :tits: when her laptop died and, while slow, it's been good to her.
The lower tiers like inspiron are generally cheaper not in major specs like CPU or memory, but in "less important" areas like display, keyboard, audio, and build quality. That way they can still sell an i7 thing for three figures.
:dat:

We have them at work and my Dell laptop is a true piece of shit. The quality and design are just :disgust: , the track pad is frankly unusable, so you have to always have a mouse with you at all times. The 2007 MacBook I have has a better track pad than this POS from 2018. If you connect external display, microphone, speakers, keyboard and mouse to it and just use it as a computer, it is fine.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

slo day in here
brain go brrrrrr
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:51 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 pm The lower tiers like inspiron are generally cheaper not in major specs like CPU or memory, but in "less important" areas like display, keyboard, audio, and build quality. That way they can still sell an i7 thing for three figures.

We have them at work and my Dell laptop is a true piece of shit. The quality and design are just :disgust: , the track pad is frankly unusable, so you have to always have a mouse with you at all times. The 2007 MacBook I have has a better track pad than this POS from 2018. If you connect external display, microphone, speakers, keyboard and mouse to it and just use it as a computer, it is fine.
Hm. Never really had a problem with my trackpad, but I'm now seeing that Dell's build quality is :dislike: :|
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm My laptop went tits up last night. Actually, that's technically not true as I'm typing on it now. The fucking hinges, both of them, broke yesterday when I tried opening it. :wtf: When I tried to open it it started to creak and make cracking sounds and the chassis started separating from the bottom. I took the bottom off and found all 6 screws that held the hinges in place (3 on each side) were stripped. They were screwed into little brass knurled nuts that were set into plastic recesses and all the recesses cracked and the brass nuts were just spinning with nothing holding them in place and the then metal bits the hinges attach to started to bend. The hinges are barely able to be moved by hand, they're so tight. No wonder they broke. It's like they got tighter over time because it didn't always do this. So I got them open to a normal viewing point and managed to get one screw on each hinge to (barely) hold the screen upright so I can use it. But I can't close it, can't travel with it, and I certainly flip it back to tablet mode. Fucking cheap Dell shit. The :rage: thing is that the guts of this thing are pretty good. I7 processor with 12g of memory and a 256g SSD hard drive. The thing is fast and it's been pretty stable for 3 years. I don't ever remember getting a blue screen of death or anything. This thing has a lot of life left in it but it's like Stephen Hawking; great brain in a worthless body. :(

I hate buying computers.
I just got a new MacBook Pro with Windows. Four thunderbolt ports, that's it. i9, terrabyte of memory, whadda whadda. I use it for my office computer. It was expensive but it runs strong AF.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 am

Hm. Never really had a problem with my trackpad, but I'm now seeing that Dell's build quality is :dislike: :|
Like Griff said just use it as a home computer and hook up eternal monitor(s) and a keyboard.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 am
wap wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 pm My laptop went tits up last night. Actually, that's technically not true as I'm typing on it now. The fucking hinges, both of them, broke yesterday when I tried opening it. :wtf: When I tried to open it it started to creak and make cracking sounds and the chassis started separating from the bottom. I took the bottom off and found all 6 screws that held the hinges in place (3 on each side) were stripped. They were screwed into little brass knurled nuts that were set into plastic recesses and all the recesses cracked and the brass nuts were just spinning with nothing holding them in place and the then metal bits the hinges attach to started to bend. The hinges are barely able to be moved by hand, they're so tight. No wonder they broke. It's like they got tighter over time because it didn't always do this. So I got them open to a normal viewing point and managed to get one screw on each hinge to (barely) hold the screen upright so I can use it. But I can't close it, can't travel with it, and I certainly flip it back to tablet mode. Fucking cheap Dell shit. The :rage: thing is that the guts of this thing are pretty good. I7 processor with 12g of memory and a 256g SSD hard drive. The thing is fast and it's been pretty stable for 3 years. I don't ever remember getting a blue screen of death or anything. This thing has a lot of life left in it but it's like Stephen Hawking; great brain in a worthless body. :(

I hate buying computers.
I just got a new MacBook Pro with Windows. Four thunderbolt ports, that's it. i9, terrabyte of memory, whadda whadda. I use it for my office computer. It was expensive but it runs strong AF.
:nice: but I don't need near that much firepower for just a laptop that I use for surfing, DFD'ing, emailing, etc.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:40 am
wap wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 am

Like Griff said just use it as a home computer and hook up eternal monitor(s) and a keyboard.
I've already got a much better desktop for home computing needs :doe: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 am

I hate buying computers.
I'm far from an Apple loyalist, but their laptops are very nice. $$$ but they do last quite a while and you get what you pay for with better design and quality in the hardware. Mac OS is just meh IMO, both on computer and phone.
wap

Slow as :balls: in here today, as :fax: said. :|

Dead quiet here at work, too.
wap

Tre
wap

:rage:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 am Slow as :balls: in here today, as :fax: said. :|

Dead quiet here at work, too.
What do you want to talk about?

Man, I can't wait for my back to stop hurting, want to get biking again.

:doge: got neutered yesterday. I feel bad for the poor cone head.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

My work laptop was an HP. It was solidly meh. Decently fast but in typical windows fashion would sometimes slow to a crawl for no reason.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:24 pm

My work laptop was an HP. It was solidly meh. Decently fast but in typical windows fashion would sometimes slow to a crawl for no reason.
Is it BROME stealing all your data and eating all them RAMZ
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:57 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:40 am

I've already got a much better desktop for home computing needs :doe: .
I see. Have you heard about our lord and savior JB Weld?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 pm

What do you use?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:21 pm

What do you use?
I am partial to apple... Brofari
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

My bromebook only runs brome and seems totally fine doing so with about 20 tabs open.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:43 pm Is it BROME stealing all your data and eating all them RAMZ
My bromebook only runs brome and seems totally fine doing so with about 20 tabs open.
I think my wife normally has like 50+ tabs open. I don't know how she keeps track of them.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:21 pm

What do you use?
I am partial to apple... Brofari
I collect old Macs.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.