OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:47 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 pm
Oh man, I replaced so many sash cords over the years. Kind of a satisfying project once the windows work correctly again. I'm actually a bit :amaze: that you can even find new sash cord in the hardware store. I thought it'd be a bit like trying to buy a buggy whip, but I guess there are still enough old houses around to justify the continued manufacture of it.
Question, are you replacing with actual new cord (cotton rope) or chain? I've heard that cord actually lasts longer than chain so I've been using cord. I guess that's believable based on how many original cords I still have that haven't broken yet after 114 years. :impressive: , really.
When we bought the house, I identified a number of windows that needed the sash cords replaced. I put it off until quarantine when I was stuck in the office with both windows inop. I went to the local Ace, and not only did they have "sash cord" in the rope section, but they also had "sash chain" by the foot in the hardware section. The chain would have been triple the price of the cotton/nylon (it's a blend with a nylon core and cotton outter), so I just went with the cord. After doing it, the chain would have been much more of a pain, so I'm happy with my decision. There's tons of old houses in our area, so I suspect this might be unique to our area.

My windows are a mega bitch to get at the weights though. The only access doors are on the outter window channel, which have been painted shut for decades. After scraping paint off, getting the access doors out was a PITA, and putting them back in was even worse. One window I need to repair because I broke it, and fortunately found some old window channel under the porch (where there's tons of ancient scrapwood from building the house). I'm debating if it's worth the hassle of repairing, or if we should just replace the windows on the 2nd floor. They're old AF, but nothing special. In decent shape, but require quite a bit of work. In addition, someone put storm windows on in the 80's, and they've weathered pretty poorly. Replacing the windows would be a nice improvement. Probably $10k :doe:
Yea I hate when I break those little access panels. They require some work to get them out but I found a small pry bar and a screw driver usually works with minimal damage.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm

A whole :haus: attic fan is fantastic at this. Got one that was installed 67 years ago that works like a fucking champ. Pulls in air strongly from every open window in the house.
They do work great, just take up a lot of space. We don't have anywhere practical to put one.
Ours is just in the ceiling in the upstairs hallway. Totally unfinished attic, :doe:
wap

Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:51 pm Looks like the office is going to start moving people back in starting on June 8th, with additional waves of people going back in July and August based on how June works out.
:sad: I’ll have to put shoes on to work.
:pouroneout:
wap

dubshow wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:08 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:42 pm

A whole :haus: attic fan is fantastic at this. Got one that was installed 67 years ago that works like a fucking champ. Pulls in air strongly from every open window in the house.
:notsure:
It was put in in 1953. The lady we bought the house from told us the story. She was pregnant that year and it was a HOT summer (confirmed by my mom who also remembers that summer being hot), so they put in the fan.
wap

Melon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm I've only seen a few houses down here with an attic fan, it's an interesting piece of equipment.
Such whoosh.

Not really useful with our liquid lava air climate. Central HVAC has taken over since the 70's.
Yea, not as usable down there, I would imagine. We mostly use it at night when the temps drop to bring in the cooler air. By mid-late summer, when even the nights are in the 80's and humid we don't use it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:51 pm Looks like the office is going to start moving people back in starting on June 8th, with additional waves of people going back in July and August based on how June works out.
:ohdang:

We just got an email today that basically said the general population wont return to the office until September at the earliest.

Currently we're allowing those who are required to be there for their function, and just starting to let those that need the office to be able to a portion of their function - basically if they need software or equipment that isn't accessible via home-office - they go in, do what they need to do, then :gtfo:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm

We just got an email today that basically said the general population wont return to the office until September at the earliest.

Currently we're allowing those who are required to be there for their function, and just starting to let those that need the office to be able to a portion of their function - basically if they need software or equipment that isn't accessible via home-office - they go in, do what they need to do, then :gtfo:
My old place is saying September too.

The new gig has super old school :wap: s running the place that still don’t believe in WFH. :sad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Does this change much for you?

No traveling until the end of September?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex

I’m going to miss my current dress code:
No shirt.
No shoes.
No problem.

:hue:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:47 pm

Does this change much for you?

No traveling until the end of September?
No, not really.

We haven't received any specific guidance on travel, but speculation is that we won't travel until August/September at the earliest. And probably no air travel before the end of the year.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Defend your franchise :mahtroy:

https://www.wafb.com/2020/05/27/update- ... -employee/
HARVEY, La. (WVUE) -The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office has made an arrest in the brutal attack of an employee at Little Caesar’s Pizza in Harvey.

Police arrested Tyrone Constant around midnight near the intersection of Manhattan and LaPalco Blvd.

Constant was identified as the suspect in the May 23 machete attack in the 1600 block of Gretna Blvd. in which a 20-year-old woman suffered multiple severe lacerations to her face and head.

The victim, Jazmyn Fradieu, is now home recovering from severe wounds to her face, back, shoulders, and other areas of her body.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 pm I’m going to miss my current dress code:
No shirt.
No shoes.
No problem.

:hue:
Ive donned tshirt and flops at the office a number of days. No one here anyway. :ohwell:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:39 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:08 pm

:notsure:
It was put in in 1953. The lady we bought the house from told us the story. She was pregnant that year and it was a HOT summer (confirmed by my mom who also remembers that summer being hot), so they put in the fan.
I was about to not believe your transcendence of time. Carry on elder Trudy.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Melon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm
Yea, you guys NEED central AC. No way around that.
Some say, you're still sweating from that day in June.
:dat:

Misery.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:47 pm
When we bought the house, I identified a number of windows that needed the sash cords replaced. I put it off until quarantine when I was stuck in the office with both windows inop. I went to the local Ace, and not only did they have "sash cord" in the rope section, but they also had "sash chain" by the foot in the hardware section. The chain would have been triple the price of the cotton/nylon (it's a blend with a nylon core and cotton outter), so I just went with the cord. After doing it, the chain would have been much more of a pain, so I'm happy with my decision. There's tons of old houses in our area, so I suspect this might be unique to our area.

My windows are a mega bitch to get at the weights though. The only access doors are on the outter window channel, which have been painted shut for decades. After scraping paint off, getting the access doors out was a PITA, and putting them back in was even worse. One window I need to repair because I broke it, and fortunately found some old window channel under the porch (where there's tons of ancient scrapwood from building the house). I'm debating if it's worth the hassle of repairing, or if we should just replace the windows on the 2nd floor. They're old AF, but nothing special. In decent shape, but require quite a bit of work. In addition, someone put storm windows on in the 80's, and they've weathered pretty poorly. Replacing the windows would be a nice improvement. Probably $10k :doe:
Yea I hate when I break those little access panels. They require some work to get them out but I found a small pry bar and a screw driver usually works with minimal damage.
Mine were CAKED with paint. I was replacing the original cords from 110 years ago, so it took a lot of persuasion to get the panels out. I actually ended up cutting the paint as much as I could, and whacking it with a hammer to loosen. The one I broke had no hope of being removed without damage.

In hindsight, I should have used the oscillating saw to cut new panels in the sash channels. Would have been faster and cleaner. That's what I'll do going forward, there's only a few more that need to be fixed.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 pm
They do work great, just take up a lot of space. We don't have anywhere practical to put one.
Ours is just in the ceiling in the upstairs hallway. Totally unfinished attic, :doe:
Yea, we have a somewhat finished attic, so there really isn't a good place to put the fan.
ChrisoftheNorth

That's how my company is treating it too. They forced everyone to take a "returning to work" online training course, and the first wave is :mindblown:

1.) No less than 2 hours before work, you must take you temp and log it along with other answers to questions in an app
2.) When you get to work, the app is checked by a security official, and you're given a mask, gloves, AND safety glasses to wear...you cannot bring your own
3.) All of the above must be worn 100% of the time
4.) All meeting rooms and general congregation areas are closed and locked
5.) No in person meetings allowed, even if in the office, remote meetings are required
6.) Get work done and GTFO

The only reason I'd go back to the office is to attend in person meetings at the design area and engineering labs. Since all that's closed, it's going to be A WHILE until I go back.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:46 pm

The new gig has super old school :wap: s running the place that still don’t believe in WFH. :sad:
You might be surprised. I've been saying the same thing for a while, and my team has been told to expect no return to work date yet.

My bosses must be losing it, assuming we're all off :derp: ing and not working like we're supposed to be. :rolleyes:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
4zilch wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm :ohdang:

That's how my company is treating it too. They forced everyone to take a "returning to work" online training course, and the first wave is :mindblown:

1.) No less than 2 hours before work, you must take you temp and log it along with other answers to questions in an app
2.) When you get to work, the app is checked by a security official, and you're given a mask, gloves, AND safety glasses to wear...you cannot bring your own
5.) No in person meetings allowed, even if in the office, remote meetings are required

The only reason I'd go back to the office is to attend in person meetings at the design area and engineering labs. Since all that's closed, it's going to be A WHILE until I go back.
Why even go in at all with those restrictions?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:41 pm

:wat: deets about your :haus:
We live in a :fancy: area about 10 miles northwest of downtown Detroit. One of the more desirable cities, it's just 6 streets and tough to get into.

:haus: is 2.4k sq ft, which is WAY too big for just us, but we wanted the area and our house is one of the smallest. It was also built in 1910, and we're suckers for old houses. It's a classic prairie style 4 square with 10 foot ceilings and old growth oak woodwork everywhere. We're on .27 of an acre, which that lot size is what drew us to the area in the first place, massive for the "city".

We paid $420k :hue: for it almost 2 years ago now, which was decently below market value. Then I built a garagehaul last year (the old garage was falling down), and that's what :triggered: the city into thinking our house is worth $550k.
Ok that's not bad. I was looking around houses basically up to 10 mins outside of DC and found this. I know zillow is basically inaccurate, but not far off either.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2257 ... 7330_zpid/

and this this time around
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5944 ... 1669_zpid/
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:23 pm
Detroit wrote: That's how my company is treating it too. They forced everyone to take a "returning to work" online training course, and the first wave is :mindblown:

Why even go in at all with those restrictions?
Some people have to. Plant workers can't build cars at home. Engineers need access to high power computers, build prototypes, test vehicles, etc.

Me as a ppt jocky, won't be going into the office for a while. I'm actually not even allowed in.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 pm
We live in a :fancy: area about 10 miles northwest of downtown Detroit. One of the more desirable cities, it's just 6 streets and tough to get into.

:haus: is 2.4k sq ft, which is WAY too big for just us, but we wanted the area and our house is one of the smallest. It was also built in 1910, and we're suckers for old houses. It's a classic prairie style 4 square with 10 foot ceilings and old growth oak woodwork everywhere. We're on .27 of an acre, which that lot size is what drew us to the area in the first place, massive for the "city".

We paid $420k :hue: for it almost 2 years ago now, which was decently below market value. Then I built a garagehaul last year (the old garage was falling down), and that's what :triggered: the city into thinking our house is worth $550k.
Ok that's not bad. I was looking around houses basically up to 10 mins outside of DC and found this. I know zillow is basically inaccurate, but not far off either.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2257 ... 7330_zpid/

and this this time around
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5944 ... 1669_zpid/
Dang. I had no idea how expensive that area is.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:23 pm Why even go in at all with those restrictions?
Some people have to. Plant workers can't build cars at home. Engineers need access to high power computers, build prototypes, test vehicles, etc.

Me as a ppt jocky, won't be going into the office for a while. I'm actually not even allowed in.
Ahhh that's better. People who don't need to be there shouldn't be allowed in, that's exactly the way to do it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Some people have to. Plant workers can't build cars at home. Engineers need access to high power computers, build prototypes, test vehicles, etc.

Ahhh that's better. People who don't need to be there shouldn't be allowed in, that's exactly the way to do it.
You have to have a specific job reason to go into the office. We've been told we don't have any reasons at this time and to stay home.

Fine by me. In fact, I think this should be the norm. I'd be fine going in just once or twice a week just for my meetings and bail.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:16 pm
Apex wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:46 pm

You might be surprised. I've been saying the same thing for a while, and my team has been told to expect no return to work date yet.

My bosses must be losing it, assuming we're all off :derp: ing and not working like we're supposed to be. :rolleyes:
My boss has been very forthcoming whenever I ask him about this stuff. He and I are on the same page I think.

We’ll see what happens.