OT 18: Anti-Social Distancing

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:09 am

The thought has crossed my mind. Depends on what the WFH policy looks like post COVID to see if I want to do that commute. 78->287->1 could be a nightmare during rush hour.
I've considered this commute many times and it's a big nope
My current (when I go back to the office) 287->1 route isn’t bad. But adding too much time on 78 makes me question a lot of things.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:18 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 am

IF I was really shopping today, I would love to check this out in person. Probably too tiny, but I like it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-H ... 0511_zpid/
I honestly think 1-1.5k sq ft is the ideal size. Unless you plan on having another little one, this could have potential. That lot is :fuckyeah:
One and done with the little ones. Wifeys only complaints are she thought the bedrooms may be too small but that’s not the easiest to see in basic pictures.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:29 pm
I honestly think 1-1.5k sq ft is the ideal size. Unless you plan on having another little one, this could have potential. That lot is :fuckyeah:
One and done with the little ones. Wifeys only complaints are she thought the bedrooms may be too small but that’s not the easiest to see in basic pictures.
WAY too hard to tell from pictures, and it looks like they could have some pretty large beds in those rooms, which throws off the scale.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 am
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am

Yup, but taxes are still in the 8-12k range in a lot of those places.
We pay $11k for our house "worth" $550k (according to the county).

Taxes suck, but I've found it best to just accept it as a fact and :ohwell: deal with it. If you like the AREA (way more important than the house itself IMO), and can afford it, then whatever.
:wat: deets about your :haus:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:29 pm
Honestly that depends on the design on the house itself, I know my cousins 4 bedroom with 4 baths and another bedroom on the basement, one of the bedrooms is super tiny, almost like it belongs in a non garaged townhouse tiny, while the rest of the rooms are a lot bigger in comparison. Sometimes the realtors would try to make the previous owner to minimize as much furniture as possible to make the room to appear bigger in pics. It sucks especially when you have tons of stuff in the house and stuff it in the garage or rent a storage, which happened to some people that I knew who went through that.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:37 am We pay $11k for our house "worth" $550k (according to the county).

Taxes suck, but I've found it best to just accept it as a fact and :ohwell: deal with it. If you like the AREA (way more important than the house itself IMO), and can afford it, then whatever.
:wat: deets about your :haus:
We live in a :fancy: area about 10 miles northwest of downtown Detroit. One of the more desirable cities, it's just 6 streets and tough to get into.

:haus: is 2.4k sq ft, which is WAY too big for just us, but we wanted the area and our house is one of the smallest. It was also built in 1910, and we're suckers for old houses. It's a classic prairie style 4 square with 10 foot ceilings and old growth oak woodwork everywhere. We're on .27 of an acre, which that lot size is what drew us to the area in the first place, massive for the "city".

We paid $420k :hue: for it almost 2 years ago now, which was decently below market value. Then I built a garagehaul last year (the old garage was falling down), and that's what :triggered: the city into thinking our house is worth $550k.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

One of the listings I was looking at mentioned it was one of those old Sears houses. I know they were talked about here before and I thought it was :neat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:55 pm One of the listings I was looking at mentioned it was one of those old Sears houses. I know they were talked about here before and I thought it was :neat:
Sears houses are super :neat: We have a number in our area, and it's fun to spot them and match them to the old listings.

They were also really well built. A neighborhood historian here told us that they came in a train box car, and you could rent the box car to store the house parts as you built it. As a result, the houses tend to be clustered near railroad tracks, and there were builders that specialized in building the houses that could get them up within a few days so you didn't have to rent the boxcar for too long.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm
Apex wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:55 pm One of the listings I was looking at mentioned it was one of those old Sears houses. I know they were talked about here before and I thought it was :neat:
Sears houses are super :neat: We have a number in our area, and it's fun to spot them and match them to the old listings.

They were also really well built. A neighborhood historian here told us that they came in a train box car, and you could rent the box car to store the house parts as you built it. As a result, the houses tend to be clustered near railroad tracks, and there were builders that specialized in building the houses that could get them up within a few days so you didn't have to rent the boxcar for too long.
That’s some :neat: history.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat: They were good quality :haus: s. We supposedly have 2 Sears houses in our town. I know of one, and it's quite :nice: , but haven't found the other one yet.

Interesting about the box car storage, specialized builders, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:27 pm

:dat: They were good quality :haus: s. We supposedly have 2 Sears houses in our town. I know of one, and it's quite :nice: , but haven't found the other one yet.

When you realize craftman style house = Sears kit house :mindblown:.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:29 pm

:ohdang:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

We have a shit ton of old craftsman style houses in my neighborhood of SD. Some have been nicely renovated recently. We’ve looked at renting a few, but most are 600-800 sqft with really low ceilings and I feel claustrophobic in them. I’m gonna need some newer, bigger construction.
ChrisoftheNorth

While convenient, I don't believe that's the case. "Craftsman" houses were a west coast trend at the turn of the 20th century rebelling from the gaudy Victorian style homes of the east coast, simple with gorgeous woodwork built by craftsman. If anything, Sears named craftsman after that movement.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:46 pm We have a shit ton of old craftsman style houses in my neighborhood of SD. Some have been nicely renovated recently. We’ve looked at renting a few, but most are 600-800 sqft with really low ceilings and I feel claustrophobic in them. I’m gonna need some newer, bigger construction.
I dream of owning/restoring a west coast craftsman. Problem is they're crazy pricey.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:46 pm We have a shit ton of old craftsman style houses in my neighborhood of SD. Some have been nicely renovated recently. We’ve looked at renting a few, but most are 600-800 sqft with really low ceilings and I feel claustrophobic in them. I’m gonna need some newer, bigger construction.
I dream of owning/restoring a west coast craftsman. Problem is they're crazy pricey.
Yeah man, you’re paying a minimum of 600k for a 600sqft box in my hood if you go craftsman. :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:48 pm
Yeah man, you’re paying a minimum of 600k for a 600sqft box in my hood if you go craftsman. :nope:
Yea...that's why I just can't do CA.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

:doge:
wap

While convenient, I don't believe that's the case. "Craftsman" houses were a west coast trend at the turn of the 20th century rebelling from the gaudy Victorian style homes of the east coast, simple with gorgeous woodwork built by craftsman. If anything, Sears named craftsman after that movement.
I tend to believe :dat: is closer to the :fax:
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:50 pm Image

:doge:
:dedong:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

It's currently 82F in my living room and 86F in my bedroom. :thisisfine:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:09 pm It's currently 82F in my living room and 86F in my bedroom. :thisisfine:
Well, you DID :eeyore: over the cold weather... I guess this is nature's payback
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:09 pm It's currently 82F in my living room and 86F in my bedroom. :thisisfine:
What the fuck? Wasn’t it just below freezing the other day? That’s some bullshit weather right there.
troyguitar

SAWCE wrote:
What the fuck? Wasn’t it just below freezing the other day? That’s some bullshit weather right there.
Yep. It was 32F on Wednesday morning IIRC. 90 today.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
Fucking hell
Yeah. Air conditioning would be nice.